Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
lol, a parent gave me this tearful note about how her kid got really upset when she made him stop playing angry birds because it was time for school and made me talk to him about it. I took care of it but please do your own parenting and don't let your kid play on your iPad all day goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 4, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
yeah i mean i do my best but then they go home and their parents let them play ipad games for hours at a time and then expect me to fix everything when their kid always wants to play ipad games and gets mad when they can't

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

bathroom sounds posted:

Don't pack a lunch when you're hungry.

I like braised cabbage as much as the next person but I somehow ended up with a literal pound of it packed in my lunch today. At least nobody can accuse me of not eating my veggies. :v:

Congrats, your lunchbox smells like a run-down apartment building in russia.

Anne Whateley posted:

I have an apartment and zero outdoor space :emo:

I haven't tried bourbon, but I sometimes do apple cider as the liquid when I have it. Definitely recommended!

I use both on many occasions. It's a great yin/yang combo.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

yeah i mean i do my best but then they go home and their parents let them play ipad games for hours at a time and then expect me to fix everything when their kid always wants to play ipad games and gets mad when they can't

Well, if you deny your child the iPad games, it is abuse

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

amarantinesky posted:

Um I'm sorry you're a teacher right? So your job is literally to parent all these children and teach them boundaries and rules and then to get screamed at by the parents when you tell them their child is "meeting expectations."

I love children and education and keep thinking I would like to teach. Then I read the NYT articles on parenting and just laugh.

Both my parents were teachers when I was growing up and it was awful since they had to work two jobs just to make ends meet.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
That's a big fear of mine....letting my son get addicted to a tablet/smartphone. He already knows how to use mine and he just turned two. If anything it makes me use mine less around him because I don't want to fight over it. I know other grandparents who got their two year old an ipad though, ugh.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Gravitee posted:

That's a big fear of mine....letting my son get addicted to a tablet/smartphone. He already knows how to use mine and he just turned two. If anything it makes me use mine less around him because I don't want to fight over it. I know other grandparents who got their two year old an ipad though, ugh.

I would limit the time on it. It amazes me that so many parents like can't say no to anything their kids want

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Not that anyone here is doing that but I know kids with more electronic devices than most students or professionals lol

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

amarantinesky posted:

I would be fine with talking to hairdressers if they just expected normal chatting. I have a lot of anxiety but once I force myself to leave my house I actually have decent social skills (lots of practice from being a tour guide, I guess). The issue is that lots of people see their hairdressers all the time and like to chat about their families and ridiculously personal stuff. This was my experience the few times my mom dragged me to get a haircut, anyway.

Honestly, though, I just don't want to pay someone a crazy amount of money to cut my hair the wrong way :argh: And they'll probably just judge my split-ends or hair color or whatever so I'm just going to let my hair grow out until I die.

It took me a long time but I found a really great hairdresser who is good at what she does and is cool to talk to without trying to pry or lets me space out sometimes, I wish all of you could find one like her

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

vaguely posted:

cider and pork is the ultimate combination

This is so. Baking bratwurst on a bed of sauerkraut with the brine poured off and topped back up with cider is the best/easiest thing. Bake to 160 internal, then give it about 5 minutes on broil at 500 to make the skins crispy and brown. Serve with broccoli, egg noodles, and a big squirt of brown mustard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Not that anyone here is doing that but I know kids with more electronic devices than most students or professionals lol

I once had a dorkus argue with me that recess should be free time on computers since all job skills are computer skills now. :jerkbag:

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

pick. Who was the 1 skate flip earlier

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 4, 2014

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Corn Thongs posted:

suriya bonaly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Corn Thongs posted:

That was Surya Bonaly.

By the way, that move was made illegal. So were these, in gymnastics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMwweG9qUoo

Almost like every time there was a move only women could do, it became verboten.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 4, 2014

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Pick posted:

That was Surya Bonaly.

Just read how she did it as a big gently caress you to the judges, she's cool w/ me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Corn Thongs posted:

Just read how she did it as a big gently caress you to the judges, she's cool w/ me

And the thing is, it shouldn't have been illegal. They just decided to gently caress her over because they could. But since they were loving her over anyway, she might as well get the boot in once.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Gravitee posted:

Worst grandparents ever. Yeah I strongly recommend keeping iDevice games limited because Angry Birds seems uniquely addictive to really young kids, boys especially. They just get completely sucked in if given enough time on it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
all those moves are cool as heck

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

pixelbaron posted:

all those moves are cool as heck

stop banning the cool stuff olympics :argh:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
One of the oldest recorded jokes in human history is from ancient Rome, it goes;

Man goes to the barber, barber says, "how'd you like you hair cut?" man says "In silence"

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I like talking to my hairdresser, I am the problem :(

but that's probably because I trust her, because she gave me an awesome haircut and convinced me to get my eyebrows done

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

amarantinesky posted:

Also you are all making me hungry, please send me some food. detectivemonkey I'm pretty sure you promised me cheddar broccoli soup and fresh bread... :cheeky:

Hey you're back :)

Pick posted:

That was Surya Bonaly.

Almost like every time there was a move only women could do, it became verboten.

loving hell

what was the reasoning?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
probably banned because they look like the types of things that could kill or paralyze you if you messed up

but still

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Corn Thongs posted:

stop banning the cool stuff olympics :argh:

I was just thinking the same thing, but then I read that at least some of them were banned because they were extremely dangerous - see Elena_Mukhina.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Lunch update: It was delicious and smelled neither of hairy rear end farts nor of dilapidated soviet apartments.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

I was just thinking the same thing, but then I read that at least some of them were banned because they were extremely dangerous - see Elena_Mukhina.

Versus letting Christy Henrich starve herself to death because she wasn't "pretty" enough.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

bathroom sounds posted:

Lunch update: It was delicious and smelled neither of hairy rear end farts nor of dilapidated soviet apartments.

Please make sure you smell test an adequate number of cabbage lunch boxes, hairy rear end farts and dilapidated soviet apartments before reporting your findings

down with shoddy journalism and hysterical statistics itt

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Pookah posted:

oh. that's really sad :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pick posted:

Versus letting Christy Henrich starve herself to death because she wasn't "pretty" enough.

I just read her entry on wikipedia - now I feel so sad and angry :( Incredible skill just isn't enough, you gotta look like a magical weightless pixie while you do it.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

looks like the coach who pushed Cristy Henrich to starvation was involved in another gymnast (Julissa Gomez) becoming quadriplegic

I wonder if he got any sort of punishment for that

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
My sister just came back from a stargate convention thing and she got me a tshirt with a whole bunch of signatures on it including loving richard dean anderson and amanda tapping

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

At first I was like gently caress YEAH GYMNASTICS IS AWESOME but now I'm sad. Why do women always have to look thin and pretty doing everything? :(

I had too much caffeine and feel sick so now I have to lie down instead of making the tasty dinner I was planning with sweet potatoes, bacon-kale and sausages. I just had to try that new coffee pot :qq:

you rock
Sep 12, 2010

You wanna fuck with this shit I fuckin dare you. You fuck wit the hedge you get the spines
some people spray windex on their food to not be tempted to eat it. others jizz on the cookies before they cool

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Look at this kitty from the cute stuff thread:

Just look at him.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538389&pagenumber=110#post426198931

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

you rock posted:

some people spray windex on their food to not be tempted to eat it. others jizz on the cookies before they cool

if you're gonna spray something gross on your food to not be tempted to eat it, why don't you just not get the food in the first place

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Got jury duty, and I am legit excited to be involved in the way my nation administers justice.

Should I tell them about the Satanism before or during the selection process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
oh my god the production values/music on this orientation video

• Locked thread