Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Okay, thanks for justifying this to yourself again.

Is the promo for episode seven online yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3It89SVHGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

^^^ It was a good episode, just more inline with 1-3 then 4-5.

I dunno man, a beating with some blackjack gloves isn't something you just walk off. I don't hate Marty he just seems sort of weak. Today characterized it perfectly with the way that age has eroded his resolve. He doesn't seem to attempt to be a good man like he once had, he just fucks the girl in the rear end and then slurps up some pasta, going with the carnal flow.

Marty comes off as the kind of guy who starts a family really young and it's a point of frustration. He acts like a college kid but still has this idea of how a family should be without realizing everything he does only hurts the people he cares about.

At this point Cohle and Marty share something in common: they both straight up murdered someone for hurting a child. Cohle when he mentioned killing a methhead for injecting his kid and Marty for killing LeDoux.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I guess maybe that is why it was so disappointing in that it didn't really introduce anything new and just filled in some gaps that we already knew existed. We already knew that Maggie and Marty got divorced, and that Marty and Rust have a big falling out, but both gaps were full of soap opera kind of stuff rather than anything relevant to the case. In fact, I don't really think there is much to analyze in this episode. The Tuttle stuff was probably the most substantive and there's still not a lot there except he got upset when Rust asked about the deacon who was tied to some nude pictures of children and that some of their files were conveniently flooded.

If you don't like the Cohle/Tuttle scene then I think you might not like this show. Tuttle's jab at Cohle for being an alcoholic, Rust gauging his response with each bomb that's dropped, that scene was awesome.

al-azad posted:

Marty comes off as the kind of guy who starts a family really young and it's a point of frustration. He acts like a college kid but still has this idea of how a family should be without realizing everything he does only hurts the people he cares about.

Exactly

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 24, 2014

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

al-azad posted:

This is really great

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree. This episode made both characters much realer, and it set up what seems to be the necessary plot beats to close things out. I'm happy to see writing that's well plotted, instead of a clumsy mess like Lost that introduced more poo poo than it had any idea what to do with, seemingly out of a desire to have something 'happening' each episode.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Good god, Maggie is loving awesome.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If you don't like the Cohle/Tuttle scene then I think you might not like this show. Tuttle's jab at Cohle for being an alcoholic, Rust gauging his response with each bomb that's dropped, that scene was awesome.

I don't think Tuttle knew Cohle is an alcoholic when he said that. Also I know he's good and all, but I don't think he learned a great deal from Tuttle during the interrogation.

Also on second thought, I guess if you were unconvinced of the link between Reggie and Lawn Mower Guy, that interview with the girl they rescued wraps that up pretty well.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The reveal of Rust's apartment still being undecorated except for the addition of all the Dora Lange case files, etc. really hit home for me how focused he has become from '95 to '02 on this case. And we are finally in present day and getting the meeting between Rust and Marty. God I love this show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blastedhellscape posted:

Also the lingering shot on the broken taillight was funny. I kind of want to know if Rust didn't get that thing fixed for ten years for sentimental reasons or because he just didn't give a gently caress.

It sort of fits into the whole point of the investigation Cohle does in 2002, where he's spending so much time in the bayous where things happen nobody pays attention to or cares about that he hasn't had a cop in 10 years give him poo poo for his broken taillight.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

LmaoTheKid posted:

Good god, Maggie is loving awesome.

Love the fact she stone-cold lied to the detectives just like Rust and Marty and we got to see her flashback reality along side it.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

I think Maggie has come off shady as hell this entire series. It could be bad writing for her character, but she just seems rather cold and detached. We got to see how manipulative she can be in this episode, so maybe we'll get some sort of a big reveal over the course of the next two episodes.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The Rust-Maggie scene was the one actual scene from this show that wasn't amazing and tone-perfect for the situation and contained such an uncharacteristic series of actions from Rust that has really soured the last 2 episodes for me.

I get where Maggie is coming from and an erotic confrontation between her and Rust seemed like a cliched, inevitable scene that I really didn't want to see, but the scene seemed chiefly to fill in the stilted, absurdly short HBO sex scene quota for a popular series, with proper character development fitting the bill.

I'm not ungrateful for the Monaghan and McConaughey butt but several thresholds of character misbehaviour were crossed for reasons I don't really understand:

1) Rust consenting in the first place - Rust ate Maggie's confession head on before her thong even dropped so pouring some of her wine and dropping trough obligingly seems really unfathomable.

2) Rust loving finishing inside Maggie - Ok, maybe Rust's lizard brain got the best of him and Michelle Monaghan is smoking hot but coital interruption is totally out of the question for the most cerebral, sane (according to him earlier in the episode) detective on the show? Also really the hallmark of HBO sex scene design is on display as he loving busts his nut in 10 seconds (not that I could go further) from the ravenous, sensual foreplay of Maggie talking about how she almost hosed a stranger in a bar and her forcing herself on Rust's neck for the same duration.

