Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Toad on a Hat posted:

Wait what? Where was this?

One of the houses has an imp who says he's going to turn your game off for barging into your house, then it blanks the screen and mutes it for a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Titanfall Beta was pretty good but you can wall run FOREVER!

Haruharuharuko has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Feb 22, 2014

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kirbysuperstar posted:

One of the houses has an imp who says he's going to turn your game off for barging into your house, then it blanks the screen and mutes it for a few seconds.

I must have missed this somehow, or I don't remember it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

Titanfall Beta was pretty good but you can wall run FOREVER!

seems less like a glitch, more a thing people would just do in the future with Rad Super Parkour

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Toad on a Hat posted:

I must have missed this somehow, or I don't remember it

I put it on him to post a gif or a link to a video, because I am calling bullshit on that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I put it on him to post a gif or a link to a video, because I am calling bullshit on that.

I'll see what I can do, depends on how fast I can get to Medina, I guess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell there was one half-way through Chrono Trigger, in the monster town.

If you keep doing things to piss off a particular NPC in Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, he does the same thing.

Banjo-Kazooie threatens it too if you use too many cheats to bypass in-game obstacles, but they're not bluffing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
EDIT: gently caress, the forums bugged out for a moment there. Content, uhm...

The Crooked Cartridge trick was kind of neat for N64 games. By easing out one side of the cartridge, you could cause all manner of fun glitches.

Mario 64 gets possessed by demons.

For Goldeneye, it causes breakdancing, which resulted in the 'Get Down' meme on the Japanese corners of the internet.

Ocarina of Time had the most interesting repercussions, though. On top of just freaking the gently caress out in general, it also removed boundaries that would otherwise be there. That meant that people could bypass the 'do you have a sword' check or the 'have you beaten the Deku Tree' check in Kokiri forest, allowing them to pass into the rest of the game without a sword. It was the least safe yet most 'reliable' way to cause a Swordless Link situation (I believe there were two other ways to go around swordless, but they were fixed in later versions; the cartridge tilting wasn't), wich had its own fun quirks.

Completing a Zelda game without your sword is loving hard, as you might imagine. But if you at least get far enough to get Epona, you get the bonus that, for some reason, you can now use any of your weapons on horseback. Which had its own amount of fun.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Feb 22, 2014

Reive
May 21, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Completing a Zelda game without your sword is loving hard
Not if you use the unbreakable deku stick glitch :smug:

Big Slick
Jul 27, 2004
Dreamed I Killed God...

Reive posted:

Not if you use the unbreakable deku stick glitch :smug:

Awhile back these guys used that glitch and another one which I still cant really fathom, and beat Ocarina of Time in under 23 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7IINwTFVw

Reive
May 21, 2009

Big Slick posted:

Awhile back these guys used that glitch and another one which I still cant really fathom, and beat Ocarina of Time in under 23 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7IINwTFVw

The infinite sword glitch, I didn't know it worked with deku sticks until I saw them do it, or how their new version of it works, how it used to go was you'd do a stab attack by a sign and then read the sign before the attack finished, it'd get stuck in a 'damage' phase so you could walk into things and they'd die by a flurry of infinite imperceptible sword swipes :black101:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Big Slick posted:

Oh my god, that is amazing. That's my new favorite speedrun. I think my favorite part is the appearance of the Ocarina Items glitch, because thinking back that was one of my old 'party trick' glitches when I was in school.

Does anyone know of any other speedruns like that? Just using a bunch of different, completely unrelated bugs discovered throughout the years to completely break the game juuuuuust right?

EDIT: I bet there's enough good ones for a 'PYF Speedruns' thread, actually.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Here people sometimes post new glitches that can be used in speedrunning.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Cleretic posted:

Oh my god, that is amazing. That's my new favorite speedrun. I think my favorite part is the appearance of the Ocarina Items glitch, because thinking back that was one of my old 'party trick' glitches when I was in school.

Does anyone know of any other speedruns like that? Just using a bunch of different, completely unrelated bugs discovered throughout the years to completely break the game juuuuuust right?

He beat that run by a good amount.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3HT0--ieUY
Cosmo is amazing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

The fun thing is that OI is only used to pause the blue warp animation. OI has a ton of other uses (warping inside dungeons, skipping ocarina entirely, prolong switches), but here it just gives you a "Cancel" button to get out of the cutscene.

Cleretic posted:

Twilight Princess has a long chain of dumb events. You skip the intro by glitching through the gate, which means that you have to do Sword & Shield skip, which is the most loving annoying skip in the game since it requires enemy manipulation and precise movements, and you have to restart if you fail it once. And then you get the master sword early, which should be awesome, but for some reason the game won't now let you wrestle with the Gorons, so you have to skip that dungeon. So you have to do another gate clip to get into Lanayru. But since you don't have the water bombs, you can't get into Lakebed Temple. Don't worry, though, you can simply abuse the fact that there's some platforms in the dark world to do a Rupee dive off of, and then get into Lakebed temple that way. But then there's pillars that are supposed to require bomb arrows. But oh no, you don't have the Zora armor, so you drown in the tunnel. Oh, if you save and quit, the game puts you past that corridor, OK. But now the game has some pillars that require bombs / bomb arrows, oh no! Don't worry, just do some incredibly precise crazy jump that requires enemy manip that must have taken me around 800 attempts to do correctly, no worry. Oh no, but now the game requires bombs for real! So, grab Ooccoo, and use him to steal the Lent Bomb Bag. Now you can use a combination of the boomerang and bombs to emulate bomb arrows. But that only works as survives if you don't save and quit, so use the temporary bomb bag you just got to steal a real bomb bag in Zora's Cavern. Phew. But now you don't have Zora Armor, and you have to beat Morpheel without it using a combination of reflexes, tricks to refill your air, and dumb luck, as Morpheel is 100% RNG. My failed attempts are here.

So it's just like OOT, but the other way around: every time you skip something, the game invents a new way of dicking you over and you have to trick it again.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Cleretic posted:

If you don't know about Tool-assisted speedruns, you are missing out my friend. I recommend starting with the heavy glitch abuse category and finding a game from your childhood that you're very familiar with or could never beat, then watching someone completely dominate it. It's oddly cathartic.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDKDbUEeYWE

Best underrated TAS.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

If you don't know about Tool-assisted speedruns, you are missing out my friend. I recommend starting with the heavy glitch abuse category and finding a game from your childhood that you're very familiar with or could never beat, then watching someone completely dominate it. It's oddly cathartic.

From that page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM41Q_Kc9HU

Holy poo poo this is one of the most hilarious glitch runs I've ever seen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I imagine you've seen the mario world "Executes Arbitrary Code" run?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Castlevania: SOTN is the greatest speedgame for this reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpfaAqzjRUY

And A Link Between Worlds is getting there. You skip getting gloves to pick up rocks by having a bird bump you into Death Mountain, get the Tornado Rod early, mess up cutscenes in hilarious ways, skip a trial, a boss fight, and a dungeon, and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Castlevania: SOTN is the greatest speedgame for this reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpfaAqzjRUY
Yeah, but this guy's voice is so unbearable.

AQUAMOLE DRACULA

Why can't he just give us the game audio without wagging his neckbearded chins like every other speedrunner?

Reive
May 21, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, but this guy's voice is so unbearable.

AQUAMOLE DRACULA

Why can't he just give us the game audio without wagging his neckbearded chins like every other speedrunner?

Speedrunners always sound weird when they stream alone I've noticed, Romscout in particular is pretty bad there, on the other hand he's one of my favorites when he's on A/SGDQ
Starts at 18min:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdfDjKpOp8

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
I just got done whining about some bad glitches in Deadly Premonition, and I felt for the sake of balance that I should share one funny one. During the intro to one side-quest (the third Storage Room cleanup minigame), York is supposed to sigh and explain to Lilly that he came to solve a murder, not clean up her storage, and ask if she understands the difference. Instead, York began sighing and mumbling in an infinite loop. Lilly's insane demands finally broke Special Agent Francis York Morgan (call him York; everyone else does) to the point where he could no longer muster the will to speak.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Playing through the new Tomb Raider and had a glitch while trying to solving an environmental puzzle. Lara became stuck and said "Dammit!". I guess she was really upset because "Dammit!" kept looping endlessly.

It stopped when paused, but resumed when unpaused. "Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!". It continued even after solving the puzzle. "Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!". Lara finally stopped once she left the room and triggered a cutscene.

This audio glitch can also take hold of the music, which gets stuck in small loops every so often.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pity she didn't end up saying "Dammit!" for the rest of the game. Like the video of the guy playing Heavy Rain where the main character just keeps yelling "Shaun!" for the entire endgame.

I cannot watch that clip without totally losing my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Thanks. drat, that's some nostalgia. I spent so much time as a kid playing Hocus Pocus and this guy beats an entire episode in thirteen minutes.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I cannot watch that clip without totally losing my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Pretty much one of the funniest glitch videos ever.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 12:14 on Feb 24, 2014

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

I know it's an old post, but holy christ this was hilarious.
And the music gave me a HUGE nostalgia trip, although I can't for my life remember where it was featured. It must have been a comedy sketch, movie or something. Does anyone know?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: gently caress, the forums bugged out for a moment there. Content, uhm...

The Crooked Cartridge trick was kind of neat for N64 games. By easing out one side of the cartridge, you could cause all manner of fun glitches.

Mario 64 gets possessed by demons.

For Goldeneye, it causes breakdancing, which resulted in the 'Get Down' meme on the Japanese corners of the internet.

Ocarina of Time had the most interesting repercussions, though. On top of just freaking the gently caress out in general, it also removed boundaries that would otherwise be there. That meant that people could bypass the 'do you have a sword' check or the 'have you beaten the Deku Tree' check in Kokiri forest, allowing them to pass into the rest of the game without a sword. It was the least safe yet most 'reliable' way to cause a Swordless Link situation (I believe there were two other ways to go around swordless, but they were fixed in later versions; the cartridge tilting wasn't), wich had its own fun quirks.

Completing a Zelda game without your sword is loving hard, as you might imagine. But if you at least get far enough to get Epona, you get the bonus that, for some reason, you can now use any of your weapons on horseback. Which had its own amount of fun.

On a similar note, corruptions are pretty hilarious, like this N64 Sesame Street game.

"Hey! Guess what?-- BLARGAHRLAHFIAJRLKFGHALGIASNC" :gonk:

[e]: Technically not a glitch video, but this Sims 3 Sanic video made me laugh so hard I started crying and my face hurt.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Feb 24, 2014

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Stalins Moustache posted:

I know it's an old post, but holy christ this was hilarious.
And the music gave me a HUGE nostalgia trip, although I can't for my life remember where it was featured. It must have been a comedy sketch, movie or something. Does anyone know?

It was used as party boy's theme in jackass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SEOguApssc

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Overminty posted:

It was used as party boy's theme in jackass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SEOguApssc

Christ I haven't seen the first Jackass movie since I was like 11 or 12 :psyduck:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

TheRamblingSoul posted:

[e]: Technically not a glitch video, but this Sims 3 Sanic video made me laugh so hard I started crying and my face hurt.

Bahaha holy poo poo that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The glitch thread has, um, glitched.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

These are the two best TAS/glitch runs ever and anyone who argues otherwise is an idiot and a blasphemer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4ib8d59sg

you won't be able to hear "oh no" without thinking "OWN GOAL?!?" ever again, you have been warned. one two one two one two...

tony police has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Feb 25, 2014

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

"Elephant turd poncho" will sometimes pop into my head at random times and make me crack up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dash O Pepper posted:

These are the two best TAS/glitch runs ever and anyone who argues otherwise is an idiot and a blasphemer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4ib8d59sg

you won't be able to hear "oh no" without thinking "OWN GOAL?!?" ever again, you have been warned. one two one two one two...

Why is there a dog on the field in the soccer one?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RatHat posted:

Why is there a dog on the field in the soccer one?

There's an option in that game to make the refs be dogs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Scoreless soccer games are so boring, just another 0-0 snoozefest :v:

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Mar 2, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Soccer and football games are my favorite glitch sources, because they always have such realistic graphics. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Man flopping has just gotten out of control lately.