Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Suxpool posted:

This is my favorite Malazan review of all time. It sums up my feelings on the books perfectly. Or at least it would if I had the slightest idea what was going on in any of these books.

As much as I still have no idea what exactly is happening in no way dampened the sheer awesomeness of this series. The deeper it goes the better it gets. Even if I am confused about how it all works or how it will all turn out I love every second of it. Even the Esslemont books are still entertaining enough for me to get through them and enjoy the World and its characters.
I want more, I need more, it's like peeling an onion and as much as I may cry I need to see it through to the end and know all of its tasty secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Just moving on to Reaper's Gale and I am simply in love with this series. I was initially upset when in Midnight tides, the story moved away from all the characters I've grown to love but now i just have more characters to love! This really is in the running for the top series I've ever read.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The beginning of Reapers Gale is kind of annoying because it goes back to characters you haven't really heard from for a few books and a lot of the beginning is a bunch of Eriksson philosophizing and setting up new threads and it drags on. The ending is awesome as I recall

e: As for what's happening in the series, you can really boil it all down to "it's Kallor's fault" and leave it at that

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
So, I'm taking my sweet time getting through Dust of Dreams apparently, and I want to make sure my timeline is all correct.

As i'm nearing the end, everyone is all of a sudden reeling over the events at the end of TtH such as Hood's death, Rake's death, and Draconus being freed. Has the beginning of this book all been poo poo prior to the end of TtH? Everything is blending together...I swear I'll never understand any of this poo poo that's going on. But I still loving love it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty much, there's been a few books that overlap other ones.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yarrbossa posted:

So, I'm taking my sweet time getting through Dust of Dreams apparently, and I want to make sure my timeline is all correct.

As i'm nearing the end, everyone is all of a sudden reeling over the events at the end of TtH such as Hood's death, Rake's death, and Draconus being freed. Has the beginning of this book all been poo poo prior to the end of TtH? Everything is blending together...I swear I'll never understand any of this poo poo that's going on. But I still loving love it.

Dust of Dreams and Toll the Hounds happen simultaneously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen#Chronology

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Levitate posted:

The beginning of Reapers Gale is kind of annoying because it goes back to characters you haven't really heard from for a few books and a lot of the beginning is a bunch of Eriksson philosophizing and setting up new threads and it drags on. The ending is awesome as I recall

e: As for what's happening in the series, you can really boil it all down to "it's Kallor's fault" and leave it at that

I've got to say that this is one series where I don't hate the story arc swapping between books, all of the characters are so engaging that while it can often take me a little time to get up to speed, I end up just fine with the swaps.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

TheLordOfKraa posted:

I've got to say that this is one series where I don't hate the story arc swapping between books, all of the characters are so engaging that while it can often take me a little time to get up to speed, I end up just fine with the swaps.

Pretty much. I was also initially put off by the change in Midnight Tides when I first read it, but not only do you quickly realize that the new characters are just as compelling in their own way, but also these awesome new characters will inevitably at some point meet the other awesome characters we already know, and magic will happen.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I also meant to say Toll the Hounds is kind of slow to start and all that, not Reapers Gale

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Habibi posted:

Pretty much. I was also initially put off by the change in Midnight Tides when I first read it, but not only do you quickly realize that the new characters are just as compelling in their own way, but also these awesome new characters will inevitably at some point meet the other awesome characters we already know, and magic will happen.

Any book with Tehol, Brys, and Bugg, is the best book.

I also thought Toll the Hounds was pretty slow to start. With the switch in narrative style, it was a bit jarring at first. Even now, multiple rereads later, I still don't really like it all that much. That aside, once it gets going, it's pretty excellent.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah 20+% of the way through the book (Toll the Hounds) according to my Kindle and goddamn it's still dragging. I think he just has soooo much goddamn setup for the end of the book that he didn't have the ability to lay out in previous books that he has to spend a ton of time setting it up

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Finished gom for the first time. It was pretty good. Though I'm 20% through DHG and didn't notice a jump in writing quality (not that it needed one).

re book 1 hairlock: What the hell was the point of resurrecting him? He did nothing useful for the bridgeburners before Ben got him killed.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Finished gom for the first time. It was pretty good. Though I'm 20% through DHG and didn't notice a jump in writing quality (not that it needed one).

re book 1 hairlock: What the hell was the point of resurrecting him? He did nothing useful for the bridgeburners before Ben got him killed.

I just finished rereading Gardens of the Moon, and from what I remember Hairlock knew he was going to be betrayed by Tayschrenn, so he made a deal with Quick Ben to soul-shift himself into a puppet. In exchange, Hairlock was supposed to find out exactly who it was that wanted the Bridgeburners dead by using the Warrens of Chaos to travel outside of the influence of the Malazan Empire.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I like how Erickson puts more humor into the series as it goes on.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Rereading House of Chains again and first, I forgot how unlikable Karsa is at the beginning. He's one of my favorite characters in the series, but man does he have growing he has to do. Also, I forgot about the part where he beats up a shark in the water. This series!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

amuayse posted:

I like how Erickson puts more humor into the series as it goes on.

Erikson has an amusing sense of humor.

The best joke payoff in the series comes in TCG though, when after talking about how she crushed Bottle's spirit by killing Joyful Union as a means of commanding respect, when the last battle starts we finally get a little POV for Faradan Sort and we find out she is just super freaked out by scorpions and basically just rolled with something she likely did out of reflex. Killed me when I read it.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
The best joke for me was: 'What if I told you I was pregnant?' 'I'd kill the mule.'

