Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Bad Munki posted:

I really gotta ask: why didn't you just incorporate shipping costs into the pledges? Am I really supposed to pledge $15.76 for the $12 reward? Why not just make it a $16 pledge level?

You don't. You pledge $12 now, and then it's going to cost you $3.76 to pay for printing from DrivethruRPG/RPGnow/etc later once you get the at-cost shipping code.

quote:

Why do I have to pay you, and then pay again to get the book -OR- Whats with this extra cost in each tier -OR- How much is international shipping?

Rather than take all of your pledges and order a pile of books and have all sorts of trouble shipping and dealing with international shipping rates and losing your orders, print fulfillment will be handled through OneBookShelf (DriveThruRPG, RPGNow, etc). Their system allows me to create a discount for a product down to the minimum cost of the print. For a 108 page softcover, this cost is $3.76. For example, for the softcover option, this means you pay $12 through Kickstarter to our team, then $3.76 to OneBookShelf, plus whatever shipping method you choose.

quote:

How am I gonna get my stuff?
Rewards will be delivered through OneBookShelf. Digital rewards will be be in the form of free downloads through their system. Physical copies will be "at cost" codes through their print on-demand service. It does mean you will have to pay shipping and a small fee (see above), but that way we can keep the overhead low and keep fulfillment quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bad Munki posted:

I really gotta ask: why didn't you just incorporate shipping costs into the pledges? Am I really supposed to pledge $15.76 for the $12 reward? Why not just make it a $16 pledge level?

From the looks of it, if I'm reading it correctly, after the campaign is over you have to then turn around and make another purchase for actually printing and shipping costs from OneBookShelf.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Don't include the shipping cost in your pledge. That gets added by OneBookShelf later, along with the print cost. If you want the $12 level, pledge that much, and your final price will be $15.76, 12 to KS/me, 3.76+shipping to OBS

The idea is to use their print on demand system, so that I don't end up missing a bunch of people in shipping, I don't end up with a stack of books in my living room, and hopefully people in other countries get a decent rate on shipping (OBS has a UK facility).

wow efb on my own KS

Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 19, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

You just pledge 12, but the 15.76 cost is there to tell you what the eventual cost is going to be.. It's an artifact of how our distribution people want things done: Dagon can only give coupons that let books be printed "at cost", and the cost of the book is 3.76. The advantage of this is that the people doing the distribution are specialized in doing that, so there won't be unexpected shipping delays as a bunch of completely new people try to learn the ropes and end up strangling the project. The downside is that it looks like, well, that.

e: hah, this entire page will be nothing but explaining this

ee: Also, that means you don't have to pledge the shipping to the KS. The shipping cost only takes effect once the book is out, and is paid to the distributor. There'll probably be an update about this right quick.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 19, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikan posted:

You don't. You pledge $12 now, and then it's going to cost you $3.76 to pay for printing from DrivethruRPG/RPGnow/etc later once you get the at-cost shipping code.

Oh. Whelp, looks like I overpleged! You're welcome for the non-round pledge amount, Dagon.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, okay, that's confusing. Having the extra cost listed in the pledge level is what threw me off.

e: Of course, it'd be clearer if I read through the entire description, but I doubt I'm abnormal in that I start my examination of a KS by quickly looking over the pledge levels to see what I'd get for each amount. Seeing weird numbers over there is my first impression.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Oy! I don't like parting with my poo poo. I really don't. But for a goon fellow TG nerd...

What coins do you need?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I understand why it works for you to do it that way, but I don't think anyone's seen that structure before and its going to really trip people up. Be prepared for people a month from now to be very upset about not reading that section properly. I predict headaches all around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

7thBatallion posted:

Oy! I don't like parting with my poo poo. I really don't. But for a goon fellow TG nerd...

What coins do you need?

If you're willing, all I need is a single 2 and a single 100,000 coin, and that'll complete my set. Shoot me a PM and we can knock out details.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

General Ironicus posted:

I understand why it works for you to do it that way, but I don't think anyone's seen that structure before and its going to really trip people up. Be prepared for people a month from now to be very upset about not reading that section properly. I predict headaches all around.

Beats shipping costs changing on you and eating all the profit form the kickstarter, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I've also seen some where they don't charge shipping during the Kickstarter, but instead wait until they're ready to actually ship, so they can get an accurate estimate. RAFM, for example. Seemed to work out well enough, though there were some people who missed the memo and complained.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

General Ironicus posted:

Oh yeah, we'll have loads of fun.

Really, it's the devil's choice. Include the cost in the pledge amount and be confusing, or not include the extra cost in the pledge amount and have it sneak up on people. We went with the first because the latter would just be mean. OneBookShelf's kickstarter ideas are something to be worked around, not something you use as a selling point, but at least they competently handle shipping.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Dagon posted:

Speaking of unprofessional, I'm Kickstarting a list!

100 Deluxe Dungeons

Had no idea you were a goon! Backed this before even checking the thread.

I also picked up the previous list from DTRPG before noticing it was a freebie, just because. Enjoy the extra dollar.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

jivjov posted:

If you're willing, all I need is a single 2 and a single 100,000 coin, and that'll complete my set. Shoot me a PM and we can knock out details.

There was also a guy in the comments offering to do this for you, since he had a ton.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Danoss posted:

Had no idea you were a goon! Backed this before even checking the thread.

I also picked up the previous list from DTRPG before noticing it was a freebie, just because. Enjoy the extra dollar.

Email me at chris@lees-lists.com and I'll hook you up with another list or two of your choice for your dollar.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

jivjov posted:

B-b-but...

If I give you a 100,000 coin I won't have an even number any more... :bang:

(I need to log in on the website, not the app. Forgot passwords..)

