Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crafty posted:

If only people had a choice, if only there was a console that didn't have a camera, IF ONLY!!

I think people are well aware of the alternative choices to the Xbox One, and that's sort of the issue with The One's Kinect integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is pinning like advanced picture in picture?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

euphronius posted:

Is pinning like advanced picture in picture?

No. Pinning lets you make a shortcut on the screen just to the left of the homescreen.

Also, for those of you who are freaking out about the camera, just put a piece of electrical tape over it? Now no one can see you and you can still use the Kinect for voice commands.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's expensive, and will obviously block auto-sign-in, but I was thinking I might get this (actually) so I could mount the kinect to the top of my TV.

It has a cover that blocks the cameras.

My apologies if this has been posted before:

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/PDP...CFREaOgodYyEAdg

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The fact that to fix a problem with Kinect you have to block out/disconnect it's defining feature is pretty depressing.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The camera is a mouse with a ton of input lag and only one button. The microphone could just as well be fastened onto a headset, the processing for that is all done in the main box. What you're left with is a bunch of features that could be bound to one or two buttons on the centre area, or just inside the shoulders.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Dan Didio posted:

The fact that to fix a problem with Kinect you have to block out/disconnect it's defining feature is pretty depressing.

What problem? I'm living on the edge. I have 8 internet connected cameras in my house and none of them are covered up.

:wave: hi spys

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I still think they designed that UI primarily for voice control. Controller support seems to just be thrown in at the last minute based on how badly it's been implemented. Remind me the steps for recording gameplay using just the controller.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crafty posted:

What problem? I'm living on the edge. I have 8 internet connected cameras in my house and none of them are covered up.

Okay? I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here. I'm not sure you know what point you're trying to make.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

YourAverageJoe posted:

The camera is a mouse with a ton of input lag and only one button. The microphone could just as well be fastened onto a headset, the processing for that is all done in the main box. What you're left with is a bunch of features that could be bound to one or two buttons on the centre area, or just inside the shoulders.

Why do you think people
use Kinect and the controller at the same time?

Kinect is for relaxing on my couch and watching programming or popping across an OS fast while playing a game. I guess the 2nd could be used on the controller, but not faster than just saying what I want.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Then it would basically be a ps4. The ps4 can do voice commands as well. I mean if you asked people what the defining feature of the kinect was, I don't think people would say the microphone instead of the camera.

My point is why even have a kinect without a camera.

Legit question: Can the PS4 do this without the headphone attached? Or while off? I'm not sure how extensive the features are but people generally present it like I need to be strapped to a controller or the mic to use it. The value for me is largely that I can be disengaged from those pieces and just use the thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

Legit question: Can the PS4 do this without the headphone attached?

You need to have a mic, there's no receiver in the PS4 itself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Why do you think people

Kinect is for relaxing on my couch and watching programming or popping across an OS fast while playing a game. I guess the 2nd could be used on the controller, but not faster than just saying what I want.

Legit question: Can the PS4 do this without the headphone attached? Or while off? I'm not sure how extensive the features are but people generally present it like I need to be strapped to a controller or the mic to use it. The value for me is largely that I can be disengaged from those pieces and just use the thing.

Either plug a headset in, or use the PS4 camera. Latter is pointless because why would you want a camera on your PS4.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

^^^^^Oddly enough, The Playroom is a pretty nice reason to have a camera.

MJBuddy posted:

Why do you think people

Kinect is for relaxing on my couch and watching programming

My problem with this is that things I watch on my couch usually have dialogue and I don't like talking/shouting over that.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Crafty posted:

I don't even know anymore when you're parodying yourself.

Stux posted:

Either plug a headset in, or use the PS4 camera. Latter is pointless because why would you want a camera on your PS4.
Sometimes you want to both own a Sony console and the features of other consoles, and that why the Move was made.

MJBuddy posted:

Until they can read our minds, nothing will be faster than just pressing some buttons, mostly because of reliability.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Dan Didio posted:

Okay? I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here. I'm not sure you know what point you're trying to make.

You said you need to block Kinect to fix a problem. I am not sure what the problem you're referring to is?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I still think they designed that UI primarily for voice control. Controller support seems to just be thrown in at the last minute based on how badly it's been implemented. Remind me the steps for recording gameplay using just the controller.

You can definitely tell the recording is heavily reliant on voice. As is all the snapping. I don't think there could be a quick way to do it with a controller because there's about 8+ apps you can potentially snap so you wouldn't be able to bind them each to s button.

