Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like a good idea. Although I'd replace or alternate drunk driving wrecks with scarred livers, FAS babies, and corpses of people who have choked on their own vomit. Alcohol is an incredibly dangerous drug (the Nutt harm scale puts it more harmful than tobacco) and so there's nothing wrong in being consistent.

Also every "Welcome to [City]" sign should have a big picture of diseased lungs under it until they sort their loving air quality out.

Yeah, I love it because it's a fair;y agreeable attempt at reducto ad absurdium. We absolutely should be aware of the dangers of our lifestyle!

AtraMorS posted:

It has nothing to do with left/right wing. It has everything to do with loving with someone's object of addiction. Smokers may not be strung out junkies pawning their grandma's TV, but they are addicts, and liberals and conservatives alike react negatively when you start messing with their ability to feed it. Their thinking usually just isn't clear on the subject.

Seriously, I'm saying this as a left-wing smoker who's heard plenty of left-leaning people express the same sentiment. We know our own. Not everything comes back to ideology.

I think it's more about the attitude to FREEDOM being discussed. I'm left wing and have been trying to quit smoking since christmas. Things like plain packaging, advertising bans, 70% packaging being cancer warnings, and outdoor smoking bans are all fine with me. It really is a nasty and dangerous habit that people should be kept away from. Would you agree this is something the right wing are known for despising? (The nanny state ideal, that is).

Now if you tried an outright ban or removing my cigarettes, I know it's a good idea in theory, but I'm pretty sure I'd flip the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Spangly A posted:

Would you agree this is something the right wing are known for despising? (The nanny state ideal, that is).
In general, sure, the "nanny state" is a conservative line of rhetoric.

And my point is that if you want to hear a left-winger or a liberal repeat that line of conservative rhetoric, one of your best bets is going to be in the smoking section. They don't repeat it because they are conservative people, either in attitude or ideology; they repeat it because it conveniently rationalizes their behavior.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There is still an attitude of paternalism entrenched in some parts of the traditional right, sometimes seen as a duty to protect the lower classes from themselves, other times as a duty to protect the institution of the family or whatever their ideal 'natural' unit of society is.
For example, not all of the original drug warriors had a massive hard-on for a private prison-industrial system or wanted an excuse for mass incarceration, some of them genuinely believed that the masses were incapable of self-control and need to be firmly led by their aristocratic or intellectual betters.

It's mostly in the era of neoliberalism that this type of thing has come to be pointed mostly against the left, with the right being seen to oppose government control (while fully supporting it for things that they don't like), and it's interesting that it has been feminized in doing so, with 'nanny state' replacing 'paternalism'.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

McDowell posted:

Speaking of Bush here's something topical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx49KA_IW-Y

He admits he didn't know where Slovenia was in 2000, but I'm sure as time went on he began to understand the magnitude of his job (while Cheney has been playing power chess for decades).

I'm half Slovenian, and I barely know where Slovenia is. I think most Slovenians hardly knew where Slovenia was for much of the last century. My grandfather is from Slovenia. My grandfather and his two brothers were all born in the same house, in three different countries.

Given Bush's vast array of actual faults, I don't think not knowing where Slovenia is rates as particularly noteworthy.

Edit:

Spangly A posted:

Now if you tried an outright ban or removing my cigarettes, I know it's a good idea in theory, but I'm pretty sure I'd flip the gently caress out.

No, it's a horrible idea both in theory and in practice. Regulation has flaws, but prohibition is a loving calamity. You'd think we'd have figured that out, by now, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 24, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AtraMorS posted:

It has nothing to do with left/right wing. It has everything to do with loving with someone's object of addiction. Smokers may not be strung out junkies pawning their grandma's TV, but they are addicts, and liberals and conservatives alike react negatively when you start messing with their ability to feed it. Their thinking usually just isn't clear on the subject.

Sure, but why single out tobacco for gross out pictures on the package? Cookies should come with a picture of a big fat gut.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Centripetal Horse posted:

No, it's a horrible idea both in theory and in practice. Regulation has flaws, but prohibition is a loving calamity. You'd think we'd have figured that out, by now, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

We have far better methods of nicotine delivery tbh, given what we know about how harmful the non-addictive combustion byproducts in cigarettes are, I genuinely believe that we should be looking at a tobacco ban and pushing hard for vapes and patches as primary delivery systems.

But as I say I'd be buying shitloads of filthy recycled baccy within minutes because that's just how this works.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
My suuuuuuuuper Catholic friend posted this on her wall. For some reason it just tickled me. Here's the article if you want to read it.

"Drugs have side effects. News at 11."

I almost want to ask my friend what she thinks the alternative is to birth control in modern society (if we can accept the idea that people are going to have sex for reasons outside of procreation) but I know her answer will be to wait until marriage and then following the Catholic guidelines for natural family planning and I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole with her.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
'Don't use contraception, use natural family planning', says celebrity spokesman with the cashflow and support to raise a child. The concept of 'not ready' or 'unwanted pregnancy' must be foreign to her.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Our goal with this film is to wake women up to the unexposed side effects of these powerful medications and the unforeseen consequences of repressing women’s natural cycles."

I thought the whole point of the pill was to create a natural cycle, for no other reason than that John Rock was a devout Catholic and believed that having one week out of every four be a placebo would make it a 'chemically assisted rhythm method' rather than a form of contraception, which in the end was not bought by the Pope.

I remember reading that this had health side effects, and the best way to prescribe the pill would be for it to be taken constantly at a lower dose, rather than Rock's augmented rhythm method.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

'Don't use contraception, use natural family planning', says celebrity spokesman with the cashflow and support to raise a child. The concept of 'not ready' or 'unwanted pregnancy' must be foreign to her.

Which is weird, since she hosted a trashy talk show in the 90's.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's also enormously sinful to use medication to temper the natural cycles of disease and sickness, right? No more flu shots, which spit in the face of God as man's affront to his plan? No pain medication restricting the natural process of suffering, as Jesus did on the cross?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
This is probably a repeat given how dated the content is, but still pretty loving disgusting. 3 friends have shared it already this morning :(

"Hay remember that time all those poor blacks drowned? HAR HAR HAR"

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

It always annoys me when people say "the Bible says x" then don't quote the drat passage.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

duffmensch posted:

Apparently Common Core now breaks the minds of innocent cancer survivors. Of course, no examples of the dubious math problems were provided, but Common Core must be repealed immediately!

Article link

quote:

While lowering the bar on what “college readiness” means, CC emphasizes “out of the box” reasoning to solving problems, but confuses children with multiple ways of solving simple problems, leading to a lot of frustration,as suggested by the powerful image above.

How can you lower the bar on college readiness while also teaching abstract reasoning, making math problems more complex, and teaching multiple methods for solving problems???? :psyduck:

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like a good idea. Although I'd replace or alternate drunk driving wrecks with scarred livers, FAS babies, and corpses of people who have choked on their own vomit. Alcohol is an incredibly dangerous drug (the Nutt harm scale puts it more harmful than tobacco) and so there's nothing wrong in being consistent.

Also every "Welcome to [City]" sign should have a big picture of diseased lungs under it until they sort their loving air quality out.

My friend went through treatment for opiate addiction and he says the worst people he saw at the treatment facility weren't the heroin addicts, meth heads, or crack heads but the people recovering from Xanex/Alcohol addiction. He said he would regularly see one of them go straight into convulsions/epileptics on the food line.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 24, 2014

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Her last line is the greatest.

"We're gonna be pleasing each other, and if he knows what pleases him and can please himself, then why am I in the picture?"

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It's also enormously sinful to use medication to temper the natural cycles of disease and sickness, right? No more flu shots, which spit in the face of God as man's affront to his plan? No pain medication restricting the natural process of suffering, as Jesus did on the cross?
According to my cousin, pain and disease are unnatural, whereas a woman being constantly pregnant during her fertile years is 100% natural.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well I guess it is easier if you get to pick and choose what is natural vs. unnatural in order to support your argument.

If a woman has an unusually heavy menstrual cycle, it's ok to use midol but not birth control to regulate and temper it? I dated a woman once who was on birth control despite not being sexually active just to moderate her period. She was catholic, too.

e: Unsurprisingly, the book which inspired the documentary which the lifesite article mentions is based in misreported and incorrect information: http://bitchmagazine.org/post/dissecting-sweetening-the-pill-a-completely-frustrating-new-book-on-birth-control

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 24, 2014

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sure, but why single out tobacco for gross out pictures on the package? Cookies should come with a picture of a big fat gut.

Cause I can't see my own diseased lungs. I can already see my big fat gut just fine, though, thank you :colbert:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Nice Davis posted:

Cause I can't see my own diseased lungs. I can already see my big fat gut just fine, though, thank you :colbert:

Should be a "Have You Seen Me?" panel with a picture of feet, then.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Should be a "Have You Seen Me?" panel with a picture of feet, then.

