Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
gently caress you Steven I'm Minaj sexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh so many categories so people can be a special snowflake.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Piers Morgan remains utterly worthless.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Piers Morgan remains utterly worthless.

"Why won't anyone think of the abuse I've had to deal with!" :qq:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh so many categories so people can be a special snowflake.
I mean on one hand a lot of those categories are useful for people who are confused about their gender identity.

On the other hand so many more people are gonna change their Facebook genders for shits and giggles without having any idea what the thing they changed it to means.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

No matter what Stephen does here (and I think he's doing a good job of not stepping on toes), he's going to be unloaded upon by Tumblr SJWs. Apparently he and Jon are already personas non gratas in that community.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really dislike this gal's writings but yea I'll take her over Pierce.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Y-Hat posted:

No matter what Stephen does here (and I think he's doing a good job of not stepping on toes), he's going to be unloaded upon by Tumblr SJWs. Apparently he and Jon are already personas non gratas in that community.

I think he's being incredibly fair in this interview, but I'm sure he's used the word "tranny" before and this therefore dooms him to the poo poo list

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He'll get poo poo on because this lady is tumblr given life.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've never heard anyone use the word "problematic" in that sense out loud before.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

I've never heard anyone use the word "problematic" in real life before.

Or xim.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

I've never heard anyone use the word "problematic" in real life before.
I hate that word used in the SJW context because it's extremely vague and euphemistic.
As weird as that word sounds, I like it better as a gender-neutral pronoun than "they/them/their." The grammar cop in me shudders.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

She could have probably brushed on the difference between sex and gender instead of just going all tumblr-y there at the end.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He'll get poo poo on because this lady is tumblr given life.

What? I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JT Jag posted:

I mean on one hand a lot of those categories are useful for people who are confused about their gender identity.

On the other hand so many more people are gonna change their Facebook genders for shits and giggles without having any idea what the thing they changed it to means.

Maybe I am not fully aware of things, but my understanding is that not wanting to follow traditional gender roles doesn't need a special label because those are complete and utter bullshit. When its people legit not comfortable in their own body, that makes sense to have a category that is specific, but having so many, seems like they are trying to make one transgendered person is more special than another.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what is the difference anyway between transwoman, transgender woman, trans female, and trans * female?

(I seriously don't know this, not just snarking.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sair posted:

What? I'm not sure I get what you're saying here.

Her stuff is insufferable and says things like gendering babies is bad in any way and honestly has a poo poo grasp of actual gender science and sociology.

So she's kinda the perfect foil to Piers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I listened to a pretty neat NPR segment that talked about how individual people actually experience time differently, even at the extremely sub-light speeds that are normal on Earth. If two people syncronize their watches, one goes on a cross-continental flight, and then they re-check their watches, the guy who flew's watch will probably be slower, even if it's just by a matter of seconds.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

So what is the difference anyway between transwoman, transgender woman, trans female, and trans * female?

(I seriously don't know this, not just snarking.)

Some few people use one to mean a transitioning woman and one to mean a transitioned one, and the star folds in all the nonbinary variants.

But like, most, say transwomen, will just list female because that's what they are.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I loved the interview with Brian Greene, Colbert dropped most of his shtick (partly because there was no political spin behind it to be added to it) and you could tell he really got caught up in Greene's energy. Those are the best interviews, when Stephen doesn't have to carry the whole thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

JT Jag posted:

I listened to a pretty neat NPR segment that talked about how individual people actually experience time differently, even at the extremely sub-light speeds that are normal on Earth. If two people syncronize their watches, one goes on a cross-continental flight, and then they re-check their watches, the guy who flew's watch will probably be slower, even if it's just by a matter of seconds.

Relativity is a real problem for the super accurate clocks in GPS.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I really didn't expect someone to use a term like problematic in an actual, professional context.

And if deciding someone's gender for them is bad, why is deciding they don't have one yet okay?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 19, 2014

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

twistedmentat posted:

Man, as a white male, I'm glad we are losing power, because gently caress white men.

Seriously. Not just for the random loving murders of black people (THAT THEY DON'T GET loving CONVICTED OF-- GUILTY OF ATTEMPTED MURDER x4 BUT NOT OF THE ONE ACTUAL KILLING?! HOW THE gently caress DOES THAT MAKE *ANY* SENSE WHATSOEVER?!) but for the Republicans and every single thing they do. The Tennessee idiots at that factory weren't liberals turning down UAW representation narrowly (the vote was, like, 650-550, I think), but Republicans listening to a loving liar tell them exactly the opposite of what their company (which has a better history of human rights since the end of WWII than conservatives in America have) did? Of course. It makes perfect sense.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yeah my state kinda blows.

