Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Idk but there was a guy on Improv4Humans last week that I couldn't understand at all.

Thats probably cause it was a live one and the recording sucks sometimes on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What are the practical benefits of the show being in stereo?

Better ASMR triggers.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

tnimark posted:

Yeah it must have been added later. Sometimes you can tell when Scott's plugs are recorded separately. They're at a slightly different volume or something.

A lot of times it's really apparent because he's grasping for "Do I have anything to plug?" and suddenly, bam, PFT isn't cackling in the background anymore and he has a list of things to check out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thoogsby posted:

Lassie was hung.

I loving lost it at the planet of the apes part.

Oh god, same, especially Scott just cracking up in the background. Double hilarious because he was thinking of Lancelot Link and came up with the PotA story in about .002 seconds.

"Those aren't gorillas. Those are guys....dressed as gorillas."

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What are the practical benefits of the show being in stereo?

I know it would wind up being annoying but I'd be curious as to what a podcast would sound like with the voices panned out.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Plenty of podcasts do that subtly, and it's a nice effect, especially with a lot of voices. Put some at 60/40 on the right, and some at 60/40 on the left. You probably wouldn't notice it consciously, but it makes it easier to tell the voices apart. Bands do the same thing with instruments.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

Plenty of podcasts do that subtly, and it's a nice effect, especially with a lot of voices. Put some at 60/40 on the right, and some at 60/40 on the left. You probably wouldn't notice it consciously, but it makes it easier to tell the voices apart. Bands do the same thing with instruments.

I have hearing loss in one ear and this poo poo sucks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can set most things to force stero into mono.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Drunkboxer posted:

I have hearing loss in one ear and this poo poo sucks.

If you have an iphone, there's a mono sound output option in preferences. I don't have hearing loss, but hard-panning annoys me enough that I sometimes turn it on.

efb

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always liked the panning on the Adam and Joe podcast, but that was sourced from a BBC radio show so they have a proper broadcasting rig. I do like some directional separation, especially when I'm not sure who is doing what character.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Scott Anchorman posted:

Tomorrow, mine & @mradamscott's U2 podcast comes out. This will be weekly for about 13 weeks or so. Subscribe? http://earwolf.com/u2

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

That was a pretty good episode. Really made me want to relisten to the Chico Davis one for the 5000th time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

erezaka posted:

That was a pretty good episode. Really made me want to relisten to the Chico Davis one for the 5000th time.

I can't believe that episode didn't make the top 10, it was easily one of the best episodes of the year.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't believe that episode didn't make the top 10, it was easily one of the best episodes of the year.

Is that the Two Stoogin it episode?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Horatio Sanz is the best CBB guest
If you said this a year and a half ago I would crucify you in the name of the great Paul F Tompkins, but holy poo poo if Horatio Sanz isn't making a legit push for that top spot.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Politicalrancor posted:

Is that the Two Stoogin it episode?

Pretty sure it's 247 "Half A Score" with Tim Meadows.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

cams posted:

If you said this a year and a half ago I would crucify you in the name of the great Paul F Tompkins, but holy poo poo if Horatio Sanz isn't making a legit push for that top spot.

The Schwartz/Sanz episode earlier this year might be my new favourite episode. Hope it is not forgotten next time the best of episodes roll around.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Shwartz? Don't you mean Benny Shwaa?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ovo posted:

The Schwartz/Sanz episode earlier this year might be my new favourite episode. Hope it is not forgotten next time the best of episodes roll around.
Goodfelines may be the best WYR sidetrack ever.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

He was pretty amazing as Aaron Neville too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The best part of the Dave Chico Davies episode is how much time line jumping and clarification has to occur.

So you spent years in Germany? A few months here, a few months there.

And the Velvet Revolver existing in 1994.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Look who showed up in Red Sonja

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Scott looks decidedly badass.

I'm sorry, S'kott.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

~~MY KNIFE~~~

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Swamp Dwellerman kills me.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv_LEBu9lCQ

I'm so confused. And not just by the fact that Kevin Smith is somehow famous.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Gail Simone is straight up obsessed with Kulap. It's weird. And I like Kulap.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think I'm at the point where I prefer episodes like this last one to like the PFT/Gillian Jacobs episode the week before. I thought they were both great episodes, but I guess I have less expectations for en ep like this last one.

I'm also realizing that I think I prefer no character episodes. I'm thinking of like the Rob Huebel, Tom Lennon & Neko Case episode and the Todd Glass & Amber Tamblyn episode.

Maybe I'm just in a podcast rut. I have been listening to this drat show for over 4 years after all. Feels like it's been way longer than that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The characters are the best part of the podcast for me. It honestly wouldn't really bother me if they cut the first 20 minutes of each episode out. I think the problem for me is just the same characters coming back too many times. I guess it's really only PFT that has this problem but I'm kinda sick of most of his guys at this point. (I still enjoy his episodes though)

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I definitely get a little bored of the ongoing sagas of some of the recurring characters, particularly Gary Marshall and Gilly (sorry). When a new episode pops up I'm always happier seeing the name of a first time guest or a guest that hasn't been on in a long time more so than people who are on all the time, even though I still enjoy most of those people.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah that's how I feel. I still adore PFT but some of his characters have definitely run their course. I loved JW Stillwater (is that right?) because it let him be goofy as hell without any constraints. I'd like to see him do more original characters. What I'm getting at is I want him to do the personal pan pizza guy from his last NNF appearance.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

The characters are the best part of the podcast for me. It honestly wouldn't really bother me if they cut the first 20 minutes of each episode out. I think the problem for me is just the same characters coming back too many times. I guess it's really only PFT that has this problem but I'm kinda sick of most of his guys at this point. (I still enjoy his episodes though)

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment, I love the characters, especially if the non-character guest gets the show.

Also, I know they're on TV all the time now, but I still want the Oh Hello Guys to come back.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Beeez posted:

Also, I know they're on TV all the time now, but I still want the Oh Hello Guys to come back.

Oh god me too. The Kroll Show bits with them are great but the podcast gives them a lot more room to just be insane.

I also want John Mulaney to be on more often.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Conduit for Sale! posted:

What I'm getting at is I want him to do the personal pan pizza guy from his last NNF appearance.

Robert? His political rants would fit in well with CBB.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
It feels weird whenever there isn't a WYR.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I am going to agree with you guys. Love a lot of the characters but I like having new guests and new characters. It's why Andy Daly is so fun. Also why its refreshing when a guy like Jim O'Heir is so game and funny.

When he said, "THAT BITCH!" I drat near died.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Andy Daly's podcast this week is incredible.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I'm also slowly becoming convinced any podcast/sitcom/whatever would improve with a PFT-only laughtrack.

That background laughter really takes whatever podcasts he's on and ramps it up a notch.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

urk the quack posted:

That background laughter really takes whatever podcasts he's on and ramps it up a notch.

He and James Adomian should record laugh tracks.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
JJGO has rocketed back up my personal podcast rankings ever since Sunny D's off mic laughs have made their way into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary