Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Dog Kisser is a rad goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Splizwarf posted:

Dog Kisser is a rad goon.

Aw, shucks!

In other news, I was thinking of making some sort of sports mod - starbound is very well suited to building arenas and stuff to play in, and I bet it'd be great fun in multiplayer. Basic concept I need to hash out is how to make a ball you can throw and have someone catch it (gib into an item that goes into their inventory) and that's like half a game right there. Once I've got that working I'll share more of a plan with you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
All these awesome mods make me wish I wasn't burnt out on this current state of Beta. But that just means I'll have a bunch of cool stuff waiting for me. Besides, I keep forgetting Star Citizen even exits despite tossing around :20bux: at it I can't even remember how long ago.

At least with Starbound I have something that exists that's pretty decent even in it's unfinished vanilla state. Ridiculous phase 1 beta apocalypses (which we were up front warned about) aside.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

dog kisser posted:

Aw, shucks!

In other news, I was thinking of making some sort of sports mod - starbound is very well suited to building arenas and stuff to play in, and I bet it'd be great fun in multiplayer. Basic concept I need to hash out is how to make a ball you can throw and have someone catch it (gib into an item that goes into their inventory) and that's like half a game right there. Once I've got that working I'll share more of a plan with you.

Don't get too excited, he still called you a goon so it was a pretty backhanded compliment.

Cool mods though.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

dog kisser posted:

Aw, shucks!

Someone did a mod that include 'force gates', which are wired things which create a passable area that pushes you in a particular direction. They can be used to direct meteor showers and other projectiles/players away from buildings, for example. This sort of thing would probably be useful in a space sport mod.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Section Z posted:

At least with Starbound I have something that exists that's pretty decent even in it's unfinished vanilla state. Ridiculous phase 1 beta apocalypses (which we were up front warned about) aside.

I play it for a few days once every 2-3 weeks. Its like a new game every time hahah :)
But yeah, pretty pimp for a beta. Fairly stoked about "release", but, I've gotten my money's worth anyways

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lobsterpillar posted:

Someone did a mod that include 'force gates', which are wired things which create a passable area that pushes you in a particular direction. They can be used to direct meteor showers and other projectiles/players away from buildings, for example. This sort of thing would probably be useful in a space sport mod.

Whoa, that's cool as hell.

So has anyone made a mod that has doors/force fields that will allow people to pass but not water?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Lobsterpillar posted:

I've seen that, that's pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find out how to spawn a drat item from a projectile, which is holding me up a bit in making a ball that can be thrown/caught/intercepted. If anyone has seen anything in-game/from a mod that works like that, kindly send it my way!

Also unrelatedly - has anyone seen anything like an electric heater or something that generates heat when it's activated but not otherwise?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There are space heaters but I don't think they can be toggled on and off. They just passively generate heat.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

If you press Q you toss an item out of your inventory but not particularly far.. Even so I think someone else can pick it up in midair after but I haven't tested it?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

If you press Q you toss an item out of your inventory but not particularly far.. Even so I think someone else can pick it up in midair after but I haven't tested it?

Well actually yeah that kinda works and I totally forgot about that, but yeah it'd be nice to have it sail further.

Blhue posted:

There are space heaters but I don't think they can be toggled on and off. They just passively generate heat.

Yeah, I saw that. I suppose it doesn't matter all that much, but the more I learn about the game the more ideas I get aaaaaaaaagh.

ALSO:

Someone suggested I add a scarecrow target (sprite pretty much already ingame), so I did!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Another day, another Starbound update. Has anyone found a Heck biome yet? I went looking around Delta and X sectors, nothing so far. I am noticing a big slowdown in the game, and a lot more planets per system though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

dog kisser posted:

Aw, shucks!

Add in some kind of scoring goals that can be wired up to a display board, along with a ball fetch/return system and a couple variations on balls (Original Recipe, Rubberised, Superheavy, Zero-G). That'd be pretty kickass.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Anticheese posted:

Add in some kind of scoring goals that can be wired up to a display board, along with a ball fetch/return system and a couple variations on balls (Original Recipe, Rubberised, Superheavy, Zero-G). That'd be pretty kickass.

Well, a couple different sorts of ball are planned for sure (basically that list + extras), but the other stuff is a little out of my reach:

- Display board : That actually probably isn't too hard, but as far as I know there's no kind of impact sensor yet - nor do I know how to make one - so actually counting the goals would be the tough part. My workaround that I was thinking of is making fragile blocks/targets that the other team has to hit with their ball - because the ball is a projectile, you could have a goalie who could block the shots/players could intercept it. The only problem that I can think of is since there's friendly fire it would pass through your teammates (unless I guess they weren't in a party with you - haven't played enough multiplayer to know how that works)

- Ball fetch/return: I'm sure there's a way of sorting that out (the electric home defense seems to moving items around figured out), but you could always just go and pick it up.

In my mind, you'd build some sort of big arena with two teams (one goal on left one on right) and a ref or two and a changeroom beforehand. The ref gives the players some tokens before the game that they can use to buy equipment (stimpacks, buffs, whatever, jerseys) and then the point is to hit all the pins on the opposing team's side. The ref has a gun that can stop players for 30 seconds if they're being dicks as well as several copies of the ball if they somehow get destroyed or misplaced. All this is possible with just the stuff I've worked on so far, it's just a matter of actually building an arena.

The basic concept is of course expandable - want to play blitzball? Flood the arena and use balls that travel well underwater/everyone gets scuba tanks. Want to play with everyone using skyhooks on rails that travel across the arena with a floor made of lava? Sure, why not. I don't want to build a game so much as a framework for games - I'm way less creative than people who build stuff, so I'll let them do that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

Well, a couple different sorts of ball are planned for sure (basically that list + extras), but the other stuff is a little out of my reach:

- Display board : That actually probably isn't too hard, but as far as I know there's no kind of impact sensor yet - nor do I know how to make one - so actually counting the goals would be the tough part. My workaround that I was thinking of is making fragile blocks/targets that the other team has to hit with their ball - because the ball is a projectile, you could have a goalie who could block the shots/players could intercept it. The only problem that I can think of is since there's friendly fire it would pass through your teammates (unless I guess they weren't in a party with you - haven't played enough multiplayer to know how that works)

- Ball fetch/return: I'm sure there's a way of sorting that out (the electric home defense seems to moving items around figured out), but you could always just go and pick it up.

In my mind, you'd build some sort of big arena with two teams (one goal on left one on right) and a ref or two and a changeroom beforehand. The ref gives the players some tokens before the game that they can use to buy equipment (stimpacks, buffs, whatever, jerseys) and then the point is to hit all the pins on the opposing team's side. The ref has a gun that can stop players for 30 seconds if they're being dicks as well as several copies of the ball if they somehow get destroyed or misplaced. All this is possible with just the stuff I've worked on so far, it's just a matter of actually building an arena.

The basic concept is of course expandable - want to play blitzball? Flood the arena and use balls that travel well underwater/everyone gets scuba tanks. Want to play with everyone using skyhooks on rails that travel across the arena with a floor made of lava? Sure, why not. I don't want to build a game so much as a framework for games - I'm way less creative than people who build stuff, so I'll let them do that.

Did they ever add that grappling hook? Also I know your art is great but if you need any help id love to

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Shoehead posted:

Did they ever add that grappling hook?

Yes they did. I rarely use it though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its decent, but you'll probably have gravity bubble and butterfly boost by the time you can make it, since its a tier 4 item. Kind of diminishes its usefulness.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Did they ever add that grappling hook? Also I know your art is great but if you need any help id love to

Uh yes any sprite help with anything would be awesome - and you're no slouch in the art department yourself.

Also - and this important - there is actually PvP currently active in the game, correct? Otherwise all of this ain't gonna work! I keep seeing conflicting reports about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has there been any word on when Combat Rebalance will be updated? I don't think I can play without it anymore... :(

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The grappling hook is too little, too late. It's functionality is really piss poor, unless you craft two and use them like Terraria's dual hookshot and play space-Spiderman. Even then, the elasticity is all out of wack and they expect you to use the directional keys to raise or drop yourself with it, even though in their engine that would only work with a ceiling directly above you, because you'll just get caught along the wall if you use it anywhere else.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jeff Goldblum posted:

The grappling hook is too little, too late. It's functionality is really piss poor, unless you craft two and use them like Terraria's dual hookshot and play space-Spiderman. Even then, the elasticity is all out of wack and they expect you to use the directional keys to raise or drop yourself with it, even though in their engine that would only work with a ceiling directly above you, because you'll just get caught along the wall if you use it anywhere else.

It also drains your energy for some reason, which makes using it in conjunction with mobility techs a little difficult. Or it did, I haven't tried it this patch.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ya'll dudes just aren't using the grappling hook correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I don't care if it's useless by the time you get it, it's fun as hell.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess you guys expect the grappling hook to be as much of an important tool as it was in Terraria or something? Which really isn't how it's meant to be used. Hell it's not even a real 'tool' honestly, it's fun to use though. You should have double jump or whatever before you get grappling hook.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just had the easiest boss fight ever. Activated the robot, traded a couple hits before I hid underground to figure out a strategy. About five seconds later, a meteor fell on his head.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Ya'll dudes just aren't using the grappling hook correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU

As a guy who had to do all his asteroid mining and exploring with a double jump and grappling hooks while dodging projectile birds and wind gust creatures, this and quick switching one handed items became a fast learned subject. Though I'm sorta meh about asteroid fields beyond the free supply of small metal crates and weapon locker lottery. This is probably because I had to navigate places made more out of magmarock than anything the old fashioned way instead of flying everywhere.

Impervium gear at least, can handle dual hooks forever now that I got it. Though dual hooks + tech can still drain.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Grappling hook is very useful if you go asteroid field mining. Asteroids are an environment that it really works well in.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that they released an update and some fixes for it I want to start a new game.
Are there any good mods that have been updated to the latest version?
Also, if yes, are there any mod managers for Starbound?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has there been any word on when Combat Rebalance will be updated? I don't think I can play without it anymore... :(

I think Desideratus is having some PSU issues, so a few days. But there shouldn't be any major compatibility issues so you should be able to just edit the .modinfo file to update the version.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I think Desideratus is having some PSU issues, so a few days. But there shouldn't be any major compatibility issues so you should be able to just edit the .modinfo file to update the version.

There was at least one bug with one of the rebalanced items during the patch series, which crashed the game. There'll probably be more, ymmv.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

Uh yes any sprite help with anything would be awesome - and you're no slouch in the art department yourself.

Also - and this important - there is actually PvP currently active in the game, correct? Otherwise all of this ain't gonna work! I keep seeing conflicting reports about it.

Sure! Let me know if you need anything! I'm running out of things to do with the Skellies

Edit edit!

fun fun

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 23, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Moderating the Starbound forums is still hella funny. Find the offshot weirdo with a stupid thread and poke a little fun at him.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/my-system-is-missing-you-guys-lied.73006/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also - safari rules apply. Don't harass the dude or we'll have to ban you :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You guys are great mods :3:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Sure! Let me know if you need anything! I'm running out of things to do with the Skellies

Edit edit!

fun fun

Woah what's that? Custom death anim?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

Woah what's that? Custom death anim?

Respawn atm but im sure I can specify a custom death animation in species files so you never know

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Eonwe posted:

Also - safari rules apply. Don't harass the dude or we'll have to ban you :(

Safari Rule = Don't get out of the car?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Just put out a Chemistry mod inspired by my time spent on Space Station 13. I know there's already an SS13-based chemistry mod out there but I figured i'd take my own crack at it for the hell of it.
I decided to make stuff like tar, slime and so forth useful while I was at it by making you able to crush them down into reagents. No more just throwing out piles of 1,000 slime stacks!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fun as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Fun as heck.

Played in reverse for respawn?

• Locked thread