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

What the hell is up with Pust's mules anyways

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

rizzen posted:

Any book with Iskaral Pust or Tehol, Brys, and Bugg or Korbal Broach and Bauchelain, is the best book.

FTFY

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

What the hell is up with Pust's mules anyways

He is at one point or another almost certainly Shadowthrone

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Habibi posted:

He is at one point or another almost certainly Shadowthrone

Have a link to where that might be?

I know in Deadhouse Gates that initially it appears to be Apsalar's father, but that obviously doesn't stay that way for long.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Levitate posted:

I dont think it's ever explicity stated.

But Kruppe rides a mule too. Kruppe and Pust both with mules and both being central to Shadowthrones plan. They get about a hundred references to the mules when no other beast of burden gets mentioned. Also: The mule sets up camp one day for Pust.

I am bad at explaining. Pretend I didnt write anything and wait for someone else to post why.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

I dont think it's ever explicity stated.

But Kruppe rides a mule too. Kruppe and Pust both with mules and both being central to Shadowthrones plan. They get about a hundred references to the mules when no other beast of burden gets mentioned. Also: The mule sets up camp one day for Pust.

I am bad at explaining. Pretend I didnt write anything and wait for someone else to post why.

Not to mention (Toll the Hounds) the epic duel between Pust and Kruppe as their mules watch. It's a thing of beauty.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

I know in Deadhouse Gates that initially it appears to be Apsalar's father, but that obviously doesn't stay that way for long.

Nah, as Smurf noted it's never made explicit. But there're a few scenes where it appears as though ST is working through the mule, either to use its eyes or to manifest power. The one I immediately recall and can reference is from Bonehunters, The rain of fire had descended in a torrent all round them, wild as a hailstorm and far deadlier; yet not one particle had struck their ship – protection gifted, Mappo realized, not by Spite, nor indeed by Iskaral Pust or Mogora. No, as the High Priest’s fawning, wet kisses gave proof, some power born in that damned black-eyed mule was responsible. Somehow.

At least, I don't recall that ever being otherwise explained, and Mappo is documented to be fairly sensitive to magic.

I don't recall anything particularly special about Kruppe's mule, except perhaps from Kruppe's own perspective, making those observations hyperbolic and unreliable.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sometimes I think the OP should be updated to say "Go read the first 10 books, and then read this thread. No, seriously. I'm still on Reaper's Gale, and may do just that when I get through The Chained God.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I always thought the mule was just an unexplained really powerful god/ascendant who liked to hang out as a mule. I like the idea there was some unknown incredibly powerful force disguised as a crazy man's mule.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
i figured shadowthrone was mostly the mule, which is why he was barely anywhere else once iggy pust started doing things

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sub press House of Chains went up. New artist too.

Someone + Deragoth?

??

Some Andii??

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I see this kind of stuff and really wish ebooks came with art. Even maps are hard to read.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

First pic has to be Karsa. The second one is either Tavore or Felisin.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

First pic has to be Karsa. The second one is either Tavore or Felisin.

That is not how I picture Karsa in my mind at all.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah in my mind Karsa looks unnaturally big and super bulky not just some generic muscly dude.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yeah if that's Karsa it's about as good and accurate a rendering as that one of Tattersail from a few pages back. Could the second one be Lostara Yil?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Well, Lostara Yil is from seven cities (i.e. is black). Tavore is described as not very attractive, and probably wouldn't be rockin the sheer see-thru shirt. Felisin was supposed to be on the thicker side and hideously scared by faceworm larvae. so I guess none of them truly match.

On second examination, I think it is supposed to be Felisin because of the sandstorm/wirlwind blowing through the scene. I guess the artist made Karsa a lanky motherfucker because he is supposed to be like nine feet tall. :shrug:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Well, Lostara Yil is from seven cities (i.e. is black). Tavore is described as not very attractive, and probably wouldn't be rockin the sheer see-thru shirt. Felisin was supposed to be on the thicker side and hideously scared by faceworm larvae. so I guess none of them truly match.

On second examination, I think it is supposed to be Felisin because of the sandstorm/wirlwind blowing through the scene. I guess the artist made Karsa a lanky motherfucker because he is supposed to be like nine feet tall. :shrug:

Lostara is supposed to have dark skin and prominent tattoos, but Tattersail is supposed to be a Pretty and Plump spokesperson and Karsa is described as being wide almost as often as he is described as being tall, so who the hell knows.

The Andii is the most confusing. The only one I can think of who has a sword that might be interpreted as glowing is Anomander, but....er...

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Whoever drew all of these new cover images has not read a single page of the books, or even been given a decent description of what the hell they're meant to portray.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

At least this new cover art isn't as bad as the original cover art for Wheel of Time books.
Those covers were abominations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Has anyone bought this, and if so, does it have all the horrible OCR errors that many of the early books in the series suffered in ebook form or did they fix that? (poor Toc the Younger often being Toe the Younger, and so on)?

Personally, I'd prefer for them to update the books I already paid for to not be mangled, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Habibi posted:

The Andii is the most confusing. The only one I can think of who has a sword that might be interpreted as glowing is Anomander, but....er...

I saw that and instantly thought it was Andarist. He died defending the throne of shadow against the Titse Edur on Drift Avalii. Seems like he might've been blasted by some chaotic magic at some point. He was also wielding Vengeance during that fight, so that explains the sword. All of which takes place in HoC. Yeah, it totally has to be Andarist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

tuluk posted:

At least this new cover art isn't as bad as the original cover art for Wheel of Time books.
Those covers were abominations.

What are you talking about Darryl Sweet was amazing. Having a hulking, hairy blacksmith depicted as a pint-sized leprechaun was one of the great accomplishments of twentieth century cover art.