Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

You have no insurance coverage on a race course, which is what this counts as. You're not likely to ever hit anything other than cones, but any damage you do is on you. The club likely has insurance to cover damage to the lot / surrounding items & injuries to people, but other than that you're out of luck.

Autocross is safe though, I've never seen anyone hurt their car by crashing into something, and I've never seen a stock well maintained car have mechanical issues.

Modified cars and poorly maintained ones are another story though.

E: also watching one of our top drivers destroy like 3/4 of field with a Toyota echo where the only modification is tires (Rs3's) is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I've seen a few accidents, and my brother busted the suspension up in my car so it does happen. He over-compensated a slide and snapped the car into a curb bending both lower control arms, and needing to replace most of the front suspension.

It depends on the course - the club I used to go with has small terrible parking lots with light poles, signs, curbs and more often than not completely unaffiliated parked cars within the course

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are unsafe autocross courses out there, but any club that isn't a complete joke will design courses that will keep the cars out of harms way.

That said, accidents do happen and people do find ways to wreck their car at autocross. Some of it is purely mechanical (eg- E36 LCA failure), but the majority of it is drivers trying to be a hero and saving something that they should have gone 2 feet in 10 seconds ago. Nothing is impossible, but people who manage to completely wreck their car at autocross usually are begging for it to happen.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Phone posted:

Some of it is purely mechanical (eg- E36 LCA failure)

always hatin' on those e36s, huh phone

One time, I forgot to make sure that my lugs nuts were secure before an autocross. That could have ended up really nasty. You gotta be hyper-vigilant and make sure everything on your car is in proper roadgoing order before you race it, because that's the surest way to avoid an accident.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

goatse guy posted:

You gotta be hyper-vigilant and make sure everything on your car is in proper roadgoing order before you race it, because that's the surest way to avoid an accident.

This for sure. The week before an autocross I had a new sound system installed in my Miata, and they didn't bolt the battery in tight enough. I didn't notice this of course until the battery rolled during a run and the insulation on the wiring caught fire. It could have been a huge deal that totalled my car, but I got lucky.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

There are unsafe autocross courses out there, but any club that isn't a complete joke will design courses that will keep the cars out of harms way.

That said, accidents do happen and people do find ways to wreck their car at autocross. Some of it is purely mechanical (eg- E36 LCA failure), but the majority of it is drivers trying to be a hero and saving something that they should have gone 2 feet in 10 seconds ago. Nothing is impossible, but people who manage to completely wreck their car at autocross usually are begging for it to happen.

For new people, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this. Every serious accident I've seen (one exception) was with very experienced drivers trying to go faster than they should have.

Corvette through a chain-link fence because he went through a straight finish wide open and stayed on the gas 100' or so beyond where he should have been hard braking.
CP Camaro into a guard rail when the very experienced driver (who wasn't the car owner) piled on the gas instead of the brakes when he started to lose it in a corner (hello 600hp monster).
Similar junk with curbs in a region where the finish went through a narrow 'lane' between curbs and some people had to try for that final thousanths of a second through the lights at a local event.

As far as car wear, the more modified your car is, the more likely you are to break something, as the forces and stresses on the car tend to rise rapidly as you improve suspension and tires. Stock car on road tires shouldn't be an issue.

We have a highly modified '65 Lotus Elan that regularly spits out the drive-line 'donut' thingie, and I've seen a number of old British cars have to be pushed off the course, but then they usually came to the event on a trailer anyway (I'm pretty sure that's to keep all the oil from coming out before they even get to the event).

I've personally broken a half-shaft on course in my old Cobra (again, modified and running race tires), torn the entire cooling system out of the BMW when a fan exploded due to a motor mount bolt dropping out at some unknown point in time prior to that particular run (guest driver dropped the clutch at 5k rpm after being specifically told not to launch it hard - on race tires). I also broke far more parts than I like to think about on the CP Camaro, but again, hugely modified car on 14" wide racing slicks pushing out well over 500hp.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

There's very likely a clause in your insurance that won't cover any damages while participating in anything like autocross. You'll have to consider that if any damages happen, you'll be paying out of pocket.

