Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cheers for the recommendations. I'll check out Dark Medieval Times because I've heard of that album before...

I probably should've been more specific: What stuff are they likely to play live that I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Sab669 posted:

Sonata Arctica put up a song off their new album out later next month;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGp0kms-GEk The Wolves Die Young

Looks like it'll be another mediocre-as-gently caress album :(

I should probably hand over my metal head badge for saying this, but I kind of like it :shobon:.

Then again, I'm saying this as someone who has followed SA since his teenage years and constantly expects them to get back to their Reckoning Night style with every album. Anything by them sounds okay when compared to Shitload of Money or I Have a Right.

Anyway, to make up for being the resident Sonata Arctica apologist, have some rare live Mithotyn (apparently with Thyrfing headbanging in the front row)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mtqj1DIaiA&sns=em

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I came across one of the more embarrassing music videos I've seen in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd9FVBvEWHI

Have fun.

(my favourite is that big-rear end USB symbol totally mystic and arcane sigil on the floor.)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Eh, it was pretty embarrassing but looks like they had fun with it. Take my opinion for what it's worth, I love stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW30Q4B3Go

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If time machines ever come to fruition I want to go back and show George Marshall a bunch of power metal videos because I have a hunch he wouldn't have been so gung ho about rebuilding Europe if he knew what would come of it.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Sounds like something Zargotrhax would say.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
For what it's worth, Gloryhammer are sort of taking the piss.

THE UNICORN INVASION OF DUNDEE

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Listened to Mutulation Rites for the first time today. That....that was intense.

In other news my son destroyed my headphones and I need a new pair. Is there anything good for under 150 that metal sounds good on ? Since I listen on my iPhone I'm looking at a Koss Portapro or Sennheiser PX100-ii.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50s are probably the best headphones under $300, and they're $125ish.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

rxcowboy posted:

Listened to Mutulation Rites for the first time today. That....that was intense.

In other news my son destroyed my headphones and I need a new pair. Is there anything good for under 150 that metal sounds good on ? Since I listen on my iPhone I'm looking at a Koss Portapro or Sennheiser PX100-ii.

gently caress yeah. This is my favorite one by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22u4rw1F9mM

Seeing them tonight with Full of Hell it should be fairly loving awesome.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50s are probably the best headphones under $300, and they're $125ish.
There aren't even words to describe how loving good these headphones are for the money. The only problem with them is that they came out after I had already dumped $200+ on a pair of ATH-A900s.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Do they have decent bass? I know metal isn't that bass heavy but I loving hate headphones where there isn't enough base and everything sounds cold and anemic.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

rxcowboy posted:

Do they have decent bass? I know metal isn't that bass heavy but I loving hate headphones where there isn't enough base and everything sounds cold and anemic.
If anything, the bass on the M50s is maybe a tiny bit too punchy for some subtler types of music, but it's a great fit for metal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

By the way, is there some historical significance to "bang your head against the stage"? I haven't really listened to Metallica in years so I never noticed, but it pops up in both Metallica's "Whiplash" and Exodus's "Bonded by Blood" so I was wondering if there was some undercurrent I missed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it's just a general command related to headbanging. Songs about metal tend to use a lot of cliches.

Also Kirk Hammett was in Exodus before Metallica poached him, and Bonded By Blood was a long-delayed debut. They might have written the title track before he left.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Eh, it was pretty embarrassing but looks like they had fun with it. Take my opinion for what it's worth, I love stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW30Q4B3Go
What Gamma Nerd said. Gloryhammer are just taking a big piss all over this kind of cheese metal, and on the side kinda casually being better at it than most. I didn't get that kind of tongue-in-cheek vibe from the Messenger video.

To be honest though, now that I'm watching it again with all this in mind, I'm seeing it a bit differently.

The USB symbol is still killing me, though. :v:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Misogynist posted:

By the way, is there some historical significance to "bang your head against the stage"?

"be in the front row and show us you're alive while we're up here"

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Apparently Electrocution, the guys who released the classic death metal album Inside the Unreal like 20 years ago, have reunited and are back in studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdg3ugg-So

Seems like they've got the cool thrashy riffs part down. I mean, it's a reunion, so things will likely go pear-shaped, but whatever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

rxcowboy posted:

I've had a pair of Grado SR60s for like 8 years and they're still great. I'm sure they have an updated model.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Yo metal thread, a year and a half ago I posted a thread advertising my prog metal band Existem's full-length. Some people liked it so I thought I'd let you know we put up a new EP a couple days ago for free. Check it out here.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

rxcowboy posted:

Sennheisers are known for being warm sounding, though not super bass heavy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

"be in the front row and show us you're alive while we're up here"
I get the sentiment, I was just wondering if there was something special about that particular phrase that made it appear verbatim in two different bands' songs a couple of years apart (other than the fact that they were all buds from the same scene).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Misogynist posted:

By the way, is there some historical significance to "bang your head against the stage"? I haven't really listened to Metallica in years so I never noticed, but it pops up in both Metallica's "Whiplash" and Exodus's "Bonded by Blood" so I was wondering if there was some undercurrent I missed.