You would have to press home button, click snap, scroll to app you want snapped and click.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

You'd be surprised at what the Playsation 4 can do with voice control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ32AZhYBZA

Its pretty similar.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dan Didio posted:

Not nearly as depressing as the "criticisms" that keep coming up in every single XBox One thread. It's a good thing there's other platforms to play video games on. A lot of people don't mind the Kinect, don't mind the "terrible" UI, or any other small element of a system that the same people are bitching about over and over and over again. :regd08:

Jesus Christ, people. Is the XBox One perfect? No. Is ANY gaming platform perfect? No. The whole "Kinect is spying on you" tinfoil hat watchdog conspiracy isn't worth worrying about since webcams on other devices, smartphones, and social media sites are far more likely to be more viable sources for various agencies or whomever to get your private data from. Don't want the Kinect? Don't buy the console. It's had the occassional quirk for me where it doesn't hear a command if someone else is talking in the room and is closer to the Kinect than me, but I've had a 100% success rate with the "XBox On" command. But hey, if the Kinect doesn't work 100% of the time all the time, it's a pile of poo poo, right? Funny that just about all other electronic devices can have a qwirk once in a while, but the Kinect gets dogpiled on at the slightest thing it does wrong, and I'm sick and tired of reading it.

The OMG NO 1080P MY PIXELS :qq: discussion is stupid for two reasons: The XBox One isn't marketed as a dedicated gaming console and more as a AIO entertainment device for the living room, and if people wanted graphics so mind-blowing, there are, again, other platforms to consider. While spergs are on PS4s, PCs, or whatever staring at polygons and pixels of a tree up close, I'll be running around buildings at light speed turning other players into swiss cheese and making giant robots explode in TitanFall in a couple weeks. It still looks great for what it is, but you would swear some people think it looks like a stuttering version of Atari's Adventure.

Complaints are warranted, but it's just grasping at straws in my eyes at this point.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

qnqnx posted:

Until they can read our minds, nothing will be faster than just pressing some buttons, mostly because of reliability.

You're wrong there. I can move from apps to games with snapping and recording much quicker with my voice than with a controller.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You'd be surprised at what the Playsation 4 can do with voice control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ32AZhYBZA

Its pretty similar.

Half of the time I am using voice commands are situations where I haven't got my controller turned on, so I'd need to buy the PS camera rather than just using the headset. Then we'd just be back on the same situation anyway, with a slightly more limited cheaper camera.

For pausing/fast forward/rewind/volume and changing inputs it's a huge benefit not to have to turn your controller on and off again. I also like turning The One on with voice. If I'm just going to watch TV or Netflix I might not turn the controller on for hours.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Not nearly as depressing as the "criticisms" that keep coming up in every single XBox One thread. It's a good thing there's other platforms to play video games on. A lot of people don't mind the Kinect, don't mind the "terrible" UI, or any other small element of a system that the same people are bitching about over and over and over again. :regd08:

Jesus Christ, people. Is the XBox One perfect? No. Is ANY gaming platform perfect? No. The whole "Kinect is spying on you" tinfoil hat watchdog conspiracy isn't worth worrying about since webcams on other devices, smartphones, and social media sites are far more likely to be more viable sources for various agencies or whomever to get your private data from. Don't want the Kinect? Don't buy the console. It's had the occassional quirk for me where it doesn't hear a command if someone else is talking in the room and is closer to the Kinect than me, but I've had a 100% success rate with the "XBox On" command. But hey, if the Kinect doesn't work 100% of the time all the time, it's a pile of poo poo, right? Funny that just about all other electronic devices can have a qwirk once in a while, but the Kinect gets dogpiled on at the slightest thing it does wrong, and I'm sick and tired of reading it.

The OMG NO 1080P MY PIXELS :qq: discussion is stupid for two reasons: The XBox One isn't marketed as a dedicated gaming console and more as a AIO entertainment device for the living room, and if people wanted graphics so mind-blowing, there are, again, other platforms to consider. While spergs are on PS4s, PCs, or whatever staring at polygons and pixels of a tree up close, I'll be running around buildings at light speed turning other players into swiss cheese and making giant robots explode in TitanFall in a couple weeks. It still looks great for what it is, but you would swear some people think it looks like a stuttering version of Atari's Adventure.

