Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

SubNat posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you just straight up delete the .shipworld, Starbound will refuse to load the character. Transplanting it from a different character, however, works fine.

You can find saves in Starbound/Player.

Now, Just remember if you want to store stuff, Store it off ship, like on a home planet or something. Just a reminder.

Here's a guide on how to load a new ship onto a character.
( If you're wondering about backups, it's the 3 files connected to each character ID, aka .metadata, .shipworld and .player. )

It works by simply having the game generate a new ship for a new character, then copying that ship and adding it to an older character.

Hopefully that helps.

e: Yes, it mentions shipmods, but it's exactly the same for the base ships, if you were wondering.

This is excellent, thank you very much. While we're on the newbie subject of ship mods (and mods in general), are things like custom ships useable if I go to multiplayer? Would a custom ship or other mod not appear for anyone without that file? Assuming you can invite others onto your ship...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Oh man, I love the accessibility of modding this game - just working on a low damage machine-gun that strips armor away from the target the longer you're hitting them. It's just amazing that you can be like 'hey I bet this would work' and sketch something out and then it just works perfectly in-game. This game is something special!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hakarne posted:

This is excellent, thank you very much. While we're on the newbie subject of ship mods (and mods in general), are things like custom ships useable if I go to multiplayer? Would a custom ship or other mod not appear for anyone without that file? Assuming you can invite others onto your ship...

Provided you use I believe one of the two most popular custom ship mods, they'll work perfectly in multiplayer. (It's kind of amazing.) When you party up with other people you can all beam to one another's ships, so make sure you party up with trustworthy goons and not randos on a public server. Unless shiplockers are still gone; then go hogwild.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Provided you use I believe one of the two most popular custom ship mods, they'll work perfectly in multiplayer. (It's kind of amazing.) When you party up with other people you can all beam to one another's ships, so make sure you party up with trustworthy goons and not randos on a public server. Unless shiplockers are still gone; then go hogwild.

Doesn't look like MadTulips Spaceship Mod works for Enraged Koala, nor Customizable Ships. What a shame.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My locker and bed are still hosed on my ship.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Ship mods generally work, although there are kinda 4 types of shipmods.

Type 1: Just reskins of the default ships.
These work without issue, but anyone without the mod will just see the original image you overwrote.
Example:
If only player 1 has it installed: Player 1 recoloured his human ship to be totally rad, black with red highlights. When he plays online, he will see any other human ship with the same black/red colourscheme as him, while other players will just see his ship as the default human ship.

If others have it installed: They also will be able to see the kickin' Black/red scheme for the human ships.

Type 2: Custom Build your own ships.
These also work in multiplayer, since they usually throw away unique assets, and rather let the player place the blocks themselves.

If player 1 has it installed: It works just fine both in SP and MP, and he won't have any issue seeing normal ships for other characters, as the mod won't override any assets.

If others have it installed: Everyone has their own ship, and everything is nice and good, everyone has their own neat, self built poo poo.

Type 3: Custom ships with new/edited Assets ( only graphical).
These come in 2 variants, ones that are lazy and overwrite the default assets ( for example installing the entire ship into a single race's folder, I'm guilty of this since I hastily updated my ships a while ago. ) And ones that only overwrite the dropship.structure file, these usually have both a race folder, as well as a folder just for the ship itself in the /ships/ folder.

Now these are a step more complicated multiplayer-wise.
The overwrite/lazy version: It works fine for you, but anyone you play with will only see your ship as the race's default ship overlayed over a layout that doesn't match at all. Even worse, when you play with others, you'll see their ship ( if the race is the same as the one you installed the mod to) as the overlay for your custom ship, which won't fit with the race's default. )

How to make it work in multiplayer: If Player 1 is human, and P2 is Avian, then both players need to install the mod into both human and avian folders, that way it'll display properly for both.

The Supplement/better version: Others will still have the problem where they'll see the race's default assets on your ship. But, if you go to someone else's ship, it'll display their default ship without issue, as you didn't overwrite that race's ship background/overlay. Same issue as earlier.

