Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I think they evolved more space in front of the mouth so you can breathe easier when huffing and puffing offroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh yeah, that too. You can work up quite a sweat getting a heavy bike un-stuck from mud.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife let her Shorai LFX sit in the bike for 3 months and now it won't start. Completely flat, acts like the key is off. Can it be saved?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Don't Li-ion batteries have circuitry to stop them from actively being discharged completely? I'd throw it back on the charger and see if it can be revived.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can try charging it back up, but in my experience, once those batteries go flat, they're pretty much hosed.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
If it's of even half decent quality it will have a protection circuit which cuts the cells off totally when the battery drains to a certain level. It's probably not flat, just below the cut off. Give it a charge and you should be ok.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My friend shills shorais, he says you should be able to recover it if you have the right sort of charger.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like I am going to check out the Street Vibrations event in/around Reno this September. Tenatively, we're looking at doing Bend, OR a day out of home, then Reno for a couple of days. On the way home we're going to Chico CA, then Eugene OR, and then probably schlep the interstate home or cross Mackenzie Pass and stay in Hood River for a night and then try NF-25 around Mount St. Helens again.

Wish: I'd like to find myself in Lassen NP at some point. Is it cool or is it whack? This also look pretty entertaining, yes? http://goo.gl/maps/fg7zt

Can anybody recommend good roads or sightseeing around Reno, or between Chico and Eugene?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend a good motorcycle GPS? Something that's a good intersection of price/features?

I'm not sure which features I should be looking for, versus a car GPS. I don't want to have to rely on my phone since cell coverage is usually spotty when you need directions the most.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend a good motorcycle GPS? Something that's a good intersection of price/features?

I'm not sure which features I should be looking for, versus a car GPS. I don't want to have to rely on my phone since cell coverage is usually spotty when you need directions the most.

My favorite bet is an installed GPS app for the phone, like GPS CoPilot. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer&hl=en

$Free gets you maps for the whole North America (which is a gigabyte or so), $10 gets you voice nav. I have that play through my Bluetooth headset, and I'm good to go. If my phone dies, I can always ask directions (or, if I'm serious, rely on paper maps).

The motorcycle specific GPSes from big name manufacturers are all balls expensive. A reasonable solution could be a car GPS in a waterproof tank bag with a clear window.

For a moto GPS, the biggest thing I can imagine wanting is a works-in-sunlight screen and good spoken directions through Bluetooth.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get any motorcycle GPS that uses the software you like, but more importantly get a GPS designed to be used on a motorcycle.

Getting a motorcycle-specific GPS has a few advantages:

-They are waterproof (important) and often vibration-proof (huge)
-They will have the oldschool non-capacitive touchscreen so you can use gloved hands
-Their touch controls will be designed with imprecise glove pokes in mind (large buttons, only a couple buttons on screen at a time)
-Their screens are designed to be brighter and viewed in direct sunlight

These are the big selling points over car gps or your phone that I remember from helping my dad choose a motorcycle GPS.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A car GPS is so much cheaper that you could carry a spare and still be out way less money than getting a 'motorcycle' GPS. If you can tuck it under/behind your windscreen (or you check the weather forecast beforehand) you may not need a waterproof bag.

I'm not a fan of using your phone for GPS, because if it breaks or the battery dies, you don't have your phone as backup / help line. Others disagree. Standalone GPS -generally- have better screens for strong sunlight conditions and work better with gloves. Some standalone GPS have bluetooth / MP3 playback, obviously any modern phone will.

If you must have a super-fancy moto GPS, people seem to like using the Garmin Montana (maybe the Oregon, I'm not familiar) as it's ruggedized, waterproof and overall more updated and versatile than the Zumo / Rider for about the same money.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Can anybody recommend good roads or sightseeing around Reno, or between Chico and Eugene?

