Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

the littlest prince posted:

Up the page a bit.

Ah, missed the context on that one. Yeah, don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

TraderStav posted:

Ah, missed the context on that one. Yeah, don't do that.

You've got an uphill battle to convince me that lying to marketers is a bad thing, or unethical. I'm inclined to believe that their whole industry is unethical in the first place.

Anyway, I got Out There and it crashes after language selection. I tried emailing the address from the Play store page and it doesn't appear to exist. Sigh.

HTC One, if anyone is interested.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Edit: ^^^ Because being bad to bad people doesn't make it right. Marketers are generally scum, but being a jerk to them doesn't make them less bad. Two wrongs don't make a right, etc. etc.

Make sure you pay attention when setting this up for the first time. It takes you through a pseudo-survey basically intended to make sure you're capable of answering questions and aren't just hitting buttons randomly. If you fail it, I think it just doesn't ever give you any surveys. Also, don't expect to be rolling in play store credits. I've had it for about 3 months or so and managed to accrue all of $3.75 in that time. But still it's money for almost no effort, assuming you can find something cheap enough to spend it on.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Maybe my reading comprehension is off of the rails, but who is suggesting being dishonest in these surveys?

The guy that said he was a stay at home mom.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pozzo posted:

You've got an uphill battle to convince me that lying to marketers is a bad thing, or unethical. I'm inclined to believe that their whole industry is unethical in the first place.

They're also going to factor in that some people are going to be giving dishonest information. I suppose it's unethical in the sense that you're being dishonest, but I wouldn't lose my sleep over it. They are making a lot of money off the data they are getting from you for a pittance, and that's why they won't stop sending surveys at people.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Pozzo posted:

Anyway, I got Out There and it crashes after language selection. I tried emailing the address from the Play store page and it doesn't appear to exist. Sigh.

HTC One, if anyone is interested.
I found his actual email when I was trying to request immersive mode. It's listed on his website so I didn't do any internet detective poo poo to get it.

michael.peiffert@miclos.com

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

New Leaf posted:

Quick "Out There" question- If I probe a gas giant for resources and it comes up with things I can stick in my fuel tank, but I don't have room in my cargo, is there any way to go to the ship screen to rearrange without losing the probe? Or is that asking too much?

No, but to free up room on your ship you can get rid of unwanted resources by dragging them to one of the empty slots on the probe.

Breaking your interplanetary reactor when you have no iron to fix it is the worst. I came across a really kick rear end ship just floating in space only to have its reactor break after the jump to the very next system, leaving me to keep jumping until I ran out of fuel :( Only later did I realize that you could dismantle one of your ship's systems if you desperately needed some precious iron.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 27, 2014

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Yes please don't lie to people who are gathering data with the aim of manipulating you with it later, its unethical.

Downloaded a card game called Major League Wizardry. You have a deck of cards from which you cast monsters, traps and spells trying to kill off the other guy. Like MtG, but simpler. Its still in beta so its still pretty bare bones and there are bugs and crashes and weird UI choices, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

My friend just finished an interactive novel that claims to be the longest ever written.

Initial reviews are good, although it *just* came out. This is from the same company that did the fun Horatio Hornblower-inspired novels.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hostedgames.tinstar&referrer=utm_medium%3Dweb%26utm_source%3DtinstarGame

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
I made it crazy far in Out There but some random event took random technologies from me one of which was 'Drill' which caused some concern at the time but I forgot about it until eventually I lost my drill, had to jump into another ship that had one in a system that's occupied by enemies, had 1 thorium too few to recreate my 'jump further' device and game over right there because not a single system was within default jump ranger.

There's a lot going on in this game that aren't obvious and I have yet to make it to any of the 3 (I'm aware of) story systems to see what's going on there. Also things that enhance drives are worth their weight in gold and should be installed immediately. Shields somewhat so and Cryonics are worth installing on new ships despite the fact it doesn't seem useful. So much crap to carry around and so few slots.

EDIT: One more thing that took me a minute - if you have a 'enhanced shield' item and you put it anywhere other than next to the shield device so that its glowing blue with an arrow towards shields, it's worthless. A lot of ships come with these 'enhancer' items but they don't do anything because they're in the wrong place.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
My problem with the Google surveys is that half the time they are terribly designed surveys. Like it will ask (1st question )

What brand of car do you own?

No choice for "I don't own a car". There's a bunch of similar questions I've received as well where I've been forced to just choose something random because the questions were terrible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pozzo posted:

You, sir, are no Bill Hicks.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy the poo poo out of the Room and the Room 2, what are some similiar games?

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

Demerzel posted:

I made it crazy far in Out There but some random event took random technologies from me one of which was 'Drill' which caused some concern at the time but I forgot about it until eventually I lost my drill, had to jump into another ship that had one in a system that's occupied by enemies, had 1 thorium too few to recreate my 'jump further' device and game over right there because not a single system was within default jump ranger.

There's a lot going on in this game that aren't obvious and I have yet to make it to any of the 3 (I'm aware of) story systems to see what's going on there. Also things that enhance drives are worth their weight in gold and should be installed immediately. Shields somewhat so and Cryonics are worth installing on new ships despite the fact it doesn't seem useful. So much crap to carry around and so few slots.

EDIT: One more thing that took me a minute - if you have a 'enhanced shield' item and you put it anywhere other than next to the shield device so that its glowing blue with an arrow towards shields, it's worthless. A lot of ships come with these 'enhancer' items but they don't do anything because they're in the wrong place.
Oh bloody hell, dont. I bought in on the whim from all the "oh my god this rocks". Took me maybe an hour of playing, but I finally got to one, the green one. There's this huge loving space dinosaur size of a small moon and he tells you that, hey, actually, we blew your planet hundred billions years ago because cosmic balance and preservation of energy and poo poo. And then the game ends with the hero monologue about how his real quest started. Not even a bloody free play or anything. Just poof, end Incredibly disappointing and I dont think I got the strength in me to replay it after this bull.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Does how you answer those surveys even affect how much google play credit you receive? I've gotten a quarter for answering "no" to a single question several times.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ponzicar posted:

Does how you answer those surveys even affect how much google play credit you receive? I've gotten a quarter for answering "no" to a single question several times.

I would hope not, because that would be incredibly stupid of them. If you pay more for some answers than others, you're incentivizing lying as soon as word of it gets out. But I don't know. Almost everything that comes up so far doesn't apply to me, so almost all of mine have been single question 'nope' answers, and I have only ever gotten 25 cents per.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
It seems that you get a quarter for saying no and some amount of money higher if you answer more questions, so honestly they're just asking to be lied to (not that I do, replying honestly got me ~$15 so far). Especially with those lovely questions with no "this doesn't apply to me" answer commented on above.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
Anyone know of any 2 player puzzle games similar to Candy Crush? My wife is not really a fan of games, aside from that one, and it would be cool to play with her.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Present posted:

Yes please don't lie to people who are gathering data with the aim of manipulating you with it later, its unethical.
Yeah what the hell, people are seriously having a morality crisis over lying to marketers?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Indeed. Political polls? Say the truth. Opinion polls? Say the truth. Marketing dudes? gently caress them.

Finally got home and bought Out There. So far one of the finest game to reach my phone.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

ilysespieces posted:

It seems that you get a quarter for saying no and some amount of money higher if you answer more questions, so honestly they're just asking to be lied to (not that I do, replying honestly got me ~$15 so far). Especially with those lovely questions with no "this doesn't apply to me" answer commented on above.

My very first one after installing I answered "no" to and got a dollar. So I would imagine its the same amount regardless of how you answer.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

baka kaba posted:

Yeah what the hell, people are seriously having a morality crisis over lying to marketers?

Well, this thread has had debates over what hardware you're allowed to run games you bought 20 years ago on, or whether you're allowed to edit a DWORD on your phone when someone is willing to charge you for the privilege, so it's not a huge surprise.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
For Adventure Time fans there's a new game out called Card Wars which is based on the game of the same name played by Finn and Jake in the episode of the same name: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.cardwars

It's four bucks with IAPs. Alas, it also has an energy system which pretty much every review I've skimmed through says brings an otherwise solid game down.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What is this google survey thing?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

andrew smash posted:

What is this google survey thing?

There's a Google app you can download that makes you fill out marketing surveys and you get paid for your participation to your Google wallet. I believe its limited to the US only.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I found a golf game that I like a bit.

It's "Golf Star"... It's COM2US, so there are definitely IAPs and stamina and all that, but it's been totally playable and enjoyable for the past few days. The only thing that irritates me is your skill progress is pretty slow. It's taking forever to get my drive up to something respectable.