3) Rust exploding (post-testicular explosion) at Maggie - This is sort of the most understandable response to the totally outrageous events it proceeds, I imagine Rust feels pretty bad about himself for not bringing his A-game to Maggie so he shoves her out the door to play with his Mag-Lite some more.

I mean if this is all of Rust's keikaku for some Sherlock-esque Marty manipulation to bust the Tuttle Illuminati two weeks from now I'll laugh at the response I had today but that scene was super loving dumb.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
I felt like Cohle giving in to Maggie's advances was somewhat out of character. It seems like he's the type of guy who would immediately deduce what she was up to.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

steakmancer posted:

The Rust-Maggie scene was the one actual scene from this show that wasn't amazing and tone-perfect for the situation and contained such an uncharacteristic series of actions from Rust that has really soured the last 2 episodes for me.

I get where Maggie is coming from and an erotic confrontation between her and Rust seemed like a cliched, inevitable scene that I really didn't want to see, but the scene seemed chiefly to fill in the stilted, absurdly short HBO sex scene quota for a popular series, with proper character development fitting the bill.

I'm not ungrateful for the Monaghan and McConaughey butt but several thresholds of character misbehaviour were crossed for reasons I don't really understand:

1) Rust consenting in the first place - Rust ate Maggie's confession head on before her thong even dropped so pouring some of her wine and dropping trough obligingly seems really unfathomable.

2) Rust loving finishing inside Maggie - Ok, maybe Rust's lizard brain got the best of him and Michelle Monaghan is smoking hot but coital interruption is totally out of the question for the most cerebral, sane (according to him earlier in the episode) detective on the show? Also really the hallmark of HBO sex scene design is on display as he loving busts his nut in 10 seconds (not that I could go further) from the ravenous, sensual foreplay of Maggie talking about how she almost hosed a stranger in a bar and her forcing herself on Rust's neck for the same duration.

3) Rust exploding (post-testicular explosion) at Maggie - This is sort of the most understandable response to the totally outrageous events it proceeds, I imagine Rust feels pretty bad about himself for not bringing his A-game to Maggie so he shoves her out the door to play with his Mag-Lite some more.

I mean if this is all of Rust's keikaku for some Sherlock-esque Marty manipulation to bust the Tuttle Illuminati two weeks from now I'll laugh at the response I had today but that scene was super loving dumb.

#goonyasfuck

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IMB posted:

#goonyasfuck

His post was actually painful to read.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

steakmancer posted:

I too was in shock that HBO didn't include a scene where Matthew McCounaghey pulls out and skeets all over Maggie's dress, visible penis and all

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MisterFusion posted:

I felt like Cohle giving in to Maggie's advances was somewhat out of character. It seems like he's the type of guy who would immediately deduce what she was up to.

He did appear to be well into a bottle of whiskey, which would explain his behavior somewhat.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

steakmancer posted:

:wtc:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

MisterFusion posted:

He was drunk, Maggie is one of the few people he's been disarmed and human with, and he's been living an ascetic lifestyle denying himself human relationships for years. He may not have been bringing his A game.

Maggie is maybe the only character on the show that's shown to really understand Cohle as a human being. She beat him at his own game; she saw his weakness and gave him what he wanted.

So anyway lets talk about premature ejaculation

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
I've never seen so many goons so dismissive of an episode that CLEARLY SETS UP TWO CONSECUTIVE INSANE EPISODES.

Regarding the next episode's preview what do you guy's think Marty saw on that video screen that made him react like that? I may have to go with the theories about how his daughter is involved somehow

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't usually follow threads here. Is it common for people to so completely misunderstand extremely basic plot points and character motivations?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I don't usually follow threads here. Is it common for people to so completely misunderstand extremely basic plot points and character motivations?

God yes. Welcome to TV/IV.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

AFewBricksShy posted:

He did appear to be well into a bottle of whiskey, which would explain his behavior somewhat.

He was having a very clearheaded, reflective moment shining a flashlight through a set of deer horns at a map of Louisiana and photos of dead bodies.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I don't think Tuttle knew Cohle is an alcoholic when he said that. Also I know he's good and all, but I don't think he learned a great deal from Tuttle during the interrogation.

I'm pretty sure I'm being trolled at this point, but I can't help it: you HAVE to acknowledge that even in your weird version of events, Tuttle knows who Cohle is, and probably has a big file's worth of dirt on him that includes the fact that he's an alcoholic.

The whole scene was basically about both characters acknowledging they know the other's poo poo without saying it out loud. It's why Cohle didn't bother following up with the clerical dude, he got what he needed to know, that Tuttle was in on it on some level, and knew that Cohle would find nothing in the files.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 24, 2014

Siid
Oct 18, 2012

shut up netface posted:

I've never seen so many goons so dismissive of an episode that CLEARLY SETS UP TWO CONSECUTIVE INSANE EPISODES.

