Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

schwenz posted:

I can't help but get on a soap box about this, sorry.

Most people don't notice how crazy the anatomy in something like this is. They see it's a photo and they just assume he's built that way. Designers all copy each other, and if the superhero physic gets popular enough we start to bring it into fashion photography. Once fashion uses it, advertising does. It's not long until every photo of a man you see looks like a Rob Liefeld drawing. It becomes the standard by which we judge a man's beauty. One that cannot under any circumstances be obtained.

I'm still pissed at Calvin Klein for causing the washboard ab craze. A look I can't get Without makeup and carrying around a really good lighting rig.

Maybe try doing a situp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

This is literally all I know of the falcon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q55M6X2cOtk

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

Iron Man's suit is a helluva lot more impressive in what it can do but is a lot less busy. Clasp 'n' Stud Man!

Also, a t-shirt?

Yeah, I like the wings and the little jet pack intake, but the whole "tactical" nature kinda turns me off. They could have given him a speed suit or something.

That's the problem with making something too "realistic", if you go too far, it becomes hard to suspend disbelief.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I like the wings and the little jet pack intake, but the whole "tactical" nature kinda turns me off. They could have given him a speed suit or something.

That's the problem with making something too "realistic", if you go too far, it becomes hard to suspend disbelief.

I'm guessing they're going for something like a HALO jumper but without the oxygen and gunt-chute, if Wilson has a skydiving background.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's probably in the Air Force or special forces or something. Hard to tell at this point.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Poster for the new documentary "Stripped", drawn by Bill Watterson(!)

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

HorseRenoir posted:

Poster for the new documentary "Stripped", drawn by Bill Watterson(!)

Bill Watterson?! That's all you need to say, I'm seeing this one.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Franz von Dada posted:

Bill Watterson?! That's all you need to say, I'm seeing this one.

He gives an audio interview in it, and was apparently so pleased with how it came out that he drew that poster.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hat Thoughts posted:

He gives an audio interview in it, and was apparently so pleased with how it came out that he drew that poster.

I'm in. That's credibility you just can't buy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Glad to see that somebody's finally taking a stand against Big Print.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Seems like the perfect topic for him. The intros to most Calvin & Hobbes collections were him ranting about the ways newspapers were operated and how they hosed over comics.

Unfortunately I'm going to guess that most of his interview will be old man complaining about new fangled gizmos and how they're Just Not the Same.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Glad to see that somebody's finally taking a stand against Big Print.

Who says anyone's taking a stand against anything? I'm guessing this documentary is about the transition from print to web and the loss of the comic strip section in local newspapers.

edit: nvm. my Bill Watgerson knowledge is weak

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bill Watterson is a bitter man, and not to be trusted.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Bill Watterson is a bitter man, and not to be trusted.

So just the type of person I can trust!

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Stripped Film posted:

STRIPPED is a love-letter to comic strips. It brings together the world’s best cartoonists to talk about the art form they love, and what happens to it as newspapers die. Over 90 interviews were conducted, including the first-ever audio interview with Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes), as well as Jim Davis (Garfield), Cathy Guisewite(Cathy), Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey), Mike & Jerry (Penny Arcade), Matt Inman (The Oatmeal), Jeff Keane (The Family Circus), Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics), Lynn Johnston (FBOFW), Zach Weiner (SMBC), Scott Kurtz (PvP), Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics), Richard Thompson (Cul de Sac), Jeph Jacques(Questionable Content), Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine), Bill Amend (Foxtrot), Kate Beaton (Hark! A Vagrant) and more. STRIPPED sits down with these creators to talk about how cartooning works, why it’s so loved, and how they’re navigating this dicey period between print and digital options…when neither path works perfectly.

Even more than comics, this movie’s about pursuing art in an age when the business of art is changing constantly.

There's a more complete list of the interviews in the link.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erebus posted:

Seems like the perfect topic for him. The intros to most Calvin & Hobbes collections were him ranting about the ways newspapers were operated and how they hosed over comics.

Unfortunately I'm going to guess that most of his interview will be old man complaining about new fangled gizmos and how they're Just Not the Same.

In the interview he reveals that he's been running a video gaming webcomic for the past five years and no one has noticed it's him. :v:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Jervas Dudley posted:

There's a more complete list of the interviews in the link.
Haha some of the choices for those interviews are kind of hilarious, especially Ryan North because in a sense Dinosaur Comics is basically the polar opposite of Calvin and Hobbes.

I'm rather surprised that Kate Beaton is included, surprised and pleased.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Strange Matter posted:

I'm rather surprised that Kate Beaton is included, surprised and pleased.

Woha woha, Bill Watterson in an interwiev AND Kate Beaton? Man, it's kinda the same situation where I heard they were doing a remake of True Grit. (bleh)

Directed by the Cohens! :stare:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Have a Raid 2 poster:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ubergnu posted:

Woha woha, Bill Watterson in an interwiev AND Kate Beaton? Man, it's kinda the same situation where I heard they were doing a remake of True Grit. (bleh)

Directed by the Cohens! :stare:

Ahem. Coens. :colbert:

Anyways, yeah I was about to go share this when I saw it was trending on Facebook. It looks really good and his explanation of the concept is pretty amusing as well:

Bill Watterson posted:

Given the movie’s title and the fact that there are few things funnier than human nudity, the idea popped into my head largely intact. The film is a big valentine to comics, so I tried to do something really cartoon-y. I had thought of having it colored with off-registered printing dots like newspaper comics, but Dave asked if I’d paint it instead, and I think he made the right call.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

As that penguin Opus might say, Bill Watterson is one of history's greatest strippers.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Ahem. Coens. :colbert:

Dammit

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those Mondo BttF 1 & 2 posters go up sometime this morning today. $60 each. If you want to stand a chance at even getting them use this plugin on the site: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus/oilipfekkmncanaajkapbpancpelijih?hl=en

Set it to intervals of around 5 to 10 seconds. They will be on the site before the announcements on Twitter or Facebook - usually a minute or so - it's how ive snagged all of mine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

Those Mondo BttF 1 & 2 posters go up sometime this morning today. $60 each. If you want to stand a chance at even getting them use this plugin on the site: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-refresh-plus/oilipfekkmncanaajkapbpancpelijih?hl=en

Set it to intervals of around 5 to 10 seconds. They will be on the site before the announcements on Twitter or Facebook - usually a minute or so - it's how ive snagged all of mine.

Just went up. I was on it in mere SECONDS and it still sold out before I could get it. Goddamn they have the most crash prone lovely shopping cart system ever.

Got part 1 though.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 27, 2014

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Had both in my cart, went to checkout and the site stalled. That was pretty fast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It happens to the best of us.

I mean Bill Murray. Bill Murray is the best of us.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hardflip posted:

Had both in my cart, went to checkout and the site stalled. That was pretty fast.

Yeah me too...then i went back and put just 1 back in (since 2 sold out first) and got it. I like the first one, but I reallly wanted part 2. Shouldn't have overreached for both.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah me too...then i went back and put just 1 back in (since 2 sold out first) and got it. I like the first one, but I reallly wanted part 2. Shouldn't have overreached for both.

I had another window open when I was trying to refresh and still had Part 1 in my cart. Really should've just gone ahead and got that. I wonder how many are going to get flipped.

Glad I picked up the Forbidden Planet one last week though. ALAS

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ShufflerZero posted:

Pourin outta 40: My Kid Made This part 5

I don't know many "ladies" that go around dressing like that. Hussy.

Featuring: Intense Nun! Broken Neck Woman! the Popcorn Humper! the Creeper Bros! and the Ghost of the woman-who-was-just-a-head-and-one-shoulder!

Oh that Kill Squad, always turning up when half the job's done.

Sure he remembered to bring the storm, but where's the potato salad?

Asleep on the job again? You're fired Thompson!

Robopig! Cross-Eyed Reaper! Sleepy Man! Waking up on the beach! Sleeping in the Tub! and... umm... Zardoz?

Because nothing says blood-thumping action like pastels.

I will watch all of these.

And thanks to youtube I probably can!

Slasherfan posted:

I'm not mad about the blu ray cover for Tourist Trap.

Here is the original.

That's a travesty.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

Have a Raid 2 poster:

Haha wow, this looks grindhouse as gently caress and I really dig it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Some Zombeavers posters, I don't know if these are real but they showed up on the official twitter feed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And with those posters, I can already tell that this movie is one of those obnoxious comedies that intentionally tries to be so bad it's good, especially with those blurbs going "OH MAN IT'S SO BAD YOU GUYS"

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Regardless of the films quality I really like how the posters quote world star

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Waffleman_ posted:

And with those posters, I can already tell that this movie is one of those obnoxious comedies that intentionally tries to be so bad it's good, especially with those blurbs going "OH MAN IT'S SO BAD YOU GUYS"

Yeah, it looks insufferable but, for a movie like that, it's posters are pretty good.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I chuckled at "please take this off my resume", but yeah, I think a movies enjoyable badness has to be earned through incompetence or lack of heart. This is just a joke trailer turned into a movie.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Waffleman_ posted:

It reminds me of when commercials for Vampire's Suck came out and all of the reviews mentioned were by reviewers like "Seymour Butz", I guess because the producers couldn't find a single positive review from even the most obscure source to cite.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The 4chan/reddit generation are now old enough to bring their "ironic" humour to the masses.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Calico Heart posted:

I chuckled at "please take this off my resume", but yeah, I think a movies enjoyable badness has to be earned through incompetence or lack of heart. This is just a joke trailer turned into a movie.

This. It's also why crap like Sharknado does nothing for me. There's a difference between parody and homage (Grindhouse, Machete) and cynically making a piece of poo poo to corner the 'bad movie' market. The people who rent/buy this stuff don't like 'bad movies', they like the idea of liking them. They would never sit through Buffalo Rider or Puma Man... though I can't really fault anyone for not watching Puma Man.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Puma Man was actually my introduction to Mystery Science Theater 3000 and it remains as one my favorite episodes.

Supersonic Man could be considered the spiritual successor to Puma Man, and it almost makes Puma Man seem competent by comparison.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, this compilation might be interesting for you all. Movie posters from Hungary from the 80's, often created with a rather unique approach to the source material.