Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dr. Buttass posted:

You know, my dad once told me that you need the "stimulus" of a laugh track to help you know when something in a sitcom is funny.

He didn't notice the irony either.

What irony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

my dad posted:

What irony?
*audience laughs, applauds*

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm watching the first Retsufrash and I'm dying laughing because I normally skipped over the flash stuff. God this is amazing. :allears:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

So I'm watching the first Retsufrash and I'm dying laughing because I normally skipped over the flash stuff. God this is amazing. :allears:

Watch the Trapped trilogy!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

slowbeef posted:

That or Ambition.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like, DSP gets a monthly check from the government, right?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

my dad posted:

What irony?

God drat, I forgot you were here, I can't breathe

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
This just popped up on my subscriptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vLIN7pXHA

jus' gonna leave it here.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

slowbeef posted:

Mr DJB posted:

That or Ambition.

These are both amazing because lack of large groups of people to say "No that's a bad idea" can cause flash games to have levels of insanity far above most video games.

MDickie works on the same principle.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

I whole heartily agree.

also, semi-:nws: for manly physique.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Princess Sheepy posted:

I whole heartily agree.

What did I just watch?:psyboom:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So the Two Best Friends team just finished their IHNMAIMS LP, and I gotta say they did a really good job. It was a huge deviation from their usual MO, but seeing both the Newbie/Veteran viewpoints alongside Pat's college analysis reactions was really great.

If Slowbeef indeed gets Pat on a Retsutalk, he should bring up that LP. It'd be something interesting to discuss since its a neat direction to take that kind of a LP in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frozentreasure posted:

The thing that I take away from that image is that he's going to be doing an LP of Final Fantasy 13-3. I mean, we already know that he only ever does games that his viewers ask for because viewers and money is more important than what he actually enjoys, but who would even ask him to play that, of all loving games?

As someone who's this deep into the FF XIII well, and is bloody-mindedly continuing, through a combination of actually kind of enjoying the gameplay and laughing at the melodrama in the plot, it'll actually be kind of hilarious, as XIII-3 can't be beaten by grinding. Well... it can, but it'd take a LONG time. Not as hilarious as him playing the first XIII though. He MANUALLY SELECTED COMBAT ACTIONS for every turn, for approximately a million videos. (If you've never played the game, that is A Dumb Way To Play)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

As someone who's this deep into the FF XIII well, and is bloody-mindedly continuing, through a combination of actually kind of enjoying the gameplay and laughing at the melodrama in the plot, it'll actually be kind of hilarious, as XIII-3 can't be beaten by grinding. Well... it can, but it'd take a LONG time. Not as hilarious as him playing the first XIII though. He MANUALLY SELECTED COMBAT ACTIONS for every turn, for approximately a million videos. (If you've never played the game, that is A Dumb Way To Play)

No it isn't. The auto fight is pretty dumb in a lot of situations, so you do want to take manual control a fair amount.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Genocyber posted:

No it isn't. The auto fight is pretty dumb in a lot of situations, so you do want to take manual control a fair amount.

Yeah, for the 30 hours that I've so far been playing it with my brother-in-law, I've actively avoided auto-battle every time. Partially because it barely even does anything that useful, partially because I want at least some modicum of interactivity in the game.

EDIT: Also, I think the bigger issue people had with DSP when he switched from camcorder footage to direct capture is that he was adamant that direct capture was inherently terrible, and had videos stating as much up to, like, a week before he switched. And once he switched, he never brought it up, never admitted that direct capture didn't have any of the drawbacks that he claimed it did (having to sit at a laptop, hunched over with headphones on looking at a tiny video feed), never acknowledged people bringing it up to him. It's exactly the same as the bit with the M9 in MGS2; he even did that regarding the iPad, claiming something along the lines of "I'll never ever buy one" and then trying a daily app review series a few short months later.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 19, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Genocyber posted:

Depends on what role you're playing, really. The AI can handle jobs that mostly do straight damage (ie Commando, Ravager), it's when you head into territory where you actively need certain things to happen (Synergist, Saboteur, possibly Medic depending on your situation) where it's better to take control. I mean, if the enemy is weak to fire, I'm going to pick four Fires, there's no reason the game can't do that for me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, the Interactive Part of XIII's battles is more the Paradigm Shift menu than the action menu. XIII's combat menu was also pretty horrible to actually use in a system as fast paced as it was. Honestly, unless you want to get Super Efficient™ with buffs Auto Battle is almost always adequate. The only Problem Situation is Medics who sometimes get confused when you're in very bad shape and have to manage raising, curing and healing all at once. Even then, Auto Battle, being an AI, is a lot better at prioritising horrible numbery stuff like when to use Cure vs Curasa etc.

