Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously

GreatGreen posted:

This article is both awesome and very depressing.

And I really want a 4k computer monitor for $500 now.
That pretty much stuck in my head as if it were burned into my brain. How can I resist now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Duck and Cover posted:

OH NOOOoooo cords! Please someone think of the children!

All those cords look ridiculous, and going beyond simply ignoring them like a normal slob to instead actively displaying them like beloved nerd nerd trophies is even worse, you complete and total goon.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Some people have actually done some neat stuff with displaying cables

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
Do you make your bed every day? Some people do and some people don't. Personally, I think my room looks like poo poo if the bed isn't made. Same goes for cables, although you only have to do that once.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

durk onion posted:

Do you make your bed every day? Some people do and some people don't. Personally, I think my room looks like poo poo if the bed isn't made. Same goes for cables, although you only have to do that once.

I might not make my bed every day but I'd definitely want my cables to be hidden when possible. My computer and home theater both are seen by visitors to my house far more than my bed/bedroom are.

I don't think it's worth harping on people for having exposed cables since it's all personal preference but it does make me scratch my head when people don't put any effort into getting them out of the way and then go post photos of their setup in a thread like this. The point of a thread like this seems to be 90% vanity anyway so if you're going to take the time to take a photo and post it for people to comment on why not take the extra 30 seconds to tuck things out of the way and clear the mtn. dew bottles off the desk.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Tom Foolery posted:

That pretty much stuck in my head as if it were burned into my brain. How can I resist now.

that is a stupid idea. that is the dumbest idea i've ever read, in a blog. This idea is so dumb that you would have to purchase Gunnar(tm) Gaming Eyewear because TVs are lovely.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

sports posted:

that is a stupid idea. that is the dumbest idea i've ever read, in a blog. This idea is so dumb that you would have to purchase Gunnar(tm) Gaming Eyewear because TVs are lovely.

Or you could use your brain to think about it for a second instead of parroting what you've read on the internet (TVs as monitors BAAAD!!) and realize that displays normally classified as TVs are usually labeled as non-ideal for computer monitoring solutions because they have huge individual pixels, meaning horrible dpi and up-close viewing, while 4k TVs have basically the same pixel density as what marketing teams call "computer monitors," but with a much physically larger screen, so the difference between a 4k "computer monitor" and a 4k "tv" is literally noting more than "one has built in tv tuner hardware and volume buttons, the other doesn't."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 17, 2014

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

sports posted:

Right now I am using a 24" Samsung T240HD and a 22" Visio E221-A as monitors. One of them even came with a goddamn DVI port. How again do TVs make bad monitors?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tom Foolery posted:

Don't get the Seiki T.V.for a monitor. It's got a really low refresh rate and the colors are pretty bad.

Dell is going to have some affordable 4k monitors this year supposedly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Don't get the Seiki T.V.for a monitor. It's got a really low refresh rate and the colors are pretty bad.

The article is solely recommending it for a developing/coding monitor, to be fair.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

thelightguy posted:

Right now I am using a 24" Samsung T240HD and a 22" Visio E221-A as monitors. One of them even came with a goddamn DVI port. How again do TVs make bad monitors?

Chroma subsampling and unconfigurable post-processing make text a goddamn mess unless you spend :retrogames: on your TV (and you may not escape it even then). Could be you got lucky, though.

This is putting aside input lag, which may not even be fixed by Game Mode.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
[Cabling talk]
The only reason my cables are exposed is because of a lack in space. That's why my power strip and bricks are on a wall, otherwise there'd be even less space on the desk. I also travel frequently with my laptop, so the Velcro was something easy to take down or put up between trips. I wire tied as much cable as possible, but its not practical to undo them each time I get somewhere where I need the cable length.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

nescience posted:

it'd be easier if I could get this program working.

imagine eight. They're opening 4 full screens per monitor.

e:wording

This article was awesome until he started up with the :goonsay:.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Given the desk-chat, is this where I could ask about them? Basically, is there a type of smaller desk(say 30"Wx20"D) which lets you put your tower sideways? It's a really weird thing I know, but the argument from a friend essentially amounts to something-something airflow and they don't like the back of their PC being being near the wall.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wasabi the J posted:

I run my 2560x1080 display over HDMI and it runs just fine; I have an AMD R9 290 OC'd to 1080MHz on my desktop though :smug:

What keyboard is that?

Sickxoxo
Nov 11, 2012

QPZIL posted:

What keyboard is that?

