Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

vapid cutlery posted:

hes going to say pasting his code into the post box in code tags

I'm expecting sublime text or something which is swell but a text editor is not an ide even if you can inject some highlighting capabilities into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Damiya posted:

I'm expecting sublime text or something which is swell but a text editor is not an ide even if you can inject some highlighting capabilities into it

im not expecting him to be enough of a retard to not actually know what an ide is since he explicitly said ide, but he is a wintard, so who knows. im almost 30 btw

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

vapid cutlery posted:

im not expecting him to be enough of a retard to not actually know what an ide is since he explicitly said ide, but he is a wintard, so who knows. im almost 30 btw

you have a bad case of the olds

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

pointsofdata posted:

you have a bad case of the olds

you're young trash so you probably love ruby and writing "ActiveRecord pattern libraries" for every single goddamn language you see

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
use sublime text 2 for toy scripting langs like python. vs2013 w/python tools if ur doing effort poo poo in python (which you shouldn't be unless ur fixing someone else broken code)

don't write java. use c#/vs2013 instead

lol @ the idea of suggesting there is a "good ide" for flash/ruby what the gently caress wer eyou thinkging lmao

next up in the pos: the Pro Programmers PHP IDE, brought to u by yet more idiot plangers

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
lmbo what a pack of retarded trash.

"i don't like the language therefore all tools for it are invalid and everyone should write c#" - an idiot babby

Damiya fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 26, 2014

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
my favourite part of microsoft technology is the rebrandings. it's like reorgs for people who never had the chance to work there

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

vapid cutlery posted:

you're young trash so you probably love ruby and writing "ActiveRecord pattern libraries" for every single goddamn language you see

i like writing java and fixing other peoples shameful fortran bugs features actually

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
regardless of what idiot language you write good tooling is important and going "lmbo these languages are terrible so how dare someone make a good dev environment for them" is sort of the height of yospos head-up-rear end

well done forums poster Mr SuperAwesome you've really pushed this thread to new heights.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Damiya posted:

lmbo what a pack of retarded trash.

"i don't like the language therefore all tools for it are invalid and everyone should write c#" - an idiot babby

edit: actually i forgot intellij's probably also top IDE for PHP too they've got a really good official plugin.

anything that could even tangentially pass as debugging in php is a loving joke, especially on a remote box. debugging in these lovely scripting languages is like watching automotive crash test footage in fast forward. are you kidding me with this poo poo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Damiya posted:

regardless of what idiot language you write good tooling is important and going "lmbo these languages are terrible so how dare someone make a good dev environment for them" is sort of the height of yospos head-up-rear end

well done forums poster Mr SuperAwesome you've really pushed this thread to new heights.

trying to make a good development environment for them for any reason other than legacy projects (which you naturally way, way overcharge for) is just encouraging people to keep using them.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

vapid cutlery posted:

anything that could even tangentially pass as debugging in php is a loving joke, especially on a remote box. debugging in these lovely scripting languages is like watching automotive crash test footage in fast forward. are you kidding me with this poo poo

i may be a 6'6" trans non-passing gay woman but gently caress me if you think i'd make the kind of terrible rear end life choices that would lead to debugging PHP in production

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Damiya posted:

i may be a 6'6" trans non-passing gay woman but gently caress me if you think i'd make the kind of terrible rear end life choices that would lead to debugging PHP in production

i was going to argue but i guess in any php project the only environments are local dev machine and production

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Damiya posted:

this is not what im saying at all, good tools are important, languages are just as much a tool as the IDE. lovely langs with lovely tools are still lovely and ur a fuckin idiot if u use them

like, hypothetically, lets say intellijidea or whatever is the best IDE ever for Adobe Flash technologies (like u said) and its better than literally other IDE ever, regardless, ur still writing loving flash soooooooo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
programming is gay, no offence Damiya

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

this is not what im saying at all, good tools are important, languages are just as much a tool as the IDE. lovely langs with lovely tools are still lovely and ur a fuckin idiot if u use them

like, hypothetically, lets say intellijidea or whatever is the best IDE ever for Adobe Flash technologies (like u said) and its better than literally other IDE ever, regardless, ur still writing loving flash soooooooo

java is fine as is python for little things

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

it's the best java ide and therefore pretty usefull

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
also, an ide is p much pointless with a non statically typed language imo, ymmv

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

if your job makes you write lovely code in lovely langs with lovely tools maybe its the job and your idiot managers that suck.

if your entire company immediately swtiched to writing PHP in notepad.exe u'd be mad as hell.

moore's law + teh cloud + decent expressive langs means if you're not retarded and using correct tools and correct architecture it doesn't really matter what you're doing as long as u can write good code that gets poo poo done (conveniently ruling plangs other than glue code, flash (lmao why the gently caress did you write that), java (lol), etc etc etc)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

java is fine as is python for little things

you hosed up

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

java is c# for idiots

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

java is c# for idiots

c# is java for people who want to spend more money

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
lol if you have to pay for mircosoft stuff, get your job/clients to do that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly lol if you are coding without there being enough money in it to make any tools rounding errors in the overall cost, get a more fun career if you are ok with poor pay

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

mostly lol if you are coding without there being enough money in it to make any tools rounding errors in the overall cost, get a more fun career if you are ok with poor pay

your mom was a rounding error in the overall cost

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wit dat pancake rear end

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

seriously if youi're not using the proper tools give the gently caress up and get another job don't spend ur life writing fuckin horrible code that does nothing jesus

who cares how much it costs make someone else pay for you or just steal it; its 2014 yospos bithc

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
poo poo, someone start talking about 'nads again. whisper sweet functional code to me, and i will reply "lol wut"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Deacon of Delicious posted:

poo poo, someone start talking about 'nads again. whisper sweet functional code to me, and i will reply "lol wut"

http://www.valuedlessons.com/2008/01/monads-in-python-with-nice-syntax.html

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

oh. well, "thanks"

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

oh, excuse me. i meant, "monads in python? lol wut"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
here's my bf interpreter that uses monads (mostly State), lens and lots of unsafe code* that will crash on invalid inputs (negative tape index, unexpected end of input)

http://lpaste.net/100390

I did it for a timed contest but since my Tape type is essentially a list zipper I'd quite like to use lens-zipper in place of rolling my own if I can ever be bothered

lens lets me do operations on the state like cmdCount += 1 where cmdCount is a field of the state which is much nicer than the alternatives

* mostly stuff like let Just x = ...

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 26, 2014

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

AlsoD posted:

operations on the state like cmdCount += 1 [...] is much nicer than the alternatives

that's what us imperative programmers have been saying for years

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
are people using c# for things outside little departmental websites and windows GUIs (we use it to make panels full of buttons and graphs that trigger our trading services)

like there are no significant desktop applications written in c# are there

and there aren't many big popular websites written in c# (I can't think of any offhand)

c# is nowhere in mobile

I don't think anyone uses it for embedded

I hear it's a good language but I don't write dinky websites or windows UIs so I can't be bothered to take an interest

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internaut! posted:

and there aren't many big popular websites written in c# (I can't think of any offhand)

what defines "big popular websites"? i used to work at a place that took in millions of dollars a day selling business cards and tchotchkes with c# sites and applications

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Damiya posted:

i may be a 6'6" trans non-passing gay woman

:smith::hf::smith:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Internaut! posted:

snack overflow

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

plucky little microsoft never stops trying, but one day someone will try out their neat little asp.net thing and discover that it works :shobon:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
c# can be decompiled almost verbatim with one click so that kinda puts a damper on using it to ship commercial client-side applications

also i tried using IDEA for a bit and it kept loving up my whitespace even when I asked it not to so I uninstalled it

Have you tried Netbeans lately? It's actually not-stupid out of the box and seems to suit my needs pretty well. I imported a Maven project into it from a Git working directory and it pretty much knew what was up, indentation used four spaces and no ASCII TABs with an extra four spaces for wrapped lines.

To get all that poo poo configured correctly in Eclipse or IDEA would have taken a lot of clicking around in menus and then a whole bunch more work to make it easy for any collaborators to have the exact same settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Internaut! posted:

are people using c# for things outside little departmental websites and windows GUIs (we use it to make panels full of buttons and graphs that trigger our trading services)

like there are no significant desktop applications written in c# are there

c# is nowhere in mobile

I don't think anyone uses it for embedded

how many of these "popular websites" are written in PHP, CSS, HTML, JS, Flash, or Java?

how many "significant desktop apps" are written in java or some other hilarious monstrosity thats even worse

how many mobile telephones run Java?

(wide use doens't imply quality, see: java, flash, php, js)

seriously i don't know why you idiots keep on using these bad languages. they're super lovely