Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Adulterous Hitler posted:

German media are reporting that FIFA will have a vote on the reallocation of the 2022 World Cup later this year or at the latest at their conference in the spring of 2015.

Looks like Qatar is gonna get fleeced again.

"This is your final warning (to dig up 50 million more Euros in bribes)!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Franz Beckenbauer went to Qatar and he looked really hard and he didnt see any illegal slaves or deathtrap building sites or anything like that, and if you cant trust him who can you trust

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adulterous Hitler posted:

German media are reporting that FIFA will have a vote on the reallocation of the 2022 World Cup later this year or at the latest at their conference in the spring of 2015.

Looks like Qatar is gonna get fleeced again.

Well, they're either going to move it or not. If they move it it'll be a sign that they had no idea the bad publicity they would get from giving the World Cup to a tiny slave state. If they don't move it it'll be a sign that Qatar has spent even more money buying them off.

I wonder which one is more likely.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Blue Screen Error posted:

Thats Nepalling

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It wont get moved. Qatar are such a small footballing nation that they wouldnt care if Fifa banned them for life for exposing all the bribery they paid to get it there in the first place.

We're going to get some guff about 'improving conditions' and 'keeping a vigilant eye on proceedings' and then Sepp will show up with a new Ferrari.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Just have it in the US every time, problem solved.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bobby Digital posted:

Just have it in the US every time, problem solved.

The USA must never again be allowed to host a World Cup.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I hope there's another picture of that loving disgusting Qatari delegate having the WC trophy ripped out of his hands and then being kicked down a big hole 300 style

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

T. Finninho posted:

I hope there's another picture of that loving disgusting Qatari delegate having the WC trophy ripped out of his hands and then being kicked down a big hole 300 style

I would also like Sepp blatter to make a sexist comment about a woman footballer who then stabs him and he dies and a load of Qatari stamped gold coins fall out his pocket while the rest of FIFA chant traitor.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want Sepp Blatter to win another election, at which point they just announce that he's now President-For-Life of FIFA, and then he goes up onto the stage to give his acceptance speech and this happens:

because he was so weighed down by Qatari gold.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

India have confirmed 500 people have died since 2012 building poo poo in Qatar

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
the indians in can't build shocker

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

the indians in can't build shocker

Quoting this post to see if its actually real.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Scott Bakula posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

India have confirmed 500 people have died since 2012 building poo poo in Qatar

So that's nearly 1000 people in two years and there's another 8 years to go

Carrier
May 12, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Quoting this post to see if its actually real.

I've done some analysis and it looks like its real.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So that's nearly 1000 people in two years and there's another 8 years to go

Nearly 1000 people from the 38% of workers that are from Nepal and India. The actual figure is going to be a lot higher

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Blue Screen Error posted:

Nearly 1000 people from the 38% of workers that are from Nepal and India. The actual figure is going to be a lot higher

Can you source this please, I need it for a project.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

Official figures confirmed by the Indian embassy in Doha reveal that 237 Indians working in Qatar died in 2012 and 241 in 2013. A further 24 Indians have died in January 2014.

These come after the Guardian revealed last month that 185 Nepalese workers had died in Qatar in 2013, taking the total from that country to at least 382 over two years.

The figures from the Indian embassy show that 233 Indian migrants died in 2010 and 239 in 2011, taking the total over four years to 974. Since the World Cup was awarded to Qatar in December 2010, there have been 717 recorded Indian deaths.

There are an estimated 1.2 million migrant workers in Qatar. Those from India make up 22% of the total, with a similar proportion from Pakistan. Around 16% are from Nepal, 13% from Iran, 11% from the Philippines, 8% from Egypt and 8% from Sri Lanka.

Assuming that the 717 Indian deaths since 2010 are a reasonable metric and Indians aren't just uniquely clumsy and accident prone, then you're looking at over 3000 slave deaths since the World Cup was awarded to Qatar.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone has info about pre-world cup announcement death figures for migrants, like x out of y wise in Qatar? There's probably lots of skyscrapers being built there I imagine like in Dubai or some other business centers of the Middle East, so percentage wise death figures might have been the same, just more workers for the vagina shaped stadiums and whatnot.

