Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kedo
Nov 27, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Immigrating to NZ isn't that hard, it works off a point system, and if you have a few years experience in IT and an job offer you're more or less guaranteed to get in as long as you don't have a criminal record.

Interesting, I was led to believe it was really difficult! Good advice on interviewing while on holiday, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

kedo posted:

Interesting, I was led to believe it was really difficult! Good advice on interviewing while on holiday, however.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz

Has all the info you need. Don't be sick, don't have a record, and be qualified to work in an in-demand field (which currently includes just about everything IT related) and it's not going to be too much of a drama.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Would a 20 year old pot smoking conviction count as a "criminal record"?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

duck monster posted:

Would a 20 year old pot smoking conviction count as a "criminal record"?

:shrug: I'm just an IT guy, read the website

naughty joystick
Jun 6, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON (will relocate, preferably outside of Canada)

Languages: Ruby, PHP, JavaScript, SQL, Python, HTML/CSS/Sass; some C/Java

Frameworks: Rails, CodeIgniter, jQuery

Experience: Graduating in June ; 4 month internship at a Rails startup and 9 months with PHP at a University.

Things you like to do: web/mobile but will work on anything

Availability: Fulltime, can start ASAP + relocation time upon offer

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
not looking anymore!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 11, 2014

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Looking for something pretty specific, so doing this in reverse. Will look through the thread but thought this might be quicker.

Requirement: Contract work on a medium scale SPA. Looking for help both developing and maintaining.
Location: We're based in the UK, but you can be based anywhere. Opportunity for full-time role if you're UK based.
Languages: Javascript, HTML5/CSS3.
Frameworks: BackboneJS, MarionetteJS
Nice to haves: Python and Django, Heroku platform, Amazon Web Services.

Hanpan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 7, 2014

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Edit : A goon has COMPLETED the challenge!

KittyLitter fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 16, 2014

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Web Developer Wanted - Short Term

I made a post about this a year ago, but the project was shelved due to unforeseen events until we had the time to devote to it properly. Which is now, as it turns out.

We're an overseas smallish law firm that needs a new, not terrible website. Before hiring a generic design agency, I thought I'd offer here.

This would be a short-term remote contract to build a site from the ground up (HTML/CSS/Javascript) that should be easy to maintain and host. You would essentially have free reign, although minimalism is the main criteria. The Knobbe Martins site (knobbe.com) is a decent reference.

As I have no technical background, I basically want someone to do this quickly, well and professionally, with a minimum of fuss. There's a major IP conference coming up on May 9 that ideally we would like to have the new site ready by, which gives us very little time to work with.

A portfolio to reference is required. If you're interested, please get in touch with me via PM or modalsaliency(at)gmail.com and provide samples of your work, along with a very rough estimate for this project.

Cheers.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Have a strange situation.

I've had a developer create a website\webapp, and I let them do it in a language that might not have been a best practice, but more of what they were familiar with, and now I feel shaky about it. What's worse, is I feel locked in to them, where as with something more common I could have almost anyone pick it up later on(or myself).

I want to explore having someone else do it from scratch\design specs. I think it will be worth the money just for the piece of mind.

I'm looking for someone familiar with Amazon's systems\databases, your basic user authentication system type stuff. 99% of UI(layout and graphics) are done and I have a separate person for that, so this is mostly just a backend job.

I don't want to go into the details publicly, but the current system was done in about 40 hours including rolling our own authentication system(which I DON'T want done). If you're interested or know someone who might be, please send me a PM. I don't really care about your education\resume, but if you have your own side project or something to show off that would be great.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
VB.NET? :v:

get out of fyad
Mar 27, 2013
Quick Gig. Need some advice from someone who knows about Civil Engineering/Scientific Computation
Who I Am: A Computer Science undergrad (senior) at a Washington University in St Louis. I'm working on an research project which I hope to turn into a regular project after I graduate. I won a research grant, and I'm using it to pay for some contract work. I'll also be paying you with this money.

What I Do: I'm attempting to use fast, inexact, and incomprehensive structural analysis computations to give "Block games" (Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress) something resembling real-time physics. Don't make fun of me! I already have a prototype made. I have a lot of directions I could go in, and I just need some help figuring out which of these damned techniques/libraries to use. I'd like to hear the thoughts of someone who has experience with this sort of thing.

What I Need: Chat with me on Skype for an hour on two or three separate occasions, and maybe spend another four hours looking stuff up in between the meetings, if need be.
You should have some experience computing linear elasticity using the finite element or finite difference methods. Ideally, you've worked with a few FEM libraries. If you've worked with any sparse linear algebra libraries be sure to let me know, but if not, don't worry.
If you're a Grad Student, that's just perfect. There's no grad program in Civil Engineering at my school so I haven't been able to find anybody!

If interested, please email conloncs@wustl.edu or PM me.

get out of fyad fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 8, 2014

Hollywood
Mar 13, 2006

Master of the obvious avatar.
I am looking for a website developer to produce a website for my law firm. I was not aware of this thread an hour or so ago, and I ended up posting in the SA-Mart. The thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624079

To perhaps get a bit more specific, I need something that is relatively easy to modify, preferably in a wordpress-like (but preferably not wordpress unless there is some inherent advantage to aesthetics) framework. Really, I want a website that, for the first time in the history of law firm websites in Arkansas, actually reflects the modern movement of websites. That is probably not too helpful, but it does mean that I will probably be a lot easier to please than someone who understands modern website design. Last one I built predates these forums.

Anyway, feel free to post in the other thread, PM me, or e-mail me at scott.troutt@gmail.com.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
I have a billing question:

I took over a project to develop a piece of mapping software to help my company do direct-mail pieces for landscaping work. The idea was to develop the program and synchronize our customer database with that software so that we could easily send out say 20,000 pieces of mail with accurate property size and price information and know that we weren't mailing to existing customers.

If you're interested in the details of the project I'll go into it, but I feel like we're being overcharged for the work.

This is the latest bill I got, and it puts us into about $20,000 for this project, which seems like a lot for something that's only just now working. My frustration with that aside, it seems like some of this stuff is sort of redundant--like he's double charging us for certain things. I don't really know enough about the languages he's using to interpret the bill though.

So, does this bill make sense?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Neight posted:

So, does this bill make sense?

Ask him about it. Asking a random audience who knows next to nothing about the project because you don't understand the words used on the bill A) means he's not so great at billing, but more importantly B) that you're headed down the path of becoming a bad client. "I don't get it, so you must be overcharging me," is something I've heard so many times that it makes my blood boil. Approach this carefully, because there's nothing more infuriating than doing a ton of work for someone only to have them come back and say, "Why is X so much? You must be cheating me."

$20,000 at $85 an hour doesn't sound like a ridiculous amount to me if you're having the dude develop something relatively complex completely from scratch. It does look like there's at least one item on that bill that could potentially be duplicated (the one with the same exact description at the bottom), but again you should ask him about it. The rest sound like reasonable development steps knowing what little I do from your description.

In the future ask for estimates before he starts or a proposed scope of work with a set budget instead of doing it hourly. Hourly work will always end up being way more than you expected.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
$20,000 is basically a month's worth of work. However, based on your explanation of the project, it sounds like it could be done closer to a week. Of course, that depends on if there's any additional complexity that you haven't included in your description. I'm going to assume that's true.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The two charges for 2/20 is certainly kinda suspicious unless there's two people working on it and their hours are reported separately, so I'd ask about that. Could easily be a simple mistake where he intended to update the hours worked and did it wrong.

Bognar posted:

$20,000 is basically a month's worth of work. However, based on your explanation of the project, it sounds like it could be done closer to a week. Of course, that depends on if there's any additional complexity that you haven't included in your description. I'm going to assume that's true.
Something that sounds like it should take a week given a brief description actually taking a month sounds about right.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

kedo posted:

Ask him about it. Asking a random audience who knows next to nothing about the project because you don't understand the words used on the bill A) means he's not so great at billing, but more importantly B) that you're headed down the path of becoming a bad client. "I don't get it, so you must be overcharging me," is something I've heard so many times that it makes my blood boil. Approach this carefully, because there's nothing more infuriating than doing a ton of work for someone only to have them come back and say, "Why is X so much? You must be cheating me."

$20,000 at $85 an hour doesn't sound like a ridiculous amount to me if you're having the dude develop something relatively complex completely from scratch. It does look like there's at least one item on that bill that could potentially be duplicated (the one with the same exact description at the bottom), but again you should ask him about it. The rest sound like reasonable development steps knowing what little I do from your description.

In the future ask for estimates before he starts or a proposed scope of work with a set budget instead of doing it hourly. Hourly work will always end up being way more than you expected.

He is bad at billing, I've asked him for estimates leading up to doing an update twice and both times one thing leads to another deadlines approach and I pester him and then I get a surprise bill for $$$$ at the end.

That said, I'm obviously going to pay him after I ask about the last item. The rest of it I understand conceptually, but not in detail and from talking to him quite a lot I know further explanation won't really help. I asked you guys because I have no point of reference for how much this should cost, but if the consensus is that $20,000 is reasonable for "a complicated project" then I'm comfortable with going to the boss with the bill and saying, "Yeah this is how much this kind of thing costs, we really needed a roadmap to a viable piece of software from the get go rather than figuring it out as we went along."

The project is basically to build a piece of software with functionality similar to this http://goilawn.com/ but with more accurate property locations using block and lot numbers from the county tax databases rather than street numbers and Google maps data (which I think is what those guys are using) because our customers tend to be very small properties that are close together. This was something he had done before for a local municipality or something. The additional work that I keep getting these semi-surprise bills for is integrating our SQL-based customer database with this and making the tax data easy to update.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I'd say listen to Plorkyeran and Bognar's comments in terms of whether or not a month of work (or $20,000, or what have you) is reasonable. Based on that more detailed description it certainly sounds reasonable to me. Knowing that there's a developer actively selling a similar product as a packaged service and that your software is supposed to be more accurate is also pretty telling.

Developers being bad at billing is painfully common in my experience. There's probably not much you can do to fix that besides asking him not to do any work until you have a solid estimate beforehand, or specifically asking for a proposed scope of work with a set price beforehand (like I mentioned previously). At least then you won't be surprised when the bill comes. If he's done this sort of work before he shouldn't have any problem quoting you a figure.

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
Developer Wanted

Looking for a junior front-end developer for a mid-sized agency in midtown Manhattan.

Know HTML & CSS. If you have experience with Sass, OOCSS, WordPress, Magento, etc., we're gonna have a good time.

PM me.

nadav fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 22, 2014

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My company is hiring, and I'd love to refer you!

Who we are: A relatively small (200 employees) "information technology consulting firm". We're fifteen years old, and growing. We are now a division of a larger company, but they by and large leave us alone.
What we do: People hire us to do software/design for them, so we work on a lot of different things. We have a contract with the US Military's Explosive Ordinance Disposal division, along with other things. We also have some major financial companies we're making software for. We're trying to get into health care, and have worked with a few companies in that space. And we have various other companies we've worked with, both local and national. We also do training for companies on Agile practices and Test-Driven Development.
What we're like: We are a highly agile organization, and have built a reputation in the St. Louis area for it. We're dedicated to pair programming and test-driven development. Teams are highly self-managing, and employees are empowered to find solutions. Many employees have a "side gig" where they're likely doing programming work, because we love it so much. We have video games in some conference rooms, and a game of Halo is almost always going on over lunch. We have a mock TARDIS in our office, and a monthly board game night. The dress code is casual--shorts and "nerd shirts" are common.
What we need:

- Developers: Do you know how to code? Are you passionate about getting better at coding? We've got work in Ruby on Rails, Java, Objective-C, C#/.NET, Erlang, and apparently Scala. Right now we are super hurting for good iOS developers, so if you love the iOS platform and want to code for it, we'd love to have a chat with you.

