Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stallion Cabana posted:

to clarify it goes off max cities you've ever had.

It's probably suppoued to make it so you take, burn and heal, then take, burn and heal over and over.

That's a fair philosophy, but there are so many factors that work against it - it's far more happiness-efficient to have X population in four cities and not expand, you've got the science penalty, you've got the way you have to get certain buildings in every city, you've got AI hating you for expansion, you've got inflated culture costs, and you've got the way the best social policy tree (Tradition) stops giving all its bonuses after the fourth city.

I think it's probably just a bug that the science-per-city penalty doesn't decrease when your number of cities decreases, but it sure helps to pigeonhole the game into "Build four cities, go for peaceful science" every time at higher difficulties.

I've actually gone back to Civ 4 for a bit since there seem to be more ways to play that game that are of comparable strength. Well, that and the AI knows how to actually wage a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you go wide in the early game but cap the population in all the cities you don't want to grow (normally I cap them at 5 because I usually wind up with a religion that grants 5 happiness from temples to mitigate the happiness issue) when you hit ideologies all of a sudden you're swimming in happiness (particularly if you took order) and you can uncap all your cities and your late game science/gold/production really goes nuts. Prior to ideologies, assuming I got the religious beliefs I want, I don't grow anything that's not my capital or science capital and more than I need to for the happines bonus(es) from religion, and I drop cities pretty aggressively every 4-6 tiles to fill out the map and lock down luxuries. In the endgame I usually cap most of them again at ~10, build universities everywhere, etc. You can spread out in the early game without shooting yourself in the foot as long as you check the box to stop cities from overgrowing your available happiness until later in the game when you have more tools to manage it.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 18, 2014

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Regarding goon MP sessions does anyone upload gameplay to YT or Twitch?

Or should I just watch the YOGScast guys instead?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Khagan posted:

I'm currently trying to set up recording software to do just that, but I'll be honest - the turns take so god drat long - in the game I'm in, at least - that it'll never make a good YouTube video without hundreds of jarring cuts. Last session was 50 turns in 3 hours. If you're not one of the guys warring, that's a lot of waiting. Still, I made a lot of progress with my book :nerd:

A better idea would be a document with screenshots and text (which is what I'm doing for my GMR games, in stream-of-consciousness style).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Maybe the turn timer is needed?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Gort posted:

and you've got the way the best social policy tree (Tradition) stops giving all its bonuses after the fourth city.

The best part of tradition (the 15% growth) works for every city unless it's been changed recently.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Khagan posted:

Or should I just watch the YOGScast guys instead?

I've streamed to twitch but there are obvious implications with respect to snipes. I don't expect anyone will try to, but I'd rather not ever be in the situation of wondering if maybe? I would like to record some sessions with FRAPS (or is there something better these days?) and maybe edit it down. A lot of work though.

At a minimum, I'm gonna post a screenshot of my Venice location because it's pretty much an open secret in the game at this point and also FREAKING AMAZING.

What if Venice threw a sea-route party and nobody came?

Strategic view for those who find it more readable

Putin It In Mah ASS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 18, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bashez posted:

The best part of tradition (the 15% growth) works for every city unless it's been changed recently.

I'd argue that point - I'd say that half unhappiness in your capital is the best part of Tradition. It's pretty easy to get a size 30 capital, and 15 happiness is nothing to sneeze at.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Gort posted:

I'd argue that point - I'd say that half unhappiness in your capital is the best part of Tradition. It's pretty easy to get a size 30 capital, and 15 happiness is nothing to sneeze at.

By the time you have a size 30 capital, it kind of is, unless you're losing the culture wars. Don't get me wrong, it's still really good. The thing is Liberty will get you almost as much happiness*. There is no other way to replace the thousands of food tradition will get you over the course of a game.

*Actually this is wrong unless you're super ICS.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 18, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bashez posted:

By the time you have a size 30 capital, it kind of is, unless you're losing the culture wars. Don't get me wrong, it's still really good. The thing is Liberty will get you almost as much happiness*. There is no other way to replace the thousands of food tradition will get you over the course of a game.

*Actually this is wrong unless you're super ICS.

Happiness from Tradition is half your capital plus 10% of your entire empire's population. Liberty's never matching that.

I guess my problem with labelling the 15% growth "the best thing about Tradition" is that I spend a fair amount of time each game happiness-capped, and during that time the growth bonuses do nothing for me.

Of course, I probably wouldn't be happiness-capped except for the growth bonuses, so... I guess everything is good in Tradition?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

At a minimum, I'm gonna post a screenshot of my Venice location because it's pretty much an open secret in the game at this point and also FREAKING AMAZING.

That is sad.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Gort posted:

Of course, I probably wouldn't be happiness-capped except for the growth bonuses, so... I guess everything is good in Tradition?

Yeah, both are good bonuses and they work even better together.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
There are a number of peninsulars like that, at both the south and north of the map. It's like the world generator decided "a contiguous ocean? not on my watch :colbert:"

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

KKKlean Energy posted:

There are a number of peninsulars like that, at both the south and north of the map. It's like the world generator decided "a contiguous ocean? not on my watch :colbert:"

Remind me to show you all the peninsula of useless Tundra northeast of Austria. It's amazing.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

KKKlean Energy posted:

Yeahhh, I don't think we'll be doing Pangaea + low sea levels again.

BTW do all custom map types need to be mods? Or is Communitas just packaged that way because the standard map tools don't let them do what they want?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Yeahhh, I don't think we'll be doing Pangaea + low sea levels again.

I've used that combination a number of times and not had a problem like this with it. I've never seen something so odd. I'd assume it's just a one-off.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The only issue I have with the map is that I'm so far away from Bremen and JayMax that there's no real meaningful interaction with them. Part of that is just because I'm on one end and tucked away in hermit land, though.

The only thing that might change that is if the sea on my east goes all the way over to them.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Yeah one other problem is that low sea levels with 7 players on a standard map made a "biggish" continent. Now a lot of that is useless pensulae but it's neverthelress a bit bigger and more cut off.

Most people have a stated preference for a Pangaea so that we all meet each other relatively early in the game, rather than playing 2 simultaneous but effectively separate games until Astronomy (at best). This does have the consequence of effectively separating players on the ends for the -entire- game excepting naval expiditions.

I'm open for experimenting with settings for future games. I think this map is generally interesting and challenging, but we're all pretty much just having neighbors East and West of us apart from Poland which is sort of off to the North a bit.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I looked it up and, apparently, setting the sea level to "high" instead will effectively create a smaller map. I'm not sure what it does to the coastline though (I like using Low because it creates an interesting coastline)

However, you can also gently caress around with the XML by opening CIV5World.xml and changing <DefaultPlayers>X</DefaultPlayers> for the map type in question. Apparently it works in multiplayer (probably because it's not considered a mod, and the host just generates the map and foists it on the unexpecting clients) so for a future game we could potentially cram everyone into a little map.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

KKKlean Energy posted:

I've used that combination a number of times and not had a problem like this with it. I've never seen something so odd. I'd assume it's just a one-off.

There are at least three or four "interior" seas like that. My capital is also on one, and I'm considering settling a city in tundra (to be fair, it would have a new luxury) just to make a canal.

As far as an LP, I've kind of toyed with the idea of taking screenshots to put together a report later, Dominions 3 style, but I always forget when it comes time for the game. Is there that much interest for a multiplayer game report?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bremen posted:

As far as an LP, I've kind of toyed with the idea of taking screenshots to put together a report later, Dominions 3 style, but I always forget when it comes time for the game. Is there that much interest for a multiplayer game report?

I for one would love to see a log of what people are thinking throughout a game, especially one I'm involved in. It sates the game theorist in me :) I think Phobophilia expressed a similar interest once (and he made a post about a GMR game we were both in)

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Bremen posted:

Is there that much interest for a multiplayer game report?

I'd read one, I've surprised myself how much I'm enjoying marborzir's civ v youtubes and I've never played civ v multiplayer and never will due to time constraints.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'd read it.

Speaking of MP, we need one more to get our GMR game "Pacal's stupid hat" off the ground. Check out the steam group for details.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'll totally try and take more screenshots and talk through my strategy. I did some decisions that probably are a lot different than the other players.

It may not go up until later in the game though.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'd read it.

Speaking of MP, we need one more to get our GMR game "Pacal's stupid hat" off the ground. Check out the steam group for details.

I tried to get someone to join and they mentioned all the invite links told him the game was "private". Might need to freshen up the invites?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Done! And here they are for good measure:

http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/9664?token=914642a2-626f-45d9-9828-f2d4deabb67f
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/9664?token=3ebdfd0e-7b2d-4871-ba33-552e00b54744
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/9664?token=8e6daeb3-5727-4a7f-99c4-d7d7887c2a8a
http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/9664?token=2f40c0f1-7a6e-4ffa-a070-0ffd604e7e34

Once full I'll make another.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The year is 1865. With the end of war approaching with a result unfavorable to the Union, in a bout of insanity President Abraham Lincoln devises a new strategy to capture Richmond: the Dong Plan.

