Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I've had my fair share. I generally enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

simplefish posted:

I've had my fair share. I generally enjoy them.

We are talking about other people here, yes?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Absolutely. British people don't hate other people. We just don't want to impose on them.

Not that we're always in the mood for a chinwag, mind, and that's when the problems start: how can you politely separate yourself from someone who just won't shut up and won't follow established social cues?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

simplefish posted:

...how can you politely separate yourself from someone who just won't shut up and won't follow established social cues?

Stop attending town council meetings?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

I am so jealous of people who can sleep on planes. I literally wanted to kill myself the last time I was on a long flight by about hour 14.

Don't sleep the night before your flight. Trudge through security and boarding like a zombie and collapse into a 10 hour coma.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

VideoTapir posted:

Don't sleep the night before your flight. Trudge through security and boarding like a zombie and collapse into a 10 hour coma.

I drink as much beer as I can before leaving and I fall asleep on any plane quite easily. When we left Beijing, our plane was late so I had 9 Tsingtao cans from vending machines, my boss was looking at me chugging them quite impressed. He doesn't drink and didn't sleep on the plane - I slept almost all the way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VideoTapir posted:

Last time I had been awake for nearly three days beforehand. Didn't sleep a minute of the 16 hour flight.

The time before that I hadn't slept for two days and took sleeping pills once I got on board. Also did not sleep and let me tell you, being awake while dosed on sleeping pills is the worst thing ever. That's why I didn't take any the last time.

Calyn
Sep 3, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Last time I had been awake for nearly three days beforehand. Didn't sleep a minute of the 16 hour flight.

The time before that I hadn't slept for two days and took sleeping pills once I got on board. Also did not sleep and let me tell you, being awake while dosed on sleeping pills is the worst thing ever. That's why I didn't take any the last time.

Same here, I absolutely cannot fall asleep during flight. Tried sleeping pills just once and will never touch them again, that was the worst flight I ever had, hehe.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
The one time I managed to fall asleep on a flight the flight attendant woke me up 10 minutes later to offer me some peanuts :/

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have fallen asleep while having my teeth drilled.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I only fell asleep twice. One time I somehow slept for ten hours and woke up at the breakfast before landing. It was amazing. I also slept when going to Germany because my boss got us bumped up to premier coach or whatever coach plus is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have this dream that people who are able to fall asleep as soon as they get on board and wake up on landing basically invented teleportation and I hate them for it.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I can't nap in any case and feel like complete poo poo upon waking.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Senso posted:

I drink as much beer as I can before leaving and I fall asleep on any plane quite easily. When we left Beijing, our plane was late so I had 9 Tsingtao cans from vending machines, my boss was looking at me chugging them quite impressed. He doesn't drink and didn't sleep on the plane - I slept almost all the way.

I look forward to doing this in July when we had back home for a couple years. A fitting goodbye to China.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

simplefish posted:

Absolutely. British people don't hate other people. We just don't want to impose on them.

Not that we're always in the mood for a chinwag, mind, and that's when the problems start: how can you politely separate yourself from someone who just won't shut up and won't follow established social cues?

My coworker from Birmingham would politely disagree with you, and then change the topic and talk about whatever the gently caress he wanted, literally making EUUGGH AAAA AAAAANN noises to drown out any attempt to exploit a gap in his exposition. I've timed him. It took one interlocutor 8 minutes from when he clearly wanted to end the conversation to when he escaped.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
This is all true unless you are in London and the sun is shining in which case everyone goes insane, conversing on any number of random topics with complete strangers wearing nothing save their underwear in public parks.

Both meditation and yoga (or something like qigong) turn out to be excellent skills for long haul flying. They allow you to blend with sleeping and often arrive perfectly rested. Drinking on the other hand not so much since it dehydrates you and much of the jet lag effect is caused by dehydration. Particularly if you have to land and then work immediately the drinking strategy (which I have tried) does not work well.

I never take sleeping pills because of the risk mentioned of taking them and not being able to sleep, which sucks. Your flight sucks and you end up a wreck at the destination. I also don't like melatonin. If I have to function right away I will often take some sort of niacin based recovery drink after landing.

Exercise, water and sunshine on the top of the head (and back of the knees if possible) are pretty much the best cure for jet lag unless, as has also been mentioned, you happen to be flying someplace where these things will shorten your life span.

It is also typically easier to fall asleep right away if you can because of the pressure changes during take off.

Eat some fatty food before you get on the plane. Take something light and don't eat the plane food.. It is far better to fast than to eat the plane food.

Clean socks and don't wear your shoes while seated.

I always take some sort of hat that can be pulled over the eyes. Noise is not typically a big deal for me so I don't bother with more than in ear noise reducing head phones (rather than carting about noise canceling gear). Small children are of course the nemesis of regular long haul flyers.

Even with all that and a whole regimen about it I have frequently woken up someplace with no real recollection of where I am, how I traveled there or what was next. Complete disorientation lasting for a few moments upon waking up. Hong Kong seems to be the worst for this for some reason.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
The more you do it the easier it gets. Buy a luggage weight so you know before you get to the airport what you're carrying, and use backing cubes so moving things around in your suitcase is easy. Wrap your packed shoes in hairnets, put all your checked toiletries or snacks in double glad bags, and have put all your nonessential/hard-to-break electronics in static bags and Tupperware. If possible heck whatever you can--I hate having carry-ons beyond a backback. Rolling suitcases are the worst.

If you are a girlish goon, wear tights as pants, tank top + sweater, a pashima, and shoes that slip off. Wear socks 'cause no one likes hook worm. Pashima later becomes your blanket. But all your electronic cords in a holder, and place it and your kindle/tablet whatever into your laptop case. I have never had them ask me to take the stuff out. Put all your carry-on toiletries/meds/mini bottles of jack into one ziplock, which should chill in it's own special pocket in your backpack. Carry a notebook, a pen, and a book so if your electronics fail you're not screwed for entertainment (or take a Caberham approved electronic colostomy bag to recharge your stuff). Have the best meal available at the airport. Also mimosas if you drink.

For plane food, in case it sucks (HI DELTA), bring a powerbar and an empty tumbler--the lovely people at Starbucks will fill it for you at best and at worst you can prepack it with your tea mixings and make it yourself using one of the hot water dispensers.

Once on the plane shove your backpack under the seat, switch out the shoes for slippers, throw on your headphones, put a shitton of moisturizer on your face and hands, take your poison of meds and/or drink if you need help to sleep, put the pashima over you head if you've decided to hate your co-travelers on site, and pass out.

About four hours before landing wake up, wash your face and do your make-up, possibly change your clothes, and wait for landing with a book/casual conversation, or watching movies you would never otherwise allow yourself to watch (see: Beastly).

edit: also, hand sanitizer and Airborn.

FearCotton fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 24, 2014

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

FearCotton posted:

Wear socks 'cause no one likes hook worm.

Wait what? Is this a thing people worry about in planes?

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

waloo posted:

Wait what? Is this a thing people worry about in planes?

In the US and other countries you have to walk through security without your shoes. I've...seen things. Terrible things.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
All space under the seat in front of me is for my legs. I'm over six feet tall and my knees almost touch the seat in front.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I have made an alternative option.

Grand Fromage posted:

I have this dream that people who are able to fall asleep as soon as they get on board and wake up on landing basically invented teleportation and I hate them for it.

It's called business class :downsrim:

goldboilermark posted:

Here's how I do it, just for another view.

Ok time for Caber style~~~

quote:

I go to bed early the night before, knowing I have a flight the next day.

If it's a early morning flight, I online check in and then play video games all night long or go out and party all night long. I avoid sleep and pack my bags 3 hours before the flight. If it's really really crucial like important souvenirs or some sort of checked baggage then I will precheck the night before in the Hong Kong airport express train station.

quote:

I make sure to get to the airport early, and always travel light.

