Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
They do need to give some indication of what an AI considers its land to be. It sucks getting a diplomatic penalty when there was no warning that you'd get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's a two step process:
A.Do they own it?
Yes- It's theirs
No- It's theirs

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's a two step process:
A.Do they own it?
Yes- It's theirs
No- It's theirs

Funny, that's my approach to the issue as well.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh yeah, and I also love these little :psyduck moments:

1. Distant enemy civ allies nearby city state, declares war on you. The only thing you can do to make peace with the city state is conquer it, and then everyone hates you.

2. Declarations of Friendship make friends of the civ like you, and enemies of the civ hate you. Who likes them and who hates them? We're not going to tell you.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I once had Augustus get pissy with me for settling a city ON A DIFFERENT CONTINENT. It was on a Terra map, where you all start off on a Eurasia-analogue, and can spread to an empty America-analogue. So far as I could tell, he hadn't even explored the new world, he just somehow knew.

Also: I recently tried a 22-civ game on a Huge earth map, and it was fun but I'll never do it again. I made friends with Haille Selassie, who then refused to stop spamming missionaries, so I denounced him. EVERY NATION ON EARTH (except for Greece and the Inca, who everyone hated) denounced me within three turns. A couple of dozen turns later, Haille shows up and asks me if I would kindly denounce the Inca, basically the only people who were still willing to do business with me. I had to switch gears and conquer three other nations to get that fucker, and I didn't win my planned science victory until the 1950s, but it was worth it.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I have a riddle for you all, courtesy of the MP game. What do you call a Venice with no sea trade routes and no Big Ben?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

2. Declarations of Friendship make friends of the civ like you, and enemies of the civ hate you. Who likes them and who hates them? We're not going to tell you.

F4, click on the Global Politics header.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

F4, click on the Global Politics header.

Yes, but you can't get to it from the offer screen, unless you're using a mod.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

How do you guys handle air warfare? I always seem to have my wars before anyone researches Flight, so I have no idea what to do with planes. I tend to build a bunch of bombers and few fighters, but I have no idea how important those are as opposed to AA guns.

I'm looking at an upcoming war with Greece, and based on spying, they also have planes, so this is going to be my first war involving air warfare.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I have a riddle for you all, courtesy of the MP game. What do you call a Venice with no sea trade routes and no Big Ben?

A barbarian camp

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

KKKlean Energy posted:

A barbarian camp

Having seen the open ocean, I kinda wish I had honor because there are at least 8 barbarian camps just chilling out in the South and North poles. Farm culture every day all day.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dragongem posted:

Having seen the open ocean, I kinda wish I had honor because there are at least 8 barbarian camps just chilling out in the South and North poles. Farm culture every day all day.

It's never too late to open Honor! And gently caress it, we might as well to keep us busy while the west is bitchslapping itself.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

KKKlean Energy posted:

It's never too late to open Honor! And gently caress it, we might as well to keep us busy while the west is bitchslapping itself.

Don't think you'll have to wait long. Assyria artillery rushed hard and is going to clean out America pretty fast. To the tune of about 1 tech per city :aaa:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Das_Bass posted:

I'd only keep his cap and deal with it. I will burn him down though! Nobody will even miss him.

Keep in mind when I say taking cities I mean taking them no matter what you do with them. Raze, puppet, annex. People don't like it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

A land trader. Nothing else changes. Their merchants of Venice are still as powerful as ever, they still have double trade routes over everyone else.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Plus, since Venice should probably be going Commerce, their land routes will get buffed up compared to their sea routes anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Venice needs a large number of internal trade routes. If they’re forced to use caravans rather than cargo ships, it’s going to hurt.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Venice needs a large number of internal trade routes. If they’re forced to use caravans rather than cargo ships, it’s going to hurt.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

It's a very fun and interesting game so far, though. It would be rather boring if the game just let you do exactly what you wanted in every circumstance.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

It's a very fun and interesting game so far, though. It would be rather boring if the game just let you do exactly what you wanted in every circumstance.

I feel that. I had enough gold saved to straight up buy three factories the moment I hit Industrialzation. On that turn I found that not only did I not have coal, both my ally city states AND friendly citystates didn't have coal either. Had to go buy some from across the world.

It has definitely changed my game plan.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 24, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My starting position changed my game plan. Ever since, my game plan has been "hope i'm the only one in the world with any uranium"

Jungle :argh:

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

KKKlean Energy posted:

My starting position changed my game plan. Ever since, my game plan has been "hope i'm the only one in the world with any uranium"

Jungle :argh:

*complains about a ton of jungle* *is Brazil* *has Petra*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah the jungle might be useful now but at the time I built petra my totals hammers went from like 8 to 11. I was that desperate for hammers i built petra for three of them. Before petra I would have sucked cock for a hammer.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

KKKlean Energy posted:

Yeah the jungle might be useful now but at the time I built petra my totals hammers went from like 8 to 11. I was that desperate for hammers i built petra for three of them. Before petra I would have sucked cock for a hammer.

You built a 250 hammer wonder for 3 hpt. So I guess you just paid off that wonder ~20 turns ago :)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
As far as starts go, is this a decent one?

Additionally, is it always worth sitting next to a river tile or in this case, is it just not worth the distances from the resources?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dragongem posted:

I feel that. I had enough gold saved to straight up buy three factories the moment I hit Industrialzation. On that turn I found that not only did I not have coal, both my ally city states AND friendly citystates didn't have coal either. Had to go buy some from across the world.

