Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

What's with the US's lack of chip cards? We've been using them for a few years up in Canada and it seems to be fairly secure as long as you keep your pin secret. Do you guys get paypass on your CC? Kinda nifty to just bring your card up to a prox enabled scanner and have the transaction done in about 2 seconds. (We keep the security on it by limiting it to $50 for prox transactions, you can go bigger if you ask your bank and the merchant allows it on their side)

Only time I use the mag stripe on the cards is when I take a trip down to the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's in the process of happening I think. Everything in the US happens really slowly because big businesses don't want to spend money to change.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I keep hoping that maybe one or two more posts will clear this out of your systems, but no... apparently pumping gas is of more interest than the P1 :psyduck:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I keep hoping that maybe one or two more posts will clear this out of your systems, but no... apparently pumping gas is of more interest than the P1 :psyduck:

That's because we understand pumping gas. (Except for NJ) the P1 is some mythical beast that we see but cannot comprehend so we stick to the simple things and try not to boil our brains thinking about it.

Having said that...

The P1 is unbelievable, absolutely gorgeous and the engineering behind it is making me swoon. :swoon: I hope this supercar can inspire others in it's philosophy of using the eco friendly bits in conjunction with the petrol bits to give the best performance in terms of acceleration and driving experience rather than just fuel economy. Intelligent aero just looks so sci-fi in action, that exhaust flame is mesmerising, there isn't an angle or colour that doesn't make this thing look beautiful. It's as much a piece of art as it is an engineering marvel.

I want one (if I could ever afford one)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've seen a P1, I've never used a US petrol station.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

InitialDave posted:

I've seen a P1, I've never used a US petrol station.

All US petrol stations are run by hicks like when Top Gear visited Alabama and had Hillary is great spray painted onto their cars. Then you get chased for a few miles by shirtless sweaty men in the back of an old pickup truck. Also we all have guns.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Alighieri posted:

All US petrol stations are run by hicks like when Top Gear visited Alabama and had Hillary is great spray painted onto their cars. Then you get chased for a few miles by shirtless sweaty men in the back of an old pickup truck. Also we all have guns.

These things are all true.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I hope the weather gets better for the P1 tracktest, its been absolutely dreadful this week. The track was so waterlogged during this weeks test of the Zenvo STI that not even the Stig could get it around.

(according to somebody on another forum who works at the aerodrome)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

twoot posted:

I hope the weather gets better for the P1 tracktest, its been absolutely dreadful this week. The track was so waterlogged during this weeks test of the Zenvo STI that not even the Stig could get it around.

(according to somebody on another forum who works at the aerodrome)

I was wondering during the episode whether the super-lovely weather they had during the SIARPC segment was one of the reasons they didn't lap test the P1 - it really wouldn't surprise me.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Just got my new credit card as a result of the Target breach.

The look of the rear end of the P1 with the negative space, big grille, and visible mechanicals is just spectacular. I'm sure the autists here can point out plenty of examples of road cars that have done something similar in the past, but to me the P1 is an absolute standout because of that rear end design.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

murphle posted:

Just got my new credit card as a result of the Target breach.

The look of the rear end of the P1 with the negative space, big grille, and visible mechanicals is just spectacular. I'm sure the autists here can point out plenty of examples of road cars that have done something similar in the past, but to me the P1 is an absolute standout because of that rear end design.

The rear end of the p1 reminds me of a cross between the Mazda furai concept and the F40.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FogHelmut posted:

I live in NJ where the government has decided we are too incompetent to pump fuel, so I just hand my credit card out the window to the person who operates the pump for me.

Oooooh, look at his majesty, king of not pumping his own gas!

For serious, dude flipped the gently caress out at me in Oregon when I got out and grabbed the pump. Thought he was gonna have a heart attack.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Daric posted:

The zip code thing is just so they can get a feel for where most of their customers are coming from. It's not a serious issue like y'all are making it out to be and you can just put fake numbers in there.

As already mentioned this is for validation that you are not using a stolen card. It can be for customer tracking, but not always. Gas stations are actually high on the fraud list. As it was once explained to me by someone who worked for a credit card company. Stolen cards typically have a use pattern. The first use of a stolen card is often a distance from where the card was lost. It's typically used to make a small purchase at a automated sales point, like gas pumps. The reason for this is simple. You want to see if the card has been reported stolen and deactivated. If you are standing at a Best Buy with a $2000 TV in front of a sales clerk, questions will get asked. If the pump says no, get in the car and drive off. If it says yes, try for the TV.

Interestingly enough, the gas station right next to my house never asks for my zip. It's like they know me or something. How neighborly.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Mister Kingdom posted:

Still, could be worse.

Yeah, people could be claiming that the 4C is ugly. I mean, imagine how wrong of an opinion that would be.

