Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I still have characters on live, I transferred them about a year ago. But couldn't get myself to play on Live as the item level of all players was far too high to compete.

also too much of the pvp appeared to happen in some Labyrinth zone I really did not like. And New Frontiers too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The gear gap isnt nearly as terrible as it used to be. I say this as someone that has never been able to bring myself to fully temp a single char (until yesterday :v:). The hardest part is the crafted gear, otherwise its just spending some time farming glass/dragon scales.

Im having way more fun in Molvik than I am at 50 anyway.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

I'm having way more fun in Molvik than I am at 50 anyway.

Same here, been playing Nightshade, Ranger, Eldritch, Animist and today just levelled a Skald & Runemaster to give Mid a go.

Levelling is really quick through the battlegrounds now and it's fun to try out other realm's that I haven't already played.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I've been having a blast on Live. Levelling purely through BGs is pretty awesome. It kinda sucks that there's a ton of barren PvE content, but whatever, the game's 12 years old.

Any goons on Hib have a guild we can get into?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Whoa whoa, 7 free days? When did this happen again? I have 50s on all realms I think. RR8 fully templated Mintrel is probably most fun, though. Anyone else have stealthers?

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
I have stealthers on all 3 realms that are completely temped and my favorite happens to be my inf in alb Kazvall. We might have to arrange a time to play if you're interested! I have buffbuts on all 3 as well.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

Yeah, I've been having a blast on Live. Levelling purely through BGs is pretty awesome. It kinda sucks that there's a ton of barren PvE content, but whatever, the game's 12 years old.

Any goons on Hib have a guild we can get into?

I think my NS is still in the goon guild and can invite. Also, I was the Vamp you were playing with today until my power went out. Sorry bout that!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

nousername posted:

I have stealthers on all 3 realms that are completely temped and my favorite happens to be my inf in alb Kazvall. We might have to arrange a time to play if you're interested! I have buffbuts on all 3 as well.

Nice. I will probably activate towards the end of the week. It would be nice to play my toons again, if only for a week. I can haul out my collection of every pre-si glowie weapons.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Kazvall posted:

Whoa whoa, 7 free days? When did this happen again?

Very recently, and probably due to Broadsword taking over DAoC and UO. It's going to be nice having a company actively working on the game again.

edit: Also wanted to recommend to anyone worried about templating and plats to just stick to the Thid and Molvik battlegrounds. It's pretty cheap to get set up with some gear for either and they're really quite fun, especially Molvik.

ButtaKnife fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2014

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.
I have 900+ alchemy on Hib and iirc 1000 alch/sc on Alb if any goons need their stuff recharged or procs added to any gear. Can message me on Elfpope (on Hib), I play a fair amount.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Meat and I just ran around in a group raping all of Thidranki for a while and got our titles, on to 25-29 tomorrow :hellyeah:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Which is the most easy way to play on Live with currently a Genesis install? (and be able to go back easily).
Is it just Game.dll that needs to be swapped around?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evernoob posted:

Which is the most easy way to play on Live with currently a Genesis install? (and be able to go back easily).
Is it just Game.dll that needs to be swapped around?

Copy your entire daoc folder into a new directory so you effectively have two installs.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I read that Mordred Characters can now be transferred to Ywain. This was not possible last year when I moved my other characters. I might take a look again at Live server if I cannot get on Genesis, but this is with big reservations.

On Hib I would play a Warden, on Alb I would use either a cleric, heretic or friar (all xfer from Mordred) and on Mid my choice is limited to a Shaman.

Would all the gear from Mordred characters get purged? As they are wearing a mix of chain and scale.

If the new company in charge of DaoC decides to launch a classic server this would probably mean the end of the Freeshards, but it would be a Morale Victory in the end. So I really hope someone over there is listening.

I expect a huge subscription spike if they decide to do it. And they can count on my money.

