Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brannock posted:

What happened to the dog behind Spender / the flame shot that Forge was going to shoot?

It jumped in the bushes / Spender shot his hand to put it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So, I'm guessing here, but it seems like the dog's power is that their are either a lot of them, or they just rebuild/respawn themselves after being destroyed. I'm pretty sure we've seen the red one die twice now. Spender also speared the purple one on the train and that one reappeared last comic.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 25, 2014

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So, I'm guessing here, but it seems like the dog's power is that their are either a lot of them, or they just rebuild/respawn themselves after being destroyed. I'm pretty sure we've seen the red one die twice now. Spender also speared the purple one on the train and that one reappeared last comic.
Interestingly they also seem to change colors. Green is new. With the pixel motif it makes a lot of sense that they'd have multiple lives! Maybe the color indicates how many times they've died. Once it becomes clear I'm sure someone like Max will jump at the awkward "dogs aren't the ones with nine lives" joke.

e: though looking at them honestly they could as well be called cats. Weird cats.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 25, 2014

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I have no idea why everyone is calling them dogs they are obviously cats.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I have no idea why everyone is calling them dogs they are obviously cats.

Cat's don't go Yip!! when stabbed in the head by light spectral energy.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Note that on this page one of the Darkbunnies tells one of the other ones not to bother slicing up the Bitdogs. And later, they claim that a fight would last FOREVER. So, yeah, the respawning is probably a feature of the evil spirits.

Also note this page where they pretty much hand the dogs the strategy they're using right now. Lots of foreshadowing in this chapter.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Tollymain posted:

Obviously Spender's attack screwed up Forge's attack. I wonder why Forge is shrugging it off?

Also I just realized that the magnet snake in the banner opens their head/mouth thing when you scroll the mouse over it :v:

Watch out, it'll eat your head if you do it for too long! :gonk:

So are we meant to take from this new page that Spectral-Energy blasts aren't all they're cracked up to be? Maybe we are, although it could just be possible that Forge is somehow highly resistant or outright immune to it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Splicer posted:

Oh my god it's I'm not telling I just know it is it has to be :allears:

e: seriously if anyone else has worked it out and ruins it for everyone my vengeance will be swift and painful.

Was it who you thought? Like seriously you spoiler tagged speculation that isn't even speculation and it bothers me that I have no idea who you're talking about.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

So are we meant to take from this new page that Spectral-Energy blasts aren't all they're cracked up to be? Maybe we are, although it could just be possible that Forge is somehow highly resistant or outright immune to it.

Well the spectral harpoons one-shot those dogs in the panel posted earlier this page (even if they regenerate from it later), I think it's more that Forge is really tough or Spender wasn't giving it his all yet.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Forge is supposed to be tough. He's been around for a long time and was lugging around that big hammer when he was first introduced which apparently a sign of being a serious poltergeist.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I doubt the Activity Consortium would send its agents to be trained in something that's useless. The issues are, yeah, Forge is a beast (albeit one who acknowledged that Spender would still probably beat him in a proper fight) and Spender might be loving around for some reason.

Actually, on that topic, have we seen Spender fight seriously? Other than when he destroyed those dogs he's always seemed to be kind of goofing around, though he appeared to be preparing to get serious when Max was getting attacked by the bat at least.

Hypocrisy posted:

Forge is supposed to be tough. He's been around for a long time and was lugging around that big hammer when he was first introduced which apparently a sign of being a serious poltergeist.

The hammer was a big, non-tool physical object. So, yeah. Forge is serious if he can lug around (and throw) a huge piece of metal; the only other poltergeists we've seen are the bat (which inflicted minor property damage) and Lefty (who could carry a plastic lantern at least, I suppose).

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 25, 2014

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

pik_d posted:

Cat's don't go Yip!! when stabbed in the head by light spectral energy.

That's the sound effect known as "Fip!". It's the sound a spear made of yellow spectral energy makes when it hits the floor of a ghost train after almost stabbing an infinitely respawning cat spirit.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Forge tries to command one to roll over. Zach refers to them as dogs in the comment right here. They're dogs.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

idonotlikepeas posted:

Forge tries to command one to roll over. Zach refers to them as dogs in the comment right here. They're dogs.

These are the dumbest looking dogs I've ever seen.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baron O Beefdip posted:

These are the dumbest looking dogs I've ever seen.

They're heavily referential to cyber-dogs from some movie.

Also, they're spirits - spirits generally only vaguely resemble the real-world animal analogues.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Roland Jones posted:

The hammer was a big, non-tool physical object. So, yeah. Forge is serious if he can lug around (and throw) a huge piece of metal; the only other poltergeists we've seen are the bat (which inflicted minor property damage) and Lefty (who could carry a plastic lantern at least, I suppose).

Oh! And don't forget the racist whale-frog!

I guess it makes sense that poltergeists are probably tougher than spirits that can't physically interact with the world at all. All of the spirits that have given the gang any troubles so far have been able to, although we haven't seen if these Skull-Speaking Dogs can or cannot move physical objects so they might be an exception.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Brannock posted:

They're heavily referential to cyber-dogs from some movie.