It's just something you loving do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOX5rNacD5E

Bang your head forever.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Oh man, I found this in the related videos. It was ... interesting ... or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwhPOlIuSXM

Prime gif material, though.

(p.s. I liked it)

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Yo metal thread, a year and a half ago I posted a thread advertising my prog metal band Existem's full-length. Some people liked it so I thought I'd let you know we put up a new EP a couple days ago for free. Check it out here.

Hell yeah I liked it! Truth be told I mostly listen to the first two tracks, now, and they are awesome. Bought your first album, and the new EP but I haven't had a chance to listen to it all that much yet, except for Epitaph. It's good, buuuut, what's up with the "rise up, rise up, HEEEEEEY" at 4:40 of Epitaph?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sigh totally fell out of my head for a few years, just found In Somniphobia and gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9cSiwyU6so

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

Cheers for the recommendations. I'll check out Dark Medieval Times because I've heard of that album before...

I probably should've been more specific: What stuff are they likely to play live that I should check out?

Unfortunately they act like their first four albums (the ones that are good) don't exist.

This would be an incredible concert:

Walk the Path of Sorrow
Dark Medieval Times
Hvite Krists Dod
Woods to Eternity
Dominions of Satyricon
Mother North
Du Som Hater Gud
Immortality Passion

Sadly, this is what you will get:

Fuel for Hatred
Now, Diabolical
K.I.N.G.
A New Enemy
Black Crow on a Tombstone
Tro og Kraft
Our World, It Rumbles Tonight
Nekrohaven

And then somewhere near the end they'll play Mother North as their one, lonely tribute to the fact that they were once amazing and relevant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Sigh totally fell out of my head for a few years, just found In Somniphobia and gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9cSiwyU6so

In Somniphobia is good but it's firmly in the middle of the pack for their discography. I was also really loving the direction on Hangman's Hymn and Scenes From Hell, but I understand that Sigh doing three albums of a similar style in a row would be far beyond expectations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I've had The Tomb Awaits from Entrails for a while but never listened to it. Goddamn it's a good album. It's retro death without being too by the numbers and boring. I like it, going to throw it into the gym rotation.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Unfortunately they act like their first four albums (the ones that are good) don't exist.

This would be an incredible concert:

Walk the Path of Sorrow
Dark Medieval Times
Hvite Krists Dod
Woods to Eternity
Dominions of Satyricon
Mother North
Du Som Hater Gud
Immortality Passion

Sadly, this is what you will get:

Fuel for Hatred
Now, Diabolical
K.I.N.G.
A New Enemy
Black Crow on a Tombstone
Tro og Kraft
Our World, It Rumbles Tonight
Nekrohaven

And then somewhere near the end they'll play Mother North as their one, lonely tribute to the fact that they were once amazing and relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQdsKH3Qt8

All I can say is Wow. From Black Metal to that?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seeing Satyricon on a bill with Amon Amarth, Gwar and Black Dahlia murder next week in Melbourne. Last time I saw them was years ago, not sure what to expect this time round, not a fan of the newer albums so much but Satyr is a weirdo these days so I'm hoping he does something weird to entertain me.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

So Mayhem has a new single coming out in April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8e3d6h_a4

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Nordick posted:

I came across one of the more embarrassing music videos I've seen in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd9FVBvEWHI

Have fun.

(my favourite is that big-rear end USB symbol totally mystic and arcane sigil on the floor.)

This sucks because See You In Hell is a pretty great power metal meets buttrock album. More bands need to rip off Dream Evil is basically what I'm saying.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Seeing Satyricon on a bill with Amon Amarth, Gwar and Black Dahlia murder next week in Melbourne. Last time I saw them was years ago, not sure what to expect this time round, not a fan of the newer albums so much but Satyr is a weirdo these days so I'm hoping he does something weird to entertain me.

I saw them somewhere around 2006 and they played a 50% old stuff and 50% new stuff and I had the time of my life. I saw them again in maybe 2010 or so, and they played 95% new stuff.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

I'm going to that show as well. That's why I'm asking :). I'm a big fan of Amon Amarth, Gwar will be fun, Black Dahlia I can't stand, but I know nothing about Satyricon.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Satyr still puts on a good show at least. I saw them maybe 4 years ago with Cradle of Filth (lol) and Nachtmystium I think, and I wasn't disappointed. Would it have been cool to see "Forhekset" or "Du som hater gud"? Yeah totally. But I still had fun.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm going to that show as well. That's why I'm asking :). I'm a big fan of Amon Amarth, Gwar will be fun, Black Dahlia I can't stand, but I know nothing about Satyricon.

I don't understand the dislike of the Black Dahlia Murder in this thread.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 22, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How about a deep dislike of both?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

cryme posted:

How about a deep dislike of both?

I'm not a big fan of Amon Amarth at all. I think the drumming on their latest album is pretty terrible and in certain parts has standard pop music beats in it, I nearly drove off the road when I was listening to it. Are they just really fun live?

I faintly remember liking With Oden On Our Side, but really nothing else they've done.

I love the latest Soilwork though, and I can imagine a lot of people hating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They're one of the blandest and most derivative bands in extreme metal yet are somehow one of the most popular.