It has definitely changed my game plan.

I had a game like this, only replace coal with aluminum and factories with Hydro plants. And then replace coal with oil, and factories with every loving late game unit.

Still managed to win that game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SkySteak posted:

As far as starts go, is this a decent one?

Additionally, is it always worth sitting next to a river tile or in this case, is it just not worth the distances from the resources?

The problem with moving is that where you're at is a centralized position to your starting resources. You can check with the Warrior what's to the north, but it's already a drat good start without any assistance. This is the one time where you don't give a poo poo about Tundra tiles because a Tundra/Hill on fresh water (the lake) will be a 2F/2H tile just like any other freshwater Hill. Plus you got some no-Hills Silver, that's always great. I'm not too enthused about that lovely Plantation tile, but when you have an otherwise pretty good start, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Shame about not having any major food resources, but what can you do? Time to build some fuckin' farms.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The problem with moving is that where you're at is a centralized position to your starting resources. You can check with the Warrior what's to the north, but it's already a drat good start without any assistance. This is the one time where you don't give a poo poo about Tundra tiles because a Tundra/Hill on fresh water (the lake) will be a 2F/2H tile just like any other freshwater Hill. Plus you got some no-Hills Silver, that's always great. I'm not too enthused about that lovely Plantation tile, but when you have an otherwise pretty good start, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Shame about not having any major food resources, but what can you do? Time to build some fuckin' farms.

Ah fair enough. I was also going to ask, is there a timing or pace to building new cities? I am playing on Prince difficulty and Epic speed. Do I need to rush cities out early (in decent spots of course) or can I afford to be slightly slower?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

SkySteak posted:

Ah fair enough. I was also going to ask, is there a timing or pace to building new cities? I am playing on Prince difficulty and Epic speed.

Not really. On prince you can build the great library to slingshot into philosophy and get out a national college before settling to super ramp your research, but on the higher difficulties that is a no go. It mainly depends on what sort of start you get and who you play as, as well as how you want to win. One thing a lot of players do wrong is to overbuild either workers or settlers. If you have too many cities and not enough workers, you end up working unimproved tiles for extended periods and if you have too many workers, you are paying unit maintenance to improve tiles that won't be used for the foreseeable future.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Don't think you'll have to wait long. Assyria artillery rushed hard and is going to clean out America pretty fast. To the tune of about 1 tech per city :aaa:

Gee, I wonder why I felt a burning need to get artillery before America, the tech leader, did :colbert:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hey, that's my scout in that picture!

Clearly he influenced the tide of battle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm playing as MSF. I'm running up against a wall in how many military units I can support at one time. I need to expand. America just plopped down New York right next to Mother Base. Do I take it over, and if so, how? Meaning, do I just flat-out invade or do I need to goad America into attacking me first?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I'm playing as MSF. I'm running up against a wall in how many military units I can support at one time. I need to expand. America just plopped down New York right next to Mother Base. Do I take it over, and if so, how? Meaning, do I just flat-out invade or do I need to goad America into attacking me first?

Attack now, before New York gets a wall. You keep playing this militaristic civ while asking if you should attack people. If you don't want to actually take advantage of Militaires Sans Frontières then there are plenty of 'equestrian' mods out there for you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pollyanna posted:

Goading another civ into declaring on you is an outdated tactic. In BNW, starting a war matters very little diplomatically.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Bremen posted:

Gee, I wonder why I felt a burning need to get artillery before America, the tech leader, did :colbert:

You don't need to justify yourself to me. Being Assyria is reason enough. That JayMax festooned your territory with twinkle-stars is just added incentive.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

You don't need to justify yourself to me. Being Assyria is reason enough. That JayMax festooned your territory with twinkle-stars is just added incentive.

The sad thing is that I really did fully intend to play Assyria as a friendly neighbor and go for a science or culture victory. I didn't even invade India when America offered me a piece of the pie.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
In my last game I research Industrialization, and there's no coal anywhere near me. Big deal, I notice there's some under a mine tile of a city-state ally. The problem is that I wasn't getting coal from it, nor was I able to pay 200 gold to improve that tile. What was going on there?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Andorra posted:

In my last game I research Industrialization, and there's no coal anywhere near me. Big deal, I notice there's some under a mine tile of a city-state ally. The problem is that I wasn't getting coal from it, nor was I able to pay 200 gold to improve that tile. What was going on there?

The city-state didn't even have the technology to realize they had coal yet. It sucks.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Andorra posted:

It's because the tile has already been improved! You can only unlock strategic resources for city states if there is nothing on the tile, or maybe if they have a different type of improvement on it. like a farm on coal.

Oil has unique tile improvements, so you can usually get it from city states as soon as you discover it. The others are all mined, so you need to wait.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

As venice, should I always use my great merchant to buy a city state? If not, when should I use trade missions or build a customs house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Quantumfate posted:

As venice, should I always use my great merchant to buy a city state? If not, when should I use trade missions or build a customs house?

Nearly always you should buy a city state. The new city-state will allow you to set up another trade route to a lucrative foreign city or send food and hammers back to Venice. In most cases this greatly out performs the alternatives.

There are situations where you wouldn't buy a city state, but they are very situational.

• Locked thread