Or a picture of genitals, which works on a couple if levels.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

coronaball posted:

This is probably a repeat given how dated the content is, but still pretty loving disgusting. 3 friends have shared it already this morning :(

Isn't Larry actually pretty progressive? Like, I can see why they'd try and make him into their mouthpiece, but at the same time don't they realize that ultimately his act is that he's a lovable idiot?

edit:

Centripetal Horse posted:

The problem with this statement is that while you can argue that the prohibition of alcohol was wrong because ultimately unless a drunk gets behind the wheel of a car, nobody is going to get hurt except for him.

With all the evidence mounting of second hand smoke being just about as bad as smoking yourself, everybody whom is smoking is basically either knowingly or unknowingly poisoning everyone around them. They don't even really have a choice in the matter for family members and children. Your friends can of course always just stay away until you're done smoking, but I have the feeling that won't really work long term.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 24, 2014

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I know Greg Gutfeld was mentioned earlier in the comedy derail, and guess who popped up in my facebook feed this morning?

I went and actually found the source of the quote, and the context makes it even worse. From back in 2011:

Greg Gutfeld posted:

GREG GUTFELD, CO-HOST: So, a South Carolina sheriff is urging women to get concealed weapons permits and carry a gun. Sheriff Chuck Wright said this after an arrest of a suspected rapist yesterday, telling women to pack a .45 because they would haven't to be accurate. Just close.

And it's true, guns do make a bigger hole than mace and unlike rape whistle, they provide instant ventilation. Wright even suggested keeping the gun in a fanny pack instantly making fanny packs cooler than they ever should be.

He's right, though. Remember, women possess far less muscle mass than men. So, a gun provides the equalizer that Mother Nature forgot.

And common sense tells you if you give a rapist a choice of who to rape, an armed or unarmed woman, who is he going to pick?

In my head is Smith & Wesson does more for empowering women than feminism ever could. Think about it. Right now, not a single feminist group is piped up about the toxic atmosphere at the "Occupy" protests where rapes and assaults go unreported all for the greater good.

So, maybe the true feminist icon shouldn't be Gloria Steinem but Annie Oakley.

The fact is, keeping a piece is the only way to keep the peace. So, get one to match your shoes.
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/transcript/feminism-or-firearms-what-empowers-women-more

I feel like this is along the lines of Fox News and conservative racism, where if you point out how horribly sexist (not to mention idiotic) this is, they'll accuse you of being the real sexist.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

E-Tank posted:

Isn't Larry actually pretty progressive? Like, I can see why they'd try and make him into their mouthpiece, but at the same time don't they realize that ultimately his act is that he's a lovable idiot?

Not even a little.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Or a picture of genitals, which works on a couple if levels.

Okay guys, yes. ha ha ha. Fat people are funny because fat people have no self control/are stupid. It can't be that there are a myriad of various potential causes for weight gain, including stress, disease, and my personal friend depression. It's just that everybody who is overweight is just a complete and utter manchild :btroll:

Believe it or not, being reminded that "Ha ha you're a fatass slob!" Does not help others lose stress, nor does it help them lose weight. People don't go "Haha, Yeah, you're right. I am fat! I guess I better just go to the gym and not leave for a week". They get their feelings hurt. Potentially deepening any depression or other mental stresses. Want to help? Ask them to go for a walk with you.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 24, 2014

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

JohnClark posted:

I know Greg Gutfeld was mentioned earlier in the comedy derail, and guess who popped up in my facebook feed this morning?

I went and actually found the source of the quote, and the context makes it even worse. From back in 2011:

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/transcript/feminism-or-firearms-what-empowers-women-more

I feel like this is along the lines of Fox News and conservative racism, where if you point out how horribly sexist (not to mention idiotic) this is, they'll accuse you of being the real sexist.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

E-Tank posted:

Okay guys, yes. ha ha ha. Fat people are funny because fat people have no self control/are stupid. It can't be that there are a myriad of various potential causes for weight gain, including stress, disease, and my personal friend depression. It's just that everybody who is overweight is just a complete and utter manchild :btroll:

Believe it or not, being reminded that "Ha ha you're a fatass slob!" Does not help others lose stress, nor does it help them lose weight. People don't go "Haha, Yeah, you're right. I am fat! I guess I better just go to the gym and not leave for a week". They get their feelings hurt. Potentially deepening any depression or other mental stresses. Want to help? Ask them to go for a walk with you.

