Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
In Iraq related news, everyone's favorite Shia firebrand Moqtada al-Sadr has announced that he's "retiring" from politics.

al-Akhbar posted:

Powerful Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, leader of a major political movement and a key figure in post-Saddam Iraq, has announced his exit from politics two months before elections.

The decision, if confirmed as permanent, brings to a close a political career that began with his fierce opposition to the US military presence in Iraq, and has spanned more than a decade.

"I announce my non-intervention in all political affairs and that there is no bloc that represents us from now on, nor any position inside or outside the government nor parliament," Sadr said in a written statement received by AFP on Sunday.

Ahead of legislative elections in April, Sadr's movement currently holds six cabinet posts as well as 40 seats in the 325-member parliament.

He also said his movement's political offices will be closed, but that others related to social welfare, media and education will remain open.

It was not immediately clear if the move was temporary or permanent, with Sadrist officials saying they had been taken by surprise and could not clarify.

http://english.al-akhbar.com/conten...lAkhbarEnglish+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Smashurbanipal posted:

In Iraq related news, everyone's favorite Shia firebrand Moqtada al-Sadr has announced that he's "retiring" from politics.

http://english.al-akhbar.com/conten...lAkhbarEnglish+

He recently discoverd Steam and bought a new rig.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

Username: "ASHURAxJIHADx420"

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Username: "ASHURAxJIHADx420"

"And in other news, the release of a game called Insurgency has drastically driven down the number of active insurgents around the world. But will we see an upcoming generation of home-grown insurgents influenced by this highly detailed simulator? Stay tuned for more."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

No joke, one of his nicknames when he was in seminary at Qom was "Muqtada al-Atari" for his love of video games.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

suboptimal posted:

No joke, one of his nicknames when he was in seminary at Qom was "Muqtada al-Atari" for his love of video games.

That is actually true. Wow.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
So it looks like the regime is gaining ground in Aleppo?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah they are really gaining depth to their positions

Or you aren't talking about that Hotel getting sapped? :v:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Iraqi army humvee here. Doesn't appear to be up-armored.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
:stare:

Is there a video for that?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like a screenshot from one, but I wouldn't know where to find it. It'll probably find its way into an ISIS promo video intro at some point.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Iraqi army humvee here. Doesn't appear to be up-armored.

Would it matter if it was uparmored?

:stonk:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the hell happened there, why is an humvee flying with a guy going all :derp:?

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Mans posted:

What the hell happened there, why is an humvee flying with a guy going all :derp:?

http://justpaste.it/anbar33

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the Islamic Front dragging what's reportedly a Hezbollah member through Yabrod :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cim0deZmgcw

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo, it is up-armored. M1151. The doors look like paper towels, and it cleared the power lines. :stonk:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Holy poo poo, it is up-armored. M1151. The doors look like paper towels, and it cleared the power lines. :stonk:

There's a another guy flying out the rear driver side door.

:stonk:

And, looking at the one before that, at the edge of the black circle, the cupola gunner got thrown out of the turret as well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's such a blatant trigger point too. Look at how mangled the side of the road is right in front of the telephone pole where they buried it. The reddest of red flags.

VVV Yeah it might be. Given that it looks like there's explosives buried underneath the road itself, it can't have been that pretty of a job either way.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 17, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Volkerball posted:

It's such a blatant trigger point too. Look at how mangled the side of the road is right in front of the telephone pole where they buried it. The reddest of red flags.

I'm not sure if that's a buried dirt or not. It could be the split second just as the explosion is forming.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
A second Konkors video from Yabroud:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wj4xgDnJrI

The whole terrain around the city is like this, except on the eastern side where it is one long mountain ridge overlooking the highway. At this rate the regime will have a hard time getting in.

