Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I wouldn't heat it first, since that would stick the oil stuff to the pan. A good soaping and water may do the trick, I bet the oil just got rancid and may come off fairly easily. Soap and water, dry it out (so it doesn't start rusting) and leave it open for a day and then give it another smell test. If it still smells weird then you can progress to the bigger guns. Hopefully it hasn't really penetrated into the seasoning or metal and will just come off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'd probably just get it NASA hot (preferably in an outside grill to avoid smoking too much inside) for a couple of hours and see what it looks like after that. If the oil's rancid it should all burn off and just leave carbon behind, and if you're not happy with it you can always scrub it afterward.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Do you have access to a grill or a tub and strong bases? I'd either soak it in degreaser or burn the poo poo out of it.

Yeah, you're going to have to reseason it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartolimu posted:

I'd probably just get it NASA hot (preferably in an outside grill to avoid smoking too much inside) for a couple of hours and see what it looks like after that. If the oil's rancid it should all burn off and just leave carbon behind, and if you're not happy with it you can always scrub it afterward.
Yeah, the solution to pretty much all seasoning problems is to get it oily and heat it up. Didn't work? More oil, more heat. Still didn't work? Are you not loving listening? More oil and more heat.

If it's rusty or something okay you have to take a wire brush to it until it's not rusty. And you want to use really thin coats of oil so you don't get gummy lumps. But it's really loving caveman-level technology here.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I used a dutch oven as a coal/wood smoke generator in a hacked smoker. It had meat drippings and grease and smoke residue and everything just caked all over it and was sticky and nasty. I threw it on my grill without washing and put it on as high as it went. It smoked profusely, then an hour later everything was completely carbonized which just brushed off easily with a steel brush and the dutch oven was as good as new.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

On the other side, though, if you clean it using strong bases you can pretend you are Breaking Bad.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
When I need to season cast iron/carbon steel I just put some oil in the pan and put it in the oven on broil until I can't smell it burning. And just repeat.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the replies, looks like it's a brief scrub, followed by the torments of hell, or at least the best my lovely apartment oven can approximate. Good bye, stinky rancid oil smell!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Am I correct in thinking that olive oil isn't best for seasoning as its smoke point is too low?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Am I correct in thinking that olive oil isn't best for seasoning as its smoke point is too low?

I was thinking this, too. Wouldn't the oil burn and make everything taste terrible? I'd think peanut oil or something like that would be better. Even canola oil might be a better choice.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

therattle posted:

I thought the whole point of seasoning was to take the fat above its smoke point in the first place, leaving behind only polymers? I think olive oil is inferior as a seasoning for different reasons (sticky and soft)?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You can use whatever fat you want, so just go with something cheap.

Frankly I have no idea why people want to use olive oil all the time for everything.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I imagine the same reason people want to go to Olive Garden.

It makes them think of John Stamos or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Olive oil and most (unhydrogenated) vegetable oils get sticky. I find the best thing to use is crisco shortening. Heat the pan a little, then wipe it on with a paper towel. It should only be enough to make the pan shiny. If you can see any thickness to what you applied, you put on too much.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

More good advice, thanks. And yeah I do tend use olive oil for everything, this time I'll use a thin coat of veg oil.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You can use whatever fat you want, so just go with something cheap.

Frankly I have no idea why people want to use olive oil all the time for everything.

I blame RR

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like my sansaire will arrive today. I should be able to post a trip report this weekend for anyone looking to get into sous vizzling for cheap.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks like my sansaire will arrive today. I should be able to post a trip report this weekend for anyone looking to get into sous vizzling for cheap.

I still haven't gotten anything :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got mine. Might vizzle with it tonight.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Looking forward to thoughts from yinz guys on it. Always wanted a puddle machine, and 200$ is right in my wheelhouse for one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I told my gal a couple months ago I was just gonna buy a sansaire because $200 why not, and she very explicitly was like DO NOT BUY YOURSELF A PRESENT.

I wonder if she's gonna walk in the door with one soon :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

or if I gotta wait till my burfday in oct :mad:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sever. Unless she bought one for you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing I'm most excited about with the Sansaire is the spring loaded clamp. I get pissed every time I have to screw down the clamp on my Polyscience.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The thing I'm most excited about with the Sansaire is the spring loaded clamp. I get pissed every time I have to screw down the clamp on my Polyscience.

that's actually one thing I was sort of iffy about. what if it got knocked and fell over into your tub of water? I'd hope the whole unit would be at least sort of water-resistant, but...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Out of curiosity - why'd you get the Sansaire? I have a poly pro and can't think of a reason for switching.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Have to do an interview with a person in the medical professions (doctor, nurse, physical therapist, chiropractor, optometrist, dentist, surgeon, veterinarian, etc) that requires some sort of certification for that person to practise. I'd be happy to make it a skype interview so that the person doesn't even have to type anything out, and, I'd record the thing so that I could transcribe it myself. Having trouble finding someone who has the time to do so. Anyone know of a person in that field who'd be willing to chat to me for about 30 minutes or so? It's for a class project, for which I'm eternally hateful, but them's the lumps. It's worth a good 1/4 of my grade, so I could ostensibly pass the class without it, but I don't want to take that kind of chance.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Out of curiosity - why'd you get the Sansaire? I have a poly pro and can't think of a reason for switching.

Because the polyscience is huge. I don't have the one made for sous vizzling, I got the big lab grade one before that existed. I have to use it in the big poly bath because if I put it in a stock pot there's no room for food. Also, I figure it can't hurt to have two when it comes to big meals. Protein in one, veggies in the other.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

that's actually one thing I was sort of iffy about. what if it got knocked and fell over into your tub of water? I'd hope the whole unit would be at least sort of water-resistant, but...

The clip seems to come down pretty far. I'm not sure how it would get knocked off unless you were using a really short pot. I guess I will see.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I've only ever used the PolyScience ones, and then the most interesting use we got for it was using it as a recirculator to power a punch fountain that came out of a creepy clown. I wonder if we have the picture on that...

Just sayin, cambros are cheap and super useful. So is a food-grade bucket. Don't have to do it on your countertop.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I have now is a 25 liter cambro. I want to be able to use it in something smaller.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I find it kinda weird that Maangchi uses it so often for spicy Korean food.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sjurygg posted:

I find it kinda weird that Maangchi uses it so often for spicy Korean food.

I'm not criticizing, people can do whatever they want. It just seems overused or used in places where you won't see it's benefit. Like Korean food.

But Maangchi is pretty cool so whatev. Though I don't recall her using olive oil.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Maangchi owns and it's absolutely hilarious that she's the top search result for basically any korean food word on the English internet.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm not criticizing, people can do whatever they want. It just seems overused or used in places where you won't see it's benefit. Like Korean food.

But Maangchi is pretty cool so whatev. Though I don't recall her using olive oil.

She generally uses vegetable oil, but in cases where the taste of the oil is coming through, like with jeon dishes, she'll use olive oil. She doesn't frequently use olive oil and sesame oil together. If it's olive oil going down, it's because the olive oil is the only fat going in, and you're not having huge spicy things trampling the flavour.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've been using coconut oil recently for Asian food and it's awesome.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

dino. posted:

Have to do an interview with a person in the medical professions (doctor, nurse, physical therapist, chiropractor, optometrist, dentist, surgeon, veterinarian, etc) that requires some sort of certification for that person to practise. I'd be happy to make it a skype interview so that the person doesn't even have to type anything out, and, I'd record the thing so that I could transcribe it myself. Having trouble finding someone who has the time to do so. Anyone know of a person in that field who'd be willing to chat to me for about 30 minutes or so? It's for a class project, for which I'm eternally hateful, but them's the lumps. It's worth a good 1/4 of my grade, so I could ostensibly pass the class without it, but I don't want to take that kind of chance.

Would medical researchers count? My brother and sister-in-law have PHDs in biochemistry and molecular biology, respectively. They both have done cancer research (SIL still is), and she has been all over the world to run medical workshops for post doc research. They are moving to Germany in the next few weeks, so I don't know if they will have the time but if you can use them it can't hurt to ask.

Featured Creature fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 21, 2014

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

dino. posted:

My wife's an EMT and a former vet tech. I don't know if that's medical enough for your class' needs. She's got clinicals for her advanced EMT cert tomorrow (she is a certified EMT already), but I'm sure she could talk to you on Sunday or something if that works for you.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Another good trick for microwave potatoes is:

1. cut them into cubes.
2. place them in a glass bowl and pour a mixture of 2 parts ketchup 1 part water over the entire thing covering the potatoes
3. DO NOT COVER THE BOWL (this will ruin them and create a steam hazard when removing the potatoes from the oven)
4. Microwave on "max" for 55 minutes.

Season as you like. Comes out perfect every time.

Comes out perfect every time.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The Midniter posted:

I think his definition of "perfect" might need some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

how do you get the ketchup off the potatoes after you're done microwaving them? I really don't understand this quick-tip