2 hours before departure I shower and procrastinate. Like that 90's commercial movie tickets.com I print my boarding pass last minute I then haul rear end into the train station. I'm getting old and my body can't stay up like before, so nowadays I'm feeling tired but I just pop a morning coffee and drink it on the train.

quote:

I have my computer bag with me on the airplane, and maybe another backpack as well,

Electronics bag is a must. I just use a big rear end Osprey Porter 46 Maximum American Legal carry on and stuff all my poo poo in there. I also use a Samsonite foldable toiletry bag. Besides a few clothes, I pack super light. If I'm going to Japan or AMERICA :911: then I stuff an empty duffel bag. The empty duffel bag is for souvenirs/costco poo poo/liquids like booze on the way back.

quote:

with a few books or something of the sort.

Kindle is stuffed in there. Books are cool but not when I got to carry them around. On the road

quote:

I check in, never having once worried if I am going to be bringing too much.

The gate agent gives me this dirty look. God drat it, it's you again Caberham? I give an apologetic grin and smile. They rush me through the staff line in security and I haul rear end to the gate. The essence of CABER STYLE~~~ Being just on time.

quote:

Before I go through security, I always look for the nicest known restaurant or food place I can find. Sometimes it is Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, Wendy's, whatever.

If it's Hong Kong International Airport, I go straight through security because the airport food is actually awesome. I get a bowl of shrimp wonton noodles before I go. I also buy last minute Wing Wah wife cakes, and tea/confectionary from the Peninsula. If I'm visiting other Chinese I bring in some duck/pork sausage.

If it's another airport, I roll my eyes at the lovely food and layout.

quote:

If I am in the States, I'll go to whatever pub or brewery is there. I understand I'm paying a bit extra, but the entire day is shot, so I might as well enjoy it.

American Airport bars rule. I don't care how full I am, I gotta sit down and enjoy a Bloody Mary or some Mac and Cheese. As I tip the servers I realize that I'm not in East Asia anymore :smith: Oh and of course I roll my eyes at the bad infrastructure. If I see fat people in Atlanta or American Airports I chortle. The flight/transfer is probably delayed so I roll my eyes.

quote:

I'll go through security and make pleasant small talk with the person in front or behind me.

My eyes roll so hard that it actually did a 720. All these other scrubs are beneath me. Not taking off their watches beforehand and bumbling through security. I dance through security like George Clooney in Up in the Air. Have my toiletry bag all folded out, with my nose clippers taken out, dump all my coins/phone/keys/poo poo into my jacket/coat, then I waltz through security and TSA. I make a tisk sound and sigh at everyone else's slow speed from time to time to kill time.

quote:

Maybe it is a guy going to Vegas for the first time, or a woodsmith who is heading back home to Oregon after being in New England for the last three months. I always wish them a safe trip with a genuine smile.

If it's a newbie Traveler I smirk and steer the away from him. "HI IM FLYING TO ASIA FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!". Shut up, I don't want to talk to you. If he looks like a sex tourist then I will probably chit chat a bit and try to snap his picture and post it to goooons.

poo poo he probably doesn't know how to put the bags into the overhead compartment properly and will probably knock someone's head when the bags fall. Or he's probably a loving idiot and has trouble filling in his Customs form.

One time though this really pregnant lady is going to Utah and got into a 6 hour delay. I actually offered her my ticket to switch but she has is travelling with 3 other kids so she's out of luck :smith: Her husband is serving in Afghanistan :smith:

quote:

After going through security, I make sure to thank the people who are working there for their service. They are usually pretty serious people, but they seem to appreciate that.

Roll my eyes. gently caress this security theatre poo poo. Maybe if America didn't have such a aggressive overlord foreign policy they wouldn't have to be so god drat paranoid all the time :can:

quote:

I go to find my gate, and stop at any bookseller I can find on the way there to see what books may be new. I love buying books at airports. Can't explain it, but I do.

