Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Ulvirich posted:

Make a morph ball tech, but make it turn you into a skull instead of a ball and have a fading bone trail particle effect when moving. Then you can roll them bones all proper like.

WOW yes do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So, as someone who hasn't played since the first week of beta, how much has the game changed since?

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I ran a new character from naked all the way to Tier 10 armor, and I have to say that the front end experience is 99% the same now as it was during the first week of beta. There are some cool behind the scenes improvements but from a "playing the game" perspective where you're not analyzing biomes, save data, or mods, it's pretty similar in my opinion.

No new bosses, progression is the same, but damage and combat values were tweaked, some quality of life improvements, and many other things I have surely forgotten.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

mune posted:

So, as someone who hasn't played since the first week of beta, how much has the game changed since?

It's a better with certain mods, such as the mod that adds more guns (IE tons of cool rocket launchers), the mech mod, and the aforementioned mod that lets you build your own space ship as big and beautiful as you want.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So this is my first game of this particular type... and how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with Meteor Storms? I know there's probably some sort of building material that is resistant to them later on, but it's kind of a bummer when a lot of my hard work is reduced to rubble because the gods have decided I must be bombarded with flaming lumps of rock.

I'm half-tempted to live out the rest of my days in some subterranean hidey-hole and never seeing the light of day again.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Thanks guys!

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Ddraig posted:

So this is my first game of this particular type... and how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with Meteor Storms? I know there's probably some sort of building material that is resistant to them later on, but it's kind of a bummer when a lot of my hard work is reduced to rubble because the gods have decided I must be bombarded with flaming lumps of rock.

I'm half-tempted to live out the rest of my days in some subterranean hidey-hole and never seeing the light of day again.

I'd say forget building anything on that particular world. Store whatever you need to onboard your ship, make a base on a nicer world once you've got enough fuel to warp out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

At the moment - build some shields around your stuff with other blocks, build underground, or build on another planet. The upside - Meteor storms will be toned down at some point

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I found a hostile Glitch castle today and mid-way through slaughtering the populous, a meteor smashed through the center of the castle. It was kind of fortuitous since it didn't touch me at all and killed a lot of their soldiers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Eonwe posted:

Meteor storms will be toned down at some point

This would make me really unhappy. There's billions of planets without 'em if you don't like 'em, go live on one of those. :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Make meteor storms rarer and tone them up. Way up. Massive hails of fiery spacerock annihilating kilometres of planetary surface at a time. Absolute destruction. Absolute terror. Absolute death. :unsmigghh:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I can't figure out if it would be awesome or terrible to have potentially catastrophic but incredibly rare asteroid impacts like that. Like, it'd be neat, but if you've built a home somewhere thinking it didn't have any nasty weather, and then BAM there goes everything, I might be pissed.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bobtheconqueror posted:

I can't figure out if it would be awesome or terrible to have potentially catastrophic but incredibly rare asteroid impacts like that. Like, it'd be neat, but if you've built a home somewhere thinking it didn't have any nasty weather, and then BAM there goes everything, I might be pissed.

Maybe make it so that they only appear in advanced planets that you can only access after you can make [thing that tells you a planet's weather conditions]. So if you set up a huge intricate megafortress on the planet before checking the weather first it's your own drat fault when an asteroid the size of Russia falls from the sky and makes a Yucatan crater out of your home.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Make meteor storms rarer and tone them up. Way up. Massive hails of fiery spacerock annihilating kilometres of planetary surface at a time. Absolute destruction. Absolute terror. Absolute death. :unsmigghh:

Already happens. I recently saw an entire glitch town reduced to a massive crater by a giant meteor, it was incredible and horrifying.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The planet starts off pretty peaceful. Trees grow, houses are built, people make a life for themselves. All of a sudden some random dickhead dressed as a pirate wearing a cowboy hat and rainbow cape beams down, and all of a sudden huge gently caress-off meteors are raining from the sky destroying everything and reducing the planet to a cratered hellhole.

I wonder if they're ever going to address the mystery of why the loving meteors only show up when YOU'RE there.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

You can't get Shadowplay on a notebook Nvidia card, right? I want to be ready to catch it on film if something like that happens

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

You can't get Shadowplay on a notebook Nvidia card, right? I want to be ready to catch it on film if something like that happens

Shadowplay doesn't work for Starbound anyways. I think it's because Starbound doesn't use proper fullscreen, though I could be wrong.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Dag. Is there something similar that sort of half-rear end records stuff in the background until I tell it to have full-rear end recorded it?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

MrGreenShirt posted:

The planet starts off pretty peaceful. Trees grow, houses are built, people make a life for themselves. All of a sudden some random dickhead dressed as a pirate wearing a cowboy hat and rainbow cape beams down, and all of a sudden huge gently caress-off meteors are raining from the sky destroying everything and reducing the planet to a cratered hellhole.

I wonder if they're ever going to address the mystery of why the loving meteors only show up when YOU'RE there.

And exactly where you are.

If they had pre-existing craters with meteor rock scattered around on planets that have the potential to spawn them, that would be cool.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think Anonspore's got it right. Make meteors and meteor-like events as devastating and hosed up as you want, just give us a way to know ahead of time, like on scanning the planet. Landing and making a small settlement because the meteors took their time showing up is no bueno.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

There's a mod for that™

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Vib Rib posted:

I think Anonspore's got it right. Make meteors and meteor-like events as devastating and hosed up as you want, just give us a way to know ahead of time, like on scanning the planet. Landing and making a small settlement because the meteors took their time showing up is no bueno.

Planets with meteors have gigantic craters in the background. Building on meteor planets is already limited only to the naive and the reckless.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

To be fair, if there existed a real planet that got meteorite impacts as severe/frequent as even the minor ones in StarBound, it would probably be easily detectible from orbit.

Conversely, any planet should be able to get hit by a gigantic, infrequent, random meteorite at any time.

Aesthetically I agree with the subtle approach they've already got, though.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
If you want to stop meteors spawning, build a lot of back walls, too. This prevents weather in general from happening (it thinks you are underground).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New update from Kyren on the future of patches for beta.

http://playstarbound.com/nother-update-new-unstable-branch-on-steam/

Kyren posted:

So there will be a new update coming down the pipe soon, and there’s a couple of bits here that need explaining.

We’re changing the way we do releases slightly. There will be a new “unstable” branch which you can select on steam, which will receive updates sooner than the regular branch that you get when you install starbound. Anybody who is interested in helping us test the releases is encouraged to try it out, but please please note that unstable may destroy your saves and be generally, well, unstable. Yes, we know this is a testing branch for our beta, which is also for testing, but we’re trying to keep the big ugly data destroying bugs to a minimum so we figure this will help. We put some tests in your tests so you can test while you… anyway,

The next thing that needs mentioning… update sizes! It seems every time there is a starbound update it’s 500 – 700 MB, regardless of how tiny it is. This is due to two things:, One, our windows binaries had full debugging information because for silly reasons that don’t matter much that was the only way we could get stacktraces crashes. Well, not anymore! Windows binaries are now built at debug level 1 (as opposed to 2) which means that instead of starbound.exe being 450MB it’s more like 30MB. So there’s that.

The OTHER thing that was causing large updates was our pak file system. Whenever we updated pak files, we tended to completely rebuild the pak file with just a file or two changed, which was enough to make the steam binary diff system go bonkers and just basically re-download the whole file again. This is also fixed! We now add to the pak file in place, so minimal changes occur (and at the end of the file) that make steam deltas very small. This is important as we want to start doing more frequent content updates (as we’ve mentioned).

That’s the good news, the BAD news is that in order to make this happen, you’re going to have to download the entire pak file again, so the first update will kinda suck (pak file format change). But, it should get better after that. To all those that have bandwidth caps, I’m very sorry :(

The update should include several bugfixes and updates to heck, the treasure horde, and the skyrails system at least, probably post a full changelog later. The update will hit ‘unstable’ tonight, and probably ‘stable’ tomorrow depending on how things go.

If you need help opting into the 'Unstable' branch, just right click on Starbound on Steam, click properties, and use the dropdown menu on the 'Betas' tab.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Opted in. Let's crash some poo poo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Build a really thick roof which extends beyond your walls in order to give them some protection, or if you want to save on blocks, make your roof a bunch of thin layers with a lot of space in between the layers. Meteors explode as soon as they hit a surface, so a 1-tile-thick roof is enough to block a single meteor, you just have to have a few more below it (far enough from the first that they won't be damaged in the explosion) to catch any meteors that fall through the hole the first one made.

Or you could just pack up and move to another planet, but doing that is for quitters and wusses.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/logopolooza-draw-a-forum-logo.73537/

If anyone wants to make some banners/logos for the Chucklefish forums, :getin:.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So I have not touched Starbound in months, not since Angry Koala. I changed the modinfo files for my mods to Enraged Koala but only one of them seems to be working. My custom crafting station/recipes are not showing up even with a new character. I noticed there is really nothing in the base assets folder either, just a bunch of empty folders with no objects or recipes or anything. Did something change?

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Machai posted:

So I have not touched Starbound in months, not since Angry Koala. I changed the modinfo files for my mods to Enraged Koala but only one of them seems to be working. My custom crafting station/recipes are not showing up even with a new character. I noticed there is really nothing in the base assets folder either, just a bunch of empty folders with no objects or recipes or anything. Did something change?

Yeah, they've changed the directory structure a fair bit since then.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

How many mods would it take to create a robust enough system to have a Starbound SS13? I was just reading about the chemistry mods and really wish that there was a 2-D SS13 clone whose server didn't run like such garbage. Imagine a server hosted entirely for SS13... limited number of randomly generated planets for mining, selective weapon spawns, computers repurposed into cloning and robotics labs, medbays, monkeys, buttebot. I should just play SS13 :smith:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I should just play SS13 :smith:

Pretty much.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Squeegy posted:

Pretty much.

Maybe it won't lag and suck one day :(

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The remake is at least another year off.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/skellies.994/updates

I did it!

And it took me all morning! :psyduck:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Adorable!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Babyface Mingo posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/logopolooza-draw-a-forum-logo.73537/

If anyone wants to make some banners/logos for the Chucklefish forums, :getin:.
Aw, gently caress, I dont have time to finish redrawing this Chuckletidus

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

First release of the Peglaci! Huge giant mod page!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gonna try these when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Are these anime goats or anthropomorphic tauntauns? I mean, it seems really loving complete as far as beta mods go, don't mind me crackin' wise; I just have no idea what I'm looking at besides "humanoid".

• Locked thread