Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Elysiume posted:

What's her sixth sense?

Proprioception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing is that they perfectly adapted it in Spider 67
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqNCz2_7jk

'Here, check out this robot.' Robot waddles around the room, starts to freak out. 'Oh uh it's found Spiderman!'

'IT WORKS'

J. Jonah Jameson, the most easily hornswaggled man in New York.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's with Carol's origin there? I've never heard of here being anything but a pilot before getting her powers.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Another fun fact, the episode was written by Warren Ellis, who didn't know Simmons had been cast and would have liked to have knowingly written dialogue for him.

No it wasn't. "Patriot Act" was written by Matt Wayne. Ellis wrote "Heart of Darkness", the episode in which Eiling first appeared and Ray Palmer kicked all of the rear end.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Evil Mastermind posted:

It makes it easier to divvy up the loot.

That's impossible all the money in the bag is in coins.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

John Dyne posted:

'Here, check out this robot.' Robot waddles around the room, starts to freak out. 'Oh uh it's found Spiderman!'

'IT WORKS'

J. Jonah Jameson, the most easily hornswaggled man in New York.

I love how no one can pronounce robot. I also love how much footage is reused.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 17, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's with Carol's origin there? I've never heard of here being anything but a pilot before getting her powers.

The pilot stuff still remains. She was a pilot, got Captain Marvel powers and then later became an editor for a while when they gave her a series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's impossible all the money in the bag is in coins.

It'd be Bitcoins these days. A bag of thumb drives maybe?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 17, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BizarroAzrael posted:

At first the Ms. Marvel persona was a distinct personality, and Carol's repeated blackouts/absences got her turfed from the Air Force. Eventually she settled for an EIC job at JJJ's new women's magazine (on her own terms though, because Carol don't take no poo poo).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chaos Hippy posted:

No it wasn't. "Patriot Act" was written by Matt Wayne. Ellis wrote "Heart of Darkness", the episode in which Eiling first appeared and Ray Palmer kicked all of the rear end.

He also rides into battle in Wonder Woman's cleavage.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DisMafugga posted:

It would appear that Dumb Donald has turned to a life of crime.

He and all the gang

HEY HEY HEY!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

Maybe it is we who cannot pronounce it!

But no, that's how it was pronounced a lot back then. I think Dr Zoidberg uses that pronunciation too.

My favorite part of that episode is the next shot after we first see the robot's face where it looks like Spidey and the robot are twenty feet tall fighting in the street.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The pilot stuff still remains. She was a pilot, got Captain Marvel powers and then later became an editor for a while when they gave her a series.

"WomanChick in the military? How are we supposed to write that? Give her a fashion magazine!"

(Updated to more accurately reflect Marvel editorial in the seventies.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

"WomanChick in the military? How are we supposed to write that? Give her a fashion magazine!"

Still not the most sexist thing they ever did with the character.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Shitshow posted:

Rachel Rising # 4: Noah has just inexplicably murdered his fiance and buried her corpse in the woods, when along comes someone else with a body to dispose of...

Many unspeakable deeds later (Rachel Rising # 23)...

Is that Terry Moore? It looks an awful lot like "Strangers In Paradise".

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

DisMafugga posted:

David Wilkerson's The cross and the switchblade.
Issue #1
Cover Date - January 1, 1972

Huh. I went to see who published this, assuming it was the usual sort of religious pap (and missing the cover blurb, oops), but apparently it's based on a book based on a true story. Which doesn't necessarily make the comic not the usual sort of religious pap (it was published by Spire Christian Comics, after all), but still, there you are.

At any rate, what I wanted to say is that I kind of unironically like this character (at least from the limited sample of the thread.) There's something charmingly goofy about his religious enthusiasm, and I could see him as a bit character in some low-power-level superhero comic. Maybe running a soup kitchen in 'Daredevil' or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

10 Beers posted:

Is that Terry Moore? It looks an awful lot like "Strangers In Paradise".

Yes, that's his current book.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Adventures of Kool-Aid Man (1983 Marvel) #1

Adventures of Kool-Aid Man (1983 Marvel) #2

People like to joke about the Kool-Aid Man's tendency to cause costly structural damage by breaking through walls, but I think him breaching space faring and naval vessels is more amusingly dangerous by implication.

Also, his foes are anthropomorphic manifestations of thirst. I want to see a crossover with Kool-Aid Man and Captain Crunch facing an alliance of Thirsties and Soggies.

It's weird, because of these comics, Kool-Aid Man has a small page on the Marvel wiki that lists his real, secret identity as "Clarence Sykes" without sourcing or explanation.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 18, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Really? Batman's wielding batblades in that episode and he happens to have those in the Planetary crossover when he's fighting Jakita for the first time.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

William Bear posted:

Adventures of Kool-Aid Man (1983 Marvel) #1

People like to joke about the Kool-Aid Man's tendency to cause costly structural damage by breaking through walls, but I think him breaching space faring and naval vessels is more amusingly dangerous by implication.