This goes for health insurance too... I ended up going through an insurance agent who does the top level motorcycle road racers in the US to make sure everything was straight after seeing how many people get stuck with six figure medical bills after track crashes.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Do you pay per event, or just an overall policy for year-round?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Its an overall policy year round through Aetna. Seems like most medical policies exclude poo poo that happens on a race track - maybe not so much a worry for car people but for motorcycles crashes literally happen at every trackday/race weekend. Eventually my number will come up and I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life if the worst (financially, not life wise) should happen.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 21, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
We have had newbies almost total cars, but unfortunately we can't really make the safest possible courses due to awful venues.

The first one was a floor mat problem. They got lax with tech inspections because of the number of cars at that event and a 280z with a v8 got the mat jammed in the throttle pedal. Luckily he was smart enough to go both feet in and right to neutral, but a powerful car can very quickly go off course. Another second and it would have been in a big ditch.

Second problem was a new guy in an FRS on the stock tires trying to hold a drift after a long sweeper. We run events on a local speedway and he almost put himself into the pit wall.

We've also had people hit runway lights but that is from overdriving and trying to hold it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

Spoke to some in the know today regarding Snokhana, looking for a date really close to March 1st.

Any updates?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

shoophobo posted:

Hey guys,

So there is a SCCA Solo Novice School event this Saturday at the local High School.
I have never done anything like this before, but I enjoy driving and always wanted to try something like this.
I drive a new, bone stock 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring, AT.
Any tips besides emptying my car of all my crap and the other stuff that was in the OP?

Also I took a look at the Attendee List, which featured Miatas, Porsches, Nissan Z's, GT-R's and BMWs. Is this typical for a Novice event? I don't really care about wining or anything, just want some weekend fun, but I was expecting Civics and Camrys, not GT-R's and Porsches.

I was there instructing. How'd you enjoy the event? I was jealous of all he seat time you guys got. Anyway, here's my best run from Sunday. Good for 12th over all (out of 80-90 or so) and 3rd in street class. http://youtu.be/wNsMxjfG3SI

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

GOD IS BED posted:

Disable any driving assists you can (ABS if possible)

This is terrible advice, double terrible to a novice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

animeliker posted:

Any updates?

gently caress. I forgot about this thread. It sold out in less than 24 hours when it was officially announced a week or two ago. It's this Saturday.

It was only posted on the TSC forums. :(

Looks like you should watch this subforum though: https://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/snokhana-2014-march-1st-huntsville/

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

FatCow posted:

I would leave the ABS alone, but you should certainly disable all other traction and stability control nannies.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

ABS is nice to have. I could probably threshold brake a little better at this point, but being able to go into a corner and not have to worry about it (leaving me to focus on everything else) most certainly results in a faster time.

The other nannies... I'd leave them on until they prevent you from doing what you're trying to do. For example the FRS/BRZ traction control is immediately turned off as it's aggressive and means the back won't slide, and immediately kills the power. I've driven one or two cars where I didn't realize it was on despite a little bit of sliding though, so it really depends on the car in question.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I know BMW traction control up to e46 is pretty intrusive and noticeably hurt times in my 330 and m3. I like ABS, my old 328 had none due to electronic issues and it was hairy at the track. Locking up in a downhill, late apex corner with little runoff was always a reality check for me.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Sadi posted:

I was there instructing. How'd you enjoy the event? I was jealous of all he seat time you guys got. Anyway, here's my best run from Sunday. Good for 12th over all (out of 80-90 or so) and 3rd in street class. http://youtu.be/wNsMxjfG3SI

shoophobo posted:

Oh, and I only say "if" because I might have to make a emergency trip, my mom is ill and I may have to drive home to visit if she gets worse.

Yeah I was not able to go, had to drive up state to visit my mom. :(
That video was pretty cool. Thanks for posting it!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

gently caress. I forgot about this thread. It sold out in less than 24 hours when it was officially announced a week or two ago. It's this Saturday.

It was only posted on the TSC forums. :(

Looks like you should watch this subforum though: https://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/snokhana-2014-march-1st-huntsville/

No worries. April is close anyway.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

FatCow posted:

I was just repeating the advice given to me as a novice 2 years ago. Learning to threshold brake instead of relying on the ABS worked well for me, so YMMV.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GOD IS BED posted:

I was just repeating the advice given to me as a novice 2 years ago. Learning to threshold brake instead of relying on the ABS worked well for me, so YMMV.

From what I understand isn't it still possible to Threshold brake even with ABS equipped? Unless I was taught wrong or misinterpreted information. I was told you need to brake just before the ABS kicks in. I can't do it consistently yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless you have an absolute garbage ABS system, trying to brake hard but not so hard that you engage ABS is making you slower. Threshold braking is going to involve some amount of wheel slip / lockup, and that's going to engage ABS.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
As I understand it, the threshold that you brake on can be either the moment ABS kicks in, or the moment the tires lose grip. I understood the ABS would kick on before the tires lost grip, so if you can brake harder than the ABS without locking the wheels, you will brake harder and be faster.
That said, I am still very much an amateur and the traction control and ABS are linked in my MX5, thus my advice. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

e: ^^^ cool, sounds like I'm not a complete dummy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless you have an absolute garbage ABS system, trying to brake hard but not so hard that you engage ABS is making you slower. Threshold braking is going to involve some amount of wheel slip / lockup, and that's going to engage ABS.

I engage the ABS quite a bit so I thought I needed to hone my technique.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Leave ABS on, he's not going to be Schumacher for his first event.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 27, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

animeliker posted:

I engage the ABS quite a bit so I thought I needed to hone my technique.

Unless you're really good at threshold braking, just stand on the pedal and let ABS do the work for you. If you are really good at (or are trying to get better at) threshold braking, you need to disable it altogether so that you're not fighting it. ABS only works best when you keep your foot down hard on the brake; trying to threshold brake with it is going to hurt you.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Threshold braking does not involve lockup, if you've locked up the tire you've gone to dynamic friction and hosed up. Then you have to let off the brake to get the wheel rolling again and get back on the brake up to the threshold point. ABS will do nothing except prevent you from turning round tires into square tires.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Thinking about swerving through some comes this Sunday; maybe even drag my brother along. Any goons gonna be there? It would greatly influence my decision-making :getin:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Any good iPhone autocross apps? Something to record video and overlay odb2 data? I'm going to my frirst national level event in college station this month and finally wanted to get something to record the occasion.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

Thinking about swerving through some comes this Sunday; maybe even drag my brother along. Any goons gonna be there? It would greatly influence my decision-making :getin:

I don't plan on going (sort of on a break right now), and the only other goon from the area I know of usually sticks to the events in Marana.

Don't let lack of goons keep you from attending though, the Phoenix group runs a good event, and they'll make you welcome, just let them know you are new and maybe ask for an instructor to ride along with you for your first run(s).

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I'm not new to AutoX, just this area. I do want to make sure though, do they lend out helmets?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

I'm not new to AutoX, just this area. I do want to make sure though, do they lend out helmets?

Yes, and they are actually semi-new, we had to replace all of them about 1-1/2, 2 years ago. Should have 4-5 of each size.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Looking for some tire advice,

I plan on autocrossing my Yaris this year and want to buy a set of dedicated tires. I'm not trying to be competitive and I'm not too concerned about classing I just want to get some seat time for as cheap as possible.

I've already picked up a set of 15x6.5 Konig Heliums, here are my my current tire choices, all 205/50-15's

Falken RT-615K: $364
Federal RS-R: $368
Kumho Ecsta XS: $396

A lot of local guys say the Azenis are junk, and the RS-R's don't have a ton of info available, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the Falkens and the Kumhos would be through discount tire, is heat cycling worth it for the extra $60?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If you don't care about being competitive don't worry about heat cycling. The XSs are fast if it's dry, and scary as poo poo if it's wet.

Dunlop ZIIs are $386.00 after rebate on Tire Rack.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Should have mentioned, those prices are after shipping.

I'm Canadian, so the mail in rebates don't apply, ZII's end up being $506.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

OneStopShop posted:

is heat cycling worth it for the extra $60?

Absolutely no.

For a pure race tire, if you are going to Nationals and want that extra 0.05%, maybe. For a street tire? gently caress no.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I had 615s years back and they worked really well for me. I guess the formulation could have changed pretty radically in the intervening years but at the timeI thought they were pretty well regarded as far as cheap performance was concerned. Mine gripped very well, wore well (I did rotate like a fiend) and even broke away pretty progressively. Again that may have all changed but they were pretty drat good when I had them.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had no problems with 615s. Or the -K. They were OK in the wet. I don't remember them being stellar. Big tread blocks and all.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I never had too much trouble in the wet with them. There might be better performers but they certainly weren't sketchy at all. In fact I was pleasantly surprised at how well they gripped on a particularly wet track day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Can someone please explain to me why adding a pedal cover knocks you into Street Touring category?

• Locked thread