Needless to say, it's not very effective.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
You could have spaced those citadels 2 tiles apart and encircled Richmond. No wonder it failed :colbert:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is this just confirmation bias, or does the game never start you off with any access to iron? Because I can't remember the last game where there was any nearby iron that wasn't already claimed.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Andorra posted:

The year is 1865. With the end of war approaching with a result unfavorable to the Union, in a bout of insanity President Abraham Lincoln devises a new strategy to capture Richmond: the Dong Plan.

Now I'm upset with every great conqueror ever for not thinking of some dong-type formation. Like Napoleon could have formed his 600,000 men during his Russian campaign in such a way that it looked like a giant penis erupting onto Moscow so that Russian teachers drawing the path of Napoleon in class scores of years later will suddenly realize that they have drawn a dong over the motherland and then Stalin would have them and their families erased.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Well on my third real attempt at deity I beat the game. Shoshone, Pangea, all normal settings. I won a space victory (pretty easily) was never in a war despite having build a pathfinder, 8 archers/composite/crossbowmen depending on time, a trireme, a caravel, and an xcom squad as my entire army the whole game.

I noticed I was doing well when I'd caught up in points at ~400 points. I also went liberty.

What a weird game, at least the monkey is off my back of having never beaten deity before.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

DStecks posted:

Is this just confirmation bias, or does the game never start you off with any access to iron? Because I can't remember the last game where there was any nearby iron that wasn't already claimed.

I just played a game as Rome where I started with Iron and cudgeled most everyone on my continent for 2 1/2 eras before I settled down for a culture victory.

Bashez posted:

Well on my third real attempt at deity I beat the game. Shoshone, Pangea, all normal settings. I won a space victory (pretty easily) was never in a war despite having build a pathfinder, 8 archers/composite/crossbowmen depending on time, a trireme, a caravel, and an xcom squad as my entire army the whole game.

I noticed I was doing well when I'd caught up in points at ~400 points. I also went liberty.

What a weird game, at least the monkey is off my back of having never beaten deity before.

That is so unlike my experiences with Diety (other than a liberty science win) that I really would like to hear more about your strategy. Who were the other Civs? Did the AI founder on some edge case or did things seem pretty normal otherwise?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Andorra posted:

Needless to say, it's not very effective.

Do you realize that you can build citadels one tile outside of your borders?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

That is so unlike my experiences with Diety (other than a liberty science win) that I really would like to hear more about your strategy. Who were the other Civs? Did the AI founder on some edge case or did things seem pretty normal otherwise?

Basically everything went perfect for me. I was on the edge of pangea and had enough land for four cities. I went liberty because I wanted petra in my second city (missed by a lot, wasn't familiar enough with deity timelines). My neighbors were Carthage and Austria, Harold did some weird poo poo where he settled the top and bottom of the pangea, I don't really know. Because I'm Shoshone I hit pop culture tech pop desert folklore culture. It really sped my start up. Carthage somehow didn't get a religion, while I did. The main religion wars were on the east side while I was on the west. I managed to get Carthage to my religion, which probably saved my rear end early. She punched people in the nose for me while the Dutch were running away with the game. I don't know how I caught them. I went autocracy just to avoid war, took one policy there and left it alone. Ended up going liberty, half tradition, half rationalism, finish tradition, finish rationalism and then waste points trying to get a tourism victory that would have taken past turn 1000 even with every tourism bonus possible.

Again, it was a strange game and a lot of things broke my way. Shoshone are real good.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Yeah shoshone are really flexible. I think I'm reasonably comfortable with the ins and outs of a science victory on Deity. I don't think my success rate is 1 in 3 though...Nice work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pay someone a large amount of money to settle a city on a one‐tile isthmus and trade it to you/grant you open borders.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
LPs or AARs for strategy games are fun to read, you guys should definitely go for it. I should start making a log of all my key decisions throughout the game, as well as how I respond to my opponents.

And unlike last GMR game, the two I'm playing with Klean are running fast. Though I don't expect to win these games at all, the layout of the global political landscape make them tough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DStecks posted:

Confirmation bias. Two plots of iron near my capital in my current Brazil game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Definitely conformation bias. You just never have all of what you want near your capital! You are cursed! I want three luxuries and two strategics, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
You know one thing that is suddenly really bothering me about Civilization:
How is it that all of these rulers manage to keep themselves alive and in power for such ridiculously long amounts of time?

• Locked thread