Also, 2/3 of deaths are from heart failure, what up with that? They are given a slice of bread and a cup of water daily in 40 C heat?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

They are given a slice of bread and a cup of water daily in 40 C heat?

I would be shocked if they were.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
The Qataris are idiots. What are they doing building the stadiums 8 years before the World Cup anyway? Aren't these things normally done in the last minute?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

jyrka posted:

The Qataris are idiots. What are they doing building the stadiums 8 years before the World Cup anyway? Aren't these things normally done in the last minute?

The best case scenario is them getting close to getting all the stadiums done but at the cost of thousands of lives and FIFA decides to reward the World Cup to America or Germany or something a year or two before the world cup starts.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
America would be almost as bad as Qatar. Maybe its time for football to come home.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Pissflaps posted:

America would be almost as bad as Qatar. Maybe its time for football to come home.

The world cup in Scotland would be the best world cup ever.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Also, 2/3 of deaths are from heart failure, what up with that? They are given a slice of bread and a cup of water daily in 40 C heat?

Pretty sure I read a piece about the native Nepalese being accustomed to living at very high altitudes, and thus the heavy workload at normal altitudes takes a higher toll on their oxygen intake. Which in turn strains the heart because it needs to pump a lot more blood around than usual. Something like that. Blatter will probably "fix" it by only havin the Nepalese dudes to do the roofing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

England will never host the World Cup again becase [insert made-up FIFA concerns here]

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

jyrka posted:

I think they haven't literally started building them yet? The outcry is probably aimed towards the general poo poo conditions and safety in the construction business that is there to get people's attention because "holy poo poo, World Cup, stadiums need to be built". I might be wrong though, but I can't really find info about it.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

JunkDeluxe posted:

Pretty sure I read a piece about the native Nepalese being accustomed to living at very high altitudes, and thus the heavy workload at normal altitudes takes a higher toll on their oxygen intake. Which in turn strains the heart because it needs to pump a lot more blood around than usual. Something like that. Blatter will probably "fix" it by only havin the Nepalese dudes to do the roofing.

I thought heart failure was just code for heat stroke?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bea Nanner posted:

I thought heart failure was just code for heat stroke?

It's probably a default for anything if there isn't any trauma involved. Nobody's probably going to a perform an autopsy on those guys in Qatar or at home.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

jyrka posted:

Actually they are pretty smart because if they finish building the stadiums in like let's say 2017 the world will have done years to forget about everything that happened and got reported during construction.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

The world cup in Scotland would be the best world cup ever.

All glory to MC Kris Boyd!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

serious gaylord posted:

It wont get moved. Qatar are such a small footballing nation that they wouldnt care if Fifa banned them for life for exposing all the bribery they paid to get it there in the first place.

We're going to get some guff about 'improving conditions' and 'keeping a vigilant eye on proceedings' and then Sepp will show up with a new Ferrari.

Yeah, they'll just use that vote to "prove" that the original voting process was on the up and up.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

I would also like Sepp blatter to make a sexist comment about a woman footballer who then stabs him and he dies and a load of Qatari stamped gold coins fall out his pocket while the rest of FIFA chant traitor.

Is someone on this yet? It would own. Let Sian Massey stab him, maybe get Andy Gray and Richard Keys play those leprous dudes

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

When are China going to host the World Cup?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Hegav posted:

2030 at the earliest. 2026 isn't allowed to go to Asia or Europe so the dreaded USA World Cup is quite likely.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Hegav posted:

They're pumping their money into large scale infrastructure projects, so probably about 2 years after they finish to show them off (and just before they all fall apart).

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

jyrka posted:

2030 at the earliest. 2026 isn't allowed to go to Asia or Europe so the dreaded USA World Cup is quite likely.

By 2026, the USA might actually be able to get to the quarter finals again.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

By 2026, the USA might actually be able to get to the quarter finals again.

because Jozy will have died during triple bypass?

e: in 2026 they'll be hosted in the Caymans or something hilarious

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
2030 is the World Cup centenary year, I hope they have it somewhere good. Uruguay or England imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

atomic gog posted:

2030 is the World Cup centenary year, I hope they have it somewhere good. Uruguay or England imo.

Would like 2030 in Uruguay or England but then i also realised i'll be in my late 40's and it makes me sad.