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

All aboard the Give Goons Money train!

PS: When can I give someone my money for Fortune System: Ragnarok?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Spincut posted:

Why, yes, I do want to give goons money!

Also, it makes me backer number 2, which fills me with a weird sort of glee.

I was backer number 1. :smug:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Bad Munki posted:

My question is why kickstarter hasn't yet made it so that when you pledge, you pledge project money, and shipping money, and shipping money doesn't go towards the listed amount pledged for the project.

This let's devs and backers know how much real money has gone to the project, and doesn't gently caress over projects that barely make their money.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Wazzu posted:

My question is why kickstarter hasn't yet made it so that when you pledge, you pledge project money, and shipping money, and shipping money doesn't go towards the listed amount pledged for the project.

This let's devs and backers know how much real money has gone to the project, and doesn't gently caress over projects that barely make their money.

I'm pretty sure the people who would use that properly already properly factor in shipping costs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

This is far from the first Kickstarter to do this, actually.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Dagon posted:

There are some people out there that really hate lists, so I'm fishing for one of them with more money than sense.

If someone backs this level, will you compensate your writers for the lay-off? :v:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

VoodooXT posted:

Democracy: Majority Rules by Mark Rein-Hagen. In one of his recent updates--an update that finally came after months of nothing--he tells us to "calm the gently caress down" (and not even answering anything).

Huh? I'd heard that was interesting... and was supposed to be out for Essen last year. It's still just vaporware?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is far from the first Kickstarter to do this, actually.

Oh, my mistake. I just haven't seen any. I predict some headaches but fewer than before.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

Oh, my mistake. I just haven't seen any. I predict some headaches but fewer than before.

Yeah, it's no doubt still going to lead to that (from people who didn't read the post or didn't spot the difference between the pledge level and final price in the rewards section), but it's basically the new standard for indie games, now that USPS has made shipping internationally from the US prohibitively expensive.

It's also nice because, like Dagon explained, it means not having to ship books to people yourself (thus avoiding the headache of storing them, shipping them and having to ship extras when some copies are missing).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

jivjov posted:

Eh, the tone of the PMs I had been getting from Minion were pretty dickish, so I decided to snark in kind.

You're also the guy who (as far as I can tell) pitched a fit over Evil Hat using Backerkit to manage their multiple-product kickstarter, though. In the future you might want to consider trying to be polite even if the other guy isn't. That makes it easier for other folks to be on your side.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

outlier posted:

Huh? I'd heard that was interesting... and was supposed to be out for Essen last year. It's still just vaporware?

Some backers supposedly got their copies at Essen but nothing concrete has turned up. Honestly, I've accepted that it's most likely never going to come and I'm okay with that. If it does, then I'm just going to sell it and try to get my money back. My interest in the game went away a long time ago.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The company behind the Basius basing pads have launched a new campaign with a similarly goofy name - Stencilis, flexible stencils for miniature painting.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Mostly thanks to you all, 100 Deluxe Dungeons is just $75 away from being 100% funded in its first 24 hours.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Dagon posted:

Mostly thanks to you all, 100 Deluxe Dungeons is just $75 away from being 100% funded in its first 24 hours.

Looks awesome to me, backed!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ripley posted:

The company behind the Basius basing pads have launched a new campaign with a similarly goofy name - Stencilis, flexible stencils for miniature painting.

Finally the Dolphin Sigil I have always needed. I think this campaign might not be as successful as their last since they can't intrude on IP to make Star Wars or Warhammer stencils; neat idea though.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Dagon posted:

Yay 100%!

Crap now I have to actually finish this thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dagon posted:

Yay 100%!

the loving kickstarter posted:

Work on the book is nearly complete.
:crossarms:

(just kidding - congrats on a successful kickstarter! pro tip - don't involve Red Mage in the project.)

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Yay 100%! Crap now I have to actually finish this thing.

I'm in for a PDF - fun idea. This is the first paper RPG product I've bought since, I think, the late 80s. Congrats.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dagon posted:

Yay 100%!

I've never managed to actually play a RPG. So I'm gonna get your book and dream.

So make it good :colbert:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dagon posted:

Yay 100%!

Time for Stretch Goa:suicide:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

:crossarms:

(just kidding - congrats on a successful kickstarter! pro tip - don't involve Red Mage in the project.)

Work IS complete, just not my part of the work :(

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's 100% written, and the banner artwork is 100% done, so yeah Dagon's the man to complain to if things go slow :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of things that are 100% written and 100% done I just got my email with the link to the finished, bookmarked version of Inverse World :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modiphius
Feb 20, 2014

homullus posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but there is a Kickstarter for the 3rd edition of the RPG for The Mutant Chronicles. The reason I think this might be relevant is that the "cinematic rules" are going to be designed by Jay Little, who designed the X-Wing Minatures Game, and more importantly, designed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E and its heir, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.

Thanks for the plug! We brought Jay Little in to work on re-writing the heavily playtested Alpha rules, he's got a free hand with it, and what I've seen so far is a really great move on. Definitely the right choice bringing him on board. And a lovely chap! Funnily enough we had a massivvvvvve discussion of 'funny' dice over on rpg.net which I won't start again but the original Mutant Chronicles system was d20 based so this is taking that forward (with a little twist) and I wanted it to be as commercial as possible for a small company like us.

Now talking about other games I liked the look of https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/223990682/the-convicted-expand-your-town-and-fight-for-survi?ref=discovery - it's a cool looking euro co-op game of building and defending your town. Looks really nice. I recently got 8 Minute Empire through the post that I backed last year and that was really nice - cute little area control fantasy game.

• Locked thread