I would suggest branching off onto 97 around Weed and going up through Klamath Falls, then head north, take 62 and go by Crater Lake. From there you can loop around the north end of Crater Lake, get back onto 97 north, and then branch off onto 58 west and go past Odell Lake and Diamond Peak, and come into Eugene from the east via Oakridge. Lots of scenic country roads that way. If you come up through Portland, hit me up and we can do lunch.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Advrider has a huge subforum dedicated to this stuff: http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37.

I'm probably gonna end up buying a dedicated GPS because of advanced routing and tracking features that really aren't quite as polished on my phone. I've tried to take some folks on a ride before and doing waypoint-based routing is basically impossible with gmaps. I had to resort to my own rally-style directions taped to the tank and that didn't work out so great.

None of the alternative mapping software packages I've tried seem support both loading external tracks (recorded route sessions) and voice guidance for those tracks. Now, I understand why this kind of thing is difficult as tracks are just point-in-time recordings of GPS coordinates and aren't just a list of turn points at intersections. But that use case appears to be supported somewhat on the big dedicated Garmin devices. And I hear using Basecamp to plan your routes on a desktop can be really nice vs using your phone to search for a bunch of POIs the night before.

I too used to think that the dedicated devices were a waste of money and that my phone could get me anywhere. But now that I'm trying to plan trips, try other people's routes, get gas while staying along my route, or just trying to get an eye for what's coming ahead, I understand why people buy these things. And saying "oh but my phone is 1/4th the price of some of these offerings" is naive as you're typically referring to the subsidized price.

For day-to-day stuff, my phone + google maps + Sena headset are more than enough, though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I have a Garmin Zumo 330, basically their simplest/cheapest dedicated motorcycle GPS and it's a piece of poo poo. The software is pretty nice (not as nice as Google Earth, but it works fine), though you have to be very careful to double-check placed waypoints at the highest zoom level, if you place a checkpoint on an interstate while zoomed out it might just end up being in someone's back yard.

Now the device itself is just horrible, I already RMA'd it once but the other one I got has the same hangs when doing stuff, stuff such as sending you off the highway and on again immediately, having you follow a maintenance road instead of the parallel interstate, out of nowhere deciding to send you down a dirt road, when you turn it off and on again it'll replace the routing between waypoints with straight lines, etc.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

My wife let her Shorai LFX sit in the bike for 3 months and now it won't start. Completely flat, acts like the key is off. Can it be saved?

How has that battery been, other than this. I just replaced my battery with an old school gel one, I researched li-ion ones and from what I found they need a special charger, which your bike's charging system doesn't count as, i.e. the bike's charging system will slowly ruin them?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's the over/under on being able to use a FastPass style RF toll booth thingy from behind an ABS plastic fairing? Are they reasonably rainproof?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

How has that battery been, other than this. I just replaced my battery with an old school gel one, I researched li-ion ones and from what I found they need a special charger, which your bike's charging system doesn't count as, i.e. the bike's charging system will slowly ruin them?

She's already said emphatically that if she killed it and can't get it going again, she's getting another one like it. Before she put the bike into storage with no prep :ughh: it was good. Apparently there's a very noticeable weight loss and nimbleness improvement, taking 10 lbs or so off the top of the bike. I have no idea if the bike's charging system will eventually kill one, but that would seem really silly were it the case. She's my guinea pig on this one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
LiFePO3 batteries are specifically supposed to run off your bike (car, whatever)'s existing charging system. They may need special trickle charges because their indicating voltages are different from PbO2 chemistry batteries.

They're also supposed to hold up better than PbO2 if you let them sit for long periods of time, but excessive cold will kill them dead.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skip the LiPO batteries if you can and go for LiFePO batteries.

A Lipo fire in your bike would be terrible. I know they have charge circuitry and all, but its :china: and Lipo fires are nothing to gently caress with.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

What's the over/under on being able to use a FastPass style RF toll booth thingy from behind an ABS plastic fairing? Are they reasonably rainproof?