This video shows some infantry activity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERwEDZNS8kk
If you notice, almost everybody is wearing matching desert camouflage, and there are some pre-prepared emplacements. The start of the battle for Yabroud has coincided with the creation of a joint command room involving all rebel groups in the area, as well as subordinate rooms to command the battle on a more local level. My guess is this is going to be nowhere near as easy as Quseir was for the regime and Hezbullah, although they are much more prepared for it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

We can't stop here, this is Konkurs country! :stare:

Yeah I'm starting to think that the whole regime plan of "We'll just bombard everything really good and then waltz in!" isn't going to be working out.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Muffiner posted:

The whole terrain around the city is like this, except on the eastern side where it is one long mountain ridge overlooking the highway. At this rate the regime will have a hard time getting in.

If you notice, almost everybody is wearing matching desert camouflage, and there are some pre-prepared emplacements. The start of the battle for Yabroud has coincided with the creation of a joint command room involving all rebel groups in the area, as well as subordinate rooms to command the battle on a more local level. My guess is this is going to be nowhere near as easy as Quseir was for the regime and Hezbullah, although they are much more prepared for it.

Just when I think I couldn't be surprised by videos from Syria anymore...

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just when I think I couldn't be surprised by videos from Syria anymore...

There is a third video of a Konkours strike on the same channel, I'll link it later. They've been hitting them at a rate of one per day now.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Does anyone know what the little ZWIPP noise the Konkurs makes before the gas generator ejects the missile is? I've always wondered.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Muffiner posted:

There is a third video of a Konkours strike on the same channel, I'll link it later. They've been hitting them at a rate of one per day now.

In addition to unverified reports of a few dozen Hezbollah fighters killed and possibly five captured. If that's accurate (who knows), the attrition rate could already higher than Qusayr where Hezbollah lost about 120 fighters in over two weeks of sustained fighting. The regime has its work cut out for it here.

What's the deal with this "ceasefire" outside of Damascus and all the pics of regime media with FSA fighters and NDF side by side?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Does anyone know what the little ZWIPP noise the Konkurs makes before the gas generator ejects the missile is? I've always wondered.

I suspected it has to do with a gyroscope spooling up, googled it and came across this:

quote:

The battery ignites the rocket gyroscopic driven wheel (H1) which burns for maximal 0,3 seconds to bring the wheel to it’s maximim rotation speed. The gyroscopic wheel is placed in a three axis gimbal (H2) that is fixated at the moment the wheel is swung in action –the missile still in the container-. It is important to first start the gyroscope in the gimbal as this sets the zero point against which all course corrections are executed. After the gyroscope wheel (H1) is brought to it full speed, the fixating clamp on the gimbal is retracted and the gimbal is free, with the zero point set.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Gyros spinning up?

EDIT: Beaten.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Not sure if anyone mentioned, but Salim Idris was apparently forced out as head of the FSA because of paralysis within the group over the last few months?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Miruvor posted:

Not sure if anyone mentioned, but Salim Idris was apparently forced out as head of the FSA because of paralysis within the group over the last few months?

That's probably for the best. Idris was an empty suit who was in way over his head.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

New Division posted:

That's probably for the best. Idris was an empty suit who was in way over his head.

Well since his strategy was "count on the US and the international community," it was only a matter of time.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Volkerball posted:

VVV Yeah it might be. Given that it looks like there's explosives buried underneath the road itself, it can't have been that pretty of a job either way.

This is the army that spent millions on "explosives detectors" that didn't actually do anything, I wouldn't expect much more.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This is the army that spent millions on "explosives detectors" that didn't actually do anything, I wouldn't expect much more.

Iraqi infrastructure is such that if you want to go from point A to point B, you often have exactly one choice. IEDs are usually put in the same spot over and over, and convoys would drive over those same spots over and over.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Muffiner posted:

What's the rebel composition in Yabroud? Is it fundamentalists, FSA, or what?

And why are they placing their vehicles in the middle of nowhere? Are they moving and being ambushed but the distances and quality of the camera makes them look like they're stationary?

And how the hell is Assad still finding bombs to put on planes, France ran out of them so fast.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

France ran out of guided bombs, not "throw whatever explosives we can mix together in a can"-bombs.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Mans posted:

What's the rebel composition in Yabroud? Is it fundamentalists, FSA, or what?

And why are they placing their vehicles in the middle of nowhere? Are they moving and being ambushed but the distances and quality of the camera makes them look like they're stationary?

