Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Can we have a Token Masters then so I can get some tokens for weirder poo poo?

Throw in some classics like 0/1 black Serf, 1/1 red Survivor and 3/4 red/green Stangg Twin, and call it a set.

Custom tokens for life.

I just printed off Soulja Boy tokens for use with my Akroan Horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Stinky Pit posted:

I don't know why its so hard to understand that Wizards makes more money selling a new set with some random loving dragon to 8 Million middle schoolers than it will ever make selling desirable reprints to the likes of us.

It's not hard to understand, but I don't believe competitive and casual are mutually exclusive. Onslaught was full of Timmy crap, as well as the fetches.

I don't think anyone should be advocating mass quantaties of any single card. But I do think staples like the fetches should be on a fairly regular reprint schedule. They don't need to be in almost every core set, like Birds of Paradise, but as of this point there's been only two sets, plus some judge promos that have fetches. That's not nearly enough for a cycle of cards that are more present in modern and legacy deck lists than actual basic lands.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Fetches will come, they just aren't in a rush. Wizards does a good job balancing competitive and casual.

This conversation wasn't started by the question "should they reprint Fetchlands?" it was about the question "Why doesn't Wizards sell a big box with all the poo poo I want in it"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

My house is built of Thunder Spirits and held together by a promise from Wotc please don't make me homeless Maro.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Stinky Pit posted:

some new set based on norweigan folk music
Would buy.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
New Battle Pack:

2 boosters for $4.99

Boosters include 1 fetchland, 1 dual land, 1 FoW, 1 Clique, 1 Dark Confidant, 1 Tarmogoyf, and 8 tokens!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mulletstation posted:

New Battle Pack:

2 boosters for $4.99

Boosters include 1 fetchland, 1 dual land, 1 FoW, 1 Clique, 1 Dark Confidant, 1 Tarmogoyf, and 8 tokens!

No Wasteland? Get the hell out.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So where is Brimaz seeing the most use right now anyway? I have two that I plan on running in my big boros deck since it fits the theme of that deck, but are they anywhere else? R/G monsters seems to have taken a huge spike in popularity and thats the only real change I've noticed in standard lately.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So where is Brimaz seeing the most use right now anyway? I have two that I plan on running in my big boros deck since it fits the theme of that deck, but are they anywhere else? R/G monsters seems to have taken a huge spike in popularity and thats the only real change I've noticed in standard lately.

Looks like U/W, as a 2 of in the sideboard. :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Last Friday I played Golgari, which played so horribly I just dismantled the deck - 7 rounds of finding no creatures in a deck that hasn't ever lost a game before Friday. Everyone else played netdecked monsters or netdecked control except for one guy playing some stupid thing with Heliod, Ephara, and apparently no win con besides Brimaz and me having 1 creature for 20 turns. What an exciting tournament that was.

I'm playing legacy this Friday with my terrible Affinity deck that refuses to work more than every 5 hands. Should be fun? Does anyone actually play Affinity in legacy?

My list is here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/601891
I just dropped the 4th Thoughtseize for the 4th Tezz, which was probably a mistake, but Thoughtseize's usefulness is hard to gauge in a hotel bed with nobody to play with.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

suicidesteve posted:

Last Friday I played Golgari, which played so horribly I just dismantled the deck - 7 rounds of finding no creatures in a deck that hasn't ever lost a game before Friday. Everyone else played netdecked monsters or netdecked control except for one guy playing some stupid thing with Heliod, Ephara, and apparently no win con besides Brimaz and me having 1 creature for 20 turns. What an exciting tournament that was.

I'm playing legacy this Friday with my terrible Affinity deck that refuses to work more than every 5 hands. Should be fun? Does anyone actually play Affinity in legacy?

My list is here:
http://deckbox.org/sets/601891
I just dropped the 4th Thoughtseize for the 4th Tezz, which was probably a mistake, but Thoughtseize's usefulness is hard to gauge in a hotel bed with nobody to play with.

People do play Affinity in Legacy, and some lists are really good. I'd say drop all the Thoughtseizes in exchange for Cabal Therapies, but that's because I'm more biased to Therapy and if you know the meta well it's better than Thoughtseize. I'd say that your list looks pretty good, and I think you'll do fine.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

What were you running in your golgari? I've been trying to get a few pieces for it when available for trade and might make a deck later.