Also, they're spirits - spirits generally only vaguely resemble the real-world animal analogues.

Seems like they're based on the monsters from Attack the Block.

But as a character in the movie points out.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Oh! And don't forget the racist whale-frog!

I guess it makes sense that poltergeists are probably tougher than spirits that can't physically interact with the world at all. All of the spirits that have given the gang any troubles so far have been able to, although we haven't seen if these Skull-Speaking Dogs can or cannot move physical objects so they might be an exception.

Ah, forgot about that moment.

Anyway, poltergeisting seems to require great willpower, sheer anger/hatred, and/or a fuckton of spiritual power. Any one of those things would make for a tougher opponent, so yeah, poltergeists tending to be stronger makes sense. Pixeldogs don't seem particularly strong, just vicious and either numerous or immortal, so I doubt they're poltergeists.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Alopex posted:

Spender's dialogue is getting more and more pretentious. :allears: Who's he trying to impress here?

The forge spirit that he is also simultainiously trying to kill.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think you mean demons. And no matter how strong their opponent is they'll ultimately be at the pixeldemons' mercy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

Seems like they're based on the monsters from Attack the Block.

But as a character in the movie points out.

Yeah, they look more like angry gorillas in that scene.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I kinda want someone to get possessed by a pixeldog.

Respawning would be a pretty cool power to have and all you'd have to deal with is an objectively evil spirit in your head.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Respawning would be a pretty cool power to have and all you'd have to deal with is an objectively evil spirit in your head.

Assuming that they do in fact respawn, they pretty much have no need to possess people. It's the near-death state that forces spirits to possess objects/people, after all, so if they don't enter that state (or at least stay in it for any real length of time since they just come back)...

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Roland Jones posted:

Actually, on that topic, have we seen Spender fight seriously? Other than when he destroyed those dogs he's always seemed to be kind of goofing around, though he appeared to be preparing to get serious when Max was getting attacked by the bat at least.

I don't think we have. I think the closest we've seen him come to getting serious was here where he seemed to be gathering both yellow and black energy. Every other time, even just crushing the dogs, he's only bringing out the yellow energy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Desuwa posted:

I don't think we have. I think the closest we've seen him come to getting serious was here where he seemed to be gathering both yellow and black energy. Every other time, even just crushing the dogs, he's only bringing out the yellow energy.

I don't think he has two spectral colours; I think he has light/shadow powers, and those blacks were part of his shadowpower.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Whitenoise Poster posted:

When they respawn, they respawn with a different spectral energy color. So the possession would get cut short...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
New page is up. They're trying to psych us out. :gonk:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

And it seems to be working! :stare:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, that's officially the creepiest thing I've seen all day. :stonk:

Also, what's going on in the 2nd-to-last panel? They both look like they just felt a disturbance in the force or something, and their spiritual energy is trailing forward towards the dogs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh hey, Spender fell on a door.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's cool, they're just Gergoth dogs.

Er, cats. Whatever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, that's officially the creepiest thing I've seen all day. :stonk:

Now they remind me of some D&D monster.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Blackheart posted:

It's cool, they're just Gergoth dogs.

Er, cats. Whatever.

Catdogs?

Nah, that'd just be silly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, what is Max's aura doing in that second-to-last panel> It's getting weird and tendril-y, and it seems to be moving towards the pixeldogs rather than upwards like the stuff normally does.

Cat Mattress posted:

Now they remind me of some D&D monster.

That's what I thought of as well.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
I don't know why we're discussing this at all when Ed already explained everything.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What is the point of the second to last panel?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Darth Windu posted:

What is the point of the second to last panel?

I think they're finally noticing that the train's insides are starting to change from train car to stomach.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
So, it looks like the not-dogs are helpfully positioning themselves directly between the backpack full of metal and the kid with the magnet powers. Will Max finally get his chance to prove himself?

Also...a backpack full of metal...a spirit who can shape metal into doors...a train that's looking increasingly opposed to passengers in it...a barrier that normally can't be crossed through without the train...I'm gonna call it right now, Forge and the Spectrals are gonna have to set aside their differences just so they can get back into Mayview.

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 1, 2014

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Angry Walrus posted:

So, it looks like the not-dogs are helpfully positioning themselves directly between the backpack full of metal and the kid with the magnet powers. Will Max finally get his chance to prove himself?
If by "prove himself" you mean "Suck a bunch of metal at himself and watch it phase through the spirit and whack himself in the face. Again." then I say probably.

Angry Walrus posted:

Also...a backpack full of metal...a spirit who can shape metal into doors...a train that's looking increasingly opposed to passengers in it...a barrier that normally can't be crossed through without the train...I'm gonna call it right now, Forge and the Spectrals are gonna have to set aside their differences just so they can get back into Mayview.
I... drat. That does fit together rather neatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Wait, how is Max's backpack not phasing through the train? Eightfold's book is a tool so that wouldn't, but the backpack isn't possessed as far as we know.