Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

Which makes it nice that it's not efficiently killed by one of the most common kill spells in modern. 2/4 :getin:. Also pathing it after it gets to play a land (without passing priority, etc) seems like pretty bad feel bads too but that's a turn later than just dropping the courser.

I'm going to toss these into my Prime Speaker Bant deck and I'll probably be throwing it out on the turns I should be playing Polukranos. That way T3 Polu T4 Courser gets that value.

And then I slam for five. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't play standard anymore, but if I have playsets of AOT jace, sphinx's, verdict, and det sphere, that's still a deck, right?

Like a really good deck?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You need some number of Elspeth's and/or Aetherlings but the rest of the cards for UW control are pretty trivial to pick up. On the other hand, you could sell all of that and play in a cool format instead.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

You need some number of Elspeth's and/or Aetherlings but the rest of the cards for UW control are pretty trivial to pick up. On the other hand, you could sell all of that and play in a cool format instead.

gently caress selling em, sphinx and verdict are awesome. I already play legacy and modern, but if I have the stuff for standard then why not, right?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mortimer posted:

gently caress selling em, sphinx and verdict are awesome. I already play legacy and modern, but if I have the stuff for standard then why not, right?

It's the principle of the matter. Any format without Uktabi Orangutan is NO FRIEND OF MINE.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Does Sphinx's see much play in the eternal formats?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Loving Life Partner posted:

Does Sphinx's see much play in the eternal formats?

As a one or two of in modern. Same as verdict.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It's in the UWR Modern decks, but it's way too slow for Legacy or Vintage.

Edit: ^^^I believe Miracles ran Supreme Verdict for a time. I also seem to remember Esperblade lists running one or two to deal with Lackey nut draws before Deathrite Shaman killed that dream for Goblin players. It may have been the straight UW Blade lists I'm thinking of, though.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 24, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Stinky Pit posted:

If you can't connect with the emotions a person feels when they get close to accomplishing something that means something to them and they fall short then I feel bad for you because you must have lived an incredibly timid and unadventurous life.

Clearly the guy just needs to go back and watch Cool Runnings.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Stinky Pit posted:

You could pick up the guts of a Mono Black Dev deck. If you skip on the Mutavaults and Thoughtseizes, the deck's only expensive cards are Pack Rat/Specter/Desecration Demon, all of them under 10 dollars.

The issue is that, if you skip on the two best cards in the deck, mono-black is nearly unplayable.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
You'd also need to pick up Lifebane Zombies and Erebos for the sideboard, which aren't cheap either.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

tzirean posted:

The issue is that, if you skip on the two best cards in the deck, mono-black is nearly unplayable.

This is pretty much the only reason I haven't devolved into a gibbering fool and played Mono Black.

I'm too sane to spend $160+ on Mutavaults. For now, anyway.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

This is pretty much the only reason I haven't devolved into a gibbering fool and played Mono Black.

I'm too sane to spend $160+ on Mutavaults. For now, anyway.

Wanna buy a set for $120? :P

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

Wanna buy a set for $120? :P

Still no, I have to buy Dark Souls 2, you know. :colbert:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Morningtide/Idyllic+Tutor#online what happened here.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Boxman posted:

Add [B][B][B] to your mana pool.

Target player gains control of your inheritance.

RME fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 24, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Enchantment tutor in modern. Probably someone won a game on a stream with 3 people witnessing it and by next week it will be $45. Just part of the inevitable match toward $5,000 decks in the 'accessible' eternal format.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

toadee posted:

Enchantment tutor in modern. Probably someone won a game on a stream with 3 people witnessing it and by next week it will be $45. Just part of the inevitable match toward $5,000 decks in the 'accessible' eternal format.

I love this game.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Might be the deck I'm playing in Modern, a variation of that Travis Woo deck he won a few matches with on stream. There's lists (to Travis's and Dissolution's, the more well-known player of this archetype) in the Eternal thread.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

toadee posted:

But it's ok cuz if we only had $500 decks in modern it would lose it's collector's appeal. Also something about a special journey.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fox of Stone posted:

Also something about a special journey.

Something something great sacrifice to enjoy the pleasures of "the good format" something something.

And somehow that's fine.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fox of Stone posted:

But it's ok cuz if we only had $500 decks in modern it would lose it's collector's appeal. Also something about a special journey.

It would be bad if they were cheaper because it would hurt Hasbro's bottom line

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

toadee posted:

I guess that means now is probably the time to sell...most stores on TCG are up to $10 for lightly played.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tharizdun posted:

I'm excited for the few weeks before everyone realizes that Courser of Kruphix is a expend-all-resource, "kill on sight" threat on par with a Planeswalker.

It's interesting that the two GR monster decks that placed higher at the open actually used other 3 drops instead. I think there are good arguments to be made for fanatic and boon satyr, but some non-zero number of coursers seems right.

I realize that commerce chat is very speculative, but what do people think the high is on a non-splashable, very good rare, if courser turns out to have legs?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 24, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Modern has caused literally every card I've gone 'eh someday Ill grab some of those' with to become ridiculously priced. gently caress Modern and/or gently caress WoTC for not printing to support it.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Kinda neat alter. PYF alter

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

toadee posted:

Modern has caused literally every card I've gone 'eh someday Ill grab some of those' with to become ridiculously priced. gently caress Modern and/or gently caress WoTC for not printing to support it.

WotC is trying. They're just really slow.

See: The Shocklands and Thoughtseize.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

I've still never understood this... Hasbro doesn't sell on the secondary market, and every mom-and-pop I've been to doesn't even have gripfuls of Tarmagoyfs in their case, so it's not like they'd lose anything. And the knock-on effect of more people getting their hands on the money cards is gonna pop all the value uncommons/lower-end rares to make them affordable, too. It's totally :signings:

Someday I'm gonna do an effortpost collecting all the chicken-littling along with Bleiweiss's article, proof that reprints spike prices not tank them (at least on originals), etc etc.

Until then, at least I won a bet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Stinky Pit posted:

R/G or R/W are going to give a creature based aggro strategy big problems. You could pick up the guts of a Mono Black Dev deck. If you skip on the Mutavaults and Thoughtseizes, the deck's only expensive cards are Pack Rat/Specter/Desecration Demon, all of them under 10 dollars. The piles of removal will do you wonders for the creature dependant R/G and R/W strategies.

MonoU is actually better than MonoB against those decks in my experience and it's cheaper to build as the Mutavaults aren't as important as they are in MonoB (though they are still great.) The cost is going to be in Thassa and Master which aren't more than 60 bucks for playsets and Spectors are another 25ish.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

WotC is trying. They're just really slow.

See: The Shocklands and Thoughtseize.

Great so by the time I'm 65 there will be a couple of decently priced decks!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

pointsofdata posted:

If cards were cheaper it would mean that they're getting reprinted. I think True Name Nemesis and the entirety of Modern Masters does a pretty good job of showing what happens when wotc prints/reprints money cards, and all of that is going to be people cracking packs and buying precon product, not buying on a secondary market that they have no stake in.

On a similar note I'm curious what their plan for Legacy is. As the game continues growing we're going to see more and more people wanting to buy an already small number of dual lands, and I can't imagine the format keeps thriving when mana bases reach 5k by themselves.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

MonoU is actually better than MonoB against those decks in my experience and it's cheaper to build as the Mutavaults aren't as important as they are in MonoB (though they are still great.) The cost is going to be in Thassa and Master which aren't more than 60 bucks for playsets and Spectors are another 25ish.

I can vouch for this. I have MonoU all sleeved up, no Mutavaults, I just replaced them with 2 islands and an extra copy of AoT and Domestication, deck works fine.
Plus the Masters of Waves have been seeing play in non-Standard formats so they should at least retain their value for a while.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Some guy tried to buy two cases of Magic from a local Long Island store, but when they hadn't shipped out the product and avoided his phone calls and emails, he posted about it on Reddit. The store responded by creating an account to curse him out and posting his personal information on Facebook:

In an ironic - and very sad - twist, a few years ago when BluPlanet first opened, I had gone in and promised to help him get his DCI sanctioning. Then I had three close relatives die over the span of three weeks, and completely forgot about him. Later on I found out that he resented me for not helping. So I found his "You'll understand when you have someone close to you die" spiel pretty interesting. So I sympathize with him on knowing how much a death in the family can mess up business practices, but this thing has exploded all over Facebook around here, and he's looking really bad.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

netcat posted:

Kinda neat alter. PYF alter

I like these. :)

and they are for sale, I have been thinking of buying them for a while.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

toadee posted:

Great so by the time I'm 65 there will be a couple of decently priced decks!

I feel bad for anyone who bought in to U/B Fae when the prices were absurd. RIP $120 playset of Mistbind Cliques. I don't feel bad for anyone who jumped on them to re-sell at over $10 though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Death Bot posted:

On a similar note I'm curious what their plan for Legacy is. As the game continues growing we're going to see more and more people wanting to buy an already small number of dual lands, and I can't imagine the format keeps thriving when mana bases reach 5k by themselves.

I think their plan for legacy is "continue to push modern." It's very, very obvious their hands are tied by the reserve list, and last I heard, official support for legacy tournaments is barely a trickle. I think they're perfectly happy letting SCG deal with that entire thing.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Samael posted:

I like these. :)

and they are for sale, I have been thinking of buying them for a while.

Don't buy these. They are a printed film and the art is not licensed, but stolen and the artist gets nothing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tharizdun posted:

I've still never understood this... Hasbro doesn't sell on the secondary market, and every mom-and-pop I've been to doesn't even have gripfuls of Tarmagoyfs in their case, so it's not like they'd lose anything. And the knock-on effect of more people getting their hands on the money cards is gonna pop all the value uncommons/lower-end rares to make them affordable, too. It's totally :signings:

Someday I'm gonna do an effortpost collecting all the chicken-littling along with Bleiweiss's article, proof that reprints spike prices not tank them (at least on originals), etc etc.

Until then, at least I won a bet

There's a good point to be made that having the secondary market completely evaporate under all the dealers and LGSs would be terrible for the game, and Hasbro doesn't want that (and neither do we).

The problem is that seemingly anytime anyone brings this point up in a debate, it's to make the claim (explicitly or implicitly) that having the prices merely descend back to a reasonable point for in-print card would constitute such complete evaporation and force all the retailers to close up shop rather than just, you know, selling mad amounts of boosters and shocklands (or whatever) and laughing all the way to the bank, or as close to laughing all the way to the bank as small game store owners ever get.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like to imagine how absurd modern prices will be when SCG finally switches over and does modern Sundays due to the larger player base. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Boxman posted:

Add [B][B][B] to your mana pool.

The ritual that involves sacrifice (of a creature) gives BBBB. ltp noob. :smug:

• Locked thread