How to make it work in multiplayer: Everyone needs it installed, so that they have the assets to display it properly, but they don't need to use the mod itself. With Supplement shipmods like this, you can have for example 2 humans players on a server, one with the default ship, and 1 with the custom ship, and both will display properly, as the ship doesn't overwrite original assets.
( Each ship specifies where to find the assets for it, the game is pretty flexible like that. )

Lastly, Type 4: Shipmods that add new assets/items as mods.
I dunno, I assume everyone including the server needs to have it installed, to be able to display and use the new items properly.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

My locker and bed are still hosed on my ship.

Pick your bed up and put it back down, that should fix that.

Quote from Omni on the storage stuff though

OmnipotentEntity posted:

There's not going to be a way to recover containers lost in this fashion unfortunately. If you don't have backups, you can still player your character by allowing the game to regenerate your shipworld. But anything that was in your ship previously is lost.

What wound up happening is actually pretty drat stupid.

In order to update files more effectively and agilely we implemented the update routines in lua, so if something is flagged out of date the lua script to update from that version to current or a chain of such scripts are run.

We recently made a rather major object update to make all objects interactive and scriptable, which caused the "interactive" object type to be deprecated. A side effect that we didn't realize is that objects you sit on, such as beds and chairs, suddenly became non-interactive because there was not proper information regarding interactivity in these older objects. So we created a lua script to update all loungeable objects to set interactive to true.

However, in lua, lists and tables are not allowed to contain nil values. We have created a workaround for tables, but not yet for lists, because it just hadn't come up yet. So if you have a list in C++ that looks like {1, 2, nil, 3, 4, nil, nil, nil} and you pass it to lua it becomes {1, 2, nil, 3, 4} and if you iterate through it you only get 1, 2

So when we passed the contents of a container object through lua and back without touching it explicitly, it truncated the size of the object if the last position wasn't filled.

Because the object had a list that was too small it failed to initialize in the world. Because this isn't a fatal error, it just logged to the console and went on its merry way. And then saved the world on exit without the container in the world, thus erasing the container.

gently caress.

We've fixed and pushed in hotfix form the "can't initialize in the world if the list is too small" problem. And we're working on the lua list passing back and forth problem.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Hm. So I tried playing last night and was crashing a lot more than usual post-patch, especially on my pre-patch character. The game is perfectly playable (again) now for everybody, right, you just need to pick-up/put down all chairs and beds? Just curious so I know if I need to verify files/reinstall if the game is still borked when I get home tonight.

Unrelated: With the valentines day stuff, is it like the Christmas stuff? An alternate cash you get from dead monsters that you can craft a bench for and then make a load of goodies?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

So I haven't loaded up Starbound since before this latest patch. If I want all my ship containers to be intact should I wait until a new patch comes out to fix the problem, or are they boned regardless?

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Vahalla posted:

Hm. So I tried playing last night and was crashing a lot more than usual post-patch, especially on my pre-patch character. The game is perfectly playable (again) now for everybody, right, you just need to pick-up/put down all chairs and beds? Just curious so I know if I need to verify files/reinstall if the game is still borked when I get home tonight.

Unrelated: With the valentines day stuff, is it like the Christmas stuff? An alternate cash you get from dead monsters that you can craft a bench for and then make a load of goodies?

Re-placing the chests, furniture and crafting tables worked for me.

As for the Valentine's stuff, you can craft a special Heart Furnace and make stuff, like a Cupid outfit and a heart bow, directly from that with your regular items. I haven't seen any monsters drop any special items yet.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yikes, there goes a lot of my mid-tier ores... in the wake of this, I'm hunting through the galaxy to find the perfect planet upon which to built my impregnable warehouse of stuff. It will be gigantic and completely impractical, it's utility as a storage facility can be secondary.

I'm thinking impressive glitch castle up top, and terrifying apex lab in the basement.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Eonwe posted:

Pick your bed up and put it back down, that should fix that.