- Designers: Do you know web design? Do you like to do usability studies with your UX? We're looking for people who know how to execute beautiful web designs that adapt to browsers and desktop/mobile. We're also looking for people who want to help guide the design of the mobile apps we build.

PM me if you want more information.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just curious, and don't think I'm picking on you specifically because I see this every once in a while, but why are you

"working for some company but I won't tell you which!"

"and we're owned by a bigger company but that's also a big secret!"

The first question is going to be "hey uh which company? oh ok, let's proceed" so why not just get that out of way right off the bat?

epswing fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 3, 2014

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

epalm posted:

Just curious, and don't think I'm picking on you specifically because I see this every once in a while, but why are you

"working for some company but I won't you which!"

"and we're owned by a bigger company but that's also a big secret!"

The first question is going to be "hey uh which company? oh ok, let's proceed" so why not just get that out of way right off the bat?

With that in mind, come check out Tenable. We are a leading company in the security business, best known for developing Nessus which is used for vulnerability scanning in over 22,000 organizations (ranging from DOD, NASA, foreign govs, to Marvel Entertainment). People don't necessarily realize we're a software company (since our name is Tenable Network Security) but that is in fact what we are.

We are hiring big-time and have been thanks to massive growth. My understanding is that we started 2013 with about 220 employees and ended with 300 and have hired 60 more in the first quarter of 2014 with the hopes of hitting 450 by the end of the year. Check out our careers page: https://careers.tenable.com/

We need C/C++ people, webdev people (frontend and backend) as well as security types. I'm one of the latter, I write code to extend Nessus and detect new vulnerabilities. It's pretty awesome because I write code everyday that ships (after QA) within 24-72 hours and is immediately put to use. I think that's pretty neat. Being in Research, I also work remote which is doubly awesome because I basically have not worn pants since I started working at Tenable.

If you'd like to learn more about the interview process or the Research group specifically, PM me and I'd be happy to talk to you about it. If you're cool I can try to put you in touch with someone relevant to the position(s) you're interested in.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

epalm posted:

Because paging through all the other ones, it looked like that's what everyone else was doing, so I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that it was a rule.

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"
Languages: Python, PHP, Javascript, C#, C, C++, Java
Frameworks: Django, Drupal, ASP.NET MVC, WPF, Twisted, WinForms, Qt, Sockets, jQuery
Things I like to do: Web apps, cross-platform rich apps, network programming, Service APIs (no really), Embedded device stuff, automation tools, dev tools, games, VoIP, Linux
Availability: Full Time starting May 5th
Contact: PM or email sa-pubstuff -at- todandlorna daught com

I like to build awesome things, and work with smart people. I'm also capable of interfacing with customers when needs be.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Locations: Portland OR / San Francisco CA / Seattle WA

New Relic is the company I work for. I'm totally in the kool-aid jug at this point, the product, culture, vibe and company are chill, but focused and productive. It's hands down the best company I've worked for. If you look at some recent news about the company you can get an idea of what the market thinks of us, too.

I don't work in development, but do work closely with development. We're hiring a boatload of engineers at the moment across a wide variety of areas - Rails, iOS, Java, C#, Javascript, etc.

Check out http://www.newrelic.com/about/careers

Happy to take questions via PM.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm a polyglot programmer with broad engineering experience in both industry and academia, and I am looking for stable and/or challenging work! Here are my details:

Location: Ithaca, NY (and willing to relocate to Austin, TX; Boston, MA; or New York, NY)
Languages: C, C++, CSS, Java, Python, Ruby, MATLAB, HTML, SQL, AutoHotkey, LabVIEW, Verilog, VHDL, R, VBA, LaTeX
Frameworks: Limited experience with Rails
Things you like to do: Machine Learning, Data Visualization, Creating Decision Support Tools, Analyzing Complex Systems, Automating Processes, Investigating Data, and Reporting Technical Information
Availability: Seeking full-time work, but I am also available for part-time telecommuting opportunities.
Contact: Please PM me for more details and/or my contact information.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
I recently moved to Charlotte and I'm looking for a full-time, part-time, or freelance gig.
Info:

Languages: JavaScript, PHP, SQL, HTML/CSS/DOM, interested in more Python, Ruby
Frameworks: PHP MVCs, Node.js, React.js, Backbone.js
Things you like to do: Back-end modeling, front-end development, templating/HTML from Photoshop, real-time WebSocket communication
Availability: Seeking full-time, part-time, or contract employment

Stoph fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 13, 2014

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.
Hello,

I'm looking for someone to design a specific script for a website. I recently started a Google Sites page, but I'm willing to pay for a dedicated site if the Google page can't handle what I would like.

I want a script that will accept text input from a set number of users and then reveal the text in a random order after all the users have sent in their decisions. I would need to be able to change the script to accommodate a change in the number of users and be able to force a reveal in the event of one user being unable to input their data, for some reason.

I have PMs or I can be emailed at ra-hotep@att.net for any questions or clarifications.

Thanks.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I work for a small marketing company in St. Louis called Happy Medium, and we're looking to hire at least one more web/iOS developer.

We do primarily LAMP and iOS development, but really we're looking for people who are comfortable doing things they're not, uh, comfortable with.

Ideally, we'd like to find someone with at least a few years practical (like you actually have done this for a living outside of school) experience with development, though if you think you'd fit in with us, you should still apply.

Pay is pretty on par for the area, including healthcare, retirement funds, all that jazz.

I don't know, I'm bad at this. This is why I don't get to write job descriptions.

[edit]
I've gotten a couple PM's about this, but we're interested in finding people who want to work in the office, not from home/remotely. I know putting this up here and saying "oh but you've gotta already live in St. Louis" really limits our exposure, but I figured it can't hurt.

http://thinkhappymedium.com/#nowHiring

Jick Magger fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 3, 2014

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Crossposting from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135

Who are we?
Speed Commerce

Where are we?
Dallas, TX

What are we looking for?
Good, accomplished PHP developers. We're really hungry for good developers that will be working on 3rd party logistics, warehouse, and e-commerce software. You'll be working on complex problems on an old out-dated codebase. I'm not going to lie: as bad as PHP code can be, some of this code is the worst. But, we're on a path to upgrading it which you'll be a part of. We work with incredibly challenging problems at a large scale as well. Your work, when deployed, will immediately be used by millions of people, so if you get a kick out of that you'll enjoy it here. We need people immediately so the sooner you can start the better.

Experience in Symfony2, e-commerce, or even 3rd party logistics will really help.

How do I apply?
Email me at vic.cherubini@speedcommerce.com with a resume.

Anything else?
Pay is very much above average for the Dallas area, benefits are good (dental, health, vision, 401k + matching). Unfortunately this is not a remote position, and I can check on re-location assistance, but the last time that came up (early 2012) Speed did not offer it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

musclecoder posted:

We're really hungry for good developers

quote:

I can check on re-location assistance, but the last time that came up (early 2012) Speed did not offer it.
Haha! Oh wait, this isn't a joke? :confused:

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Yeah, it's a major bummer. I'll check with HR to see if we offer it now.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
Languages: c++, c#, (godhelpme) matlab, limited python/obj-c/others
Things you like to do: machine learning, computer vision, data-oriented stuff, work in matlab. Background's in (computer vision) research. I'd prefer something that does have a more data/research/whatever tinge than just straight development work, but I'm not too picky.
Things you hate to do: work in matlab
Availability: ft/pt/contract

Macaca_cyclopis
Apr 12, 2010
I have several permanent openings available in New York, NY at respected firms:

(1) Junior data role, any technology, open to entry-level if you have impressive credentials
(2) Junior Java (server-side) role, open to entry-level if you have impressive credentials
(3) Mid-Level C++ or Python
(4) KDB/Q Developer for Hi-Frequency
(5) Junior to Mid-Level Strat

If they think you are smart and like your profile, they will schedule a phone interview.

