Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
New wheels for the good old Skyline

Before:

After:

(excuse my phones god awful HDR mode)

Potenza S001s 225/50R18 front, 245/45R18 rear. Not too bad for $500 when you consider how much tyres will set you back here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Did the best exhaust repair job I've ever done, and then when I reinstalled the section that I fixed the flex coupler in the section ahead of it decided to partially disintegrate. Now it's louder than ever. At least this thing is giving me plenty of opportunities to improve my welding skills.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Adjusted the xenon headlights on my e46.

I got it back from the shop after they rebuilt the front end and the lights were angled waaaay to low. Going over 45 on a dark road was sketchy without highbeams.

Its foggy tonight as well so it was perfect weather to test out various angles. Its perfecto now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

I have a disease - my inner ricer will not die (it probably doesn't help that I feed him with F&F marathons and Initial D).

More decals! (Since it's still under warranty.)

A new shift knob - the stock one had an obnoxious chrome trim ring that would reflect sunlight into my eyes all the drat time.

gently caress Jeep for the press fit design of the factory knob. Almost needed a full face helmet for removing it.
Thank you for reminding me I can swap the factory knob for something that can also increase the riciness.

In the meantime I put Opticoat on my wheels, probably poorly (in which case they'll never be white again), but anyway just waiting for that to cure a bit before getting them all mounted.

Popped off mirror caps to repaint them but while playing with spoons as color swatches I can't get the right color/look down. I think I need a white pearl base or a pearl clear I guess, not that I know what the hell I'm doing other than having a few unnecessary cans of paint now :v:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Not in a day, but in the past week or so...

Took this

out of this

and put it back with this (4 link with coilovers)

And mocked up these

in preparation for something like this

Waiting for the new center chunk, and the rear suspension will be basically done. Moving on to the front this week. Fun!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I was productive today.

New door lock actuator.

Transmission mounts.

New dildo shift knob.

In a twist of fate, an e36 door panel came unglued.

Rear subframe out to reinforce swaybar tabs and replace all bushings.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Upgraded to quad 40mm carburettors from my previous dual 34's on the bug today. It sounds absolutely incredible :unsmigghh:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
code:
Expected Delivery Day: Monday, February 10, 2014
Product & Tracking Information
Postal Product:
Package Services
Features:
Signature Confirmation™
DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM
Dispatched to Sort Facility	
CLEARWATER, FL 33755 
February 3, 2014 , 3:20 pm
Acceptance	
CLEARWATER, FL 33755 
USPS states that the package is "probably lost"

This was my 94 trunklid and wing that I've been waiting over a month for now. Super pissed. Hoping that the seller will be willing to send the second lid + wing he has on hand rather than refund my money. (Through a different, less :downs: carrier)

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

The VZ has been chugging and basically, to use the common Commodore owners term, 'driving like a diesel'. Bad plugs or bad coils? Let's find out! It pissed down rain all day today, but the temp was just nice.

Come here you...

Bam! Guess which one is going to be a prick to get out...

Nice and smooth. Considering it's a lightweight metal, the manifolds are loving heavy bastards.

The worst of the leakage. Looks good.

:stare: That doesn't look real good...

Three good to ok, two dirty, and the above one. Yeah, going to order those next week...

Lovely jubblies.

gently caress you Holden. gently caress you for designing bullshit like this. :argh: Thankfully I have long fingers. Ladies... :smug: The easiest way to get these out is to use the super long manifold bolts and gently hook and drag, or basically use them like chopsticks. Works a treat if you don't have a grabber tool.

:stonk: gently caress ME! That would explain the misfiring and chugging. Also middle right was the bastard plug. It would loosen, then tighten. Freaking out about snapping a plug, I gently worked it back and forward for about five minutes, constantly worrying I'd hear that godawful 'clink'. Thankfully it finally came out and the new one worked in fine.

The only thing that piece of poo poo is good for.

So after a clean up, closing up some busted vacuum lines that are splitting, and giving it a tighten up all over, it runs like it used to. Kick over is super quick, throttle is responsive again, no more shuddering on takeoff / hills, and turn off is whisper quiet. It also spins the wheels changing into second in the wet at 80kmh, which is great considering it's an auto. It hasn't done that since I originally got it, so I'm edging closer to fixing the niggly bits that have pissed me off for way too long and I'm actually enjoying driving a car I've despised for the past three months again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
btw, a piece of fuel hose works great to pull plugs out like that.
it'll also double to help thread them into the cylinder head.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PhoenixWing posted:

Upgraded to quad 40mm carburettors from my previous dual 34's on the bug today. It sounds absolutely incredible :unsmigghh:

This looks cool as heck but your video isn't loading :colbert:

Also will the Bug use a 40mm carb on each cylinder? It seems odd to me that you have larger quads than the duals they replaced but I don't know from carburettors.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

btw, a piece of fuel hose works great to pull plugs out like that.
it'll also double to help thread them into the cylinder head.

The last time I did it and didn't have anything else handy, I just pressed the cable back over the plug after loosening it and pulled it out using that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Didn't do much to the actual vehicles but spent most of the day cleaning and tidying the garage round the immobile landrover - Which weirdly feels like progress on the vehicle itself has been made as I can now get right round it and it isn't piled with poo poo all over the inside and outside.

It had dripped so much oil on the floor (It appears to be leaking from both front swivels, the overdrive, the transfer box, the sump gasket and oil pressure switch - so all normal points for a series rover) and dropped so much mud that I had to sweep and then mop to get it clean.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Put my reg sticker on it, put the car seats in the back, dug it out, and then found a half bottle of cetane boost, a half bottle of two stroke oil, a funnel, a quarter, and a Ryobi 18v drill in the seat.

Items listed in descending order of value.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jhcain posted:

in preparation for something like this

Waiting for the new center chunk, and the rear suspension will be basically done. Moving on to the front this week. Fun!

What's happening here?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Larrymer posted:

What's happening here?

Taking run-flats to their extreme.

My guess would be it's to test fit tire sizes without actually having to mount different tires on rims.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Bajaha posted:

My guess would be it's to test fit tire sizes without actually having to mount different tires on rims.

Yup. Doodad that will hold a tire for test fitting. Adjusts for offset, wheel width and diameter. Pretty handy.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

AY YO DATS DAT NEW LEXANI RIMZ

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Peace out interior. Cars have a lot of wiring, most of it useless for a race car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Master cylinder rebuild on the Saturn SL2. Cleaned the throttle body while I was in the neighborhood. I'm questioning the effort I'm expending on this car but it's definitely an inexpensive job, the rebuild kit was $4.

I just hope I didn't screw up the sensors on the throttle body.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I tried to clean my carpet, decided it had to come out to be cleaned properly.

Then I noticed how badly the alarm had been installed.

This is after half an hour of unwrapping wires from various parts of the dashboard, untangling them, and trying to group them.

I got 3 hours in and ran out of light. I found a place to mount the alarm so that it's not hanging by its wires behind the radio. I've grouped and taped most of the cables and ran them in sensible places (i.e. up and behind the gauge cluster instead of hanging down by the pedals, what the gently caress).

I hope the weather stays warm enough for the carpet to dry...

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

This looks cool as heck but your video isn't loading :colbert:

Also will the Bug use a 40mm carb on each cylinder? It seems odd to me that you have larger quads than the duals they replaced but I don't know from carburettors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmRpr4t_LRM - As requested. Had to record it with the windows up otherwise it sounded all distorted. It's certainly much louder than the video seems. Have to skip forward a couple times as I managed to hit every single red light on the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=814Bx8nCNeg - That's it whilst the car is stopped

And, yes, each cylinder has it's own 40mm carb versus the previous 34mm for two cylinders. As far as I know, there isn't a quad setup smaller than 40mm by Weber, so, this seemed a fair sized setup. It's a pretty standard size carb for the 1641-1914cc bracket, and you could probably run 4 42s without much issue as well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's much more...smooth sounding than I would have expected. Then again it's not like the intake side is staggered like the exhaust side is IIRC (aren't most boxers firing two cylinders at a time?) Any way much appreciated :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Panty Saluter posted:

It's much more...smooth sounding than I would have expected. Then again it's not like the intake side is staggered like the exhaust side is IIRC (aren't most boxers firing two cylinders at a time?) Any way much appreciated :)

Each opposed pair hits TDC at the same time, but fire one rotation apart. As long as the other pair(s) are appropriately phased, it's even-firing just like any other engine.

So for a bug, with the cylinders laid out:

You'd have firing order 1-4-3-2, 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation apart, just like a normal 4-banger.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

I *should* have had a matching new 95 trunklid and spoiler to install this weekend but no. The postal service lost it before it even made it out of FLA... poo poo eating inbred fucktards.