I was wondering the same thing. The layout looks a bit like the CM Quickfire, but more cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sickxoxo posted:

I was wondering the same thing. The layout looks a bit like the CM Quickfire, but more cool.

It's a Leopold FC660C that I put my spare Realforce 86UB keycaps on.

Full gallery here.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, I saw that article a few weeks ago and was tempted to nudge my boss with it but I'm pretty sure the low refresh rate would kill me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a Leopold FC660C that I put my spare Realforce 86UB keycaps on.

Full gallery here.

Sigh, not what I was hoping it'd be. A long time ago I found a website where you could custom build a keyboard and pick colors, mechanics, etc.

I was hoping that's what it was!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, I saw that article a few weeks ago and was tempted to nudge my boss with it but I'm pretty sure the low refresh rate would kill me.

The 30hz refresh rate is fine for productivity. Plus you would be surprised at the frames some demanding games run at, where 30 fps is not unheard of. But really, if you just doing web browsing and productivity stuff, 30 hz is fine. Tech report spoke highly of it too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Coredump posted:

The 30hz refresh rate is fine for productivity. Plus you would be surprised at the frames some demanding games run at, where 30 fps is not unheard of. But really, if you just doing web browsing and productivity stuff, 30 hz is fine. Tech report spoke highly of it too.

Yeah, it's probably not like a CRT where a 30hz signal would make you feel like you're at a strobe lit dupstep show. You wouldn't be able to see the individual refreshes, so unless you're gaming on the monitor I highly doubt you'd notice it at all.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Sigh, not what I was hoping it'd be. A long time ago I found a website where you could custom build a keyboard and pick colors, mechanics, etc.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

QPZIL posted:

You could always look up the mechanical FC660M and buy your own keycaps from ebay.

Edit: I've used this vendor a couple times and cannot complain.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 21, 2014

Mydonos
May 27, 2013

benisntfunny posted:

Hurray for a new desk.

Nice very clean, i want something like that :)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mydonos posted:

Nice very clean, i want something like that :)

Well, the thing I want is not having watched every episode of Archer. He clearly hasn't watched it all. Jealous. Good show.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

HalloKitty posted:

Well, the thing I want is not having watched every episode of Archer. He clearly hasn't watched it all. Jealous. Good show.

I just wanted people to not know all I really ever see is food network :(

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
My poo poo hole in the basement.

Where I am usually at. That's just a real old wooden school desk.

The poo poo hole setup is some unknown table, some pink chairs from a hair salon, a Apple G3 with a dead hard drive that was left in the basement when we moved in, a old dell desktop I use for file storage backup and a HP laptop missing the screen I use for web surfing and playing Pandora radio.

We hope to redo the basement this spring ($$$$$) and should turn into a nice office/music room.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Living like poo poo :sun:

U2711, U2713hm, U2711.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wibla posted:

Why do you have a full sized keyboard, then what looks like a 10 key usb on the right?

Also mouse + trackpad wrist rest?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Moey posted:

Why do you have a full sized keyboard, then what looks like a 10 key usb on the right?

So, what's the over/under on whether or not that 10 key has been re-purposed to be a l33t WASD-type gaming controller?

...which I am jealous I didn't think of for myself first :ninja:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

E: ^^^^ The keys on that 10key thing have the worst feel, I doubt it'd work well for FPSes, then theres the whole weapon switching thing where having a bigger row of keys above the WASD comes in handy :v:

Moey posted:

Tendonitis and internet spaceships spreadsheets.

I really should swap the keyboard out for a tenkeyless one and get a different wrist rest... but :effort:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 27, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Wibla posted:

U2711, U2713hm, U2711.

Proudly displaying your redbull can on that bookshelf in your tree house?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Nothing too special. Cheap desk (free, actually), old laptop, a not pictured but free chair that my next door neighbor was getting rid of, and a mysterious wire at the top.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Monolith. posted:

Nothing too special. Cheap desk (free, actually), old laptop, a not pictured but free chair that my next door neighbor was getting rid of, and a mysterious wire at the top.

That monitor totally doesn't look like its going to fall off.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
That laptop is what, 3 years old?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Monolith. posted:

All I can stare at is your mini keyring gat.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

sports posted:

That laptop is what, 3 years old?

Probably around there. It's the R1 model too so it's even worse.

Don Lapre posted:

Optical illusion.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Speak of which, that clock looks awesome if it's a magnetic floating one.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Don Lapre posted:

Its a tv no worries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Monolith. posted:

I really wish the chair was there with pictures of you sitting in it using the tv as a monitor from like 12 inches from the screen