Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

semiavrage posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/no-more-woof

A device to let your dog talk to you. Oh but it's just an idea, it doesn't work yet. BUT IT WILL! BECAUSE SCIENCE!

...they made 20k...

Pfft, it's not even voiced by Danny DeVito, what a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

semiavrage posted:

A device to let your dog talk to you. Oh but it's just an idea, it doesn't work yet. BUT IT WILL! BECAUSE SCIENCE!

...they made 20k...
I don't have a problem if they were just Kickstarting/GoGoing to fund research but they're totally shilling it as a WORKING DOG TRANSLATOR product.
It's a cool idea but come on, they said they've been at it for six months. Like $20,000 is going to speed it up into a working finalized product that quickly.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

people know dogs don't actually talk right and unless you're a retard you can interpret what their barks mean better than some translater inspired by a simpsons episode

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
If I wanted a pet I could talk to I'd get a parrot or a baby, I mean I guess dogs screech and poo poo less than either of those things but come on.

Several Moms Discover One Weird Trick to Making a lovely Children's Book! Everyone Hates Them!

It takes 40 dollars just to get a copy of the crappy third-grader-art book. Enjoy the pitch video.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Noyemi K posted:

Another OEL manga project, and man the art is just FANTASTIC in this one.

quote:

If $60,000 is reached a RPG/visual novel version of Megami Saga: Resurrection will be in production. The game will be based on all the volumes and will include a few extras within the story. The game will employ a Xenogears/Chono Cross like battle system and a hub based world where you select missions to fight demons or progress through t the story. You can play as Reiko, Ai, Hotaru and Hina. When it starts production it won’t be released until after all 28 chapters are released.

Reach for the loving stars, buddy.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah, I'm reminded a bit of Dave Chappelle's bit on Aquaman. While improved animal communications are something I'd like to see, it's not like we're going to learn something profound or uplift our pets to our equals. I doubt dogs or cats have abstract reasoning. The research in two-way communication is probably more helpful since it'll keep a lot of pets from being mistreated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I'm reminded a bit of Dave Chappelle's bit on Aquaman. While improved animal communications are something I'd like to see, it's not like we're going to learn something profound or uplift our pets to our equals. I doubt dogs or cats have abstract reasoning. The research in two-way communication is probably more helpful since it'll keep a lot of pets from being mistreated.

Dogs are pretty drat smart (cats too), some guy managed to actually teach his dog some basic English. No, the dog couldn't talk back, but it understood him perfectly. He taught him a vocabulary of several hundred words, and when people said he was just memorizing sounds and nouns, he went and taught the dog some verbs, and you could actually do noun-verb sentences and the dog would interpret them correctly. That's pretty drat smart.

That said, we're still talking about like "Touch the ball", "fetch the stick", "drop the frisbee", stuff like that, which isn't too hard to imagine a normal dog doing.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
We can't even define intelligence, much less figure out a way to reliably measure it within our own species.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Dogs are pretty drat smart (cats too), some guy managed to actually teach his dog some basic English. No, the dog couldn't talk back, but it understood him perfectly. He taught him a vocabulary of several hundred words, and when people said he was just memorizing sounds and nouns, he went and taught the dog some verbs, and you could actually do noun-verb sentences and the dog would interpret them correctly. That's pretty drat smart.

That said, we're still talking about like "Touch the ball", "fetch the stick", "drop the frisbee", stuff like that, which isn't too hard to imagine a normal dog doing.

Are you sure the dog wasn't just keying off of intonations or parts of the word? Could the dog do the same with other speakers? Animals can pick up on a lot of stuff, but at the same time, it may not actually be language that they're picking up. On the other hand, we have confirmed that some animals do have a sort of language. Those animals being prairie dogs and there's a guy who's figured out part of their language.

Birds are also said to have a language, but it's likely to be much more difficult to decode due to its complexity.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

well that's a hell of a way to say I'm taking your money and not giving you anything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ShutteredIn posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

well that's a hell of a way to say I'm taking your money and not giving you anything.

I am not reading this mess. Why is he burning books?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

that reads like the last will and testament of a mass murderer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xelkelvos posted:

Are you sure the dog wasn't just keying off of intonations or parts of the word? Could the dog do the same with other speakers? Animals can pick up on a lot of stuff, but at the same time, it may not actually be language that they're picking up. On the other hand, we have confirmed that some animals do have a sort of language. Those animals being prairie dogs and there's a guy who's figured out part of their language.

Birds are also said to have a language, but it's likely to be much more difficult to decode due to its complexity.

You're right that in most cases that is what happens. There was a horse that could "do math", but he'd just sense the owner tensing up when they reached the proper number and that's when he'd respond.

But I think they tested the dog a bit. I dunno, it was awhile ago.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

ShutteredIn posted:

This is the most amazing meltdown in Kickstarter's history. Holy poo poo. He's literally burning the rewards in a huge pile. :stare:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

You're right that in most cases that is what happens. There was a horse that could "do math", but he'd just sense the owner tensing up when they reached the proper number and that's when he'd respond.

But I think they tested the dog a bit. I dunno, it was awhile ago.

Not just his owner, Clever Hans could sense the right time to stop from other people as well. He was a smart horse. He just couldn't do math.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

semiavrage posted:

...they made 20k...

I love their "Prototype Version 3.0."

It is literally two cheap mic headsets (with an extra pair of microphone arms glued on) stuck together with what appear to be one of those passive horn iPhone docks and some other piece of whatever with a red LED stuck through one of its holes. Brilliant.

Xelkelvos posted:

On the other hand, we have confirmed that some animals do have a sort of language. Those animals being prairie dogs and there's a guy who's figured out part of their language.

:eng101: A lot of marine behavioral ecologists are pretty confident that orca have the capacity for auditory/physical language in a manner eerily similar to humans and there's work being done at Cornell right now that seems to be finding possible similarities with elephants too (turns out that they make a ton of vocalizations that are just below the human range of hearing that we literally never knew about until maybe a decade ago). There's also been a lot of famous work done with African grey parrots, but I don't know what sorts of recent developments or consensus have come out of it. The idea that you could turn a dog's barks into anything more than a collection of maybe 10 general "feelings" is pretty hilarious though, and even then anybody who's spent more than 10 minutes around dogs could probably figure them out without some stupid device.

"Hmmm...my dog sounds scared/aggressive/hungry/hurt/like it's playing. Better go get the EEG to make sure..."

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Feb 27, 2014

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

The comments are kind of amazing, as well. I'm particularly fond of these two (from the same person)

quote:

i will haunt you until i get my book, man. even after i'm dead and possibly even after you're dead. i will be a ghost and you will be a ghost and i will haunt you as a ghosts ghost.
Followed by:

quote:

if you burn a book it might turn into a ghost book and then when i die and is a ghost i can ghost read the ghost book.

:ghost:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ghost ride the book :whatup:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Paladinus posted:

I am not reading this mess. Why is he burning books?

Could be a troll. If you take it at face value: he's an art-eeeeeest, and trying to make a statement about his view of the world.

The statement, in this case, is:

* I have stopped taking my medication, and have gone completely batshit insane crazy. :ohdear:
* My solution to my emotional imbalance, as I see it, is to find an artist commune and live an ascetic lifestyle. :haw:
* I'm going spend the leftovers of the KS funds on funding that lifestyle.
* I am canceling the remaining production runs of the Kickstarter product (a comic book).
* For every angry email I get, I'm going to burn an asset of mine, to show how serious I am. (Specifically, I have a big stack of comic books that I produced but haven't mailed out yet; I'm gonna burn those.)
* You're all consumerist sheeple who don't see how money is the source of all evil, gently caress you all, I'm out

It's equal parts retarded and hilarious.

He took down his website as well, and has a bunch of equally nutty posts on his tumblar, so if it's a troll, he's going pretty far with it, and I approve.
If it's not a troll, I also approve, because holy poo poo that's hilarious. And at the same time, it probably means he needs professional help badly before he does something life-ending.

ullerrm has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Feb 28, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The or they're not really the books and it's another stunt again.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
When you have gone to the effort to write almost 4,500 words of complete word salad nonsense the line between "troll" and "mentally unbalanced" no longer exists.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
On one hand, it is always sad and worrying to see someone have the mother of all nervous breakdowns; on the other, this is why Kickstarter should have stricter regulations: Campbell is loving his customers and blaming them for it.

e. Now that I know more about Campbell long history with mental illness, I apologize for making such a stupid argument.

DoctorPresident has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Feb 28, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DoctorPresident posted:

On one hand, it is always sad and worrying to see someone have the mother of all nervous breakdowns; on the other, this is why Kickstarter should have stricter regulations: Campbell is loving his customers and blaming them for it.

3/4 of the people who ordered the books got them. That's actually substantially more than a lot of Kickstarters end up turning out. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Install Windows posted:

The or they're not really the books and it's another stunt again.

Yeah, didn't he do some weird kickstarter stunt before?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

DoctorPresident posted:

According to one of the earlier updates, they quit a regimen of max-safe-dose Celexa + Wellbutrin, cold turkey. If so, yeah, they're screwed mentally.

The customers have a right to be angry, but it's also hard to hold someone responsible for financial issues when they're pretty much certifiable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Wisdom of Wall Street: An Empty Book.

Yes, this biting social commentary is worth nearly five thousand US dollars.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Honestly the best part of that is his previously published books

quote:

I've written, designed and published real books (ones with text..!) before, and will be working with the same printer in the UK that published both of my earlier titles (Orchid Essence Healing, and also A Compendium of Flower Essences), so the printing on this side of the Atlantic will be pretty straight-forward. I will be working with a new printer if we also go ahead and do a print run in the USA, in order to save on the high airmail postage costs from the UK to there. But they come well recommended, and are set up for smallish runs of books, so this suits us well.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
E: oops someone already posted about that.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

James Polk posted:

This is the most amazing meltdown in Kickstarter's history. Holy poo poo. He's literally burning the rewards in a huge pile. :stare:

Wow, someone close to him should probably look at getting him involuntarily committed before he hurts himself or others.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/296234269/building-gravitator-electrokinetic-apparatus?ref=discovery

Here's an antigravity device that someone claimed to have invented in the 1930s.
I'm going to recreate it and make it scalable.
Here is my drawing of the device, in loving crayon, on construction paper.

The irony is, this device actually does work; it operates on the Biefield-Brown effect, and it basically jumpstarted the modern study of electrohydrodynamics. We use EHD devices today to maneuver satellites in space, and it's pretty common to build little tiny floating platforms called hexalifters for science fairs.

It has a really terrible power density, though, and nasty safety issues. I predict that he's going to build an absolutely massive ionolifter and end up killing himself by becoming a ground for a corona wire.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ullerrm posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/296234269/building-gravitator-electrokinetic-apparatus?ref=discovery

Here's an antigravity device that someone claimed to have invented in the 1930s.

The irony is, this device actually does work; it operates on the Biefield-Brown effect, and it basically jumpstarted the modern study of electrohydrodynamics. We use EHD devices today to maneuver satellites in space, and it's pretty common to build little tiny floating platforms called hexalifters for science fairs.

It has a really terrible power density, though, and nasty safety issues. I predict that he's going to build an absolutely massive ionolifter and end up killing himself by becoming a ground for a corona wire.

I want to also point out that he uses the word "electrogravitics" which was made up by pseudoscientists who think that the Biefeld–Brown effect is actually altering gravity somehow.

No, it has nothing to do with affecting gravity somehow. It's "anti-gravity" in the same way a rocket is, by using Newton's third law to push against it. The difference is that with an ion lifter or whatever motion of the working mass isn't as obvious as with a rocket.

The sad thing is is that people actually did experiments to show that ion lifters don't work in a vacuum in an attempt to shut these people up but in typical conspiracy theorist fashion their excuse is that it was faked because "they" don't want you to know about UFO technology

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ullerrm posted:

Didn't the Soviets try to build some kind of vehicle with that technology, and find out that it simply can't scale up to human size with modern technology?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
That sad pictures for children meltdown gets even better when you read the 2nd update he made to his project page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/311890

quote:

I'VE BEEN PRETENDING TO BE DEPRESSED FOR PROFIT AND I'M SORRY
It seemed hard at first to fake depression, due to the amount of energy involved. I could not do it for long. By the time I got comfortable with it I found it necessary to allow this deception to extend into my private life. I believed one or more stories of myself as "pretending to be depressed" could have distanced me from my chosen demographic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Frozen-Solid posted:

That sad pictures for children meltdown gets even better when you read the 2nd update he made to his project page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/311890

It's supposed to be a sarcastic retort to some people who suspected him of faking it.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Waffleman_ posted:

The Wisdom of Wall Street: An Empty Book.