And how the hell is Assad still finding bombs to put on planes, France ran out of them so fast.

They're convoys moving near Jayrud, they seem static because they are moving very slowly at a distance. The third Konkurs video I mentioned has been deleted, along with another video in Sehel of yet another tank strike.

This is an interesting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUxw2VJh3E
Mostly from /R/SyrianCivilWar:

FSA: AbuAbu'a (Bucket head, referring to Hassan Nasrallah), where is he?
FSA: If you're here hiding in ditches and holes where is your AbuAbu'a hidden?
Hezb: "listen you... what's your name"
FSA: "My name is "your dad" you gigolo"
Hezb: "ok, We'll talk afterwards"
FSA: "Bite me (Sh*t it up, literally). What you will do with your hands, do with your feet (this is a really weird local saying)."
Hezb: "When you come our way..."
FSA: "If your a man say what city and district you from"
Hezb: "(cutting off, then clear) Abu Ya'arub"
Hezb 2: " Look listen, before you continue, you have a saying over there, that says you (Yabroudis) mated with (cut off)"
Hezb: "If you'd like to save your head, and not die, surrender yourself"
FSA: "Bugger you. You will surrender, and your neck will be stomped with a boot you gigolo"
FSA: "Allahuakbar. Bring it Abu Abdu give him a Takbir!"
Hezb 3: (low voice on radio) "What is that whats happening?"
At this point someone starts playing Yalla Irhal Ya Bashar, Go Away Bashar, the famous Qashoush song.
Hezb: "Who has a sniper guys?"
FSA: "(smug) Allahuakbar. Allahuakbar."
Tank tolls up.
someone on radio: "chill, guys, chill."
Hezb: "Oh Sheik can you make do without a sniper?"
FSA: "guys listen to this present guys, listen to this present. I want you to say allahu Akbar to shake the earth takbir!"
Tank fires at the Hezb position.
FSA: "Allahuakbar it is not you who shoots but it is Allah. Take this gift and suckle on it you gigolo"
FSA: "did you like the present?!"
Hezb: static

Yabroud is a mix of FSA and IF in almost equal portions, with a bit of JAN forces as well. This is all my guesses built on what I've been told by people there, so it could be wrong. There is a resounding absence of ISIS fighters though, they withdrew from Qalamoon on the first day of the offensive in order to help out in the much more important front against the rebels in Aleppo.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I won't post the images, but it seems the opposition fighters in Yabrod have started collecting the heads of progovernment forces and posting them on social media. It's a pretty grim spectacle, to say the least.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Brown Moses posted:

I won't post the images, but it seems the opposition fighters in Yabrod have started collecting the heads of progovernment forces and posting them on social media. It's a pretty grim spectacle, to say the least.

To think, in times of old you'd have to travel the road or to the city walls where the heads on pikes were set up. Now we can see them from anywhere around the globe instantly. Humanity just keeps on moving forward.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Best Friends posted:

Iraqi infrastructure is such that if you want to go from point A to point B, you often have exactly one choice. IEDs are usually put in the same spot over and over, and convoys would drive over those same spots over and over.

That may be the case, but spending millions on what were dowsing rods is not something that could inspire any sort of confidence in the government. The ADE 651 were frequently used at checkpoints to determine whether vehicles had explosives in them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/world/middleeast/04sensors.html?_r=0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing_rod#Dowsing_rods

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cafel posted:

To think, in times of old you'd have to travel the road or to the city walls where the heads on pikes were set up. Now we can see them from anywhere around the globe instantly. Humanity just keeps on moving forward.

Yeah, it's always about setting fire to things and cutting heads of your enemies. Quite depressing, really. I'm pretty sure our descendants in 3014 will still be the same, just with hypershunt quantum tunneling devices to show the entire universe our atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNFcrVekbYk
This is the fourth Konkours strike the Yabroud LCC has put up. There are a few videos from other areas of Kalamoon as well, notably two from Sihl.

The grotesque display of mutilation is psychologically draining, to say the least.

• Locked thread