Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MikeJF posted:

Nah, I'm sure there's a directive down from the top of every studio to twilight-ise the cover of every property that can be.

Books too

e. What a lovely top page post.
Here's two Mondo prints that I liked from a recent newsletter.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

A few more Mondo posters by Laurent Durieux.

Edit: Just beaten, mostly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of misleading covers

Note, she does not have blonde hair in this movie.

Also, weird thing about this movie, I know it exists because of the poster/cover, trailer and news article but there's no record of it on IMDB at all.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Also, weird thing about this movie, I know it exists because of the poster/cover, trailer and news article but there's no record of it on IMDB at all.

It's just listed under its original title, but still the first search result for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It looks like he's on the first floor and using his binoculars to look at a dude standing right in front of his window.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy gently caress, The Asylum wasted no time in getting their version of Pompeii out there:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That looks like it's gonna be way better than the actual Pompeii movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's written by Bill Hanstock, who is generally a funny guy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

That looks like it's gonna be way better than the actual Pompeii movie.
Yeah I have zero interest in seeing Pompeii but I'm actually kind of curious about the mockbuster version based on the poster alone.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy gently caress, The Asylum wasted no time in getting their version of Pompeii out there:

I've seen that episode of Doctor Who.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mister Chief posted:

Edit: Just beaten, mostly.

Boy that guy sure likes orange.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

effectual posted:

They bought it in bulk from Dick Blick.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

So, how many seconds is John Rhys-Davies in this?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Mister Chief posted:

I snagged one of these today. "Rear Window" is one of my all time favorites, but I've never liked any poster I've seen of it, I thought this one was really nice though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Corek posted:

So, how many seconds is John Rhys-Davies in this?

He's not. Asylum couldn't scrounge up enough money for audio so Davies is actually playing the volcano and doing all sound effects for it. So it's just him going BOOM and other loud noises in the background for the 2nd half of the movie.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Man, they should have gotten Brian Blessed to do that.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

My favorite Goosebumps book!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Good news we're getting an Attack on Titan movie.

Bad news it's by Asylum.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die

effectual posted:

Orange and teal son, orange and teal.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Raid 2 poster:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wendell posted:

Man, they should have gotten Brian Blessed to do that.

They would not even need to get him in the studio, just find any interview or performance and you have all that you need.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Bella and Edward's Favourite Book? did this come up in the original books, or the movies?

See, there's this theory that while the books are meant to be taken 100% as-written, the movies are more subversive and subtly mocking the sparklevampire setting. Edward is a creepy weirdo, and Bella is a manipulative puppetmistress.

And Wuthering Heights is basically Stockholm Syndrome disguised as true love.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Elfface posted:

See, there's this theory that while the books are meant to be taken 100% as-written, the movies are more subversive and subtly mocking the sparklevampire setting. Edward is a creepy weirdo, and Bella is a manipulative puppetmistress.

I am pretty sure that this could be true as Robert Pattinson really really hated the books and thought that Edward was a creepy weirdo.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Going by the trailer, it's set in modern times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBSqOmeGs-M

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The MSJ posted:

The Raid 2 poster:

The eyebrows and lighting on the face make this look like how I guess John Dees sees Obama.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

morestuff posted:

It's written by Bill Hanstock, who is generally a funny guy.

I doubt any cleverness or humor has survived the Asylum touch.

I've thought that Asylum could be much bigger if they were more like Roger Corman. Corman was all about making the most of his limited resources. Things like scripts, character actors, and talented people just out of film school are cheap and when applied correctly will enhance the film. If Asylum was tongue in cheek with their approach and playful then they'd be a lot better, instead they seem to try to be the generic store-brand bulk cereal to the big studios' Frosted Flakes.

A friend of mine with connections to people in the industry told me that it was always sad to hear that someone had to work on an Asylum project. That's how you knew that they had hit hard times.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 19, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish Asylum was knocked off the face of the earth - what a piece of trash company.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure that this could be true as Robert Pattinson really really hated the books and thought that Edward was a creepy weirdo.

He was cast because he played Edward like that in his audition, when everyone else tried to play him as the perfect amazing guy from the (entirely Bella's biased perspective) books.

The films are absolutely a response to the novels.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Vintersorg posted:

I wish Asylum was knocked off the face of the earth - what a piece of trash company.
That's kind of harsh. Nobody's forcing you to watch their films.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They serve no purpose except to trick people out of the know into watching and buying their films. Not that everything should be high art but at least loving try to making something good. I watched their Pacific Rim ripoff just to see how bad it could be and it was just so loving lazy and embarrassing. Usually someone will say in the end it's about a paycheque - but how much can one even make from these things? $10k? It's all garbage and no one is laughing with them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Asylum films make money. They are profitable, and generally sold to the 'Oh my god, this is going to be so bad' student crowd.

It's that Brzilian one that knocks off Pixar and Dreamworks who need to die, they're tricking kids.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Vintersorg posted:

They serve no purpose except to trick people out of the know into watching and buying their films. Not that everything should be high art but at least loving try to making something good. I watched their Pacific Rim ripoff just to see how bad it could be and it was just so loving lazy and embarrassing. Usually someone will say in the end it's about a paycheque - but how much can one even make from these things? $10k? It's all garbage and no one is laughing with them.

This is pretty much my interpretation of the Marvel movies as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The thing is, we already have Troma to crank out low-budget schlock (and/or buy the rights to other peoples' low-budget schlock) so we don't really need Asylum. That, and Troma makes movies that are actually fun to watch with humor that (mostly) works. They also don't need to rip off the latest flavor-of-the-month Hollywood blockbuster movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Exactly. You know you're going to have the audience that you lure in by being similar, why not do something smaller scale and entertaining? Consider the b-movies of the fifties and sixties or the exploitation films of the seventies or the entire output of New World Pictures and Cannon Films in the eighties. Massive piles of schlock and terrible things, but the best of them work within their limitations and create something special. Even when Asylum has the opportunity to make those kinds of things they piss away.

Look at Sharknado. So there's a gag name that sounds like a fake movie. Asylum decided that was enough and didn't put any effort beyond that into it. I'd actually recommend watching it just because it's astounding how incompetently made it is.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Look at Sharknado. So there's a gag name that sounds like a fake movie. Asylum decided that was enough and didn't put any effort beyond that into it. I'd actually recommend watching it just because it's astounding how incompetently made it is.

This is what their business model is and you are contributing to and incentivizing them to keep doing it. If you think they should stop doing it, stop giving their movies any attention.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I uploaded this battle scene from one of their films to YouTube. It's hilariously bad also charming in a way. It stars the actor who played Teal'c on the Stargate TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-qLT6PN3kk

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Asylum was literally founded for the sole purpose of ripping off people who go to RedBox and accidentally pick Sherlock Holmes instead of Sherlock Holmes or Mother instead of Mama. It's scummy as gently caress and they make all their money off of slipped fingers and forgetful grandmas. The bad z-grade creature features are a step up because at least it's people actually choosing to see them based on goofy titles and posters rather than actual trickery.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Daryl Hannah and Tim Russ? Oh man.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
All this talk about confusing ripoff tactics and marketing for older works referencing newer, more popular ones related to them has reminded me of a good example of both that I encountered a while back.

...Ya.

Original poster for comparison/because it's loving awesome.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Doctor Bishop posted:

All this talk about confusing ripoff tactics and marketing for older works referencing newer, more popular ones related to them has reminded me of a good example of both that I encountered a while back.

...Ya.
Where's the "confusing ripoff tactics" part?