I go to duty free and check out the wine selections. I roll my eyes if the prices are expensive or I see any Baijiu. If I see a dude binge buying Henessy XO Cognac I make a tisk sound. If it's Japan I go crazy and spend 300 bucks in 10 minutes.

quote:

If I find another eatery, or at least a place to grab some good snacks, I will.

More Airport bars! Hurray! If I got time (usually I don't) then I just chill out at the airline lounge. Great snacks, booze, showers, and power outlets for charging.

quote:

I know my flight coming up will probably be bare bones.

Flying to me is getting better and better. Airplane food and planes are much more comfortable nowadays compared to 20 years ago. Personal screen TV, USB ports, microphone plugs, etc... I have been flying on my own since I was 9 years old from Vancouver to Hong Kong. Back in the day, flying back to Hong Kong meant I could watch Dragon Ball Z in Cantonese :qq:

quote:

I understand that, because I am literally sitting in a seat 30,000 feet above the planet I live on. Anything I get on it goes in the win column. If I am wearing something nice at this point, I will change into sweatpants and a sweatshirt, and probably throw sandals on.

I get cold easily :smith: Before aerosol cans were banned, it was fun to spray Evian all over my face. Closing your eyes and twirling your face as droplets of liquid land on your face :feelsgood:

quote:

When it is time to board the plane, I let everyone rush, push and shove their way to the gate while I sit, sipping on whatever I am drinking and reading my book or playing on my phone.

It's either the first on board or last on board. Normally I'm the last 20 guys to board. I check the time and see how much down time I have to wait. Ideally, it's being in the gate just before the announcement.

quote:

Ideally I have a window or an aisle seat, and if it is not a full flight by the time I get on, I will just go straight to the back and look for an entire row to myself.

My flights are usually kinda full :smith:

quote:

I can usually put a bag above me at that point, and I will keep my computer bag under the seat in front of me. When I first get on I will inquire as to the drink service and see if I can get a beer, smiling. Usually, that's no problem.

I sit down and talk on goon chat. I then post on the forum my flight time and my gate arrival time. Actually I'm always on goon chat :goonsay:

quote:

I'll read my book until the plane takes off. I have my own headphones and will watch whatever is on in front of me, or watch something on my computer. I will have been charging my computer and my phone while I wait at the gate, so I am not worried about it running out of power.

I bust out my electronic colostomy bag and charge my phone because I'm always on my phone :goonsay:

quote:

I will take absolutely as much as they will give me, which I've learned the longer the flight, the more likely they are to give something. I'll sleep, I'll watch a movie, I'll look out the window, I'll read the book I just picked up. I will lay back in my comfortable clothes and realize I have no other choice but to simply enjoy my life inside this airplane. The plane is moving, and I am inside of it, and I will not be going anywhere anytime soon, so I take what they will give me and live my life happily in my own little row of seats.

It's a loving airplane ride :dwi: I'm cold so I still put on my jacket. And wearing nice clothes increases your chances of better service. By the time the plane is ready to take off and there's no more cell service, I either sleep all day or binge watch personal screen movies. If it's the oldschool planes with projector screens I roll my eyes again and scoff at antique planes.

quote:

The plane will land and I will let everyone push, shove and obnoxiously try to deplane all at the same time. I will almost always be the last one out of the plane.

I get ready like it's track and field once the plane lands. I'm not the first person to unbuckle my seat belt but I'm ready. Set my time difference on my watch and switch sim cards. All my belongings are packed before landing and I just grab and go. I walk down the hallways of the airport like I'm the President in the West Wing. Or Captain Pickard getting debriefed along the hallway.

quote:

I have no bags that I checked, but if I do, I casually make my way there. I don't mind waiting in lines at immigration, in fact I find it rather interesting to see the people who are waiting, trying to guess where they are from, what they do for a living, and wonder all kinds of interesting things about them.

Check in bags are for suckers and if you do have checked bags it better be priority. I do a quick scan at immigration and I avoid lineups with families/old people/kids. If it's a Western country I try to go behind the non Russian white folks. If it's JFK I'm hosed because that place hates visitors.

quote:

I leave the airport quite refreshed after having a really great and relaxing trip and enter the city or country, wherever I am, with a smile on my face,
knowing that I have just traveled an extremely far distance that 100 years ago would probably have been impossible in this time frame.

If I didn't have enough rest then I just get some coffee. My body feels like crap but I don't give a poo poo.

quote:

I wonder what technology the world will bring us in the future. I hope to myself that I am alive to see it when it arrives.

I go straight to the telecom stores and get a loving sim card. I text goons. I then say hello to whatever locals are there.

quote:

I take a deep breath of air as I leave the airport.

I roll my eyes at the crappy facilities and public transportation. Bus/train/cab. The usual suspects. If I get picked up in the airport by wonderful people then I'm super excited.

quote:

I have arrived safely, and I am grateful for that, just another place to explore, another adventure to be had, another aspect of my life for me to experience. Life is good, and I am happy.

I go out of my way to meet some local goons and try to do a goon meet.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

goldboilermark posted:

People I would not take a trip with: ^^^that guy^^^

although you did mention drinking enough for my liking so that's at least a start :toot:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

GuestBob posted:

Speaking on behalf of British people everywhere, please don't do this.

You have no idea of the horror we feel when this sort of thing happens.

Unless I'm chatting someone up, I'm pretty sure a queue is just a place to quietly contemplate on my life decisions leading up to that moment.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wow caberham, what an incredible :effortless:post.

Anyone got any opinions on Jin Air? Considering a trip to Jeju later in the year, and their prices are 1000RMB cheaper than the next offering.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

LentThem posted:

Unless I'm chatting someone up, I'm pretty sure a queue is just a place to quietly contemplate on my life decisions leading up to that moment.

When I go back to the UK this summer the first thing I am going to do is find a nice quiet queue to stand in.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

caberham posted:

So I have made an alternative option.

It's called business class :downsrim:

Ok time for Caber style~~~

If it's a early morning flight, I online check in and then play video games all night long or go out and party all night long. I avoid sleep and pack my bags 3 hours before the flight. If it's really really crucial like important souvenirs or some sort of checked baggage then I will precheck the night before in the Hong Kong airport express train station.

2 hours before departure I shower and procrastinate. Like that 90's commercial movie tickets.com I print my boarding pass last minute I then haul rear end into the train station. I'm getting old and my body can't stay up like before, so nowadays I'm feeling tired but I just pop a morning coffee and drink it on the train.

Electronics bag is a must. I just use a big rear end Osprey Porter 46 Maximum American Legal carry on and stuff all my poo poo in there. I also use a Samsonite foldable toiletry bag. Besides a few clothes, I pack super light. If I'm going to Japan or AMERICA :911: then I stuff an empty duffel bag. The empty duffel bag is for souvenirs/costco poo poo/liquids like booze on the way back.

Kindle is stuffed in there. Books are cool but not when I got to carry them around. On the road

The gate agent gives me this dirty look. God drat it, it's you again Caberham? I give an apologetic grin and smile. They rush me through the staff line in security and I haul rear end to the gate. The essence of CABER STYLE~~~ Being just on time.

If it's Hong Kong International Airport, I go straight through security because the airport food is actually awesome. I get a bowl of shrimp wonton noodles before I go. I also buy last minute Wing Wah wife cakes, and tea/confectionary from the Peninsula. If I'm visiting other Chinese I bring in some duck/pork sausage.

If it's another airport, I roll my eyes at the lovely food and layout.

American Airport bars rule. I don't care how full I am, I gotta sit down and enjoy a Bloody Mary or some Mac and Cheese. As I tip the servers I realize that I'm not in East Asia anymore :smith: Oh and of course I roll my eyes at the bad infrastructure. If I see fat people in Atlanta or American Airports I chortle. The flight/transfer is probably delayed so I roll my eyes.