So smokers deserve paternalistic gross out pics on their addiction but fat people are off limits because it's shaming. Ok.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

So smokers deserve paternalistic gross out pics on their addiction but fat people are off limits because it's shaming. Ok.

I somehow forgot that my fat causes other people lung cancer. How silly of me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

djw175 posted:

I'm not trying to get in an unhealthy lifestyle pissing match here, I just think it's stupid as hell for anyone to claim that their unhealthy lifestyle is beyond reproach while simultaneously arguing for increased restrictions on a vice they do not consume.

Full disclosure I am fat, a smoker, an alcoholic, I abuse drugs, and have risky sexual behavior. Now you should be able to triangulate how offensive my statements are w/r/t your personal situation.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 24, 2014

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

E-Tank posted:

Jesus Christ you're insufferable. Ever stop to think that maybe the person you're tearing into like a rabid terrier might be a fat guy engaging in a bit of self-deprecating humor? Assuming that the guy making fat jokes is a skinny guy who hates fat people is worse than fat jokes themselves.

Oh, and I can't "go for a walk" with anyone, asshat. I can barely stand because of a back injury that my weight exacerbates.

djw175 posted:

To be fair, those diseased lung pictures are "this is what you are doing to yourself", not "this is what you are doing to others". So your "my fat" versus "others' lungs" thing is kind of misplaced, hth.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Jesus Christ you're insufferable. Ever stop to think that maybe the person you're tearing into like a rabid terrier might be a fat guy engaging in a bit of self-deprecating humor? Assuming that the guy making fat jokes is a skinny guy who hates fat people is worse than fat jokes themselves.

Oh, and I can't "go for a walk" with anyone, asshat. I can barely stand because of a back injury that my weight exacerbates.

To be fair, those diseased lung pictures are "this is what you are doing to yourself", not "this is what you are doing to others". So your "my fat" versus "others' lungs" thing is kind of misplaced, hth.

How exactly am I supposed to magically divine this knowledge? I'm sorry for your situation, it sounds really lovely.

SA has a history of pointing and laughing at fat people, I took that into evidence that this was just another one of those times.

I again apologize for your lovely situation, and I apologize if I offended you.

I'm not trying to get in an unhealthy lifestyle pissing match here, I just think it's stupid as hell for anyone to claim that their unhealthy lifestyle is beyond reproach while simultaneously arguing for increased restrictions on a vice they do not consume.

The difference between the two:

You do not need to smoke in order to live.

You do need to eat in order to live.

You need to willingly choose to pick up that cigarette and smoke it.

You do not always get to willingly choose to gain weight or have trouble exercising.

I'm fat, I'm fat and I have asthma that triggers on exercise so I basically have two choices, I can run for about 20 minutes and then pass out from lack of oxygen, or I can sit around and not lose the weight and in fact potentially gain weight. I have been stared at, I have been insulted for being fat, all because of a loving lovely rear end situation that is out of my control. Please forgive me for thinking that you thumbing your nose and :smug:ing it up here about how I'm trying to have my 'unhealthy lifestyle' left alone when I didn't have a loving choice in the matter can :fuckoff:. You don't become an 'accidental smoker'. You don't become a smoker due to medical conditions. You become a smoker because you paid for a cigarette, smoked it in, felt your lungs burning, and said "I like this poo poo, I want to continue this poo poo."

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 24, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Blarghalt posted:

I've found people who really defend their smoking are always right-wing. BEHOLD:

"My Dogs Vote"

What?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"My Dogs Vote"

What?

Their dogs vote. Whats so confusing?

:smugdog:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

coronaball posted:

Is it like, not alarming to them when they're just straight up not giving a poo poo if people of the other political orientation are killed?

For all the poo poo they pile on liberals, they never accuse liberals of not giving a gently caress if they died, or hoping it'll happen.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

HipGnosis posted:

So we start with this; Bush and LL101 admitting Obama is incompetent. But then....

he's apparently an all-powerful despot whose authoritarian madness knows no bounds????

What is the name of this fallacy? It's quite common. The inherent contradiction between a leader as a stumbling baffoon and simultaneously Big Brother. I was just explaining it to someone last night but I can't remember the name for the specific concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vey7GKNpl4Q

EDIT: Ok maybe this isn't exactly what you're talking about but it reminded me of this episode. :spergin:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"My Dogs Vote"

What?

This can also be covered by that same simpsons episode, but I can't find the clip.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 24, 2014

Parachute
May 18, 2003

E-Tank posted:

The difference between the two:

You do not need to smoke in order to live.

You do need to eat in order to live.

You need to willingly choose to pick up that cigarette and smoke it.

You do not always get to willingly choose to gain weight or have trouble exercising.

I'm fat, I'm fat and I have asthma that triggers on exercise so I basically have two choices, I can run for about 20 minutes and then pass out from lack of oxygen, or I can sit around and not lose the weight and in fact potentially gain weight. I have been stared at, I have been insulted for being fat, all because of a loving lovely rear end situation that is out of my control. Please forgive me for thinking that you thumbing your nose and :smug:ing it up here about how I'm trying to have my 'unhealthy lifestyle' left alone when I didn't have a loving choice in the matter can :fuckoff:. You don't become an 'accidental smoker'. You don't become a smoker due to medical conditions. You become a smoker because you paid for a cigarette, smoked it in, felt your lungs burning, and said "I like this poo poo, I want to continue this poo poo."

Aside from extenuating circumstances, you also definitely have a choice of what and how much to eat.

Edit: Everyone knows Afghan hounds are too dumb to vote.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

E-Tank posted:

You don't become an 'accidental smoker'. You don't become a smoker due to medical conditions. You become a smoker because you paid for a cigarette, smoked it in, felt your lungs burning, and said "I like this poo poo, I want to continue this poo poo."

Yo shut the gently caress up you're dumb as hell and wrong in an offensive fashion.

You can compensate for a lack of ability to exercise by eating properly. Otoh, smoking is an addiction and most people start young when they're vulnerable to peer pressure and social conditioning. It is the medical condition.

See, now you're the awful human being. Or you can get some loving insight and realise that circumstances dictate our life and smokers need help. I wouldn't normally want to loving garotte you but at the moment I'm experiencing a withdrawal that feels a hell of a lot worse than starving to death and I've tried both. Right now, I'd give up food before cigarettes. The rational, insightful part of my mind is the bit saying "Hey, this is dumb and a problem, I'm glad I'm getting help for this."

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Yo shut the gently caress up you're dumb as hell and wrong in an offensive fashion.

You can compensate for a lack of ability to exercise by eating properly. Otoh, smoking is an addiction and most people start young when they're vulnerable to peer pressure and social conditioning. It is the medical condition.

See, now you're the awful human being. Or you can get some loving insight and realise that circumstances dictate our life and smokers need help. I wouldn't normally want to loving garotte you but at the moment I'm experiencing a withdrawal that feels a hell of a lot worse than starving to death and I've tried both. Right now, I'd give up food before cigarettes. The rational, insightful part of my mind is the bit saying "Hey, this is dumb and a problem, I'm glad I'm getting help for this."

Alright, Alright. I apologize. I clearly don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about and I'm an idiot.

And I've tried eating properly, and yet I never seem to lose any weight. :sigh:

Look, just...I'm sorry, I'm a moron. I opened my mouth without knowing anything. I know that people with addictions need help.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 24, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

E-Tank posted:

Alright, Alright. I apologize. I clearly don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about and I'm an idiot.

It is pretty ill advised to tell someone who is addicted to nicotine that they had a choice, but you simply cannot control your weight gain because reasons.

So if one assumes that pictures of tar lung would be effective against tobacco addiction, then why wouldn't it be even more effective to put pictures of obese people on junk food?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 24, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jesus Christ, it was a self-deprecating (fatass chiming in here!) joke. I'm sorry for my contribution to this idiotic derail.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

E-Tank posted:

It's cool man, I'm 24 hours without a cig and not happy about it :v: Didn't mean to get so personal, I apologise.

Just remember that smokers aren't all well-informed, insightful about their addiction, and choosing hedonism. Smokers don't like smoking. But it stops being a choice pretty quick, just like somebody isn't really making a life choice when they feel like poo poo, can't go to the gym, and eat something that's not the healthiest for them.

Which is the point really: you want to put people off smoking any way you can find that works, because it works out better for everyone. And I'd agree that we should be doing the same with junk food. Not in a "Lol fat" way, but if there was evidence that images of transfats lodged in your veins stopped people eating maccy Ds? I'd be for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"My Dogs Vote"

What?

I think it has something to do with that racist forwarded email about "my dogs are now on welfare". You know which one I'm talking about. Recently about "my dogs are now on Obamacare".
Altough it's quite a stretch.