What is the real reason they took over DaoC? Have they published any other long term plans?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
For Celtic Dual, do you need to train another weapon type (ie blades if you use blades) for better damage? Or can use all those extra points for shield for slams ect.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ded posted:

For Celtic Dual, do you need to train another weapon type (ie blades if you use blades) for better damage? Or can use all those extra points for shield for slams ect.

You need both, and what you take depends on the class youre playing. From what Ive learned you want a minimum of 25 CD for the side style though.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Who was the person that set for http://fafas.lt/status for the Genesis server status? Is it gone for good?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
It's been up and down for the past few days. It is currently working.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I think it's easily overloaded, it tends to go down when the server is experiencing a rough patch.

Anyone know if Cody has done anything stupid or has it really been a weekfew days since the last incident?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Combo posted:

Meat and I just ran around in a group raping all of Thidranki for a while and got our titles, on to 25-29 tomorrow :hellyeah:
What level are you now? Didn't get a chance to play yesterday. I'm at 29, about to leave Braemar.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Wondering if anyone here is playing multiple realms on origins, and what is your process?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Meatsicle posted:

What level are you now? Didn't get a chance to play yesterday. I'm at 29, about to leave Braemar.

Still 29, I stopped since I'm in no rush, but my 7 days is over so I have to figure out if I want to reactivate

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

GIMpy12 posted:

Wondering if anyone here is playing multiple realms on origins, and what is your process?

I started playing Hib some, using cyberghost vpn. It's okay, I guess. Just being cautious, I could probably do it without and not get banned.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Evernoob posted:

I read that Mordred Characters can now be transferred to Ywain. This was not possible last year when I moved my other characters. I might take a look again at Live server if I cannot get on Genesis, but this is with big reservations.

On Hib I would play a Warden, on Alb I would use either a cleric, heretic or friar (all xfer from Mordred) and on Mid my choice is limited to a Shaman.

Would all the gear from Mordred characters get purged? As they are wearing a mix of chain and scale.

If the new company in charge of DaoC decides to launch a classic server this would probably mean the end of the Freeshards, but it would be a Morale Victory in the end. So I really hope someone over there is listening.

I expect a huge subscription spike if they decide to do it. And they can count on my money.

What is the real reason they took over DaoC? Have they published any other long term plans?

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/mordred-and-camlann-transfers-are-now-open

I don't remember what the compensation items were but it was pretty easy to get going again. I really miss having lw champ's with all 3 damage types but oh well.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Combo posted:

Still 29, I stopped since I'm in no rush, but my 7 days is over so I have to figure out if I want to reactivate
I did, but I'm not a poor so :smug:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Meatsicle posted:

I did, but I'm not a poor so :smug:

Ha, its just a matter of if I will feel like playing in even another week or so, and I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I'm not even sure if I care to play tonight.

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
Got a cleric to 50 on alb genesis, necro is 47 at the moment. Got a small guild of dudes going to, some from the realm I played on live.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Genesis Talk :

I had an awesome couple of runs with a French guild, and after a couple of server reboots the combat was fairly smooth.
Are we close to getting a full guild group yet? Maybe in US time? Because when I play there are barely 3 people online or so.

Ywain Talk :
Thanks for the Mordred info, I don't remember what kind of gear they all had, if Genesis doesn't improve its stability issues over the next few weeks I might give Live a chance again.

Live Classic talk :
No official word yet on a Classic server, but a brief poll on Genesis shows that people would literally throw their money at a well supported server with Genesis content (+ maybe a few quality of life features). Unbelievable they still did not milk that cow yet.(Un an illuster freeshard as Genesis 12k accounts have been made, 12k x 10$/month at least to be made with 10 year old code. How on earth...

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Genesis bros: I know that, generally speaking, healers/CC and such are more needed than dps and such but I'll be playing HIBERNIA on Genesis and was gonna see if anything is under represented before I devoted myself to a class.

I played Hibernia on Live [Gawaine] mostly as a r6 animist, r6 bainshee, r7 blademaster and r6 bard so [given time to get back into the swing] I'm comfortable on any of those but I've also mostly played healers since then so really anything would work.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Evernoob posted:

Unbelievable they still did not milk that cow yet.(Un an illuster freeshard as Genesis 12k accounts have been made, 12k x 10$/month at least to be made with 10 year old code. How on earth...