Regarding the next episode's preview what do you guy's think Marty saw on that video screen that made him react like that? I may have to go with the theories about how his daughter is involved somehow

That would be my guess.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
I think we're looking at the wrong clues here folks. Think about it, Kohl's...Marty's...what do they both sell?

Shoes. And women buy and they and children wear them EVERY DAY!

You look at the shoes and you find the answers.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

steakmancer posted:

This is really bad.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Siid posted:

That would be my guess.

Make's Cohle's cold "hey I got something to show you" even colder

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

steakmancer posted:

I read this line like 15 times and each time I just got more frustrated.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
People talk about McConaughey's performance, which is excellent, but Harrelson is doing a great job too. The way he switches between goofy manchild and barely contained, forehead vein popping rage is awesome.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Stupid Dick posted:

I think Maggie has come off shady as hell this entire series. It could be bad writing for her character, but she just seems rather cold and detached. We got to see how manipulative she can be in this episode, so maybe we'll get some sort of a big reveal over the course of the next two episodes.

She discovered her husband cheated on her again. Revenge loving someone who mowed her lawn to hurt Marty isn't out of left field.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

IMB posted:

Make's Cohle's cold "hey I got something to show you" even colder

I think it's "I got something you need to see", which is a little less awful.

sector_corrector posted:

People talk about McConaughey's performance, which is excellent, but Harrelson is doing a great job too. The way he switches between goofy manchild and barely contained, forehead vein popping rage is awesome.

All while depicting the character as dynamic and fairly intelligent. Hopefully the shows success will let them wrangle some comparable acting talents for the next season.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Vishass posted:

She discovered her husband cheated on her again. Revenge loving someone who mowed her lawn to hurt Marty isn't out of left field.

It was maybe slightly motivated by revenge but mostly it was an extremely calculated move to make sure that Marty would never forgive her or want to reconcile their marriage.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Stupid Dick posted:

This has been said at one point about every female character in every show in every thread in this forum.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Great loving episode I thought it set up some crazy poo poo for 7 and 8.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It was maybe slightly motivated by revenge but mostly it was an extremely calculated move to make sure that Marty would never forgive her or want to reconcile their marriage.

Yeah that poo poo was stone cold planned and had very little to do with revenge and more to do with wanting completely out. She felt she would be weak to Marty coming back and saying sorry.

Also god drat does Woody Harrelson's mouth get small when he's got his angry face on.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

steakmancer posted:

I think this is the point where we should agree that this thread should be closed. If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The part where he grabs her throat and she dares him was badass. I really like Maggie a lot.

And :laffo: at the dissection above.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
*Pointless Speculation*

The thing Marty needs to see is the pictures of dead naked children guy from ever other hbo show talked about.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't normally care about things like this, but the thread title should be "post-testicular explosion".

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Sure, perhaps. I don't read it exactly that way, but I can't argue that may be a motivation.

Whatever it was, it probably wasn't setting up some big reveal where Maggie has been up nefarious poo poo like "ha ha ha Rust and Marty! It was me all along!"

Although we never did find out why the kids were drawing weird poo poo and setting up their barbies like th-OH gently caress IT IS MAGGIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'm also disappointed in a few of the characters' decisions, mostly because episode 5 was the one that got me totally hooked, and the REASON it got me hooked was because it suggested so much more happening below the surface with these characters, something more complicated than the people we've been presented with, which was masterfully done. And in episode 6 we get them reacting to stuff with relatively little going on below. Like Rust needling Marty with unnecessarily dickish moves, and Marty going for the bait every time, to the point where I really hope it was all a calculated plan by Rust to break up their working relationship because that's how pointedly, directly emasculating all his comments were. But that doesn't make a lot of sense? At least the execution didn't. And yet Marty never questions this uncharacteristic antagonism from his partner of seven years. So they have this big fight and I can't tell if it's Rust trying to get kicked off the force on purpose or just both of them being colossal idiots.

The Rust and Maggie affair was likewise an obvious conflict and therefore annoying. The one thing that saved the scene was how calculating Maggie was and how both of them behaved at the end, but it still seemed very bizarre for Rust's character. Yeah, the scene set him up with excuses, but that's what it felt like: rear end-covering rationalizations, a set-up that doesn't feel right even though the writing tries to stuff it with logical justifications (and considering how lucid Rust can be after doing a shitton of drugs, even "he's drunk" isn't a very strong excuse.)

The greatest writing moments give us events that are surprising, yet totally in character. Maggie's quick admission that she literally screwed Rust only to hurt Marty is one example, Rust playing cat and mouse with Tuttle is another -- their behavior surprises us but still feels natural, and it makes for thrilling television. There were moments in tonight's episode that were neither surprising nor in character, which is less than I expect of True Detective.

• Locked thread