Quote from Omni on the storage stuff though

That's actually pretty interesting. I don't code but problems like this are kind of fun to read about. Nice of them to give the exact reason why a bug occurred, too.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah first time I tried to play it in like a week, and half my storage containers are missing from the ship along with the robotic crafting table, upgraded anvil, and whatnot. And interacting with literally anything on the ship crashes the game. So much for that whole never needing to do a wipe assurance. :v: Oh well, betas, what can ya do.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll wait 2 weeks and hit up a goon friend to hold my stuff and make a new character if it isn't fixed.

DrunkYardGnome
Jul 8, 2010
I don't know if this is a thing, but in my experience over the past few days and through many hours of playing on a multiplayer server I was hosting, I never had any issues with containers despawning on me. But the instant I switched to a SP world, half of my poo poo was gone.

Probably has more to do with the fact that the MP server is up and doesn't save/exit the way you do in SP, but it still might be a decent temporary fix.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What is a good way to update a windows based server for this game.

Here are the details: I run a server for me and a couple friends to mess around on. It is on my gaming machine. I ran into a problem where leaving the server running all the time Steam would think the game was running and not let me start it again. The solution to that was copying the install folder to another location and running the server executable from there. Now the server can stay running and I can come and go as I choose.

However I cannot find any way to update the server files because there is no Steam session tied to it. I haven't tried it yet but I am thinking I may have to swap the directories around so steam thinks the server one is the main one. That may be the easiest way to do it but I was wondering if anyone had a better solution. I guess there is a server front end if your running CentOS but I am not. And everything else on the official forums says "Dur tell your rental server admin to upgrade it for you".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MrGreenShirt posted:

So I haven't loaded up Starbound since before this latest patch. If I want all my ship containers to be intact should I wait until a new patch comes out to fix the problem, or are they boned regardless?

Seconding this. I haven't booted up yet. I'm sure it auto patched but I haven't played. If I wait for a next patch will it sort itself or are all containers hosed no matter what.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

SubNat posted:

Fantastic mod info

Awesome, thank you! That's a really good write-up and deserves a spot in the next OP.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Is anyone else not able to set a home now?

This game :smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zenzirouj posted:

That's actually pretty interesting. I don't code but problems like this are kind of fun to read about. Nice of them to give the exact reason why a bug occurred, too.

Code problems like that are basically the life of a programmer, especially in large projects. It's sad because a lot of people are going to lose their damned minds over the fact that they lost some in-game items (because I guess "this is a beta, expect poo poo to go wrong if you play" wasn't sufficient?) while anybody that's written code is going "yeah, that poo poo happens" while thinking about times they've had similar errors in stuff they've been working on.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Code problems like that are basically the life of a programmer, especially in large projects. It's sad because a lot of people are going to lose their damned minds over the fact that they lost some in-game items (because I guess "this is a beta, expect poo poo to go wrong if you play" wasn't sufficient?) while anybody that's written code is going "yeah, that poo poo happens" while thinking about times they've had similar errors in stuff they've been working on.

I'd much rather lose a bunch of stuff from some chests in a game than have to spend ages trying to catch bugs involving things being just not quite the right size.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I haven't logged in or patched in a couple weeks, so I think I'll just wait a few more and hope my poo poo isn't broken. I don't think I can be hosed starting again and losing all my tools and benches etc so soon after the last wipe.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Rasmussen posted:

I haven't logged in or patched in a couple weeks, so I think I'll just wait a few more and hope my poo poo isn't broken. I don't think I can be hosed starting again and losing all my tools and benches etc so soon after the last wipe.

Yeah, probably a good idea, but hey its beta.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'll wait 2 weeks and hit up a goon friend to hold my stuff and make a new character if it isn't fixed.

Start server.

You win.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Morning posted:

Yeah, probably a good idea, but hey its beta.