For a true sportsbetting Over/Under answer, assuming a binary of 0=Thingy Doesn't Work, 1=Thingy Works, your answer is:

Will I be able to use my FastPass RF Toll Thingy behind a Fairing? (Must ride through tollbooth for wager to have action)
Over / Under ½
○ Over ½ (-110)
○ Under ½ (-110)

What I'm trying to say is that I have no idea if it will work, and I don't think you get over/unders :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I don't think you get over/unders :v:

Yeah, I really don't.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you had one on a car, where would it go? If the answer is 'inside the car' you will have no issue putting it anywhere on your bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If you had one on a car, where would it go? If the answer is 'inside the car' you will have no issue putting it anywhere on your bike.

They're very specific about mounting it to the windshield glass opposite the rear view mirror, unless you have one of an exhaustive list of cars that have some metal there, in which case you put it closer to the dash.

When it gets warm reasonable outside I'll try it out. Worst that will happen is that the tollway authority will read my plate and deduct from my account.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, I really don't.

They are normally used for betting on the total score in a game, at the line/number a bookie sets such as "UCLA vs. USC - Over/Under 47". You would pick whether it would be Over or Under 47 points. An appropriate CA O/U bet would be:

How many days will Z3n keep the last bike he bought before listing it for sale? (Must keep bike for 24 hours for wager to have action)
Over / Under 7 Days
○ Over 7 (-110)
○ Under 7 (-110)

The -110 numbers are typical Vegas American odds :science: Yes I am a degenerate.

Honestly, I doubt a plastic fairing would interfere with RF more than your average car windshield, as the transmitter is housed in a plastic case anyway right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have no idea if those odds are realistic but im flattered to be schizophrenic enough to be a good example for betting on.

Also I had the quickest turnaround on a sold bike to a new bike ever today - under 3 hours from signed title to signed title. Same stack of hundreds, even. 73 CB500 to 03 CRF450F.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

They're very specific about mounting it to the windshield glass opposite the rear view mirror, unless you have one of an exhaustive list of cars that have some metal there, in which case you put it closer to the dash.

When it gets warm reasonable outside I'll try it out. Worst that will happen is that the tollway authority will read my plate and deduct from my account.

I think the specific mounting is as much about the camera that takes your picture when your payment doesn't register being able to see it or not, so your "but I had the Pass!" excuse flies or doesn't when the ticket comes, as it is about the pass actually being able to be read.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

In CA, if you have the tag, they just let you head through. The plate pickup is hit or miss so free tolls.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is one toll road in the greater Auckland region (can't speak for other areas of NZ) which relies on a camera reading your numberplate, and you then going online to pay the toll. If you don't pay the toll, you get a reminder letter with a fee tacked on. Motorbikes have to pay more than cars to use the toll (don't ask me how the gently caress that makes sense), however the camera is incapable of picking up a bike number plate. I have tested this repeatedly, both day and night. Free tolls.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kuffs posted:

Advrider has a huge subforum dedicated to this stuff: http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37.

I'm probably gonna end up buying a dedicated GPS because of advanced routing and tracking features that really aren't quite as polished on my phone. I've tried to take some folks on a ride before and doing waypoint-based routing is basically impossible with gmaps. I had to resort to my own rally-style directions taped to the tank and that didn't work out so great.

None of the alternative mapping software packages I've tried seem support both loading external tracks (recorded route sessions) and voice guidance for those tracks. Now, I understand why this kind of thing is difficult as tracks are just point-in-time recordings of GPS coordinates and aren't just a list of turn points at intersections. But that use case appears to be supported somewhat on the big dedicated Garmin devices. And I hear using Basecamp to plan your routes on a desktop can be really nice vs using your phone to search for a bunch of POIs the night before.

I too used to think that the dedicated devices were a waste of money and that my phone could get me anywhere. But now that I'm trying to plan trips, try other people's routes, get gas while staying along my route, or just trying to get an eye for what's coming ahead, I understand why people buy these things. And saying "oh but my phone is 1/4th the price of some of these offerings" is naive as you're typically referring to the subsidized price.

For day-to-day stuff, my phone + google maps + Sena headset are more than enough, though.