Also, his foes are anthropomorphic manifestations of thirst. I want to see a crossover with Kool-Aid Man and Captain Crunch facing an alliance of Thirsties and Soggies.

It's weird, because of these comics, Kool-Aid Man has a small page on the Marvel wiki that lists his real, secret identity as "Clarence Sykes" without sourcing or explanation.

Man, now you've got me wanting to dig through my old comics and find my issues of The Adventure of Kool-Aid Man. Those comics are how I found out the curved fin on the bottom of a surfboard is called a skeg.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite issue is the Guyana one. Real killer ending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

That's how (some) people used to pronounce it. I can't find the clip, but I know I've seen video of Isaac Asimov saying it the same way.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know the story behind what happened with Ms. Marvel's character back then, but a female editor of a magazine was pretty revolutionary and probably a reference to Ms. Magazine whose founders included Gloria Steinem. That weird "space rape/pregnancy/marrying your kid who is also the dude who space raped you" is absolutely horrible, but I think the "Editor in Chief of a magazine" was intended to be glamorous and show how awesome she was. Keep in mind, marvel at the time was owned by a magazine conglomerate, so for any writer there, being offered to run a magazine would be a great job.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 18, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LordPants posted:

My favorite issue is the Guyana one. Real killer ending.

You're thinking of Flavor Aid's comic. It kicked off the much derided "drink in the fridge" concept.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

You're thinking of Flavor Aid's comic. It kicked off the much derided "drink in the fridge" concept.

Holy poo poo I never knew. How about that then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh. I went to see who published this, assuming it was the usual sort of religious pap (and missing the cover blurb, oops), but apparently it's based on a book based on a true story. Which doesn't necessarily make the comic not the usual sort of religious pap (it was published by Spire Christian Comics, after all), but still, there you are.

Biographical stories about real people coming to faith tend to be better (if not necessarily good) than Archie characters opining about how much better life was in the 1950s and how all good Christians should vote for the Republican Party because Jesus said so.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

William Bear posted:

I never found it plausible that Clarence Sykes' co-workers wouldn't immediately realise that he's Kool-Aid Man. There's only so much that a hunched posture and big glasses can conceal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Biographical stories about real people coming to faith tend to be better (if not necessarily good) than Archie characters opining about how much better life was in the 1950s and how all good Christians should vote for the Republican Party because Jesus said so.

Somebody had a blog for a while where they reviewed the period where Archie was licensed to Spire, and I just remember staring at the screen incredulously at some of the stuff. Like Jughead being hella devout and taking heat (initially) for it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Somebody had a blog for a while where they reviewed the period where Archie was licensed to Spire, and I just remember staring at the screen incredulously at some of the stuff. Like Jughead being hella devout and taking heat (initially) for it.

But isn't Jughead pretty much the living embodiment of Gluttony?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget sloth.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Random Stranger posted:

"Justice League B-Listers"? Those were the Seven Soldiers of Victory. Respect your golden age super teams!

I don't see no Zatanna. Or Clarion the Witch-Boy. They're not MY Seven Soldiers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vincent posted:

But isn't Jughead pretty much the living embodiment of Gluttony?

Jughead is Gluttony.
Archie is Sloth.
Veronica is Greed.
Betty is Lust.
Reggie is Envy.
Moose is Wrath.
Dilton is Pride.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

William Bear posted:

There was a video game for the Intellivision (and probably others) in which you played kids trying to get all the ingredients to make Kool-Aid while those things chased you. It was creepy as poo poo, because the closer they go to you this Jaws like music would play, and if they touched one of your kids it would scream extremely high pitched and the kid would be frozen.

For a loving Kool-Aid video game is was freaky as poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's been almost 30 years so my memory might be hazy, but I think the Atari game played different. I seem to remember a powerup system, and a limited number of times you could summon Kool-Aid Man to crash through the wall and make the Thirsties have a bad day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Choco1980 posted:

It's been almost 30 years so my memory might be hazy, but I think the Atari game played different. I seem to remember a powerup system, and a limited number of times you could summon Kool-Aid Man to crash through the wall and make the Thirsties have a bad day.

Old school videogames are the best/worst at that. Take the most fun/most iconic thing about a character and make it some kind of special or limited attack.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lobok posted:

Old school videogames are the best/worst at that. Take the most fun/most iconic thing about a character and make it some kind of special or limited attack.

Are you implying that dancing people to death in Moonwalker wasn't the greatest thing?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Are you implying that dancing people to death in Moonwalker wasn't the greatest thing?

That was his special attack? What were Michael Jackson's regular attacks then?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Throwing his hat.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Wine and toys.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lobok posted:

Arcade or console version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Throwing sparkles, dance moves, grabbing his crotch, tossing his hat and turning into a giant robot.

Moonwalker was the best Michael Jackson game you could ask for.

• Locked thread