My eyes roll so hard that it actually did a 720. All these other scrubs are beneath me. Not taking off their watches beforehand and bumbling through security. I dance through security like George Clooney in Up in the Air. Have my toiletry bag all folded out, with my nose clippers taken out, dump all my coins/phone/keys/poo poo into my jacket/coat, then I waltz through security and TSA. I make a tisk sound and sigh at everyone else's slow speed from time to time to kill time.

If it's a newbie Traveler I smirk and steer the away from him. "HI IM FLYING TO ASIA FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!". Shut up, I don't want to talk to you. If he looks like a sex tourist then I will probably chit chat a bit and try to snap his picture and post it to goooons.

poo poo he probably doesn't know how to put the bags into the overhead compartment properly and will probably knock someone's head when the bags fall. Or he's probably a loving idiot and has trouble filling in his Customs form.

One time though this really pregnant lady is going to Utah and got into a 6 hour delay. I actually offered her my ticket to switch but she has is travelling with 3 other kids so she's out of luck :smith: Her husband is serving in Afghanistan :smith:

Roll my eyes. gently caress this security theatre poo poo. Maybe if America didn't have such a aggressive overlord foreign policy they wouldn't have to be so god drat paranoid all the time :can:

I go to duty free and check out the wine selections. I roll my eyes if the prices are expensive or I see any Baijiu. If I see a dude binge buying Henessy XO Cognac I make a tisk sound. If it's Japan I go crazy and spend 300 bucks in 10 minutes.

More Airport bars! Hurray! If I got time (usually I don't) then I just chill out at the airline lounge. Great snacks, booze, showers, and power outlets for charging.

Flying to me is getting better and better. Airplane food and planes are much more comfortable nowadays compared to 20 years ago. Personal screen TV, USB ports, microphone plugs, etc... I have been flying on my own since I was 9 years old from Vancouver to Hong Kong. Back in the day, flying back to Hong Kong meant I could watch Dragon Ball Z in Cantonese :qq:

I get cold easily :smith: Before aerosol cans were banned, it was fun to spray Evian all over my face. Closing your eyes and twirling your face as droplets of liquid land on your face :feelsgood:

It's either the first on board or last on board. Normally I'm the last 20 guys to board. I check the time and see how much down time I have to wait. Ideally, it's being in the gate just before the announcement.

My flights are usually kinda full :smith:

I sit down and talk on goon chat. I then post on the forum my flight time and my gate arrival time. Actually I'm always on goon chat :goonsay:

I bust out my electronic colostomy bag and charge my phone because I'm always on my phone :goonsay:

It's a loving airplane ride :dwi: I'm cold so I still put on my jacket. And wearing nice clothes increases your chances of better service. By the time the plane is ready to take off and there's no more cell service, I either sleep all day or binge watch personal screen movies. If it's the oldschool planes with projector screens I roll my eyes again and scoff at antique planes.

I get ready like it's track and field once the plane lands. I'm not the first person to unbuckle my seat belt but I'm ready. Set my time difference on my watch and switch sim cards. All my belongings are packed before landing and I just grab and go. I walk down the hallways of the airport like I'm the President in the West Wing. Or Captain Pickard getting debriefed along the hallway.

Check in bags are for suckers and if you do have checked bags it better be priority. I do a quick scan at immigration and I avoid lineups with families/old people/kids. If it's a Western country I try to go behind the non Russian white folks. If it's JFK I'm hosed because that place hates visitors.

If I didn't have enough rest then I just get some coffee. My body feels like crap but I don't give a poo poo.

I go straight to the telecom stores and get a loving sim card. I text goons. I then say hello to whatever locals are there.

I roll my eyes at the crappy facilities and public transportation. Bus/train/cab. The usual suspects. If I get picked up in the airport by wonderful people then I'm super excited.

I go out of my way to meet some local goons and try to do a goon meet.

The Life of Abe

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BadAstronaut posted:

Wow caberham, what an incredible :effortless:post.

Anyone got any opinions on Jin Air? Considering a trip to Jeju later in the year, and their prices are 1000RMB cheaper than the next offering.

won't that be like a 1 hour flight? Honestly, who cares as long as they get you there intact?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, an hour twenty apparently. But they could have a history of horribly unreliable in terms of delays, or charging huge $$$ just to take luggage etc. Nevermind, I'll google.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

GuestBob posted:

When I go back to the UK this summer the first thing I am going to do is find a nice quiet queue to stand in.

I know the feeling. When we go back to Maine this summer I'm going to find a nice clean street and do my best not to throw poo poo on it or indeed poo poo on it in any fashion.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The first thing I do when I go back to the States is head to a bar to have a beer and chat in English with the bartender. If I go home, I get a few beers and go down to our dock and sit and watch the sunset over the lake. I'll be in Boston for two weeks for work this summer before getting a holiday for a month and the first second my work thing at Boston University is finished I'm going to a bar to watch the Red Sox :toot:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I walk around the house in my underwear because it's neither blazing hot or warm because it has insulation and heat.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

The first thing I do when I go back to the States is head to a bar to have a beer and chat in English with the bartender. If I go home, I get a few beers and go down to our dock and sit and watch the sunset over the lake. I'll be in Boston for two weeks for work this summer before getting a holiday for a month and the first second my work thing at Boston University is finished I'm going to a bar to watch the Red Sox :toot:

I like Boston but I hate how flying back takes like 12 hours longer and twice the price as if my family lived on the west coast :(

Looking at flights home now it's so depressing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

synertia posted:

I walk around the house in my underwear because it's neither blazing hot or warm because it has insulation and heat.

I love you man please show up for beertopia

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

I like Boston but I hate how flying back takes like 12 hours longer and twice the price as if my family lived on the west coast :(

Looking at flights home now it's so depressing.

How is this true? Flights from Hong Kong to LA are about 14 hours, and flights to New York are 15 hours.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

How is this true? Flights from Hong Kong to LA are about 14 hours, and flights to New York are 15 hours.

Yeah, it's never taken me longer than 14 or 15 hours to get from China to Boston.

goldboilermark posted:

I'll be in Boston for two weeks for work this summer before getting a holiday for a month and the first second my work thing at Boston University is finished I'm going to a bar to watch the Red Sox :toot:

Should be an interesting year. Yanks spent heavily but I'm not convinced they made their team considerably better.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blinkyzero posted:

Should be an interesting year. Yanks spent heavily but I'm not convinced they made their team considerably better.

If they can stay healthy they will be great but that's a big if considering how old they are. I'm interested to see how Tanaka ends up pitching for them, Cashman said last month he thought he could be a number 3 starter. That is just massive money for a number 3.

/end derail

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

caberham posted:

I love you man please show up for beertopia

yes I will go but I don't have a ticket

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

blinkyzero posted:

Yeah, it's never taken me longer than 14 or 15 hours to get from China to Boston.

It did for me once, but that was because the airline or website I bought tickets from screwed up and I got booked on the connecting flight 24 hours after the one I was supposed to be on, turning my 2 hour layover in Paris into a 26 hour layover.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

It did for me once, but that was because the airline or website I bought tickets from screwed up and I got booked on the connecting flight 24 hours after the one I was supposed to be on, turning my 2 hour layover in Paris into a 26 hour layover.

I guess there are worse places to be for a 26 hour layover than Paris.

Also I was going to make some kind of caberham-esque layover joke but because I've got nothing right now I'll just post :downsrim: and we can pretty much get the gist of what it would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

blinkyzero posted:

Tell me where you look for tickets cause I am a Grade A Moron. Right now the shortest flights I see are between 20 and 27 hours (Chengdu->Shanghai/Beijing->Somewhere in North America->Boston or Chengdu->Amsterdam->Dublin->Boston with layovers between each one) regardless of price. Even when I was in Shanghai I couldn't find much quicker than 18-19 hours. I'm looking on Kayak/Qunar/etc...

They also start about 1200 but thats delta so they really start about 1600. I could get Chengdu->LAX for like 760 round trip on cathay.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 25, 2014