Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

LOL at one of the powerups being a bottle of pills in a game where you play as a baby.

I believe that's milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looks like I misspoke, that's from another seller.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

midge posted:

I believe that's milk.

Well that makes a lot more sense

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Hell yeah! I've got one of those shelves too and it works really well for Sega CD cases. The thing is lighter than air, fairly strong/durable for what it is, and I think it cost me all of $15 way back when.

Good to hear because once I get my hands on a Sega CD and 32x my latest garage sale haul is going on the shelf.

Having never played any of these(except Sonic CD), are there any stand-outs?

Yep. I bought an entire tote of games for systems I don't have. Am I doing the :retrogames: right?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RodShaft posted:

Good to hear because once I get my hands on a Sega CD and 32x my latest garage sale haul is going on the shelf.

Yep. I bought an entire tote of games for systems I don't have. Am I doing the :retrogames: right?

Rise of the Dragon
The superior version of Mickey Mania
Vay
Dark Wizard
Adventures of Batman and Robin

Those would be on my list of standouts for the Sega CD.

Edit: Oh hey, you have Batman on the left, that's also a great one.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 19, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RodShaft posted:

Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing for the 32x are awesome. Metalhead is decent. Never played the others. If you are going to get into 32x, Knuckles Chaotix is worth the pick up. Its a polarizing game, but I liked it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Get yourself a Genesis and play Shadowrun right the gently caress now.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

iastudent posted:

I've never been able to slog my way through the first fifteen minutes, but yet have gone the distance with the Super Nintendo version. Advice?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

RodShaft posted:

Nice loving haul. I think the right thing to do is sell it to a Sega collector in Toronto at cost...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I've never been able to slog my way through the first fifteen minutes, but yet have gone the distance with the Super Nintendo version. Advice?

I've never understood the appeal either. It's a loving grind.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Man I'd like to meet the guy who engineered the fatty NDS and kiss him. The thing has SUCH INCREDIBLE battery life it's unbelievable. I left my charger at a hotel months ago, and I play the thing all the time. I ordered a couple replacements from China and they just now came today, but my NDS has been rock solid the entire time.

RodShaft posted:

Dude that's a SOLID lot and a drat nice garage sale find. I could go on and on about so many of them too. Batman & Robin for the Sega CD is one I don't hear about hardly ever and it's drat fun and has some of the best FMV on the system (Clayface!) The Spiderman Kingpin game kicks rear end too. I actually just bought Fahrenheit myself on ebay for $5 after years of never being able to find it and you get it along with a million other great games, so jealous. You mentioned you don't have any of the systems. Does that mean you don't have a Sega CD or 32x, or you don't have a Genesis even?

The reason why I'm asking is I was wondering if you'd be interested in a trade of sorts. I've got an extra model 2 Genesis I'd be more than happy to send your way along with a few controllers (I've got a shitload of controllers and would be using a flatrate box so could throw in other random goodies too) for a few of those games. Here's some of what I'd be interested in and why (not saying I'm getting them all obviously) and don't worry I'm not cherry picking the expensive games like a dick or anything:

- Star Trek Starfleet Academy 32x -- I LOVE this game on the SNES and haven't been able to find it in the wild and I really really want it
- BC Racers 32x -- This game looks like it has potential but could be lovely. Regardless I'd love to be one 32x game closer to a complete set
- Batman & Robin Sega CD -- I've got this game but it's disc only. I don't expect you to part with this awesome game but hey a guy can ask

If you're interested in a trade but want something besides a Genesis I've got shittons of stuff I can offer up too. Sure I could buy those games on ebay but I'd much rather hook a goon up with a system/controllers/random poo poo than paypal some random guy.

(By the way the Golf game for the 32x is arguably the cheapest 32x game there is but in my opinion it's still fun to play. At one time I had 6 copies. Sorry for my rambling and parenthesis everywhere)

-- Also 32x wise you need to pick up Mortal Kombat 2 and NBA Jam. Both can be had for pennies and both are awesome.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 20, 2014

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I love the Spider-Man and Batman and Robin games that are in that lot there. Which Working Designs game is that, Vay? I only have the first Lunar, so I don't know what the spine looks like on the other three.

Also, having a 32X without Kolibri is meaningless! Every collection needs a killer hummingbird shooter!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I thought I'd be the only one interested in the Chinese bootleg GBA games, but if there's enough interest for a group buy I'd be happy to get the ball rolling! I'll buy if I can get at least 6 people. I figure I can hawk the other four on Craigslist if I have to.

Mother 3 would be $11.50 and the FF collection would be about $18, neither including shipping. This one's a minimum order, so sign up even if there are more than 10 listed!

Mother 3: (Cart looks like this, not like the hilariously bad photo on the site)
1: bbcisdabomb
2: Tyson Tomoko
3: Heran Bago
4: Agrias 120
5: Agrias 120
6: Lepecard
7: Bing the Noize
8: RodShaft
9: Heran Bago
10: A Non-Goon
11: Midnight Raider
12: JesustheDarkLord
13: ageo24
14:

Final Fantasy GBA Collection: (Dawn of Souls, IV, V, VI, Tactics Advance)
1: bbcisdabomb
2: univbee
3: Heran Bago
4: Heran Bago
5: ageo24
6: Midnight Raider
7:
8:
9:
10:

Anyone else interested? Shoot me a PM or post here and I'll add you to the list.

e. Two orders for Mother 3 from Agrias120. Just need one more for that one!
ee. Looks like I'm making an order tonight.
eee. Welp, looks like there are people for the FF buy as well. :retrogaming:

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 26, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Ambitious Spider posted:

You're making me really sad I passed on a copy for a dollar at my local thrift store a while back.

Biggest mistake you've ever made. You really can't argue otherwise. I'd rather have aborted one of my children.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

Biggest mistake you've ever made. You really can't argue otherwise. I'd rather have aborted one of my children.

I don't think there's a big enough :goonsay: for this poo poo, but goddamn man. Hyperbole like a motherfucker.

Edit: Also, yes I recognize you were making jokes, but holy poo poo that comes across really strong in text.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 20, 2014

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

RodShaft posted:

Gotta say that is an awesome lot. Crueball is the only pinball game based on Motley Crue :black101:. The Spiderman game for the Sega CD is kick rear end and you can collect different covers of the comics to view in a gallery which I found to be fun. Also no mention of Eternal Champions, which in my opinion, is not as good as mortal kombat, but is still a decent fighter. Plus it has full motion video fatalities!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9BVTzwkHss-Eternal Champions Cinekill compliation for full on lovely FMV fatalities!

midwest ink fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 20, 2014

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

midwest ink posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9BVTzwkHss-Eternal Champions Cinekill compliation for full on lovely FMV fatalities!

I watched that entire Cinekill compilation, and feel it is my duty to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gk8c--Kc8

Weaponlord forever, y'all. Genesis. Super Nintendo. It don't matta. poo poo owns, and is the most :black101: thing.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
This is how you know you have hit the edge of :retrogames:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

luigionlsd posted:

This is the edge of :retrogames:? Come back when you get your Ikaruga Naomi setup running :colbert:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
What's on the screen?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

iastudent posted:

I actually have a model 1, 2, and Nomad.(plus half a dozen @tgames knockoffs). I meant I haven't played any of the 32x/Sega CD games.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Which Working Designs game is that, Vay?
It is indeed.

Tyson Tomko posted:

If you're interested in a trade but want something besides a Genesis I've got shittons of stuff I can offer up too. Sure I could buy those games on ebay but I'd much rather hook a goon up with a system/controllers/random poo poo than paypal some random guy.
Like I said I'm set on Genesi, but I do need to go through and make a list of my duplicate games/systems to sell/trade to fund my habit, and all the systems I still NEED. My wife won't let me spend any more money on retro games unless it's money made from selling the stuff I have. Which means I'm probably going to part with this guy.

Thanks for all the reviews. I love that half the posts are suggestions of games I should pick up for a systems I don't own yet. This thread is like the opposite of a 12 step program.

32x prices are all over the place on eBay, is my best bet to pick up a cheap one without cables and source them elsewhere? Also does the 32x play better in any of the the different Genesis revisions? I have the "high definition"model 1 and a big board model 2.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 20, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xik posted:

What's on the screen?

Ikaruga, hence Bing the Noize's comment.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I keep a monitor permanently vertical just to play pinball.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

luigionlsd posted:

Welp, now that somebody else has brought it up I'm gonna cross post this from the PC gaming thread.

Has anyone ever fussed with getting a PS3 arcade stick working with PC games?

It's USB so I can get Windows to see it as a game controller but Steam games just ignores it. I've also used x360ce to try and "trick" the game into thinking the arcade stick is really a 360 controller but so far I can't seem to get it to run properly. The only other options seem to be super shady Chinese drivers. Anything else I should look into?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It costs money but Xpadder might give you better results.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

luigionlsd posted:

I don't understand the love this game gets, there are so, so many shmups that are so drat much better. It isn't even very good for a bullet hell shooter, and bullet hell shooters are bottom of the barrel in the shmup pantheon as it is.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 20, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
You probably want this, I have not used it myself but it looks better than MotionInJoy which has the worst design on earth, and the only thing I have used for PS3 controllers

http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bing the Noize posted:

You probably want this, I have not used it myself but it looks better than MotionInJoy which has the worst design on earth, and the only thing I have used for PS3 controllers

http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

MotionInJoy made both my wireless and wired mice stop working, and even after I uninstalled it they would not work. I had to manually fix the loving registry to make them work again.

