Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DivisionPost posted:

And also how much you like t.A.T.u.

Good god, I forgot all about them. Oh well, I've bought worse things for ten bucks. It might be good for a trip report or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

The Footloose remake was pretty good.

...seriously?

I'm morbidly curious now.

edit: t.a.t.u. had some legitimately good songs, and also that awesomely bad cover of "How Soon Is Now?"

edit edit:

quote:

The four-disc collection includes the thirteen episodes that were broadcast plus the unaired pilot,[5] which features Sherilyn Fenn as Harley Quinn,

HOW COULD THAT BE BAD?!

precision fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 23, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

...seriously?

It's not a remake that goes out and does its own thing. It plays VERY close to the original, updated for modern times in a way that feels natural and right (i.e., not in a "Facebook my Twitter bro" sense).

If it helps, it was directed by Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow, Black Snake Moan, the Terriers pilot), and you can feel his fingerprints all over it, subtle as they may be.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Tim Kring interview from last page is great. I'm not sure Kring realises he's being criticised/slightly made fun of the whole time, which makes him being about as patronising as possible here even funnier:

quote:

AVC: How do you balance what the network wants and what you want? In the beginning, it seemed like you could get away with a lot more, since there were no expectations as to what Heroes was.

TK: That’s a very astute observation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

precision posted:

...seriously?

Seriously. It's one of the rare remakes that manages to deviate VERY little from the original while still feeling completely fresh and say something new. It helps that it's storyline (old clashing with young) is inherently built to comment on remakes.

If you loved the original you'll love the remake, in fact, like myself, you might even prefer it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bown posted:

I don't think you know what "revisionist history" means. Heroes season 1 was very well-received when it aired, up until the finale, and people have been bringing it up as an example of "but this was good" ever since, whether or not you personally believe it deserves it (probably not).

Personally I find it so funny we all thought "save the cheerleader, save the world" was ever a good line.

Yeah, I remember thoroughly enjoying the first season of Heroes and not being at all alone. There's a reason I found the S1 finale so disappointing, S2 such a waste, and even gave S3 a chance. I don't get that far without something appealing to me in the first place. Granted, in retrospect I'm not sure exactly what that was. Heroes doesn't sound or look good paper but maybe that's just because were judging it based on what we know it became and also better shows that came along after. But gently caress, I own Heroes S1 on DVD. I have no desire to watch it but I must have enjoyed it enough to make me waste money like that when I almost never buy individual seasons.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bown posted:

I don't think you know what "revisionist history" means. Heroes season 1 was very well-received when it aired, up until the finale, and people have been bringing it up as an example of "but this was good" ever since, whether or not you personally believe it deserves it (probably not).

Personally I find it so funny we all thought "save the cheerleader, save the world" was ever a good line.

Actually you're right, I used it wrong there. I watched Season 1 (And Season 2) but I was never under the impression that it was 'good' as such but I did appreciate the way it barrelled through those 22 episodes. That doesn't alter the fact that a lot of it was still bad though. It seems like people remember 'Company Man' and think the rest of the season matches it. The majority of the writing and performances are painful though. Then when they finally kill off Ali Larter they find a way to bring her back, multiple times. Really I think we can all agree that was the biggest crime it committed.

And for Real Talk: It's a largely so-so sitcom but MY WIFE AND KIDS actually has one of my favourite on-screen couples.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I loved that 2-3 episode arc in the first season in which Sylar and Mohinder were on a road trip and Sylar was surreptitiously murdering all the mutants they found. That was pretty awesome. And I legit jumped out of my chair when Nathan was revealed to be Sylar in the flash forward in the finale. That was really awesome.

Then it all went to hell.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If they came out and said that Current Releases was one giant troll/satire of film reviews then it would be the funniest thing on the front page. Because that's the only context in which a comedy website posting a review of Man of Steel that's just one huge screed about how the movie sucks because it's not the "right" Superman and also 9/11, how the more critics disagree with you the more correct you actually are because it proves you're not a mindless sheep, and giving the Footloose remake the highest score in the history of the column makes any sense.

I mean, I agree with you on the MoS front (the number of people who call the movie cynical confuses me to no end), but the other two points are silly. Death of the Opinion isn't saying "the more critics you disagree with, the smarter you are", it's saying that simply looking at the number on Metacritic and RT isn't a good way to discern whether or not you will like a movie. It encourages people to figure out what they like, why they like it, and to go from there. Rotten Tomatoes is good as a review aggregator, but I try whenever possible to not use it as a way to say whether a movie is "good" or "bad" (unless a movie is below like, 10 percent, that's the only time I will actually take advice from RT and just not see a movie). And looking at scores for reviews is stupid, especially these, because I mean seriously, look at the "categories" they used for it. "The Kicking Off of Sunday Shoes" is the last one. C'mon. (also it's no longer the highest score, because at the very least Short Term 12 got a 50/50)

edit: And Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is ten times better than The Avengers is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

And some people like vegemite.

e: I haven't had douche chills in a long time but the pilot of About a Boy did it. They got a truly terrible kid actor that looks like a hell demon, the main guy is some 40-year-old eternal frat bro, and the Minnie Driver character is an irritating vegan that wants to force her evil down everyone's throat. gently caress this show.

I didn't think the show itself was terrible, at least aside from the WTF shoehorning of that One Direction song taking up the last five minutes of the show. Don't take that as me saying I'll go out of my way to watch it though, I agree that the kid actor was pretty bad. If you're assuming the show will survive the season, obviously these terrible selfish characters will grow a heart and learn to love each other and become better people or something. That's the way these kinds of shows go.

scary ghost dog posted:

Heroes is more like that peanut butter & jelly mix you can get in a jar.

More like the peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a can. As in, you can understand how people might like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but why the gently caress would you execute it like that.

DirtyRobot posted:

This is an honest question, because it's been a few years, but what did you think was colorful and weird? I feel like I see exactly where you're coming from, yet at the very same time my general impression/memory was that it was incredibly safe and pedestrian.

The colors of the lights shining through the cracks of the door Mohinder was holding shut.

Irish Joe posted:

Birds of Prey isn't worse than any other cheesy action/adventure show of that time. If you liked Mutant X, She Spies and VIP, then you'll like BoP.

The problem is that nobody liked Mutant X, She Spies, or VIP.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 23, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rabbit Hill posted:

I loved that 2-3 episode arc in the first season in which Sylar and Mohinder were on a road trip and Sylar was surreptitiously murdering all the mutants they found. That was pretty awesome. And I legit jumped out of my chair when Nathan was revealed to be Sylar in the flash forward in the finale. That was really awesome.

The literal best part of the terrible part of Heroes was when Peter abandoned his girlfriend in an alternate future never to be heard from again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A really, really terrible alternate future at that. Like "left my girlfriend in hell, time to move on I guess."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I remember thoroughly enjoying the first season of Heroes and not being at all alone. There's a reason I found the S1 finale so disappointing, S2 such a waste, and even gave S3 a chance. I don't get that far without something appealing to me in the first place. Granted, in retrospect I'm not sure exactly what that was. Heroes doesn't sound or look good paper but maybe that's just because were judging it based on what we know it became and also better shows that came along after. But gently caress, I own Heroes S1 on DVD. I have no desire to watch it but I must have enjoyed it enough to make me waste money like that when I almost never buy individual seasons.

If I recall, the general reaction to Season 1 was the first few episodes were pretty dull but acceptable because A Superhero Show on Primetime TV, and didn't really get into "good" territory until about mid-season with "Company Man", and kept it up pretty well from there on the strength of being interesting mixed with people wanting to know how things progress to the end and what the final battle with Sylar was like, followed by a letdown when those episodes came and were two hours of boring poo poo. There was still enough good will left over for season 2, but it was midichlorians all the way down (mixed with Petrelli family drama, Nathan resurrections, Sylar face-heel-face-heel turns, and Ali Larter clones).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

raditts posted:

The colors of the lights shining through the cracks of the door Mohinder was holding shut.

This was an awesome way to tease the finale fight without taking any of it's steam, the problem is that the finale fight never actually came.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

A really, really terrible alternate future at that. Like "left my girlfriend in hell, time to move on I guess."

I may be wrong here but I thought that the way time travel and all that poo poo worked meant that he ended up making that Universe not even exist.

I don't know if that makes it better or worse, but eh. COMIC BOOKS!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You might be right. It was a long time ago and I'm sure as gently caress not going to rewatch it to see.

raditts posted:

If I recall, the general reaction to Season 1 was the first few episodes were pretty dull but acceptable because A Superhero Show on Primetime TV, and didn't really get into "good" territory until about mid-season with "Company Man", and kept it up pretty well from there on the strength of being interesting mixed with people wanting to know how things progress to the end and what the final battle with Sylar was like, followed by a letdown when those episodes came and were two hours of boring poo poo. There was still enough good will left over for season 2, but it was midichlorians all the way down (mixed with Petrelli family drama, Nathan resurrections, Sylar face-heel-face-heel turns, and Ali Larter clones).

Oh yeah, by no stretch of means am I recommending Heroes S1 or saying it was great. I'm just saying that it was an overall enjoyable season whose pros outweighed its cons and gave reason to hope for better in Season 2. Unfortunately the show went hard the other way and in doing so drags S1 down with it because it wasn't good enough to stand on its own. But if there's any "revisionist history" in play I think its from people trying to judge that first season harsher than it was at the time thanks to the hindsight of what the show became.

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: And Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is ten times better than The Avengers is.

Holy crap. There are people who not only enjoyed Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter but thought it was one of the best films of the year? I mean, I could almost accept Battleship since it was a kind of fun popcorn film but that god awful Lincoln Vampire movie? That's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 23, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

raditts posted:

One of the most memorable parts of watching the first season of Heroes for me was when on later episode (probably the finale) when Mohinder was holding a door shut, and somebody posted something like "Mohinder's latent door-holding power emerges." I remember a smart-rear end post more than the show itself. I don't know who you are but I still remember that you made me laugh that time, dude.

But yeah, the first finale sucked, I never watched the show after that, so I don't care about the mini-series, bla bla bla and all that.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

PriorMarcus posted:

This was an awesome way to tease the finale fight without taking any of it's steam, the problem is that the finale fight never actually came.

Really, the show never had the budget and/or the imagination to make a full fledged Peter/Sylar fight happen. The writers got ahead of themselves and made them into these gently caress off superpowered beings without stopping to think about whether they could make it work onscreen.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I really want someone to post that gif of Peter flying with the MSPaint face.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just warning you guys, Black Sails is probably the next show I start banging the drum for. The pace is a little more measured than you might expect from a heavily fictionalized show set during the golden age of piracy, and for reasons I don't understand some people think that Hannah New can't act her way out of a paper bag (personally I think she's rock solid). But I think the long setup covers some interesting ground, and once everything starts to pay off (around the end of the 4th episode), you'll start to jones for more.

Give it a shot if you're into Boardwalk Empire. I doubt Black Sails will hit its heights, but I think the first season has been stronger than Boardwalk's so far. If it helps, it's from the guy behind Jericho and the first season of Human Target, so you know he knows what he's doing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought Black Sails was from the Spartacus people? For that reason I was letting it sit and willing to wait to binge watch it once it got at least halfway through the season since Spartacus took quite a few episodes to get going and I would have abandoned it if I was watching it week to week.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lycus posted:

But yeah, the first finale sucked, I never watched the show after that, so I don't care about the mini-series, bla bla bla and all that.

If NBC had to bring back a dumb superhero show that they cancelled, I'd rather it be The Cape. At least that one made no illusions about how loving stupid it is, and had Keith David to chew the poo poo out of every piece of scenery available. Of course the main character is now in another dumb NBC show so that's probably a no-go.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

STAC Goat posted:

I thought Black Sails was from the Spartacus people? For that reason I was letting it sit and willing to wait to binge watch it once it got at least halfway through the season since Spartacus took quite a few episodes to get going and I would have abandoned it if I was watching it week to week.
From Starz, yes, but not Steven deKnight or any of the Whedon crew.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hahah, it says a lot about how the mind can make you forget traumatic poo poo like the last 3 seasons of Heroes because I do not remember that at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My GF switched our cable provider recently, and must have gotten a good deal because she signed us up for HBO in the process. I'm interested is seeing what Game of Thrones is all about now that we'll have HBO, but I don't want to jump right in with the upcoming season because I also started reading the books recently. Does HBO stream old eps of their shows for subscribers somewhere, or am I going to have to get the discs for each season prior to this one?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
hbogo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

C-Euro posted:

My GF switched our cable provider recently, and must have gotten a good deal because she signed us up for HBO in the process. I'm interested is seeing what Game of Thrones is all about now that we'll have HBO, but I don't want to jump right in with the upcoming season because I also started reading the books recently. Does HBO stream old eps of their shows for subscribers somewhere, or am I going to have to get the discs for each season prior to this one?

You'll probably have access to HBO Go and they have every episode up for streaming.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should also go watch True Detective (and, well, any of the shows on there you might have heard of but not seen, really.)

edit: is Enlightened on HBO Go?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/21/clive-owens-the-knick/

Steven Soderbergh is doing a TV show for Cinemax called The Knick. Clive Owen plays a doctor in the 1900s. The thing I'm excited about is that Soderbergh is directing all 10 episodes. So much for his retirement, eh?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Holy crap. There are people who not only enjoyed Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter but thought it was one of the best films of the year? I mean, I could almost accept Battleship since it was a kind of fun popcorn film but that god awful Lincoln Vampire movie? That's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

Yeah, it's awesome because the tone is "Historical Fiction" but the subject is "Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires". Also that last fight scene was *the bomb*.

Mu Zeta posted:

Steven Soderbergh is doing a TV show for Cinemax called The Knick. Clive Owen plays a doctor in the 1900s. The thing I'm excited about is that Soderbergh is directing all 10 episodes. So much for his retirement, eh?

He said he was retiring from film, not from everything. I think his point was that he wanted to do more TV stuff.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

STAC Goat posted:

Nah, what happened was that Spartacus ended around the same time they started to advertise Black Sails, and the hope was that a show about pirates from executive producer Michael Bay could fill the pulpy period action/adventure gap that Spartacus left behind. My understanding is that the Sails thread actually got started because there was so much talk about it in the Spartacus thread that a mod (Aatrek?) closed it. That's why the thread title for Black Sails is "The spirit of Spartacus lives on," because people expected a show like Spartacus and nothing in the ads dissuaded that expectation.

But yeah, the show itself plays things a little slower and less stylized. There's more of an emphasis on politics in the first half as it sorts out the logistics of tracking a target, crewing up, getting supplies for the raid, and a whole bunch of stuff that sounds more boring than how it actually plays out. (In fairness, I may be in the minority; many critics did not go for the four episodes they were sent. See: Horizon, Azure and The Borgias.)

Now we're into the second half of the 8-episode season and we're finally raiding other ships, and it's about as awesome as we'd hoped it would be. But again, people were expecting this non-stop from episode 1. What we got was more concerned with people fighting to maintain a certain way of life, away from the perceived oppression of the monarchies that ruled at the time, and that involves hinging a lot of drama on political maneuvering. In that sense, it's definitely a lot like Boardwalk Empire.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Just warning you guys, Black Sails is probably the next show I start banging the drum for. The pace is a little more measured than you might expect from a heavily fictionalized show set during the golden age of piracy

Yeah, such as if you expect things like pirates being on a boat doing pirate things.

I haven't seen last night's episode though, so maybe they finally start doing something other than Island Politics with Scurvy and Prostitutes. It's not a bad show, but my is it slow to get to what everyone wants from it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

I haven't seen last night's episode though, so maybe they finally start doing something other than Island Politics with Scurvy and Prostitutes. It's not a bad show, but my is it slow to get to what everyone wants from it.

Yeah, if you want pirates on a boat doing pirate things, this episode is your poo poo. And it ends on a gnarly cliffhanger that promises MORE pirate things on boats next week.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

It's not a bad show, but my is it slow to get to what everyone wants from it.

Yeah, I agree it is a bit slow, but I enjoyed watching the pilot. I'm not caught up, but it's turning out to be a really decent show.

By the way, are there any Xavier: Renegade Angel type shows out there anymore? I just need to see something hilarious like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NPeU90kws. Something like Space Ghost: Coast to Coast also works.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, it's awesome because the tone is "Historical Fiction" but the subject is "Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires". Also that last fight scene was *the bomb*.

He said he was retiring from film, not from everything. I think his point was that he wanted to do more TV stuff.

Yeah Soderbergh just wanted to get away from film. He wanted to paint and work theatre etc. Basically he just wanted to work on things that took his fancy. I'm sure I read somewhere that he's writing a book too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ravane posted:

By the way, are there any Xavier: Renegade Angel type shows out there anymore? I just need to see something hilarious like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NPeU90kws. Something like Space Ghost: Coast to Coast also works.

I wish there was something as good as Xavier currently airing on TV.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mu Zeta posted:

This is amazing, and basically the opposite of the Heroes news. I'm biased, though, because I'm a sucker for period dramas.

edit: those shoes

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 24, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Piers Morgan Tonight is cancelled, but Morgan himself may be remaining with CNN in another capacity. Roll on Jay Leno Live!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't give two shits about period dramas but I like Clive Owen so I may check it out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No joke, if Jay Leno took over that spot, he would be CNN's #1 rated show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, if you want pirates on a boat doing pirate things, this episode is your poo poo. And it ends on a gnarly cliffhanger that promises MORE pirate things on boats next week.

Yeah ok, it's definitely ramping up after this episode.

Even the Island Politics Featuring Prostitute_534 and NotJackSparrow was looking more interesting.

• Locked thread