Please email me (Vicky) at vchang@optionsgroup.com if you are interested.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from some interested developers.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I'm looking for someone familiar with Wordpress to optimize my website (http://thesavvybackpacker.com ) so it loads faster. I (think) I've done a lot of the basic things so I need someone who has a better grasp on all this to help me out.

You can email me at savvybackpacker@gmail.com

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

I'm looking for reasonably experienced javascript and/or python programmers for full time work at a funded healthcare startup in san francisco. We pay market rate and give equity. It's a pretty easy-going place to work and we try to be pragmatic and inclusive with our technical decisions. Automated tests are a large part of our QA and experience with unit, functional, and integration testing is necessary. We also have sensitive data so familiarity with web application security basics (XSS, CSRF, SQLi) is a must.

Location: San Francisco, CA (we can help relocate, though you must be able to work in the US already)
Availability: The position is full time, in office (sorry no telecommute)

Front End Role
Languages: Javascript, SCSS, HTML
Frameworks: Backbone.js, Marionette

Back End Role
Languages: Python
Frameworks: Django, django-rest-framework

Perks: standard SF perks (catered lunch, nice computers, etc), smart and engaged coworkers, as little red tape as possible, growing company, dedicated DevOps team

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Looking to move to Seattle, WA because I can't stand the desert heat anymore.

Languages: PHP, C#, SQL, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, AS3
Frameworks: CodeIgniter, Laravel, .NET, ASP.NET WebForms, ASP.NET MVC, a tiny bit of AngularJS
Things you like to do: I've always been a jack-of-all trades (by necessity), but would love to get outside of my comfort zone and take a deep dive into something like AngularJS. I would be super happy to pick up a new language or technology on the job. I love delivering a great product as quickly as possible. Give me no red-tape and the ability to push out builds multiple times a day if need be and I'm a happy dev.
Availability: Seeking full-time work, could start relatively soon (weeks) if everyone is motivated enough

A company that pays for relocation would be preferable.

Gary the Llama fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 12, 2014

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Startup Help Social looking for Devs and Sys Ops, together you will combine to form DEVOPS...dun dun dun

Location Remote or San Antonio
Languages PHP, Python, Java
Contact see link below

Further Reading:
Assist in the ongoing operation and maintenance of existing servers.
Share on-call responsibilities with the rest of the team.
Experience building complex systems with high performance, scalability and reliability requirements.
Experience with distributed data processing system (Kafka, Storm, Spark, Shark, Akka, Hadoop, others.)
Experience with NoSQL systems such as MongoDB and Redis.
Solid Linux background with experience building and configuring servers.
Experience with centralized config management concepts (Chef, Ansible, Salt, etc.)
Understanding of system monitoring tools and concepts (Nagios, Pingdom, etc).
PHP, Python, or Java code and deal with MySQL databases.
Familiar with Git.
Extreme comfort with the Linux command line interface.
Relevant post secondary education, or equivalent industry experience.
Link to full description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff
Oct 7, 2009

by Ralp
Requirement: I need a backend designed for an Android / iPhone application to run on http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508988 . I don't care what OS or framework but I need it to be fast, potentially have a large number of users, each of whom would potentially need to store a large amount of data. Say 10 gigs a person eventually, in some sort of system or database that is easily scalable. I was looking into taking data from an SQLite database on iPhone android and transferring to PostGre or something on a server but if for some reason that wouldn't be feasible let me know.

Timeframe: Freelance, maybe a weeks worth of quality work? I have a budjet to work with but it is a small project.
Languages: Python maybe, Objective C, Java
Frameworks: Django? PHP?
OS: Ubuntu Server 12.04, 14.04, Debian 7.4, CentOS 5.10, 6.5, Windows 2008 R2, 2012, or 2012 R2
Nice to haves: iPhone 5 / recent Android App development experience, BLE, database experience (SQLite?), user login (maybe google auth through vnuclear?)

Bluff fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread