Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Lurdiak posted:

Man, the FF are not my favorite hero team and the last two Fox movies were heinously bad, but that kinda makes me wanna go see it just out of principle.

I never liked FF much until I read Hickman's run on it.

mr.capps posted:

Marvel, please give me a black Galatacus. Thank you, that will be all.

Already been done.

http://m.adultswim.com/video/minoriteam/behold-balactus-part-1.html

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

sleepingbuddha posted:

I never liked FF much until I read Hickman's run on it.

Then you should really go track down Waid's run ASAP.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

I am mostly curious as to how the FF movie is going to play out because as somebody brought up in the thread forever ago what little personality Johnny Storm's has is being a lazy underachieving responsibility shirking hotheaded idiot i.e. an 80's movie black guy stereotype.

this is why I would really have preferred that, if they were open to casting a black actor as one of the Four, it had been Reed, Sue or Ben (incidentally, Michael B. Jordan has the range to play any of those parts - even Sue if someone got really wild and gender-flipped the lineup). Black Johnny wouldn't really go against the grain of Hollywood typecasting, if the comics character weren't white.

But I still think this is a good step forward. Trank probably knows well enough to avoid combining the worst iterations of Johnny's character with a controversial casting decision. We'll probably get a hot-headed but heroic take.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PupsOfWar posted:

this is why I would really have preferred that, if they were open to casting a black actor as one of the Four, it had been Reed, Sue or Ben

That would be even worse. The one black guy gets covered in orange rocks and also being the big intimidating guy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mr.capps posted:

Marvel, please give me a black Galatacus. Thank you, that will be all.

Fear of a Black Planet Eater

fatherboxx posted:

(sorry for Cracked)

I'm not saying there aren't problems with black leads in superhero movies but this just seems to cherry pick a starting date where they didn't have to put Wesley Snipes or Halle Berry on it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Well, you can start at 2008 as the ground zero for the modern age of superhero movies, would not make it any less depressing. A telling streak either way.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's cool that Michael Jordan got the part, but keeping sue white just makes it seem like tokenism rather than any real step forward. It's like, yeah, you admit that black people watch movies, but you still think people can't handle an interracial relationship. Personally I think a mulatto franklin richards would be adorable.

I didn't know that about Heimdall and Sif, but it DOES bother me now that I do.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

muscles like this? posted:

Fear of a Black Planet Eater

I'm not saying there aren't problems with black leads in superhero movies but this just seems to cherry pick a starting date where they didn't have to put Wesley Snipes or Halle Berry on it.

I was halfway through a response mentioning the "single character" bit when I remembered Catwoman.

You made me remember Catwoman existed. You monster.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 23, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

404GoonNotFound posted:

You made me remember Catwoman existed. You monster.

Hey at least he didn't link the basketball scene.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ignite Memories posted:

It's cool that Michael Jordan got the part, but keeping sue white just makes it seem like tokenism rather than any real step forward. It's like, yeah, you admit that black people watch movies, but you still think people can't handle an interracial relationship. Personally I think a mulatto franklin richards would be adorable.

I didn't know that about Heimdall and Sif, but it DOES bother me now that I do.

It's also that a black Sue would make fully half the leads black, which would mean that audiences might perceive it as a "black" movie rather than a general-audience superhero film. Sad but true.

"True" strictly in the sense that people in Hollywood actually think this way, mind you.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
I can't believe people in this thread are upset an actor who is black is playing a character. How loving trivial can you get?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think its necessarily wrong to be upset that a casting decision doesn't line up with past depictions or one's own mental image of a character. It only becomes skeevy when you try to project that forward as being anything other than your own personal hangup.

Edit: the problem isn't so much that Johnny Storm is black, it's that he's different from what was expected based on prior depictions. If anyone is actually upset solely because the actor chosen is African American, yeah, gently caress 'em.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 23, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've never seen this before and I hate you now

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I might have mentioned this once or twice in this thread before, but Halle Berry is the worst thing that has ever happened.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I might have mentioned this once or twice in this thread before, but Halle Berry is the worst thing that has ever happened.
That could have been loving Meryl Streep and Sidney Potier in that scene and it would still be awful.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

That could have been loving Meryl Streep and Sidney Potier in that scene and it would still be awful.

yeah, that's kind of the catwoman analog to the Playground Kung-Fu Battle in Daredevil, where there is literally nobody who could have salvaged the script's ridiculousness in that moment

though I do love how many directors like to use a basketball scene to establish that their hero is transcending ~street cred~ or whatever but don't understand how basketball works

"ey Peter that's a travel,"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 23, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah how could you see that thing and think Halle Berry is the problem, instead of literally everything being the problem.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

what the poo poo was that

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counterpoint: Meryl Streep and Sidney Poitier would be hilarious and I'd love to see that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

prezbuluskey posted:

I can't believe people in this thread are upset an actor who is black is playing a character. How loving trivial can you get?

Calm down, almost nobody in the thread actively thinks it's wrong except one person we all immediately ridiculed. I just think they should have made Sue black, too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

theflyingorc posted:

Calm down, almost nobody in the thread actively thinks it's wrong except one person we all immediately ridiculed. I just think they should have made Sue black, too.

Nobody in this thread actively thinks it's wrong, dude couldn't be more obvious with his trolling if he tried.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Film companies should take a cue from Sleepy Hollow, it's got a gigantic fan following, it killed in the ratings, half the cast is black, and even has one Asian in a supporting role. And it's already been guaranteed renewal for a new season.

It's also an intelligently written-yet-batshit-insane TV show. Sometimes I wonder if the thinking at most film studios is 'if we put in too many people of color it won't do well in the South' bullshit.

And for me personally, I thought Idris Elba made a great Heimdall in Thor & Thor 2.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 23, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think its interesting that the current X-men book has a team that is 100% women and most are non-white; Storm, Omega Sentinel, Monet, Jubilee. Pyslock is drawn Asian, but I'm pretty sure that's just how the artists draw her and she's still the sister of a blond haired blue eyed Captain Britain.

Cap 2 is good because you have Falcon, which is admittedly a lame character in the comics into a complete bad rear end.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

twistedmentat posted:

I think its interesting that the current X-men book has a team that is 100% women and most are non-white; Storm, Omega Sentinel, Monet, Jubilee. Pyslock is drawn Asian, but I'm pretty sure that's just how the artists draw her and she's still the sister of a blond haired blue eyed Captain Britain.

Cap 2 is good because you have Falcon, which is admittedly a lame character in the comics into a complete bad rear end.

Psylocke's mind was put into the body of an Asian ninja; she was born blonde haired and blue eyed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sefer posted:

Psylocke's mind was put into the body of an Asian ninja; she was born blonde haired and blue eyed.

Ah, never knew that, but I'd still count her as white. Still, its a book that is pretty much all the things that people claim don't sell.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I thought psylocke transfered her body into an asian.

edit: beaten

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And still had the Asian body after being rescued from the afterlife because... because comics.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

muscles like this? posted:

Or Shaquille O'Neil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP8d6W2lThM

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

That would be even worse. The one black guy gets covered in orange rocks and also being the big intimidating guy?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Johnny usually characterized as a cocky brazen womanizer with an absent father? Because to me that's a thousand times worse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mochiballs posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Johnny usually characterized as a cocky brazen womanizer with an absent father? Because to me that's a thousand times worse.

Mother died, father went to jail for killing a loan shark in self defense.

I've always seen Johnny more as a meterosexual show off then as being a womanizer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mochiballs posted:

Ben was in a loving street gang.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They look to be going pretty Ultimate heavy and his father's quite supportive there. He's still brash and cocky and all but he's a good looking 16/17 year old with superpowers so it fits

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Ben was in a loving street gang.
To be fair, Yancy Street is like the whitest gang ever.

Mochiballs posted:

You know, I don't think this should really be a concern. I know that you're coming from a point of view of avoiding stereotypes. But part of white privilege is that your negative traits are personal and not attributed to your race. The fact is that there are a plethora of racial stereotypes, and the early 20th century was all about splitting weak and negative qualities between either men of color or women. Drug use, womanizing, brazen behavior, poor grades in school, a bad relationship with your father, a history of criminal activity, and poor diet are all things that can be stereotypes against Black people, but that's really a pretty wide net of flaws that encompass a great deal of people of any color.

We also run into the issue where our attempts to run from Black stereotypes creates this dichotomy in media where Blacks are either clear and gross stereotypes or characters so far removed from those stereotypes that they become a bit less relatable. As much as I love them, and I'd love to see them put on film, Cage and T'Challa are a good example of this issue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, Yancy Street is like the whitest gang ever.

Wasn't it a Jewish gang? I always figured the Yancy street gang was one of the Jewish gangs that operated in NYC during Prohibition like the kind Meyer Lanksy or Bugsy Seagle were part of. You didn't want to gently caress with them anymore than the Italians.

I don't thin Cage is too far removed, as he's essentially a blacksplotation character, a street wise tough guy mercenary private eye is also an archtype thats pretty universal. Just he's punching mole men instead of gangsters or commies.

T'challa does have a problem because he can be seen as the noble savage from the mysterious dark continent. I'd prefer him to be shown as a sauve, modern monarch who is clearly as smart as Tony Stark.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Suddenly Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner on the playground doesn't seem so bad.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If every scene in the movie is like this, then I have to buy this movie now.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't it a Jewish gang? I always figured the Yancy street gang was one of the Jewish gangs that operated in NYC during Prohibition like the kind Meyer Lanksy or Bugsy Seagle were part of. You didn't want to gently caress with them anymore than the Italians.

The Yancy Street Gang isn't usually depicted as a real, dyed-in-the-wool organized crime gang, iirc.

More a gang as in "gang of youths who hang around doing pranks and cutting wise". Like the kids from Fat Albert or something.

There have been a few departures, but from what I can recall the recent FF version is closer to the Stan/Jack vision than more serious iterations are.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 24, 2014

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Does Marvel co-own Psylocke? She originated in the Captain Britain comics, not X-Men. She was only brought because Claremont was going to do as sequel to the Mad Jim Jaspers storyline for the Mutant Massacre but Alan Moore threatened to sue.

edit: Oh, I forgot that Psylocke "appeared" in X3 (as a nameless mook whose name was switched around in production).

Corek fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 24, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Marvel owns these comics now too, they put out a big collection of Davis/Moore Captain Britain few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

New Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer with "some" new footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyDon_PpJw

They are really teasing the death of Gwen Stacy

• Locked thread