It's challenging, but never feels unfair or that you need to pay for the boost items. It's a nice traditional golf experience.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com2us.golfstarworldtour.normal.freefull.google.global.android.common

Here's my friend code...
9UL8L6

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

baka kaba posted:

Yes, marketers, the true evil in this world. :fap:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
All I know is that I told it that I was a single working mother that liked snickers and it gave me a whole dollar

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

fluppet posted:

Why does this need access to send sms?

You can send your score to people with sms.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Stan Taylor posted:

My very first one after installing I answered "no" to and got a dollar. So I would imagine its the same amount regardless of how you answer.

Then I am suffering from some confirmation bias, I want to keep track of all my "no" quizzes and any ones I actually can answer and how much they pay but I'm so lazy. Someone else, who is not a lazy gently caress, should do that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

For Adventure Time fans there's a new game out called Card Wars which is based on the game of the same name played by Finn and Jake in the episode of the same name: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.cardwars

It's four bucks with IAPs. Alas, it also has an energy system which pretty much every review I've skimmed through says brings an otherwise solid game down.

I love this loving game so far. It is insanely addictive. I'm through to the third opponent and have gathered enough resources to craft my own deck, which is nice. There is a gem system that lets you open a chest for a random "rare+" card, and my second pull was a 17 attack monster. The highest you start with is 3. Jesus.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ilysespieces posted:

Someone else, who is not a lazy gently caress

I'm afraid we're fresh out, sir. All apologies. Perhaps you'd like to try some complimentary Cheetos?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mrkillboy posted:

A for-pay game with IAPs and an energy system? And it's not made by EA? They must be slacking off...

gently caress, I might buy it anyway. I want a card game for my phone so bad, and Hearthstone isn't for months at best.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I would absolutely love more board game ports on my phone. Netrunner would be so good. Does anyone know if that Galaxy Trucker iOS port that isn't out yet is coming to android ever?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Stan Taylor posted:

I would absolutely love more board game ports on my phone. Netrunner would be so good. Does anyone know if that Galaxy Trucker iOS port that isn't out yet is coming to android ever?

Not sure, there are a few iOS boardgame ports i would love to see - eclipse, caylus, suburbia, etc. Kingdom builder and carcassonne both have pretty good ports, and there are freeware versions of dominion and san juan (androminion and condado respectively) that are pretty good too. Apparently elder sign is a good recreation of the boardgame, but i think it's a poo poo game to begin with so i can't give you much there.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

mrkillboy posted:

There's a Google app you can download that makes you fill out marketing surveys and you get paid for your participation to your Google wallet. I believe its limited to the US only.

Just to clarify, it's not to your Google wallet, it's just as Google play store credit. Which can only be used to buy something of equal or less cost than the amount of credit you have, you can't combine it with any other payment methods. If it was just Google wallet, that would be great, I could use those tiny credits at other retailers who actually do know how to add one payment method to another.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

vulturesrow posted:

Yes, marketers, the true evil in this world. :fap:
Pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nice. At least (some) lawyers (sometimes) help (some) people.

What's people's opinions on racing games?

I've been playing Real Racing 3 ( EA :barf: ), and it would be good if it weren't for a few things:
- gold costs go up exponentially while earnings only rise linearly.
- all cars locked, so you can't buy what you want without unlocking events through progress or gold
- energy costs for upgrades and buying of cars (skip time with gold)
- limited number of Time Trial uses.
- no free ride mode with cars you've bought or otherwise.

Tilt controls work fine though, and it has a calibrator and sensitivity adjust, which Angry Birds Go does not. :lol:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

A for-pay game with IAPs and an energy system? And it's not made by EA? They must be slacking off...

gently caress, I might buy it anyway. I want a card game for my phone so bad, and Hearthstone isn't for months at best.

Honestly I wouldn't. The iOS review slam the end game pretty bad. If you don't have the best cards you lose. And each battle takes most of your energy bar.

I really wanted to buy the game, but I can't handle a premium game with harsh timers :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

andrew smash posted:

Not sure, there are a few iOS boardgame ports i would love to see - eclipse, caylus, suburbia, etc. Kingdom builder and carcassonne both have pretty good ports, and there are freeware versions of dominion and san juan (androminion and condado respectively) that are pretty good too. Apparently elder sign is a good recreation of the boardgame, but i think it's a poo poo game to begin with so i can't give you much there.

I could never get androminion to work properly on my nexus 5 so I had to uninstall. It would display everything all wrong so the I couldn't press buttons or do anything. That would be a great time waster when I'm poopin.

• Locked thread