Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GreenNight posted:

One of the reasons I got for not giving out nice monitors or even dual monitors is "if you give a few people them, then everyone will want one and gently caress that".

This was the reason we weren't allowed to have a water cooler or crock at my last job. It was a bunch of offices above the public area of the business. When we asked for a water cooler they said, "If we have one and someone from the floor comes up to our offices and sees it, they'll want one too."

Two things:
1) So deny the request, it's clear that you don't care how happy they are so this shouldn't be difficult.
2) So loving give them one too. Oh no!

A water cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Che Delilas posted:

This was the reason we weren't allowed to have a water cooler or crock at my last job. It was a bunch of offices above the public area of the business. When we asked for a water cooler they said, "If we have one and someone from the floor comes up to our offices and sees it, they'll want one too."

Two things:
1) So deny the request, it's clear that you don't care how happy they are so this shouldn't be difficult.
2) So loving give them one too. Oh no!

A water cooler.

Sad thing is, it probably would have been cheaper to just buy a few water coolers as opposed to the cost of having the bigwigs meet and deny the request.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Verdugo posted:

Sad thing is, it probably would have been cheaper to just buy a few water coolers as opposed to the cost of having the bigwigs meet and deny the request.

I've had a client want to have a management meeting to discuss a £6 per month Skype Connect service to let customers call into their PBX from their website before. They've been deciding for two months.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Caged posted:

I've had a client want to have a management meeting to discuss a £6 per month Skype Connect service to let customers call into their PBX from their website before. They've been deciding for two months.

It's not that they haven't decided, it's just that the clubhouse at the local golf course has been booked solid for 2 months so they can't find a place to hold their management meeting. Because gently caress conference rooms, those are for the underlings.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Granted I look at resumes for a living now, but I've seen several 14-16 pages long.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Amphion posted:

Did you end up moving to Dallas?
Yes I did!

dogstile posted:

I'm really ignorant on that sort of thing. Is that to little? To long? If its too long why is that? I never really did any form of resume training and just kinda put something that looked kinda good together and threw it out and it was two pages, but that was before I had a job.
Faaaaar too long. There are too many things here that he needs to be taking for granted that I know, or simply need to fall off the resume. There's a bullet here for backing up registry entries. That's not a resume bullet, that's just a thing you do.

Count Sacula posted:

Granted I look at resumes for a living now, but I've seen several 14-16 pages long.
Sheesh.

Caged posted:

Keep it to two pages. If you can't fit it on two pages then get better at writing, or don't put in stuff like your first part time job or your high school grades because they don't matter.

A CV isn't a list of everything you've done ever.
I am a strong believer in everything Caged is saying and the way he's saying it.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Count Sacula posted:

Sounds like Federal Gov't HR, where the advice seems to be "make your resume as long as possible."

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I laid into a buddy of mine because he put something along the lines of

"Utilized Remote Desktop to access a Terminal Server to manage User Accounts"

as a bullet point on his resume. You wouldn't put "Utilized mouse and keyboard to input data into computer" on your resume so why the gently caress did you put that.

After you've been working for a while your resume should tell me what you ACCOMPLISHED not what you did. END RESULTS of work you performed.

"Installed, Configured, and Maintained Windows Update Server to ensure 400 workstations were patched against latest security threats"

That tells me you're smart enough to setup a Windows Server with WSUS and use it to patch your workstations. Great, you're not completely retarded you get an interview.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

skipdogg posted:

"Utilized Remote Desktop to access a Terminal Server to manage User Accounts"

Wow. "Then I tied my own shoes and went a whole day without making GBS threads my pants!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

Wow. "Then I tied my own shoes and went a whole day without making GBS threads my pants!"

A whole day? loving hell, I'm jealous over here.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I think a local company may have tipped off their intention to automate computer programers in a recent job posting.

quote:

- Perform server side scripting, metadata handling, review hierarchies and formulas.
- Manage projects through the entire software development cycle.
- Work with a team that designs, codes, tests and deploys computer programmers.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently diagnose and trouble shoot system problems

Given its in Montreal there's a good chance that job posting was poorly translated from french.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not even a shart?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If your resume is more than two pages long, you better be someone like Richard Stallman. Even two pages is pushing it in my opinion. My previous company used to throw any over two pages in the trash automatically because 9/10 they were either fakers or the type of person who thinks way too highly of themselves.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Count Sacula posted:

Is this an international phenomenon? A thing we do here deals with a lot of college transcripts. Most for US colleges are 1-2 pages tops. Australia? Commonly 30-50 pages going back all the way through all the school they've ever had. Printed on very expensive paper with an embossed gold seal with a ribbon on the back with very fancy binding. It's flat out bizarre.

edit: this is my favorite resume:

I can't pull that off, but it's always something I think back on. Concise and clear, self promoting in just the right degree and definitely keeps plugging accomplishments.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 26, 2014

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
he needs to gently caress off with those ellipses

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
The long ones I see almost always come from Indian dev/QAs, hell bent on inserting every menial task they've ever done, just in case.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ZetsurinPower posted:

he needs to gently caress off with those ellipses
He used them twice, once after the word etc...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just finished my last day at the last non-IT job I'll ever have!