Yes, this biting social commentary is worth nearly five thousand US dollars.

And it already exists, but with a different joke http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Men-Know-About-Women/dp/1460993780

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BattleMaster posted:

Fetishists are such a gold mine god drat.

See. That's why cat tree/spanking bench guy isn't getting any bankers. His kickstarter is too general. He should have set up a kickstarter for the cat tree and a separate one for the spanking bench.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

BattleMaster posted:

I want to also point out that he uses the word "electrogravitics" which was made up by pseudoscientists who think that the Biefeld–Brown effect is actually altering gravity somehow.

No, it has nothing to do with affecting gravity somehow. It's "anti-gravity" in the same way a rocket is, by using Newton's third law to push against it. The difference is that with an ion lifter or whatever motion of the working mass isn't as obvious as with a rocket.

The sad thing is is that people actually did experiments to show that ion lifters don't work in a vacuum in an attempt to shut these people up but in typical conspiracy theorist fashion their excuse is that it was faked because "they" don't want you to know about UFO technology

I love when these lifters things show up. Back in university I worked in a lab that published some papers on modelling the thrust produced by ion lifters (the actual mechanism is called electrohydrodynamic flow), and surprise, the downward force generated by the EHD is enough to lift the device!

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2117525416/supertoy-worlds-first-natural-talking-teddy-bear

:stare: This is the fakest poo poo I've ever seen.

First of all, my area of study in college was Artificial Intelligence, so I can tell you there's no way this is loving possible right now. Even IBM's Watson (A supercomputer with internet access which takes up an entire floor of a major building) can't respond NEARLY that well. We haven't solved natural language processing yet, and yet this loving teddy bear claims that it can provide detailed, syntactic, and situational conversation using nothing more than an iPhone?

:siren: SCAM ALERT. :siren:
Then since my Spidey senses were tingling I looked more closely at the video. OH HEY look, there's an edit cut after EVERY question:
She asks a question when you can hear an airplane going by. He answers clearly, no airplane.
She asks a question, her sleeves are rolled down (see the blue?) He answers, her sleeves are magically rolled up over her shoulders. HMM. :colbert:

And its not like they just forgot to mention it wasn't done yet and this was a mockup, she explicitly asks "Can you see me?" and he responds "Not right now" which implies everything else happening right now is real, but it absolutely is not. :bang:
These guys know what they're doing. They got a little girl to do the pitch video to try to obfuscate it; hoping people would be too busy going "awww" to notice how BS this is. :argh:

:laffo: So this AI is smart enough to hold a conversation and can dictate the internet to you, while filtering out inappropriate content for children? And it can tell the difference between kids and adults, and can not only fool kids, but can pass the loving Turing Test with adults? No way in hell.

This is a loving Furby. And its masquerading as C3PO.

Four score and twenty pages ago, it was called. Supertoy is now dead! The founder has made a run to some well established toy company, made the toy much simpler ( AFAIK it just reads Wikipedia and uses Siri or something worse, along with a probably very simple blanket ban on anything that uses "adult words") and given the backers a great choice : botched alpha version of the promised toy or beta version of the lesser new toy (or refund)...

Oh, there is also some drama about the team breaking up and the fact that not only were the backers not kept in the loop, but the "creator" purposely mislead them into thinking that the project was going fine -photos of the production runs, shipping dates...- and only coming forwards with the truth of selling the idea to a toy company once backers had noticed this slightly too similar competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Feb 13 2014
The Long and Winding Road
29 comments
22 likes

Hi Everyone,

I am so very pleased to tell you on the 19th this month February ALL your Supertoys will have been manufactured at the factory.

Feb 24 2014
WikiBear
217 comments
13 likes

I will honour ALL my obligations even though Supertoy is sadly no more.