For real though, the entire episode was pretty good. Filming the 4C segment around Lake Como was absolutely appropriate, too. It has the landscape to match the car.
The same logic doesn't necessarily apply to filming the P1 in Belgium, because every time I've been to Belgium it didn't look like I was in the future. The P1 is literally a spaceship, however.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Good episode. Clarkson complaining about an American destroying their footage was pretty funny and goddamn the new Alfa and McLaren look amazing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I wonder if the P1 might be kind of sterile and clinical to drive though. Sort of like the GTR where there is so much technology that you end up being as much passenger as driver.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

8ender posted:

I wonder if the P1 might be kind of sterile and clinical to drive though. Sort of like the GTR where there is so much technology that you end up being as much passenger as driver.

Clarkson's face certainly didn't indicate anything of the sort

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That means squat. The first time ever the GT-R was on Top Gear, they called it sterile. Further reviews, which I suppose happened due to model refreshes, suddenly made it the best affordable sports car ever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TG changes its mind on cars all the time. Remember how enraptured they were by the new Jaguar XJ? How they were so thrilled that it was "a Jaaaaag, but sort of modern"? How it was breaking new ground stylistically, steering away from its ever-unchanging roots?

Right up to the point when that XJ concept by Bertone showed up, at which point they suddenly were all "eeeehhh" about the actual Jag they had been masturbating over just a few episodes prior.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The GTR is Japanese. Standard Top Gear terminology for Japanese cars is sterile, cold, no soul, computers, no feeling, disconnected.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Better than their view of American cars at least.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Larrymer posted:

Better than their view of American cars at least.

"This bodywork is made of the same plastic they use to make newsreaders over here."

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The GTR is Japanese. Standard Top Gear terminology for Japanese cars is sterile, cold, no soul, computers, no feeling, disconnected.

Hammond was pretty wild about the LF-A.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Plucky Brit posted:

"This bodywork is made of the same plastic they use to make newsreaders over here."

"It has too much power, it is completely unwieldy, it creaks and groans, and it is made with old technology invented before the wheel. Oh my god its how cheap? Yes! YES, I WANT ONE!"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I do not like the gtr but I'm pretty sure my boss has ordered a p1 so I'll let him tell us how it is. I expect it's completely loving berserk though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

4:50

"When you really get going at this kind of speed, you expect to feel detached from the action like you're playing a video game depressing buttons, but it - incredibly - it feels mechanical, it feels analogue, it feels human.

If feels fan-bleeding-tastic!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFSVoVqhYw

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mods, are there not rules in place to prevent posters using twitter screenshots as touchés when they themselves have favorited them?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ola posted:

Mods, are there not rules in place to prevent posters using twitter screenshots as touchés when they themselves have favorited them?

Can you explain this sentence to me?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ariza posted:

No. It's one of those "if you get it you get it" things.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ariza posted:

It's a joke.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I live in NJ where the government has decided we are too incompetent to pump fuel, so I just hand my credit card out the window to the person who operates the pump for me.

This is cool until the loving retard you hand your card to and say "fill it with 93" fills it with 87 instead because he's a loving retard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

This is cool until the loving retard you hand your card to and say "fill it with 93" fills it with 87 instead because he's a loving retard.

NJ brought back gas station attendants? That's kinda awesome. Do they were those white uniforms and talk in 1920's lingo?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Solice Kirsk posted:

NJ brought back gas station attendants? That's kinda awesome. Do they were those white uniforms and talk in 1920's lingo?

Brought back? Is been that way as long as I can remember. The legend goes that if the law was changed to allow people to pump their own gas a huge amount of jobs will be eliminated so anytime getting rid of it is proposed it gets shot down quickly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GutBomb posted:

Brought back? Is been that way as long as I can remember. The legend goes that if the law was changed to allow people to pump their own gas a huge amount of jobs will be eliminated so anytime getting rid of it is proposed it gets shot down quickly.

Oregon is the same way. Only two states where you're not allowed to pump your own gas. Unless you're on a bike, in which case the attendant just hands you the nozzle and lets you deal with it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I've never been to NJ or OR so I've never encountered a gas station attendant besides the people that ring you out if you need snacks or your card doesn't work. Seems like it would kinda be awesome.

I would constantly say, "Fill her up my good man!" Just seems fun I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Solice Kirsk posted:

No. They, uh, seldom speak English.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Oregon is the same way. Only two states where you're not allowed to pump your own gas. Unless you're on a bike, in which case the attendant just hands you the nozzle and lets you deal with it.

Or diesel, in Oregon. I had the opposite of the normal awkward out of stater experience where they try to pump their own gas without knowing they can't. I pulled up to the diesel pump and sat there waiting, "knowing" that I couldn't pump it myself. Waited for a few minutes before going inside and being told that I had to pump it myself.

Is it the same with diesel in NJ?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just watched this episode expecting half of it to bash Americans and came away pretty confused over how butthurt some here seemed to be.

I really hope they put some cars around the track. I'm curious how fast the Alfa ran and I'm still hoping they put the 991 around the track some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Just watched this episode expecting half of it to bash Americans and came away pretty confused over how butthurt some here seemed to be.

I really hope they put some cars around the track. I'm curious how fast the Alfa ran and I'm still hoping they put the 991 around the track some time.

Can you please take your top gear talk somewhere else? This is the gas station fill up megathread.