Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure that's happened more than once but if memory serves THE time that everybody talks about happened on Crossfire. The premise of that show was they had a conservative host and a liberal host and they would invite two people on the show of opposing opinions to verbally duke it out. This generally went exactly as well as you'd expect but on a special edition they invited John Stewart on alone apparently with the intent on destroying him thanks to how much he makes fun of and criticizes the GOP.

Along the lines of that: A few years ago didn't some pundits bring up the his old post-9/11 episode where he got a bit emotional during a monologue and started just trying to insult and humiliate him for his response to the events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

kik2dagroin posted:

Within the first 10 minutes of Limbaugh's show today he :godwin:'d Obama by saying that the first thing Hitler did was create universal healthcare. Because you and I know that is totally what Obamacare is :toot:

Again? You sure he wasn't just playing a rerun? :lol:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Not even close to true anyways. Nazi Germany had socialized healthcare sure, but so did Wiemar Germany. So did German Empire Germany. They never had Universal Healthcare though. Jews weren't allowed coverage.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
All this talk of conservative comics and no mention of the Crown Prince of Bullshit Jeff Dunham? Half of his incredibly stale routine is dealing with the Muslim Terrorist Puppet with frequent interludes about his lament for God being taken out of classrooms and poo poo like this.

I remember loving his stuff when I was like 10 (A JALAPENO ON A STICK!?) - but I'm sure his safe-and-sound no swearing / dirty jokes routine keeps angry old conservatives in the audience with their unaware grandchildren.

Anyway, I'm late the derail on this one but gently caress Jeff Dunham and his lovely, hateful comedy routines.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

robotsinmyhead posted:

All this talk of conservative comics and no mention of the Crown Prince of Bullshit Jeff Dunham? Half of his incredibly stale routine is dealing with the Muslim Terrorist Puppet with frequent interludes about his lament for God being taken out of classrooms and poo poo like this.

I remember loving his stuff when I was like 10 (A JALAPENO ON A STICK!?) - but I'm sure his safe-and-sound no swearing / dirty jokes routine keeps angry old conservatives in the audience with their unaware grandchildren.

Anyway, I'm late the derail on this one but gently caress Jeff Dunham and his lovely, hateful comedy routines.

Well, according to Gabriel Iglesias, Arabs eat that up as they take it as satire.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

deoju posted:

I haven't seen every MST3K but I can't remember hearing a single joke that made me think the guy had a strong conservative streak. If anything the shows general irreverence seemed pretty anti-establishment left-ish to me. So I was surprised to hear he leaned pretty far to the right.

Anyway, a comedy blog I read from time to time had an article about "conservative daily shows" failing over and over again a few months back.

tl;dr They are always conservative first and comedy second.
RiffTrax will occasionally take a crack at the likes of Al Gore (who deserves it in a lot of ways). The only explicitly conservative gag they did that actually pissed me off was in the Starship Troopers riff while the camera was pointed at some dead bugs they said something along the lines of, "All ready to become another Obama voter!" Most of the time their humor is pretty much apolitical though, and when they do go after politicians it's more friendly ribbing rather than, you know, repeating lies told on talk radio.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Guilty Spork posted:

RiffTrax will occasionally take a crack at the likes of Al Gore (who deserves it in a lot of ways). The only explicitly conservative gag they did that actually pissed me off was in the Starship Troopers riff while the camera was pointed at some dead bugs they said something along the lines of, "All ready to become another Obama voter!" Most of the time their humor is pretty much apolitical though, and when they do go after politicians it's more friendly ribbing rather than, you know, repeating lies told on talk radio.

Mike did that lame War on Christmas song on MST3k:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MioTYWrsVHQ

quote:

Tom: But if you prefer to eat Indian food on Christmas Day

I can only shrug my shoulders and say "Namaste"

Crow: (as Mike and Tom harmonizes) Personally I prefer

Turkey, gravy and salad

But let's never forget

All cultures

All: Are valid!

"All cultures are valid" :airquote: :rolleyes:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

robotsinmyhead posted:

All this talk of conservative comics and no mention of the Crown Prince of Bullshit Jeff Dunham?

Because the original derail was about funny comedians who happened to be conservative.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The sentiment is bad but it was a sentiment that was way less understood pre 9/11. It's like Lovecraft's anti-semitism, it's not laudable in any way but it's not like he was doing it after we found the concentration camps. I say this as someone who is well aware that I'm probably going to make my grandkids cringe by calling things gay and using fag as a pejorative. I'm Seattle liberal as gently caress but sometimes you can't help but reflect your times' bad aspects.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
And now, here's a recording of a man very slowly sliding his head up his own butthole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx1s91AhTNQ

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

comes along bort posted:

Because the original derail was about funny comedians who happened to be conservative.