I'm wondering if Brimaz's current price was the result of some initial excitement about a good t3 white creature that wasnt just boros reckoner. Maybe he'll take the place of reckoner in decks when he phases out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elblanco posted:

If you guys want to see a truly horrible reprint policy, look at konami and yugioh. Those cards hold almost zero value, they will not only reprint a card the same year it was released, they may reprint it in the same set! One at super ultra mega rare and one at common. Then they'll go and reprint it in a precon. Game shops will have stacks and stacks of staples all over.

The fact that wizards cares about the secondary market at all puts them miles ahead of the competition.

And yet YGO does just fine. It just happens to be popular in Asian markets and Hawaii and I've never heard my LGSs there complain that they should model WOTC's reprint policies.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Boxn posted:

People do play Affinity in Legacy, and some lists are really good. I'd say drop all the Thoughtseizes in exchange for Cabal Therapies, but that's because I'm more biased to Therapy and if you know the meta well it's better than Thoughtseize. I'd say that your list looks pretty good, and I think you'll do fine.

I know people play it in general; I was curious if anyone here played it. Either way, thanks. I might do 2/2. I don't feel like digging 2 more Therapies out of my Cube, plus I have no idea what anyone plays. I've only played legacy there like, 3 times.

What were you running in your golgari? I've been trying to get a few pieces for it when available for trade and might make a deck later.

http://deckbox.org/sets/602477

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

suicidesteve posted:

I know people play it in general; I was curious if anyone here played it. Either way, thanks. I might do 2/2. I don't feel like digging 2 more Therapies out of my Cube, plus I have no idea what anyone plays. I've only played legacy there like, 3 times.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this, some people play Frogmites and Myr Enforcers, mainly because they're decent bodies for free because artifact lands. They are pretty useful for beating down.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Stinky Pit posted:

Last reputable numbers we got to see for participation in any form of organized play, sealed, standard, draft, anything, was right before the New World Order.

According to the Hasbro Investor Update at NYC Toy Fair, 835,000 unique players participated in tournaments in 2013.

I also thought it was interesting that the average player is in their twenties and has been with the game for more than 8 years (maybe he said more than a year). In 2013, there were 570,000 Magic tournaments and over 6800 WPN stores.

You can listen to the webcast and view the presentation here. The Magic stuff starts on slide 72.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 18, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

And Magic just seems to keep on growing.

Worth noting in the end of the presentation that Magic the Gathering is listed as something Hasbro is investing in, in the near future. Dunno if the webcast had more details.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lunsku posted:

And Magic just seems to keep on growing.

Worth noting in the end of the presentation that Magic the Gathering is listed as something Hasbro is investing in, in the near future. Dunno if the webcast had more details.

It would be great if this investment would happen online for once.

MTGO is awful.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

drat I just made a stupid block that cost me the game, and I'm not even sure why I lost...

used an Akroan Conscriptor to steal a guys 8/8 and block is 10/9 trample. But since I wanted to kill the 10/9 trample, I added an additional 2/2 first strike blocker so I could deal the additional damage.

My opponent just assigned all his damage to my 2/2 and none to his 8/8. I was under the impression that you had to assign lethal damage to each creature blocking the blocked creature (or as much as you can in the order chosen to block) before assigning additional damage anywhere else.

Where have I gone wrong? :negative:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

I'm playing 2 in my mainboard U/W control deck, and it seems to be doing pretty good work. Getting it out T3 can be either a really solid defensive measure, or a wincon against a lot of decks.

Currently my deck's wincons are 2 Brimaz, 1 Aetherling, 2 Elspeth, and 3 Mutavaults.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

drat I just made a stupid block that cost me the game, and I'm not even sure why I lost...

used an Akroan Conscriptor to steal a guys 8/8 and block is 10/9 trample. But since I wanted to kill the 10/9 trample, I added an additional 2/2 first strike blocker so I could deal the additional damage.

My opponent just assigned all his damage to my 2/2 and none to his 8/8. I was under the impression that you had to assign lethal damage to each creature blocking the blocked creature (or as much as you can in the order chosen to block) before assigning additional damage anywhere else.

Nowhere. You're correct and I'm not sure why you lost.

Edit: You should probably mention the exact creatures that were involved, which might provide an answer. Otherwise, if this was MTGO it sounds like a glitch. If this was paper magic, someone messed up in the rules.

qbert fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 18, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
They can assign more than lethal damage if they want. They just cannot move on to the next creature until the first has lethal, and they cannot assign any damage to you, because the 8/8 didn't have lethal.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

You know what's great? Having your stock devalued like a motherfucker because that 150 dollar card is now a twenty dollar card. It's literally nothing to do with being smart or not, having expensive things suddenly be worth less than you paid for them is bad.

I think this would be great and would love both the lower prices and the nerd tears.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

qbert posted:

Edit: You should probably mention the exact creatures that were involved, which might provide an answer. Otherwise, if this was MTGO it sounds like a glitch. If this was paper magic, someone messed up in the rules.

Limited draft. Opponent casts Mischief and Mayhem on his Staunch-hearted Warrior and his Vulpine Goliath and swings with both. I have an Akroan Conscriptor, a Spearpoint Oread and a few others that aren't affecting the board. He swings with both his creatures. I cast Necrobite on my Conscriptor, targeting his Staunch-hearted Warrior for the steal. He responds by burning my Conscriptor with Magma Jet, taking it off the table. I still steal the Warrior.
At that point, I make the block with the Warrior and the Oread.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dungeon Ecology posted:

This is all legal if they put the 2/2 first in the block order. You're allowed to overassign past lethal damage, you just can't underassign.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

This is all legal if they put the 2/2 first in the block order. You're allowed to overassign past lethal damage, you just can't underassign.

Well that's a mistake I learned the hard way :(

Tonight is just not my night for Magic. I lost that round handily, but went 2-0 in the second round. Halfway through the third game the client completely freezes up. Internet and other processes were working fine. So I just killed the client and rebooted my computer.

Unfortunately, now, while trying to log in, I get a 'MainNavigation has stopped working' error. I've never received this error before, and my computer settings have not changed. The only thing I can imagine being the issue is the Born of the Gods update -- but then it would stand to reason that I wouldn't be able to get into a draft in the first place, no?

I'm pretty certain my game has gone to time at this point, which is really frustrating. Is this grounds for a reimbursement request, or is Wizards going to blame this on my hardware? (Which is absolutely not at fault here).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Wait, what are you saying? The attacker has to try and assign at least lethal damage for every blocking creature before being able to assign damage to the defending player. They are not allowed to assign all the damage to the 2/2 while ignoring the 8/8. MTGO hosed up.

quote:

702.19b The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any remaining damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It would have been totally fine under the old combat rules. It's easy to see how that part of the combat damage change got missed considering all the focus was on the more obvious change of "put the blockers in order, must assign lethal to the first one before moving on to the next". See below.

I'd definitely file a reimbursement request, and a bug report.

e: Wait, I think you're reading the wrong rules. 510.1d explicitly states "An amount of damage that's greater than a creature's lethal damage may be assigned to it", with no mention of requiring lethal damage be assigned to creatures after it in the blocking order.

e2: Actually, a strict reading of the Trample rules might suggest that a creature with Trample is not allowed to assign greater-than-lethal combat damage to creatures before assigning lethal damage to every other creature blocking it, while a creature without Trample would be allowed to. That's the sort of rules question you'd want to send in to Wizards to get an official response.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 18, 2014

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Limited draft. Opponent casts Mischief and Mayhem on his Staunch-hearted Warrior and his Vulpine Goliath and swings with both. I have an Akroan Conscriptor, a Spearpoint Oread and a few others that aren't affecting the board. He swings with both his creatures. I cast Necrobite on my Conscriptor, targeting his Staunch-hearted Warrior for the steal. He responds by burning my Conscriptor with Magma Jet, taking it off the table. I still steal the Warrior.
At that point, I make the block with the Warrior and the Oread.

The only way this makes any semblance of sense is if your opponent had a Bow of Nylea out, granting all of his attacking creatures deathtouch. If he didn't, it was a bug and you should file for reimbursement.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The dude was perfectly reasonable. He can assign as much damage as he wants to the first blocker. The only thing the rules say is that to assign damage to each blocker down the line, he needs to assign lethal to all the ones before it. So you can just as well assign 10 damage to the 2/2.
Unless he dealt the remaining 8 to you, I don't see the issue.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Quoting for clarity.
Also, you did destroy the 10/9 trample, but you just don't get to destroy the 8/8 as well.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Serperoth posted:

The dude was perfectly reasonable. He can assign as much damage as he wants to the first blocker. The only thing the rules say is that to assign damage to each blocker down the line, he needs to assign lethal to all the ones before it. So you can just as well assign 10 damage to the 2/2.
Unless he dealt the remaining 8 to you, I don't see the issue.

Quoting for clarity.
Also, you did destroy the 10/9 trample, but you just don't get to destroy the 8/8 as well.

Yes, this is correct, but I interpreted his post as saying he got hit for 8 trample damage and died. If what happened was that the 10/9 and the 2/2 died, then his opponent got the 8/8 back (now a 4/4) and won with that, then everything worked correctly.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The 2/2 took all the damage, I received no damage. I meant that it was a fatal error that cost me the game because he had a pretty huge team at that point.

e: filed for reimbursement for the client issues. Let's hope the Magic Online reimbursement staff are feeling reasonable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

And yet YGO does just fine. It just happens to be popular in Asian markets and Hawaii and I've never heard my LGSs there complain that they should model WOTC's reprint policies.

How many of those stores have made selling YGO singles a significant part of their business though?

YGOs reprint policy is nuts, too. Best way I've heard it described is "Imagine if there was only one format, and in the next set they reprinted Dick Jace at common, and put out a starter deck with a playset. Then in the next set they ban Jace and reprint Lotus, at uncommon. "

YGO is going strong because it's got an anime that serves as a commercial and a much different target audience than Magic. That doesn't mean WotC should emulate them, ever.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The print size was literally the only problem with MMA

Hahaha yup, that was THE problem with it, and basically the worst one. The injection of cards had about zero effect on prices of the big staples, and in fact, the price of Bob and Goyf has gone up since, significantly. So, yay for making a great limited format that hardly anyone got to play and doing nothing but stoking the fires of Modern demand to the point of pricing people even farther out of the format? I'm not loving joking when I say Misty Rainforest and Scalding Tarn are going to hit $100 by the end of the year with no reprints. Goyf could hit $200+. I would say so far Modern Masters has been a net negative.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

How many of those stores have made selling YGO singles a significant part of their business though?

YGOs reprint policy is nuts, too. Best way I've heard it described is "Imagine if there was only one format, and in the next set they reprinted Dick Jace at common, and put out a starter deck with a playset. Then in the next set they ban Jace and reprint Lotus, at uncommon. "

Sounds great lets do it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pointsofdata posted:

Sounds great lets do it.

Sure I can't imagine how flooding the market with reprints could possibly end badly for WotC or retailers.

Also fwis literally every YGO player I know who also plays Magic constantly calls Konami's policies bullshit and WotC's superior!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sure I can't imagine how flooding the market with reprints could possibly end badly for WotC or retailers.

On the other hand, if the movie works out, we can get our own Magic series. After that, Wizards will surely follow the Yugioh model since it's been shown to work in such a scenario. :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ramos posted:

On the other hand, if the movie works out, we can get our own Magic series. After that, Wizards will surely follow the Yugioh model since it's been shown to work in such a scenario. :v:

The YGO model is so bad. Instead of balancing the game, they just have a gigantic banlist that changes with every set depending on what new deliberately broken thing they printed in that set. Then they reprint the unbanned card at common.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Ok so my brother and I have a full set of unlimited duals, about 20 fetches, 6 FOW, 6 Rishadan Ports, 6 Wasteland, 2 Gaea's Cradles, and a large number of Modern staples, mostly bought when they were at their cheapest (duals were mostly between $15-20 about 10 years ago). I keep telling him we should sell the money cards while the market is this high and keep the rest for casual play. Confession: I am also at the point where I am starting to think more about my 401k than wizard poker but anticipate I will still enjoy playing in another 20 years. Advice?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The 2/2 took all the damage, I received no damage. I meant that it was a fatal error that cost me the game because he had a pretty huge team at that point.

e: filed for reimbursement for the client issues. Let's hope the Magic Online reimbursement staff are feeling reasonable.

In this case, your opponent just made a good play. He has to order blockers, but then once he does, he can assign as much damage as he wants to your first blocker before doing any to the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Also fwis literally every YGO player I know who also plays Magic constantly calls Konami's policies bullshit and WotC's superior!

Weirdly players interests and those of retailers do not exactly align!

• Locked thread