Picked this up in Santa Clara for $100.. Guy helped me install it and is disposing of the deplorable CF hood that I had on it before.

Paint is in terrible shape but the whole car will be dipped red when it warms up in CA.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Remember when I swapped to LED lighting for the cluster?

Yeah, me neither. Here's a reminder:

(the needles light up bright red whenever the ignition is on, btw)

I got sick of the mismatched dash lighting, plus tired of not being able to see anything red (warning hatch marks) or yellow. The LED that lit up the left side of the speedometer was also constantly flickering on and off (mostly off).

Back to stock:

Total time to switch back: 10 minutes. One upside to plastic cars, at least..

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Much better.

I did LED bulbs in my cluster, just eye-blinding white, looks stock and they're a billion times more powerful than the factory filament bulbs.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Will get this installed later today provided my muffler shop has the time...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Right now: About halfway through a coolant flush trying to unblock my heatercore.

Why not replace it? Because, according to Haynes anyway, I'd have to also disassemble the AC system as there's coolant lines that run through it or otherwise prevent access to it. Yay, Ford!

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
This past weekend I helped remove the 12a and transmission from my 82 RX-7. I also helped pull a 305 and transmission out of an old Nova. These events are related.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Haha yesss, rotary swap into the Nova. Please don't tell me you're using a 305 for anything but a doorstop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Heard a clunking noise while turning, discovered my inner axle seal is given up on my International. I'm betting the two are related.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006

Raluek posted:

Haha yesss, rotary swap into the Nova. Please don't tell me you're using a 305 for anything but a doorstop.

The price was right :shobon:

Also thats exactly the joke I was hoping someone would make...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

QuarkMartial posted:

Right now: About halfway through a coolant flush trying to unblock my heatercore.

Why not replace it? Because, according to Haynes anyway, I'd have to also disassemble the AC system as there's coolant lines that run through it or otherwise prevent access to it. Yay, Ford!

Seemingly still blocked, at least partially. Hard to tell if there's just some air in the system now or what. Owner's manual says it takes about 4.5gal of coolant, and there's only about 2 gallons in there now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

drukqs posted:

Much better.

I did LED bulbs in my cluster, just eye-blinding white, looks stock and they're a billion times more powerful than the factory filament bulbs.

:ssh: The factory incandescents are brighter than the "high output" LEDs I had in there.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

My mom is a slut posted:

The price was right :shobon:

How much did they pay you to take it away?

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012
fixed a hole in my exhaust.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed an aFe Takeda Momentum intake on the Civic, and forgot to plug the MAF in when I started the car so I am having to reset all the warning lights that came on. Silly me.

Edit: This also came in the same shipment, but I ran out of time to install:

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 18, 2014

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Gave rockauto a good chunk of money to get my truck back into decent order.

Oil cooler lines (I have a small leak)
Line fittings (I am not trusting 21 year old plastic quick connects to not turn to dust when removing the lines.)
Sway bar end links (snapped the driver side crawling over a curb, I think they were mostly rust.)
Front and rear Monroe shocks ( These are mostly rust and all bad, combine with broken front sway bar link potholes become a white knuckle ride)
10 lug nuts and wheel studs (When the shop put new tires on they broke one and cross threaded 6 to where it takes a 6 foot cheater bar to unscrew them all the way off the stud, thanks fuckers)
Starter Solenoid ( totally forgot the starter was wonky due to the 10 year old battery finally giving up the ghost a couple months ago until I found my self laying in slush and salt banging the starter with a tire iron Sunday)
Wix oil filter ( got to change that oil, truck only gets about 1500 miles a year at most so it usually gets changed when I get it inspected every year.)

Going to hold off until spring or summer to fix the fuel tank level sender, I think i'm going to take the bed off for that one and replace the whole unit instead of taking a chance on breaking a strap or stud to drop the tank.

The TBI 350 feels down on power so maybe a 5.3 swap someday if the frame and body last that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

(Probationed on my other account because monitors with greater than 1024x768 resolution are super expensive basically alien technology from the future)

Had a 350z muffler installed on my MR2 this morning before work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBtdm40rDaw

Think it sounds decent enough. Certainly a lot quieter than my single exit fartcan with a silencer crammed into it. I'm the one who was posting in 'terrible car stuff' about the ridiculously oversensitive neighbors.