It cannot be stressed enough: Never, ever, ever EVER use MotionInJoy, it is the worst product I have ever installed on a computer.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Cannot Find Server posted:

I don't understand the love this game gets, there are so, so many shmups that are so drat much better. It isn't even very good for a bullet hell shooter, and bullet hell shooters are bottom of the barrel in the shmup pantheon as it is.

I think Ikaruga falls into the same sort of category as Bangai-O, where something has to snap and make you get it, whereas you might just see it as a generic bullet hell shooter. For me, I liked the patterned aspect to attacks, and the light/dark mechanic was cool.

But I feel like my own personal love for shooters is pretty much in the deep classics, with Gyruss (Arcade) being my go-to and Gun.Smoke (NES foremost, Arcade secondary) beind my fallback. I love the patterns. I love special characters that do different poo poo. I don't so much care for the Cat's Cradle of navigating bullet showers or insta-death beams.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bullet hell shooters are bottom of the barrel in the shmup pantheon as it is.

What?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ignore me, I'm old and jaded and just want Irem to make new R-Type games :smith:

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know

I wanna say Ikaruga was the first console shmup I ever bought (yes, late to the party), so it kind of stuck with me. We did have Tyrian and Raptor: Call of the Shadows for DOS though.

I did rent/play some of the SNES ones as a youngster, but never bought any till my later years.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ikaruga rules, but it is kinda more like a rhythm game or something.

Whats the deal with no Bubble Bobble port on Android? :mad:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

univbee posted:

It costs money but Xpadder might give you better results.

Oh hey! This worked much better! It's still kind of a weird program with bad documentation but once it clicked it worked fine. :10bux: well spent! Maybe Ikaruga will do well enough to bring Radiant Silvergun along.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

McCracAttack posted:

Welp, now that somebody else has brought it up I'm gonna cross post this from the PC gaming thread.

It's USB so I can get Windows to see it as a game controller but Steam games just ignores it. I've also used x360ce to try and "trick" the game into thinking the arcade stick is really a 360 controller but so far I can't seem to get it to run properly. The only other options seem to be super shady Chinese drivers. Anything else I should look into?
Joy2Key lets you turn game controller inputs into mouse/keyboard, allowing you to control just about anything as long as the computer can see your controller.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

[Kind of a cross post from PYF Recent Purchase; I just stumbled on this thread today. drat that's an OP :stare: ]

Few months ago, I opened up a permanent shop inside my local flea market to sell off my Collection of Stuff. Thing is, I'm surrounded by other people selling their Collections of Stuff, and so I find myself buying things like 1980 Moon Cresta cocktail arcades:

less crappy picture, not mine:

Info:
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8745

The coin mechanism needs work so I've got the dips set to free play, come on over :haw:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Doesn't it make you feel like a wizard when after opening up a non-working controller, doing basically nothing but looking at the insides and scratching your head and then reassembling it, the stupid thing just starts working again?

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

Any 3rd party controller for PS3 I've encountered uses DirectInput, so fortunately you don't need to fuss with the MotionInJoy nonsense at all.

And it seems you got the XInput translation layer figured out already.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

midwest ink posted:

gently caress yeah! Also:

drat the Weaponlord one was awesome too, what a great night on youtube.

luigionlsd posted:

I wanna say Ikaruga was the first console shmup I ever bought (yes, late to the party), so it kind of stuck with me. We did have Tyrian and Raptor: Call of the Shadows for DOS though.

I did rent/play some of the SNES ones as a youngster, but never bought any till my later years.

Gradius and Tyrian were the first shoot'em ups I ever played. Tyrian is nostalgic as all hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ignore me, I'm old and jaded and just want Irem to make new R-Type games :smith:

Well, putting aside the fact that there's no money in STGs no matter the genre, everyone who made R-Type good left Irem a long time ago. I'm sure Granzella or any other developer could license the IP if they really wanted to, but again, it'd be a total money pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

McCracAttack posted:

I've never tried it with an arcade stick, but SCP DS3 works great for my Dualshock 3. It's much easier to use than MotionInJoy. Once it's installed, it's just plug and play.

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/SCP_Driver_Package

• Locked thread