It used to be that Google maps was pretty good for way point routes, even on a phone. Just drop pins and navigate to them. Now all Google maps is good for is finding you a business with a name vaguely similar to "petrol station" three counties away. As for navigating between one point (of interest or not) and another, if one of those points isn't your current location or some sort of business, forget it.
Google maps has gone to poo poo.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I managed to use Google Maps for like a month before they rolled out that update that broke all the good routing functionality in the mobile apps.

I then got me a TomTom Rider(v5 /2013 edition) and it's been good. That "Winding Roads" auto routing gimmick is actually kinda okay. With using Tyre free to plot routes you can easily make good routes that mostly will route the same way on the tomtom gps as in tyre.

Though I use it only for road based travel, not sure how that gps handles unmapped trail routes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Once again I'll just pimp up Nokia Drive as being worth basically the cost of a cheap Nokia Winphone all on its own. Way better routing than Google Maps, ridiculously cheaper (and often with more extensive maps coverage than) dedicated GPS units, also includes automatic rerouting around traffic and warning of speed cameras which are either absent or very expensive upgrades on the others. The screen even works with summer gloves through some voodoo magic, although normally you'd want to put it in a dedicated holder which should have a smart cover for the screen which makes it work with gloves anyway.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
If I wanted those features I think I'd just remember to use Waze more often.

Supradog posted:

I managed to use Google Maps for like a month before they rolled out that update that broke all the good routing functionality in the mobile apps.

I then got me a TomTom Rider(v5 /2013 edition) and it's been good. That "Winding Roads" auto routing gimmick is actually kinda okay. With using Tyre free to plot routes you can easily make good routes that mostly will route the same way on the tomtom gps as in tyre.

Though I use it only for road based travel, not sure how that gps handles unmapped trail routes.

This Tyre thing looks neat, but I thought I heard that Garmin Basecamp has different export formats and there are a few conversion tools if that doesn't work out (maybe this is one of them?).

While we're on the topic of routes, I frequently use http://motorcycleroads.com/ to find interesting stuff to ride around. So far, it seems to be the most widely-used sites for tracking this kind of information. I've got the Eat Sleep Ride app on my phone, but it seems to be *really* unpopular. There are only 5 people in all of Dallas that appear to use it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Once again I'll just pimp up Nokia Drive as being worth basically the cost of a cheap Nokia Winphone all on its own. Way better routing than Google Maps, ridiculously cheaper (and often with more extensive maps coverage than) dedicated GPS units, also includes automatic rerouting around traffic and warning of speed cameras which are either absent or very expensive upgrades on the others. The screen even works with summer gloves through some voodoo magic, although normally you'd want to put it in a dedicated holder which should have a smart cover for the screen which makes it work with gloves anyway.

Does the Nokia Drive app require a data connection to function? Or does it work off the GPS network without a carrier plan? That would definitely be ideal to pick up a cheap windows phone from work, to use solely as a GPS unit. However, I've had trouble installing apps on the phone I picked up for my mom, as microsoft won't let you sign in and download stuff without a data connection.

I just have difficulty reconciling why such a simple, single purpose device costs substantially more than an unsubsidized smartphone.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kuffs posted:

This Tyre thing looks neat, but I thought I heard that Garmin Basecamp has different export formats and there are a few conversion tools if that doesn't work out (maybe this is one of them?).

I tried to use basecamp last night, and I think I'd rather just smash my hand with a hammer, the interface is so bad. Are there any open source routable maps out there? I couldn't find a tool chain for making OpenStreetMaps work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Google Maps does indeed suck now.

I use Sygic for Android. You can't get the whole world for something like 100 USD, your local continent for 20-30. Good voice guidance, nice 3D interface, lifetime updates, somewhat customizable. Oh and they have a free trial period. My Sony is waterproof but I'm not sure I'd take the chance in the rainwater. Bluetooth, getting used to the voice guidance and preparing for your route means it's probably fine to just put it in your pocket and rely on voice guidance in the rain. Based on OpenStreetMaps, which I have found to be ok for accuracy but not perfect.

