Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadioDog
May 31, 2005
I don't see anything about boss toughness ... but maybe I missed it? I could beat the hard bosses when it released, but it took forever (I actually gave up beating one of them because I was whittling him down soooo slowly I could tell it was going to take me over an hour to kill it). Basically it felt like these bosses were within my beatable level range, but just took too long to kill them. Was I alone with this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

meatsaw posted:

I don't see anything about boss toughness ... but maybe I missed it? I could beat the hard bosses when it released, but it took forever (I actually gave up beating one of them because I was whittling him down soooo slowly I could tell it was going to take me over an hour to kill it). Basically it felt like these bosses were within my beatable level range, but just took too long to kill them. Was I alone with this issue?

Were you playing solo?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yes soloing bosses is very slow and unfun a lot of the time. Combat isn't really balanced around it so much at the moment.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Yes soloing bosses is very slow and unfun a lot of the time. Combat isn't really balanced around it so much at the moment.

Warrior soloing is pretty fun though.

Matoi Ryuko fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 20, 2014

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Warrior soloing is pretty fun though.

Did warrior DPS or survivability get pumped up any? I played quite a while ago and soloing as a warrior got kinda hard (as opposed to say the water mage that just kinda plowed through anything).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this game still dead?

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is this game still dead?

Cube World Launcher posted:

Welcome to the Cube World Alpha!

July 23, 2013

Looks like that :/
Somehow I feel scammed :D

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
For all intents and purposes we kind of have been scammed. Like pre-orders, you shouldn't trust early access games. :shrug:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

nutranurse posted:

For all intents and purposes we kind of have been scammed. Like pre-orders, you shouldn't trust early access games. :shrug:

Early access games are an investment, like any investment they carry an element of risk.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

nutranurse posted:

What's the rate of failure for early access games? I wasn't aware that early access games just vanishing and never being completed was a thing. Every single early access game I've gotten seems to be on the up and up. Towns is the only other one I can think off that fell off the face of the Earth, but I also haven't paid any mind to it so I don't know if it is still updating or if it is considered "done". Same with Gnomoria I suppose.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ToastyPotato posted:

What's the rate of failure for early access games? I wasn't aware that early access games just vanishing and never being completed was a thing. Every single early access game I've gotten seems to be on the up and up. Towns is the only other one I can think off that fell off the face of the Earth, but I also haven't paid any mind to it so I don't know if it is still updating or if it is considered "done". Same with Gnomoria I suppose.

More fail than succeed. If all the early access games you've gotten paid through then you either picked your devs very very carefully, got extremely lucky or didn't buy many early access games.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

It's been 21 days since wollay's last tweet, is it time to meltdown yet?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's been 21 days since wollay's last tweet, is it time to meltdown yet?

It's never too early to melt down about an early access game that the dev only made available under massive fan pressure and with the explicit disclaimer that he would continue to develop at his notoriously glacial place. Outrage cannons primed and ready, cap'n!

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
The very fact that this thread had over a month of inactivity before someone finally piped up with the fact that maybe nothing is happening with this game may be a bit of an indicator that the time for meltdown passed ages ago and we have reached that stage of grief where we are just accepting that it is a lost cause and we should just move on.

Or something. I don't care, I haven't even played this game since last September!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

It's never too early to melt down about an early access game that the dev only made available under massive fan pressure and with the explicit disclaimer that he would continue to develop at his notoriously glacial place. Outrage cannons primed and ready, cap'n!

FIRE AT WILL!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

MyFaceBeHi posted:

The very fact that this thread had over a month of inactivity before someone finally piped up with the fact that maybe nothing is happening with this game may be a bit of an indicator that the time for meltdown passed ages ago and we have reached that stage of grief where we are just accepting that it is a lost cause and we should just move on.

Or something. I don't care, I haven't even played this game since last September!

Heavy Lobster really put it succinctly.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Minecraft, Mount & Blade, and ARMA 3 are the only early access games that I've felt happy to have purchased, both at the time of purchase and in hindsight considering the current/finished product. Not sure if ARMA 3 even counts as the developer had a decent track record. Mount & Blade and Minecraft at least had playable demos.

My friends and I now have a collective moratorium on buying early access games. I was suckered into Rust recently, though. That was the last straw. Early Access is a bad trend and is being abused.

I'm declaring it: RIP CubeWorld. You were OK for $20

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 20, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen, behold the reason why this thread's rating is veering sharply into brown town.

I don't know this Wollay person and seeing him unfairly impugned only causes me a faint, mild sense of irritation, but god drat if it isn't exasperating to see endless streams of outrage, bold declarations, and general shitposting by people who can't be bothered to read.

What I'm trying to say is, if you came here to post 'RIP Cube World', then please do us all a favor: shut the gently caress up, go read Heavy Lobster's post, and just think about it for a while until you get it.

Anyway, relevant content: Wollay posts updates about the game on his twitter. There was a steady stream of small posts about what's in the next update around the end of 2013 and into January of this year, with the latest one dating from Jan. 20th. You can read all about it on the previous page of this thread- highlights include smaller biomes, a flatter leveling curve, enemies being labeled with their numeric level, areas having their own static enemy level rather than scaling to yours, a new dynamic quest system with a lot more things to do, and so on. Basically, he's addressing all of my biggest complaints about the game, so I'm pretty excited for the next update.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cathair posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, behold the reason why this thread's rating is veering sharply into brown town.

I don't know this Wollay person and seeing him unfairly impugned only causes me a faint, mild sense of irritation, but god drat if it isn't exasperating to see endless streams of outrage, bold declarations, and general shitposting by people who can't be bothered to read.

What I'm trying to say is, if you came here to post 'RIP Cube World', then please do us all a favor: shut the gently caress up, go read Heavy Lobster's post, and just think about it for a while until you get it.

Anyway, relevant content: Wollay posts updates about the game on his twitter. There was a steady stream of small posts about what's in the next update around the end of 2013 and into January of this year, with the latest one dating from Jan. 20th. You can read all about it on the previous page of this thread- highlights include smaller biomes, a flatter leveling curve, enemies being labeled with their numeric level, areas having their own static enemy level rather than scaling to yours, a new dynamic quest system with a lot more things to do, and so on. Basically, he's addressing all of my biggest complaints about the game, so I'm pretty excited for the next update.
I'll believe ya when me poo poo turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

The truth is he has never delivered on his grand promises, he can tweet all he wants, but until he pushes something live it's all vapor ware.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Also, no matter how explicit a creator might be about their shortcomings, that doesn't absolve them from criticism and disappointment when they take money in exchange for a product.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It does, however, make you an idiot if you're caught by surprise by said shortcomings. You've been told up front what to expect, so expecting anything else is...

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Wollay is clearly pretty inexperienced on how to handle game development. I still think cubeworld was alright for the 20 dollars, however. I can't complain too loudly.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
It could be worse. It could be Darkout.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I'm gonna post RIP Cube World not because I honestly care about this game anymore but I find people who bitch about bitching more annoying so I'll bitch about bitching about bitching.

RIP Cube World. Not the wisest $20 dollars I spent but eh, I've done worse.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah RIP

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
RIP Cubeworld

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Neruz posted:

More fail than succeed. If all the early access games you've gotten paid through then you either picked your devs very very carefully, got extremely lucky or didn't buy many early access games.

Mount and Blade, Minecraft, Towns, Gnomoria, Prison Architect, Starbound, Cube World, Next Car Game, BeamNG Drive, and I can't remember if Terraria was initially early access or not, or if it was just a cheap game. I never got around to getting Kerbal Space Program either, though I played it when it was free.

I mean, I'm sure there are others that have failed miserably, but I sure as hell haven't heard of them and haven't seen anyone ever bring them up as goto examples of why Early Access is a bad thing. It sounds to me like people are stupid and giving their money to any random person who says "I have some ideas give me some money!" That isn't Early Access being bad, that is consumers being stupid. Don't give your money to something that doesn't have anything substantial to show for it. Cube World was the first time I went in and bought Early Access on video trailers alone and I probably got burned. Lesson learned! Every other Early Access game I've bought has either had a demo, or extensive videos of gameplay or something along those lines. And even then, there were Youtubers playing Cube World, and the initial release is playable. Most people had no reason to suspect the project would never be updated again.

Of all the high profile Early Access games I have ever heard of, Cube World is the first time I can think of that this has happened.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 20, 2014

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Did they ever promise rapid updates or something? I remember him saying basically that they were putting out a playable version because people were begging for it then they were going to go back to their usual development, which is glacial.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Just say RIP Cube World and move on, man.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Yeah, rip

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Did they ever promise rapid updates or something? I remember him saying basically that they were putting out a playable version because people were begging for it then they were going to go back to their usual development, which is glacial.

I've seen a lot of people claim that he's said development would be slow, or infer that everyone should have guessed that development would be slower than usual from his prior tweets or something, even though this is his first game, but I have never seen any official statements linked that specifically state that updates would be rare.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

I've seen a lot of people claim that he's said development would be slow, or infer that everyone should have guessed that development would be slower than usual from his prior tweets or something, even though this is his first game, but I have never seen any official statements linked that specifically state that updates would be rare.

I know, right? What clearer sign could there be that he's taken our money and run to Switzerland?

RIP Cube World 2013-2013

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Okay, RIP then.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Cathair posted:

Yes, about a weekend's worth of programming for the kids college tuitions he's banked.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
The game is DOA. At the pace he is going the date for a completed game would be twenty years from now. He's moving at 10xDice rate. Chances are he got bored with it, cashed out, got uneasy with the uproar and made a half assed attempt to get back into it. Now that the uproar is over he'll probably just let it die.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
R.I.P. Cube World
you were fun for maybe 20 hours

R.I.P. Cube World Thread
you were poo poo for 55 pages

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

amusinginquiry posted:

R.I.P. Cube World Thread
you were poo poo for 55 pages

I didn't even buy the game. Was keeping an eye on the thread to see how the game was going. Just pops up on my feed everytime goons start complaining.

I am the biggest loser in all of this.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
R.I.P. Cube World, you weren't particularly good.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
RIP Cubeworld, please sell your assets to the guys making Starbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

ToastyPotato posted:

Mount and Blade, Minecraft, Towns, Gnomoria, Prison Architect, Starbound, Cube World, Next Car Game, BeamNG Drive, and I can't remember if Terraria was initially early access or not, or if it was just a cheap game. I never got around to getting Kerbal Space Program either, though I played it when it was free.

Towns actually was released before the Early Access thing came out... :ssh:

• Locked thread