And the creator of the blue collar comedy tour very clearly said that he doesn't consider Jeff Dunham a comedian.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Dan Bongino really is the most boring and stupid fill-in host that gets used by everyone. He has this weird manic gleeful tone and is constantly trolling for people to call in and disagree with him, but he's just got nothing.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

KittenofDoom posted:

And, like a conservative, hit shitheadery has pushed him out of mainstream entertainment into a free podcast and the occasional appearance on The O'Reilly Factor.

When shock is your shtick, you tend to have a fairly limited shelf-life.

Carolla's downhill slide started when he got away from the improv that he had been honing for most of his career. When he went of to do The Man Show the entire concept and most of the scripted stuff was from ideas he had come up with while doing Love Line. And when he had squeezed everything he could out of previous decade of improv on Love Line, he was left with nothing but complaining about the taxes on his now stagnant/declining income.

In the end, he mistook his quick wit and humor to make funny banter with troubled kids calling a radio show with some sort of true comedic genius, and now he is bitter that everything he touched afterwards didn't turn to gold.

And, is it just me, or does it seem like those that complain about personal taxes the most are either just bad at business or otherwise peaked in terms of income?

Carollo is basically done unless he can find a new call in show, or another gig doing prank phone calls, so the only way he can take home more money is by paying less taxes. I've met plenty of small business owners who are just bad business people or in a tapped out market who complain bitterly about taxes. But those that are good at running and growing a business seem to complain more about pain-in-the-rear end clients or suppliers then about the taxes they pay.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Having to pay a large amount of income taxes is a problem I wish I had.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radish posted:

Having to pay a large amount of income taxes is a problem I wish I had.

Yeah, I'd personally love it if I had to cut the IRS a check for a cool million.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

pd187 posted:

Mike did that lame War on Christmas song on MST3k:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MioTYWrsVHQ

"All cultures are valid" :airquote: :rolleyes:

This isn't a War on Christmas song, it's just a "ha ha, multicultural Christmas would be silly" song.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phone posted:

Yeah, I'd personally love it if I had to cut the IRS a check for a cool million.

Especially if my accountants had gotten that down to a 11% tax rate.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
"Oh hey, it's been a while since I checked in on Prager University. There's a video about feminism, that's sure to be entertaining"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9FHKKbMZo&t=252s

sluuuuuuuutttts!

(linking this back to the conservative comedian thing, Adam Carrola does quite a few videos for them)

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

This isn't a War on Christmas song, it's just a "ha ha, multicultural Christmas would be silly" song.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Given Mike Nelson's lack of history of saying or supporting terrible things, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dude seems to be an older style conservative who I would not agree with but could live with.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

It's February and I don't really want to think about this much, in fact 2013 was pretty quiet for War On Christmas stuff in my personal experience, but drat if this isn't a thing that doesn't need to be a thing. When was it decided for us that happy holidays was offensive again? I seem to recall this being a Fox-funded venture of some kind. It first started popping up within my consciousness on Daily Show bits from 10 years ago.

Has it been so long? I don't remember this being such an issue when I was a kid in the 90s, but then, I was a kid, so what did I know? (The answer is nothing.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Your evidence to support your claim is a Youtube comment by a guy with a FF7 reference in his handle?

I win.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Given Mike Nelson's lack of history of saying or supporting terrible things, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dude seems to be an older style conservative who I would not agree with but could live with.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/1145333/posts

quote:

Q33 (Forrest): Have you seen The Passion of the Christ? If so, what did you think?

A33: I have seen it. I have mixed feelings about movie depictions of the central event in the Christian faith. For myself, I have the Bible and that works well for me. Also, I’m a Protestant, and we tend to be more Easter focused, while traditionally, Catholics have been a little more Passion focused. So it did me good to spend a little time there.

All that being said, I think it was a pretty fine movie, and darned if it didn’t get people talking about religion again, a subject that some are trying to close off from the public square, a pet peeve of mine. Though the Judeo-Christian worldview has served us well for more than two hundred years and underpins the finest society in the history of the world, there are those fighting hard to throw it all on the scrap heap and replace it with radical secularism, a worldview that has brought us Nazism, Communism and some of the greatest horrors of all time.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Freerepublic: Bastion of journalistic integrity.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

TURN IT OFF! posted:

Freerepublic: Bastion of journalistic integrity.

It's a link, you moron. The original page is gone but here it is on archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041030083320/http://tom-servo.home.mindspring.com/special-events_interview_mike-nelson-2-main.html

quote:

Q39 (Forrest): What’s the most overrated movie all time (let me take a guess, Titanic or Gangs of New York, right)?

A39: American Beauty. A crappy piece of propaganda. It’s Three’s Company all dressed up with ponderous pretension. I can’t tell you how much I loathe that film.

Q40 (Forrest): What do you think is the best movie of 2004 so far (as of April 2004)?

A40: I’ll go with The Passion of the Christ, for the reasons above.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm pretty sure the guys that voice the robots aren't conservatives, so I don't think the song was meant to be political.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

random fansites from the nineties: bastions of journalistic integrity.

edit: accurate portrayal of Mikes political views, totes true guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrwbTgVuOw

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I hate to say it but I've found in my personal experience that the only difference between rear end in a top hat conservatives and "polite conservatives" is that the latter are just smarter about keeping their mouths shut.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Lycus posted:

I'm pretty sure the guys that voice the robots aren't conservatives, so I don't think the song was meant to be political.
There was a point when "Happy Holidays" was cloying, well-intentioned political correctness, and there were no conservative pundits declaring it to be The Enemy of Christmas, so I could totally see a song about it not being particularly political back when MST3K was on the air.

I'm not sure about Kevin or Bill (or the earlier robot voice guys), but from his Twitter Frank Conniff (TV's Frank) is a total flaming liberal.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Kevin has described himself as a liberal.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

beatlegs posted:

I hate to say it but I've found in my personal experience that the only difference between rear end in a top hat conservatives and "polite conservatives" is that the latter are just smarter about keeping their mouths shut.
That's what separates all polite people from their rear end in a top hat counterparts.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Mike Nelson might be the only person on Earth to watch Mitchell and say to himself "There is a god, and he loves me."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snoggle posted:

Mike Nelson might be the only person on Earth to watch Mitchell and say to himself "There is a god, and he loves me."

Mitchell was Joel's last show. :colbert:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Final Justice was almost as bad.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

TURN IT OFF! posted:

random fansites from the nineties: bastions of journalistic integrity.

edit: accurate portrayal of Mikes political views, totes true guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrwbTgVuOw

Is the Minneapolis Star-Tribune good enough for you?

https://web.archive.org/web/20050603081950/http://www.startribune.com/stories/563/5423773.html

quote:

Demonizing the other side
Several times in the May 25 Star Tribune editorial on the filibuster you refer to those with whom you disagree as "radicals" and "fundamentalists."
Question: In your paper's view is there any such thing as a left-wing radical? Any secular fundamentalists?
Sen. Ted Kennedy, perhaps? Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg? Ward Churchill? Massachusetts Supreme Court Justice Margaret Marshall? Noam Chomsky? The Democrats who, for the first time in the history of the Senate, filibustered judicial nominees who enjoyed majority support? Or are they all "progressive"?
Michael J. Nelson, Minneapolis.

EDIT: I dunno if you think the Lincoln Heights Literary Society is better than an MST3k fansite, but there's also this:

http://liheliso.com/Interviews/MikeNelson030704.html

quote:

LS: What place does religion have in our lives? Can you be moral without belief in God?

MN: Well, as a Judeo-Christian nation, there's obviously a great tradition of religion, but I do think there now seems to be a phobia about speaking of it in the public sphere. It's too bad, because it closes off a gigantic, well-developed and thorough intellectual discipline. (And I happen to believe there's that whole "saving your soul" issue, that I wouldn't want people to lose sight of.) As the apologist Greg Koukl is fond of pointing out, Christianity is well-equipped to compete in the marketplace of ideas.

And obviously, you can be a wonderful, completely moral, thoroughly beautiful human being without a belief in God (I think it's much more difficult, and you'd be pulling it off in spite of your beliefs, not because of them.) But on the intellectual plane, many Atheist thinkers have tried to construct a framework for morality and all of them have been unconvincing. To my thinking, "morality" is meaningless unless you talk about "absolute morality." And you can't do that without bringing God into it.

LS: Who will win the next presidential election? Who should win the next presidential election?

MN: I think it will be very close, but I'll say Bush. And if it isn't clear by now, I think Bush should win. Especially after hearing Howard Dean's infamous scream at the Iowa caucus. (Great, now almost half the people in the country hate me.)

Thomas13206 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 20, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Oh god, the "Howard Dean scream". A guy yelled the word "yeah" joyously one time to a celebrating crowd and it disqualified him for president because, like,

:rolleyes:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
To be fair it was a pretty hilarious scream.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

To be fair, he wasn't going to win anyway.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

True, but let's not make it about his policy ideas or leadership skills, let's make it about yelling "yeah" so we can roll our eyes at the mentally unbalanced liberal crazyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Listening to Mark Levin on the way home and he and some law professor from California were having masturbatory fantasies about a ballot initiative to break California into 6 separate states. Given that its California and that the ballot initiative is being sponsored and funded by a venture capital billionaire, Tim Draper, I don't doubt that they will get the signatures they need to get it on the ballot. At that point, the law professor was saying that it would be a done deal if the initiative passed and that even if Congress doesn't approve it, the proposed legislation is written in such a way that California will still have to function as 6 separate states until the bill is passed or the time for passage lapses. The initiative is written in such a way that it would be win if they win and even a win if they loose situation. So how scared should we be that California will put at least 10 new Republican Senators into Congress?