A complete open source, free one is OsmAnd. Its clunkiness caused me to cough up for Sygic, but go ahead and try it.

Both of them, of course, support preloading maps on WiFi and there is full GPS functionality without any mobile data use.

I'm not buying a dedicated GPS device again for road use.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Google Maps does indeed suck now.

I use Sygic for Android. You can't get the whole world for something like 100 USD, your local continent for 20-30. Good voice guidance, nice 3D interface, lifetime updates, somewhat customizable. Oh and they have a free trial period. My Sony is waterproof but I'm not sure I'd take the chance in the rainwater. Bluetooth, getting used to the voice guidance and preparing for your route means it's probably fine to just put it in your pocket and rely on voice guidance in the rain. Based on OpenStreetMaps, which I have found to be ok for accuracy but not perfect.

A complete open source, free one is OsmAnd. Its clunkiness caused me to cough up for Sygic, but go ahead and try it.

Both of them, of course, support preloading maps on WiFi and there is full GPS functionality without any mobile data use.

I'm not buying a dedicated GPS device again for road use.

Cool! I think that's what I'm going to do... buy a Galaxy S4 Active, slap it in a case/mount and use it for GPS, video filming, and bluetooth music streaming. I can just pop my SIM card in too and leave my regular phone in my luggage, that way I don't have to worry about destroying something with my personal data and settings.

Edit: I feel like this is a great analogy for the KLR... Rather than shelling out $$$ for a bunch of stuff that excels at one thing, for 150$ I can have an all-in-one that does everything, though a bit mediocre.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

kuffs posted:

If I wanted those features I think I'd just remember to use Waze more often.

While we're on the topic of routes, I frequently use http://motorcycleroads.com/ to find interesting stuff to ride around. So far, it seems to be the most widely-used sites for tracking this kind of information. I've got the Eat Sleep Ride app on my phone, but it seems to be *really* unpopular. There are only 5 people in all of Dallas that appear to use it.

I found http://twistyroadfinder.com/Home/Transport recently and that seems to have an interesting way of grading roads. It doesn't seem to have a lot of users if any, but it looks as if it does some calculations on road angles and stuff to find things.

EDIT: Looks like something odd is going on with that site, seems to be refresh looping in Chrome.

Mister Duck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 18, 2014

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Safety Dance posted:

I tried to use basecamp last night, and I think I'd rather just smash my hand with a hammer, the interface is so bad. Are there any open source routable maps out there? I couldn't find a tool chain for making OpenStreetMaps work.

I *have* heard that the interface for Basecamp is pretty bad. If Tyre wasn't Windows-only I'd be much more open to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Does the Nokia Drive app require a data connection to function? Or does it work off the GPS network without a carrier plan? That would definitely be ideal to pick up a cheap windows phone from work, to use solely as a GPS unit. However, I've had trouble installing apps on the phone I picked up for my mom, as microsoft won't let you sign in and download stuff without a data connection.

I just have difficulty reconciling why such a simple, single purpose device costs substantially more than an unsubsidized smartphone.

It requires a data connection for initial setup and downloading maps but that can be done via wifi at home; however I *think* it relies on Phone ID for registration which requires an IMSI and hence a SIM in the phone. Obviously you need a data connection on the go for traffic services. Also a (good) data carrier will let you use AGPS which speeds up initial sync a shitload, and the Lumias let you use GLONASS too just in case the poo poo hits the fan and GPS gets turned off.

Can you not get cheap PAYG SIMs with some data where you are? I can pick up a TPO SIM for free that'll give me a MB of data for 6p, so it'd definitely be a cheap way of doing things.

(However as a Nokia fanboy I just have a Lumia 1020 as my main phone)

As to cost - the simple answer is capitalism. GPS radios are so cheap when integrated into SoCs that most mobile phones have them simply because it's cheaper than running a different line for non-GPS units. However people are willing to pay 5 times more for a dedicated GPS unit than for a cheap smartphone, so there you go. Some GPS units have considerably better radios and dedicated hardware, admittedly, but for on-road navigation in most applications it just doesn't matter.