For the record, the murder charge in the Dunn trial was first degree murder, and it's possible the jury got hung up on whether the murder was premeditated or not, premeditation being a required component in a first degree murder conviction. If Dunn was charged with second degree or manslaughter they probably would have convicted him (hell, it follows that if he was convicted for attempted second degree murder of the guys that lived, he should at least be guilty of successful second degree murder of the guy that died).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

If it makes you feel better, he's still going to jail for the rest of his natural life. He's just not officially a murderer.

It makes me feel better every time I hear a story about SYG failing to save racists from jail. And then I remember that this is something that just keeps happening.

Also Jessica Williams is amazing.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I hadn't heard anything about this loving Dunn shitbag before today. loving retard couldn't even keep his basic facts straight: He said he had damage to his left ear, then immediately said that his right ear was hurting because of the angry black folk music.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
This Brian Greene is way cooler than the Brian Greene loving Megan Fox.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jerichojx posted:

This Brian Greene is way cooler than the Brian Greene loving Megan Fox.

If you want to see him be awesome watch Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zero One posted:

Relativity is a real problem for the super accurate clocks in GPS.

There's a story about how the engineers didn't believe the physicists about the changes in time, so at first they didn't bother correcting for the effects relativity. The GPS coordinates got wildly off in a matter of hours.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It makes me feel better every time I hear a story about SYG failing to save racists from jail. And then I remember that this is something that just keeps happening.

Also Jessica Williams is amazing.

The thing is, its a law that was created pretty much for terrified white guys with more guns than sense. Shooting someone should be a absolutely last thing you do, when there is no way out and its kill or be killed, and the law already allowed for that. SYG came in so angry scared racists could have some recourse when they see a scary looking black guy (read; all) coming down the street and they start firing.

bobkatt013 posted:

If you want to see him be awesome watch Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I kinda teared up when he was no longer in the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JT Jag posted:

Yeah my state kinda blows.

For the record, the murder charge in the Dunn trial was first degree murder, and it's possible the jury got hung up on whether the murder was premeditated or not, premeditation being a required component in a first degree murder conviction. If Dunn was charged with second degree or manslaughter they probably would have convicted him (hell, it follows that if he was convicted for attempted second degree murder of the guys that lived, he should at least be guilty of successful second degree murder of the guy that died).

And they should have charged him with Second Degree Murder. First Degree was going to be a hard sell in Jackshitville, FL when the case at hand involves an old white shithead murdering black kids listening to "urban" music and that should have been very apparent. I mean my gosh I bet they were even wearing hoodies!

How in the everloving poo poo it doesn't fall under the felony-murder rule now that he's been convicted of 3 felonies that resulted in a death is beyond me though. Or maybe that's how they're going to try him again, I haven't paid enough attention.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Her stuff is insufferable and says things like gendering babies is bad in any way and honestly has a poo poo grasp of actual gender science and sociology.

So she's kinda the perfect foil to Piers.

She's not angry enough for tumblr.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

IRQ posted:

And they should have charged him with Second Degree Murder. First Degree was going to be a hard sell in Jackshitville, FL when the case at hand involves an old white shithead murdering black kids listening to "urban" music and that should have been very apparent. I mean my gosh I bet they were even wearing hoodies!

How in the everloving poo poo it doesn't fall under the felony-murder rule now that he's been convicted of 3 felonies that resulted in a death is beyond me though. Or maybe that's how they're going to try him again, I haven't paid enough attention.
He'll get re-tried and he'll probably be proven guilty.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

comes along bort posted:

She's not angry enough for tumblr.

True and, in all fairness, she did write a real book and gives real talks and all, so like, at least she's DOING things, which puts her above most all of tumblr.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Didn't he already kill an American with a drone strike?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Y-Hat posted:

Didn't he already kill an American with a drone strike?

Like, years ago?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
But deciding if a guy is an enemy combatant is due process? Comparing it to torture in gitmo is a bit of a farce.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Like, years ago?
Not that long ago. IIRC it was some guy in Yemen who's originally from New Mexico.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
I'm not sure "imminent" means what you think it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jon is being cartoon levels of dense here.

• Locked thread