Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LeJackal posted:

I don't want to confirm this via observation, but I know that with the release of this poster the time until pictures of that raccoon thing loving somebody on that poster appearing on the internet is going to exponentially decrease until it is a mathematical certainty.

Enjoy the internet while you still can.

Rocket Raccoon has been around for thirty years and has a sizable cult following.

It already exists and has for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vintersorg posted:

New Godzilla poster released today via FB. He's loving HUGE.

:stare:

Jesus, I cannot wait to see him stomp on things.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kiimo posted:

I'd never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before this movie. If I see that poster I'm thinking they're seriously trying to sell me a comic book superhero movie with a loving raccoon in it. The "You're Welcome", however, let's me know that it's all kind of in jest and light fare no matter how serious the pose is.

Yeah, I was in the same boat, and was worried that it would take itself way too seriously. The trailer was a lot funnier than I expected and, while at first it might seem like an oddball choice to make a big-budget summer movie out of, I can see people warming to it if they do a good job getting the word out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It feels like goofy fun and the kind of movie where you can't help but grin while watching.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah, I was in the same boat, and was worried that it would take itself way too seriously. The trailer was a lot funnier than I expected and, while at first it might seem like an oddball choice to make a big-budget summer movie out of, I can see people warming to it if they do a good job getting the word out.

Agreed. I like how they're not following the conventional rules for superhero movies. I'm probably going to go see it, especially since I consider Rocket Raccoon as really cool.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare:

Jesus, I cannot wait to see him stomp on things.

Well, Roland Emmerich and Matthew Broderick not being involved with it is a point in its favor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I've been kinda burnt out on superhero movies, especially Marvel movies, for a bit, so I didn't immediately check out the Guardians trailer, but a couple days after I decided "What the hell" and gave it a watch. And now I'm actually super looking forward to it because it looks like it owns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kiimo posted:

I'd never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before this movie. If I see that poster I'm thinking they're seriously trying to sell me a comic book superhero movie with a loving raccoon in it. The "You're Welcome", however, let's me know that it's all kind of in jest and light fare no matter how serious the pose is.

All I knew beforehand was that Karen Gillan (Amy Pond from Doctor Who) was in it.

She's not on the poster, don't worry, you didn't miss her.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

morestuff posted:

The "You're Welcome" tag is a bit strange, but I guess they're selling hard on the whole Space Dicks thing.

Certainly beats Captain America 2's "Eat this poo poo and beg for more, assholes."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

slycooper20 posted:

Agreed. I like how they're not following the conventional rules for superhero movies. I'm probably going to go see it, especially since I consider Rocket Raccoon as really cool.

The level of humour in the trailer is nothing we haven't seen already from Iron Man, and it's not orders of magnitude weirder than Branagh's Thor. The opening of the trailer is a straight up Indiana Jones reference.

People expecting something massively different from comic book/adventure norms may end up pretty disappointed.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I walked by this in the new release section today.

I wondered why it was in the new release because my brain thought it was this until I had a closer look.

It even has the same 3D slip cover.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 21, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

I walked by this in the new release section today.

Look at the arms and how the clothing interacts with the armpit. It's a Poser model.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That tagline doesn't even make sense.

Unless "Skinwalkers" is the name of a town I guess.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Isn't "skinwalker" just the Native American word for "werewolf"? Is this movie about aliens or werewolves? Or alien werewolves?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Aphrodite posted:

That tagline doesn't even make sense.

Unless "Skinwalkers" is the name of a town I guess.

The original was called Skinwalker Ranch and used the same tagline.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess the raccoon has some lines now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Udzfdl2xuw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

I guess the raccoon has some lines now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Udzfdl2xuw

Groot also has some lines.

"I am Groot!" ... and Vin Diesel volunteered to play a character who says nothing else.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Jedit posted:

Groot also has some lines.

"I am Groot!" ... and Vin Diesel volunteered to play a character who says nothing else.