Seeing DSP try to play XIII-3 is going to be hilarious, though, both because of the aforementioned thing where you can't just grind to victory (unless you count grinding sidequests, with DSP won't do because come on), and between failing out of battles due to them being Actually Action Game Hard and generally running around like an idiot without any idea where to go, he'll inevitably run out of time and get kicked back to the start of the game.

Unless he plays on Easy Mode. Well, maybe even then. I don't actually know how much easier it is.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Princess Sheepy posted:

I whole heartily agree.

I don't care if it isn't collector's edition quality plastic taking it out of the container ruins the value.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fedule posted:

Yeah, the Interactive Part of XIII's battles is more the Paradigm Shift menu than the action menu. XIII's combat menu was also pretty horrible to actually use in a system as fast paced as it was. Honestly, unless you want to get Super Efficient™ with buffs Auto Battle is almost always adequate. The only Problem Situation is Medics who sometimes get confused when you're in very bad shape and have to manage raising, curing and healing all at once. Even then, Auto Battle, being an AI, is a lot better at prioritising horrible numbery stuff like when to use Cure vs Curasa etc.

It's more a case of not wasting your time when buffing/debuffing. The game places value on things like vigilance and veil much more than it should. The Auto Battle also encourages you to do your own inputs by doing things like Fire/Firestrike/Fire/Firestrike which makes you have to switch animations and makes a five second sequence closer to 10 or 12 and uses your STR attribute on a MAG based character.

The best thing is just to put the best commands in and use the repeat function. Auto Battle works, but it makes fights take forever what could be over in half the time.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Aurain posted:

The Auto Battle also encourages you to do your own inputs by doing things like Fire/Firestrike/Fire/Firestrike which makes you have to switch animations and makes a five second sequence closer to 10 or 12 and uses your STR attribute on a MAG based character.

That was the main thing that I noticed in the LPs that seemed utterly pointless; the animations take way too long already, and sometimes the game's insistence on showing a flashy animation has killed me. But that's more for another thread.

I wouldn't count DSP out of beating the game just because you can't grind to victory. Even if only through the assistance of his chat, I'm pretty sure he beats basically everything unless he well and truly rages out of the whole shebang. What was the last game he just refused to keep playing?

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

frozentreasure posted:

What was the last game he just refused to keep playing?

Kill Zone: Shadowfall, I want to say. He just dropped the LP without any explanation as far as I know.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

Roar posted:

This just popped up on my subscriptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vLIN7pXHA

jus' gonna leave it here.

I really hate you.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Bitcoin has decided to try and cash in on the TPP hype.

Live stream:

Instead of writing commands in the chat you send money to different accounts!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Boxturret posted:

Live stream:

This is just sad.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Live stream:

Why. Why would anyone pay real money to have a game character step one square to the left. That's what's happening, right? Ugh.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You do realize that it's a joke, right?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

David D. Davidson posted:

See I thought this too, then I googled it and uh

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

There are no jokes in the world of bitcoin.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It is?
WHY?
:psypop:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Because. Bitcoin.

#RonPaul2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well at least there's gotta be less Start spamming since it actually costs money right?

Right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

At least it appears to be mostly dead. Not enough idiots to fuel it i guess.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
If you look, since that screenshot, they have moved one spot to the right. With two presses of start.

HUGE SUCCESS!

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Red is not leaving Pallet Town.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Bitcoins have a small hanging issue out there at the moment. You see, the U.S. government in a few raids seized some computers/servers that happened to have a combined total of more than 174,000 bitcoins on them. So, if the feds were to try to sell all $139,200,000 worth of their bitcoins it would crash the Bit-market.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The question that remains is why the gently caress are they not doing so immediately

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Mr DJB posted:

Red is not leaving Pallet Town.

Of course they skipped the name input screen too, I bet. That would've been a lot more embarrassing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Roar posted:

The question that remains is why the gently caress are they not doing so immediately

Why would you want them to mess with the free market at work?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Roar posted:

Because that isn't how you fence currency. They wouldn't try to sell them on the open market if they wanted to cash them in. What you do is sell the whole wallet to a third party for a percentage of what it's "worth". That third party then gets the risk/profit from selling it off piecemeal slowly. That's assuming they actually care to sell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

unfair posted:

Because that isn't how you fence currency. They wouldn't try to sell them on the open market if they wanted to cash them in. What you do is sell the whole wallet to a third party for a percentage of what it's "worth". That third party then gets the risk/profit from selling it off piecemeal slowly. That's assuming they actually care to sell them.

I think he's saying "why don't they sell them all at once and crash the market." Which would be the ideal situation.

• Locked thread