Not to mention all the people that would pay for 2 or more accounts. I really hope the new dev studio realizes the opportunity they have.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

Rannison posted:

Genesis bros: I know that, generally speaking, healers/CC and such are more needed than dps and such but I'll be playing HIBERNIA on Genesis and was gonna see if anything is under represented before I devoted myself to a class.

I played Hibernia on Live [Gawaine] mostly as a r6 animist, r6 bainshee, r7 blademaster and r6 bard so [given time to get back into the swing] I'm comfortable on any of those but I've also mostly played healers since then so really anything would work.

Who were you on gawaine if you don't mind me asking? Also BM's, enchanters, elds, and druid/bard are all fairly popular. I have a BM and an animist for farming on hib side if you wanna hit me up my name is Lash on my BM and Porta on my animimst. I've been playing my savage more on mid side now days, but if you need me for any fun things I can hop over and help out.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

nousername posted:

Who were you on gawaine if you don't mind me asking? Also BM's, enchanters, elds, and druid/bard are all fairly popular. I have a BM and an animist for farming on hib side if you wanna hit me up my name is Lash on my BM and Porta on my animimst. I've been playing my savage more on mid side now days, but if you need me for any fun things I can hop over and help out.

I was:

Ninx - Blademaster
Ninxa - Bainshee
Braer - Animist
Muzzy - Bard

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I rolled a bard on Genesis tonight with my buddy who made a BM. I'm rather liking the increased xp rate, went from 1-19 in a few hours with a solid group.

Bard's name is Obviously. Obviously Terrible.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I found healer classes to be most easily leveled on Genesis : Group exp >>> Solo exp and you -always- find groups as a healer, and often you can be half a dozen levels below the rest of the group so capped exp is pretty much guaranteed.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Ima be all "ey yo bitch, I hear you like diamond seals. I'll give you Endurance regen and half of my diamond seals if you take me along"

And with my awesome name they can't say no.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Too bad hib almost never has df.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Would be a good idea, but lately I haven't seen them Hibbies control DF much. In my playing hours its Mid/Alb.

Best exp 15-40 is definitely in the frontiers, close to a controlled keep. Hib Frontier though might be a little iffy as it's the main 8v8 roaming ground.

I finally respecced my Healer to Aug/Mend. I am gonna miss my PoM and AE stun for PvE though, but in PvP I had to face it : I'm too slow to properly insta-mez and I don't even want to lead the 8-man, which a Pac Healer should do. On the other hand I'm a pro healer which I really enjoy doing.

I was looking at which class to level as an Alt. As much as I would love to play a mellee class they're not for me. Are hunters that broken? Because they seem like a fun class to play as an alt ,especially in the lower level BG's and as a solo scout in Emain.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it feels like radar usage on Genesis is super high. Is it like this on live or is it a freeshard only thing?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Is it? Haven't really noticed much of it and while part of a roaming 8-man if another 8-man intercepts us I don't really seen an issue. Usually both groups see eachother a couple of seconds before the start of the engagement, so the fight is still relatively fair.

For stealthers and expers in the frontier this could indeed be a real issue.

Also our 8man tries to never add when a Mid group is already engaged with an enemy group. Neither do the "Rare" guys, who have a really good reputation about this.
So as long as 16mans don't become an issue neither will Radar.

(that said, I condemn the use of any hacks/exploits/mods whatsoever that give an unfair advantage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Evernoob posted:

Also our 8man tries to never add when a Mid group is already engaged with an enemy group. Neither do the "Rare" guys, who have a really good reputation about this.
So as long as 16mans don't become an issue neither will Radar.
I've never understood this attitude. It's supposed to be a war. Do you not kill grays XPing in the frontier because it isn't "fair?" What about soloers and small mans? Same thing, really.

Red is dead, brah.

• Locked thread