I kinda hope for a small scene wich is just 'I am GROOT!'..."I am groot'...'I am groot?'... 'I am... groot.'

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I kinda hope for a small scene wich is just 'I am GROOT!'..."I am groot'...'I am groot?'... 'I am... groot.'

That's pretty much what I expect: Vin Diesel doing a multitude of variations on a single line.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's a shame it isn't a DC property so we could have him saying "Su-per-man" :unsmith:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I kind of expect the film to accommodate having a name actor in the role and break the whole "he only says 'I am Groot'" rule. Maybe not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slim Killington posted:

I kind of expect the film to accommodate having a name actor in the role and break the whole "he only says 'I am Groot'" rule. Maybe not.

Well his best acting job was when he played a character that did not have that many lines.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Poster for Ti West's The Sacrament.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Well his best acting job was when he played a character that did not have that many lines.

Also Vin has flat out said he only has the one line.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

morestuff posted:

The original was called Skinwalker Ranch and used the same tagline.

Seriously? I hope this was about werewolves overrunning George Lucas's filmmaking compound.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Red_Museum posted:

Is that a Jim Jones movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

He'd probably say that the line has many different tones in the movie and he had to be able to express complex emotions just with his tone of voice. Acting!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

Is that a Jim Jones movie?

Found footage Jim Jones movie, yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Basebf555 posted:

He'd probably say that the line has many different tones in the movie and he had to be able to express complex emotions just with his tone of voice. Acting!

Well, again. Dude's shown himself to be good with that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

That's the one thing I don't like so far about Guardians of the Galaxy, since Vin's voice is awesome. But maybe they'll play around with it a lot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

muscles like this? posted:

While they look weird it should be pointed out that on the right we have Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel and Zoe Saldana.

Yeah, it's probably more marketable than Green Lantern trying to get people excited to see... squid-like alien? Big head alien? The chick from Gossip Girl?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

davidspackage posted:

That's the one thing I don't like so far about Guardians of the Galaxy, since Vin's voice is awesome. But maybe they'll play around with it a lot.

And one line doesn't exclude grunts, laughs, cries of pain, expressions of confusion and what not. It's not like Marcel Marceau in Mel Brooks' Silent Movie.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Red_Museum posted:

Oh, is this the Joe Paterno movie?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Found footage Jim Jones movie, yes.

I find myself asking "is this necessary" and then another part of me argues "why does it need to be" and then the first part of me thinks "no, it really needs to be necessary". I have a problem with the idea of this film and I don't really know why?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Because I like Tarkovsky:

And I had never seen this poster for "The Sacrifice" before:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

echoplex posted:

I find myself asking "is this necessary" and then another part of me argues "why does it need to be" and then the first part of me thinks "no, it really needs to be necessary". I have a problem with the idea of this film and I don't really know why?

Well, he's not ACTUALLY Jim Jones. Frankly it's one of the natural fits for the motif, the three best known things about Jonestown are: TV footage intended for air in the US with creepy poo poo going on in the periphery, the shootout on the airstrip and a 2 hour+ long audio recording of a mass suicide.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Well, he's not ACTUALLY Jim Jones. Frankly it's one of the natural fits for the motif, the three best known things about Jonestown are: TV footage intended for air in the US with creepy poo poo going on in the periphery, the shootout on the airstrip and a 2 hour+ long audio recording of a mass suicide.

Yeah I actually love the idea and I'm a guy who gives the gasface to 99% of found footage out there.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Because I like Tarkovsky:

I can't just stand by and not ruin your day with the German DVD cover

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

I just sort of feel that the footage is already out there - it happened, it was documented, it was very real. Any take on it sensationalises it, and maybe I don't mean 'demeans' it but it does kind of demean it - the audio file out there is full of real, tangible, human emotion, a dramatisation or even a derivative work like this just seems surplus to sum human requirements. It's an odd position to take which I wouldn't normally, but something about this kinda bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I can't just stand by and not ruin your day with the German DVD cover

Oh goddamnit no :barf: