Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Thauros posted:

Eh, it was a fun short match betweeen two good hosses but it wasn't that memorable.

it was a good match with a bad finish. at no point would I say it was a great match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

HulkaMatt posted:

Now here is where some people get confused. We have something called Honorable Mention.

The Honorable Mention is for one thing. You nominate it for the matches that JUST BARELY miss that MOTYC nomination. That's it. It is NOT for matches you think that were just really fun. It is NOT for a match that you thought somebody should just go out of the way to see. It is just for those matches that were just shy of hitting that level of MOTYC in your mind.

Was that match on the clusp of being a MotY candidate? God no.

It wasn't even on the clusp of being a HM.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
These threads really should be closed for the duration of RAW until the next day so people can think things over. It was a fine match, quite fun, but HM is pushing it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ratedargh posted:

These threads really should be closed for the duration of RAW until the next day so people can think things over. It was a fine match, quite fun, but HM is pushing it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jackie D posted:

Even with the finish

HM: Big E/Cesaro, Intercontinental Title, 2/24 RAW

It's good that this match didn't exist.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Ratedargh posted:

This used to be the case, but HulkaMatt said it wasn't fair to Raw. People just need to think before they give a match a nod.

(And I'm saying this.)

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I stand by it :colbert:

Ratedargh posted:

These threads really should be closed for the duration of RAW until the next day so people can think things over.

this is fair though

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The close during Raw thing is not a bad idea but I would say that was easily an HM candidate. People underrate how hard it is to have a hoss-off that good.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

HM is a match that is just shy of being a match of the year candidate, and I wouldn't say that about the match. it was fun, they worked hard. I doubt I'll remember it in a couple months.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
MOTYC- New Age Outlaws vs The Usos, 2/24 Raw

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I desperately wish the terms hoss and/or hoss-off would go away forever.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I desperately wish the terms hoss and/or hoss-off would go away forever.

What terms would you suppose we use for strong, agile, tall men, and the high-impact fights thereof?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
MOTYC: Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls vs Yuji Okabayashi & Shinya Ishikawa - NOAH 01/05

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 25, 2014

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
MOTYC: Cesaro vs Sami Zayn, NXT Arrival 2/27/14

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

DarkstarIV posted:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

honorable mention, imo

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

DarkstarIV posted:

Second/third/fourth/whatever by now.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

DarkstarIV posted:

A correct nomination.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
HM for Cesaro/Zayn I guess. No chance for MOTYC

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HM: Cesaro vs. Zayn, NXT Arrival

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oatgan posted:

honorable mention, imo

yeah, not like it matters lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DarkstarIV posted:

Yep, it was at MOTY level about halfway through.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah, not like it matters lol

I like the sound of my own voice

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

my internet connection died during the middle of the match but i'll n'th this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

HM imo though really it doesn't make sense for HMs to be a separate category I don't think that's how honorable mentions work

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
HM: Paige vs. Emma NXT Arrival

A little bit of sloppy footwork by Paige, but it was a good match. What took it over the top for me was the old-school Joshi submission.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Matlock posted:

HM: Paige vs. Emma NXT Arrival

A little bit of sloppy footwork by Paige, but it was a good match. What took it over the top for me was the old-school Joshi submission.

Yeah, though I was a little disappointed knowing they're capable of better.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Eh, I'll third the HM for Emma/Paige.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it was just an okay match, and "okay is great for divas" doesn't mean it should be an HM

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's not needed but a MOTYC for Cesaro/Zayn. 4th or 5th best match I've seen this year, almost as good as the crazy match they had at the end of the Race to the Top Tournament.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cardboard Box posted:

it was just an okay match, and "okay is great for divas" doesn't mean it should be an HM

Eh, that's the exact reason why I'm calling a HM for Paige/Emma, NXT Arrival. Honorable, to me, means it needs some distinction even if it wasn't one of the best matches this year, and a good women's wrestling match that ended with a pretty sick submission deserves some recognition. Actually, I'm probably giving it a HM because of that sub, but gently caress it. We need to see more matches that go over five minutes and don't use butt-based finishers in the Divas division.

Also Cesaro/Zayn MOTYC, everyone said that already, whatever.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Adrian Neville/Bo Dallas, NXT Arrival.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dias posted:

Eh, that's the exact reason why I'm calling a HM for Paige/Emma, NXT Arrival. Honorable, to me, means it needs some distinction even if it wasn't one of the best matches this year, and a good women's wrestling match that ended with a pretty sick submission deserves some recognition. Actually, I'm probably giving it a HM because of that sub, but gently caress it. We need to see more matches that go over five minutes and don't use butt-based finishers in the Divas division.

Also Cesaro/Zayn MOTYC, everyone said that already, whatever.

how do you feel about five minute men's matches that use butt-based finishers because I've got this mojo rawley for you

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

oatgan posted:

how do you feel about five minute men's matches that use butt-based finishers because I've got this mojo rawley for you

More Divas should believe in the Super-Saiyan-esque power of hype.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oatgan posted:

He didn't even sit on the dude after hitting him with his butt, if it wasn't for me being environmentally concerned I'd nominate it for WMOTYC.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dias posted:

I guess I can't stop you but the thread does say that Honorable Mention is only for matches that just missed the match of the year mark. it's not about what you define as an HM.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 28, 2014

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

I know basically nothing about the participants in this match, but I'll give it an HM, not a MotYC. It was pretty drat entertaining, including some excellent lariats, a couple interesting tag finisher type spots/near falls, and a pretty hilarious body slam spot. Pretty solid 3 3/4 star-ish match.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cardboard Box posted:

I guess I can't stop you but the thread does say that Honorable Mention is only for matches that just missed the match of the year mark. it's not about what you define as an HM.

Well, I'll admit that I'm grading it on a curve. It's just that if I compare it to Bryan/Wyatt, Shield/Wyatts or NJPW stuff, it isn't even close to MOTYC. If I compare it to most women's wrestling, it's up there (although I haven't been following Japanese women's wrestling very well this year). If I compare it to WWE women's wrestling, it's easily MOTY so far. But I think it deserves a HM in context. In any case, you can always dismiss my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I was going to disagree but it's not like every other sport doesn't designate between male and female competition.

Dunno. Is it mysogonistic to be skeptical of if women can put on a 5* classic? Not trying to come off that way but maybe they should be judged on their peers not on how they compare to people triple their weight who are world class athletes at their best.

Eh just weird. It feels lovely both ways. I get that there's a nebulous 5* concept of a match, but that's largely seeded by our experience watching wrestling and almost implicitly with Meltzer's opinion of classic matches, so the designation might have value.

• Locked thread