Oh totally not complaining. I've been having a blast but Banished just came out, so!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's especially weird because you can just use Starcheat and take 3 minutes and fill up your backpack with everything you need to get back on track. I lost my character and all his stuff so I just added all the ore upgrades and some impervium and now everything is close to what it was before. All of my coding has been on far smaller projects, I think doing this with piles of consumers would probably give me stomach cancer.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I put my first mod out last night! :woop:

I noticed that getting large amounts of material for construction projects was a grindy pain in the rear end, so I made a replicator workstation where you combine one block and a 10k voxel to create 10k of that block. Makes it so your building materials are largely only limited by how many pixels you have, so no more grinding out titanium or iron or what have you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I Said No posted:

I put my first mod out last night! :woop:

I noticed that getting large amounts of material for construction projects was a grindy pain in the rear end, so I made a replicator workstation where you combine one block and a 10k voxel to create 10k of that block. Makes it so your building materials are largely only limited by how many pixels you have, so no more grinding out titanium or iron or what have you.

gently caress, I needed this!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I took a break for a while, but I started playing this again recently with a friend in tow, and we stumbled upon a couple cultists in a run-down castle looking thing. They were both facing this weird stone obelisk on a pedestal, and once we killed them, I moused over it and it glowed. I hit 'E' to interact and it had a little glowy animation and disappeared with no clear effect. Was it supposed to do anything or did I do something wrong?

Also, we found a monkey-person settlement, and right as we were about to quit for the night, these two beefy, armored spiky-headed dudes with giant gently caress-off battle axes slowly walked into one of the buildings and just went up to the roof and paced around a bit. The monkeys ignored them, monsters ignored them, and they ignored us. What the gently caress are they?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

The obelisks heal you. As for the spikyheaded dudes, did they look like this?

If so, they're Agarans. Kill them and you might get their helmet!

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Korgan posted:

The obelisks heal you.

Or blow you up, or poison you, or set you on fire, or make you run fast.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Lallander posted:

I've never seen a little skull obelisk do any of those. They always either instantly heal me a decent amount, or do nothing.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Lallander posted:

Cultist obelisks, not the big spinning things that should never be touched.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've never seen a little skull obelisk do any of those. They always either instantly heal me a decent amount, or do nothing.

I think they sell your digital character's soul, so there is that.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Korgan posted:

Oh, I thought they were all just different versions of the same basic object.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Korgan posted:

Yeah, that's the thing! I think I was full on health, they never touched me. I think the one that went for me was bugged because he never swung at me.

Korgan posted:

The obelisks heal you. As for the spikyheaded dudes, did they look like this?

If so, they're Agarans. Kill them and you might get their helmet!

No, that wasn't it.. Smaller spikes, purple/blue in color. I took a Steam screen shot that apparently didn't save to my account. :(

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

New Leaf posted:

No, that wasn't it.. Smaller spikes, purple/blue in color. I took a Steam screen shot that apparently didn't save to my account. :(

There's a couple of helmet styles for them, collect them all. I still like to think of them as death cultists for the florans.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lallander posted:

Oh, I thought they were all just different versions of the same basic object.

To be fair I've found two other objects that behave like the cultist one, the tall mirrors and the [uh poo poo I know there was something else].

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

boo_radley posted:

There's a couple of helmet styles for them, collect them all. I still like to think of them as death cultists for the florans.

Naa it definitely isn't them. I was able to get on my home PC with "LogMeIn" (slow day at the office) and find it. I was misremembering, they have fins on their heads, not spikes. Here they are!

There are two of them stacked up, picture makes it hard to tell. They just paced back and forth on the roof. Even when the monkey people were fighting off hostile flying critters, they just kept wandering. I was afraid to attack them because I'm just a tiny robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Naa it definitely isn't them. I was able to get on my home PC with "LogMeIn" (slow day at the office) and find it. I was misremembering, they have fins on their heads, not spikes. Here they are!

There are two of them stacked up, picture makes it hard to tell. They just paced back and forth on the roof. Even when the monkey people were fighting off hostile flying critters, they just kept wandering. I was afraid to attack them because I'm just a tiny robot.
Those appear to be randomly generated monsters.

• Locked thread