I start my first day working in the wonderful world of Tier-2 helpdesk on Monday... I think I can finally YOTJ! :toot:

Going to be working on those certs hardcore and trying not to get stuck in helpdesk for too long.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Most resumes should be 1 page long, unless you have a doctorate or a 20+ year career with multiple publications.

Anecdotally, every single phone interview I've had recently has only focused on the first page of the resume. Like, they didn't even bother looking at the second aside from glancing at it to see if I had a degree.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psydude posted:

Anecdotally, every single phone interview I've had recently has only focused on the first page of the resume. Like, they didn't even bother looking at the second aside from glancing at it to see if I had a degree.
Went through the trouble of getting a degree and squeeze it into the last line of the resume because no one actually cares about it crew represent.

e: IT life.
Me: Hey guys I have a degree from a nationally respected university
Coworkers:

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 27, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright this needs to be said; had too many nameless PM's about this so here we go.

I don't care who you are, what you do, or how you make living. We are mostly dedicated to helping others learn and I will be the first to admit I don't know everything.

I want this to be an open environment for people too ask questions, and I don't give a poo poo if that means I need to answer PM's daily on stuff but no one should be afraid to ask questions!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 27, 2014

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Job interview in 40 minutes and I am farting like a leaking zeppeliner :yotj:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Job interview in 40 minutes and I am farting like a leaking zeppeliner :yotj:

Assert your dominance. Walk in, make eye contact, fart long, loud and proud. Bonus points if you can work the cloud butt into the interview.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 27, 2014

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

dogstile posted:

Assert your dominance. Walk in, make eye contact, fart long, loud and proud. Bonus points of you can work the cloud butt into the interview.
A surefire approach to any management position!

Anyway, interview went really good. Most of the concerns I had, were addressed by the 5(!) people present and they seem very aware that I am going to need time and help developing my skillset to match the position. It seemed they had already unofficially decided to hire me and so already had a plan for how my transition from my current position into to the new one is going to happen.

Pay is very decent considering my newly educated and under experienced butt and I get some nice perks too like phone, internet and being allowed to work from home; including any work related furniture I would need: Hello free standing desk :).
Besides being off a time-limited contract is a really nice feeling and I can stop constantly reading job postings for the foreseeable future.

:yotj: gently caress yeah!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Congrats! Those are some sweet perks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hurray!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Asked for a 50k increase, got 20k with a guarantee (verbal of course) of another 20k during my next renewal :toot: Ah contracting, keep being awesome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat, that's like real money.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sepist posted:

Asked for a 50k increase, got 20k with a guarantee (verbal of course) of another 20k during my next renewal :toot: Ah contracting, keep being awesome.

What do you do and how do I do that?

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Which Long Island baller is going to have a mansion in the Hampton's first, Septist or Misogynist?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Network architecture in NYC.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Sepist posted:

I love the money but I just can't handle contracting anymore. For some reason I can't reconcile the idea more money versus PTO and benefits. I like the stability. But that's also because I've not had great contracting experiences and I've seen a bunch of my friends get treated like poo poo while contracting. But the pay is awesome.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

evil_bunnY posted:

Network architecture in NYC.

This is what I've wanted to do. But in Nashville.

Either way, day 1 help desk starts MONDAY :toot:

Baby steps

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Amphion posted:

Which Long Island baller is going to have a mansion in the Hampton's first, Septist or Misogynist?
Ha, good luck with that, it's hard enough affording a 3br high ranch out here.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I love the money but I just can't handle contracting anymore. For some reason I can't reconcile the idea more money versus PTO and benefits. I like the stability. But that's also because I've not had great contracting experiences and I've seen a bunch of my friends get treated like poo poo while contracting. But the pay is awesome.

I've been able to cheat by getting benefits from my part time job.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Net eng consulting for a service provider. Learn to troubleshoot networks I suppose!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sepist posted:

Net eng consulting for a service provider. Learn to troubleshoot networks I suppose!

Sounds like a plan.

Master.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Crossposting from BFC since this fits here:
OK, looking for a sanity check:

I'm in the situation of being a contractor and having the company I actually work for wanting to bring me in as an internal. I haven't' disclosed anything salarywise, but they literally have the contract that shows how much WORKPLACE is paying CONTRACTINGFIRM for my services, so they have a decent idea of what I make. The offer is to do the same job I currently am, but with a couple of exceptions:

Salaried vs Hourly, with oncall time as well as OT
I'd be going essentially oncall 52 weeks a year, currently switching off so 26 weeks
I'll be traveling a few weeks a year, and those weeks are very busy. Some more expenses involved like boarding for my dog etc.

WORKPLACE came over with an offer that is salarywise 2k above what I grossed on my w2 last year, with better vacation, worse sick time, better 401k match % but a 5 year vesting scheme on it, and I'm trying to figure out what to counter with. I can see on my paystubs how much of my total pay with CONTRACTINGFIRM is coming from the 26 weeks of oncall, and it amounts to ~15% of my current pay. Given the extended oncall, travel would it be crazy of me to request OFFER+19%?

WORKPLACE offer includes a 10% bonus goal, but I don't know how I should factor that in, if at all.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't care what you're paying me, gently caress being on call for 26 weeks straight. No amount of money is worth being tied to you phone and laptop 24/7/183.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I'm thinking that he switches off with another person. So, every other week rather than 26 weeks in a row.

• Locked thread