Complaints are warranted, but it's just grasping at straws in my eyes at this point.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I guess? I didn't even mention half of that stuff. People are going to criticize what is, essentially, a console that's already made a series of very public stumbles and blunders and has clearly failed in some regards. I really don't see why it should bother you so much. But it's probably going to keep happening. The Xbox One's shortcomings are as valid a topic of discussion as any other, unless I'm mistaken, and I would argue that it's a more interesting one as well.

Crafty posted:

You said you need to block Kinect to fix a problem. I am not sure what the problem you're referring to is?

Well, given that I was responding to posts from people who were suggesting it as a fix to prevent the possibility of Microsoft spying on people or disseminating their private information and data in ways they'd be uncomfortable with, and you references spies in your post, I'm not sure that's true at all, Crafty!

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 28, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

While spergs are on PS4s, PCs, or whatever staring at polygons and pixels of a tree up close, I'll be running around buildings at light speed turning other players into swiss cheese and making giant robots explode in TitanFall in a couple weeks.

You probably shouldn't be 1) mocking mental illnesses and 2) ignoring that Titanfall is coming out on the PC in order to defend your purchase.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Crafty posted:

You can definitely tell the recording is heavily reliant on voice. As is all the snapping. I don't think there could be a quick way to do it with a controller because there's about 8+ apps you can potentially snap so you wouldn't be able to bind them each to s button.

You would have to press home button, click snap, scroll to app you want snapped and click.

I don't really think there is a non clumsy way of doing it on the controller unless you have a dedicated "record that" button. Then you'd also need a screenshot button and a slider for the amount of time. I really like just being able to use voice to record stuff and go straight back to my game without missing a beat.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 28, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fallom posted:

You probably shouldn't be 1) mocking mental illnesses and 2) ignoring that Titanfall is coming out on the PC in order to defend your purchase.

I'm not doing either one, but thanks. I'd focus more on not shitposting if I were you.

Edit:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

When you find crazy posts like this you're meant to post them in this thread and source them otherwise people think you're also crazy.

So calling trolls on their bullshit is crazy?

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

Other posters have highlighted a bunch of reasons but you don't need to buy a separate adapter. PS4 controller has built-in support for headphones + mic.

Charles Martel posted:

When you find crazy posts like this you're meant to post them in this thread and source them otherwise people think you're also crazy.

hanyolo posted:

I don't really think there is a non clumsy way of doing it on the controller unless you have a dedicated "record that" button. Then you'd also need a screenshot button and a slider for. I really like just being able to use voice to record stuff and go straight back to my game without missing a beat.
You can tap for screenshot and hold to start recording [inc. previous recording buffer]? A button input can be used with modifiers for complex interactions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

I'm not doing either one, but thanks.

The sentence I quoted where you say that only spergs are going to pay attention to graphical differences on the PS4 and PC while you're the one who's going to be jumping around in Titanfall on the Xbone says otherwise.

Charles Martel posted:

I'm not doing either one, but thanks. I'd focus more on not shitposting if I were you.

Nice edit I guess? That was unnecessary.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You can tap for screenshot and hold to start recording [inc. previous recording buffer]? A button input can be used with modifiers for complex interactions.

Still annoying to do if I'm in the middle of a race or a MP game and I have to take one of my hands off the sticks to hold down a button. Options are always nice though, especially if you have the Kinect unplugged.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Or you can just say 'Xbox record that' like a true champ.

Dan Didio posted:

Well, given that I was responding to posts from people who were suggesting it as a fix to prevent the possibility of Microsoft spying on people or disseminating their private information and data in ways they'd be uncomfortable with, and you references spies in your post, I'm not sure that's true at all, Crafty!

Oh that confirmed problem. It's not Microsoft that were spying though, the article didn't say that now did it.

As far as a problem, well I only consider being spied on through my Kinect as much of a problem as being spied on through my phones laptops and tablets, or through my window. Which is to say I hope it doesn't happen but I'm not going to stop using any of them.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I'm getting the update right now. It was 450MB and took about 8 minutes all told.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crafty posted:

Oh that confirmed problem. It's not Microsoft that were spying though, the article didn't say that now did it.

I didn't say it did.

Crafty posted:

As far as a problem, well I only consider being spied on through my Kinect as much of a problem as being spied on through my phones laptops and tablets, or through my window. Which is to say I hope it doesn't happen but I'm not going to stop using any of them.

Cool. I think a phone and a laptop are arguably more essential than a video-game console, but that's fine. The problem, though, isn't that people who already have an Xbox One are comfortable with it, it's the perception that gives people who might be thinking about buying an Xbox One, and are considering alternatives. I mean, that's really what started this tangent, was that people were pointing out that if people weren't comfortable with that perception, they should get a PS4, etc. which to an extent, seems to have happened.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mainly my problem with voice commands and motion controls is that are both finicky gimmicks that only seem to work for few lucky people, while for anyone else they're a hindrance. That and generally being poorly implemented, with few actually needed commands, or supported languages or hell, accents.

hanyolo posted:

Still annoying to do if I'm in the middle of a race or a MP game and I have to take one of my hands off the sticks to hold down a button. Options are always nice though, especially if you have the Kinect unplugged.
Do your fingers move in slow motion all the time?
I think I may have found the voice command focus group: butterfingers people.

Crafty posted:

Or you can just say 'Xbox record that' like a true champ.

Mind if I replace all your house's walls with glass walls?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dan Didio posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way, I guess? I didn't even mention half of that stuff. People are going to criticize what is, essentially, a console that's already made a series of very public stumbles and blunders and has clearly failed in some regards. I really don't see why it should bother you so much. But it's probably going to keep happening. The Xbox One's shortcomings are as valid a topic of discussion as any other, unless I'm mistaken, and I would argue that it's a more interesting one as well.

No, you didn't, but the comment I quoted from you is the type of stuff I made my post about. I said "people", not "Dan Didio" for that reason.

All I'm saying is, if people are going to critize it, then post something worth criticizing. I'm just tired of reading the same strawman arguments over and over again in what should be a more neutral discussion about the system. The "shortcomings" that keep coming up have been done to death. The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They continue to be on-going issues. You're not going to see people 'move on' until that stops being the case. This is very much how criticizing a product works.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

Are all of these strawmen? Are none of these worth criticizing?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

All I'm saying is, if people are going to critize it, then post something worth criticizing. I'm just tired of reading the same strawman arguments over and over again in what should be a more neutral discussion about the system. The "shortcomings" that keep coming up have been done to death. The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

Yeah all the criticisms that I keep on seeing have pretty much all been or are going to be fixed. Everyone knows that it performs worse at multiplats but if those is the only things you are going to play then I don't know what to say... It's funny seeing people in the hate thread complaining that they can't post negative stuff here to stop people from buying an XB1. It's almost like they work for Sony :v:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Other posters have highlighted a bunch of reasons but you don't need to buy a separate adapter. PS4 controller has built-in support for headphones + mic.

Those features are nice. Not faulting them. But especially for me, they fall short of what I want, which is a hand free experience. It's not putting on the headset and hitting power and turning on and off controllers. When I'm using a controller I'm probably only using voice chat to switch which app is open or recording gameplay. Voice chat is mostly turning on the system while I'm doing something else, relaxing back on my couch with ny controllers put away or while cooking or cleaning I can switch shows and such without stopping. And yeah currently voice is superior to controller but I think Crafty and co are ignoring that they could make big advancements on what the controller can do if they wanted to go that route. They dont, because everyone has a Kinect so they think any second roads are redundant ones, but that's less user friendly than offering both methods in a best as possible way. I think it works very well for me, but clearly theres people who are even contemplating buying this and turning off the Kinect, so why shut yourself off from those users? Rhetorical question. Maybe I saved a page of snark.

I don't think a controller will always be faster because as the OS gets more complex we can use voice to jump directly through it. It's a replacement for a link, not a mouse. I don't think it's faster than something as extensive as keyboard shortcuts but I also would much rather avoid something that extensive. If I had to enter the konami code to record video I don't think I'd prefer it, so to a certain degree I just think it should be a record button on the home screen. Two clicks. Not as good as voice (which is dominant at multi tasking) but a legit option.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Dan Didio posted:

I didn't say it did.

Well you said the magic words Microsoft spying on people, which we are still awaiting final confirmation on :D

[quote="Dan Didio" post=" "426314514""]
[/quote]

qnqnx posted:

Mind if I replace all your house's walls with glass walls?

No thanks, but there's no part of my house the Kinect can see that you can't view from the apartments opposite. I already have one glass wall. I guess I am in the minority there.

The motion controls (hand waving and pushing)for the dashboard and in apps from what I've seen are completely poo poo, absolutely useless. The voice commands are better than I expected.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

So is it only positive repetition is allowed or something? If not then why do people keep posting about updates or enjoying their purchase. We get it you like your console move on?

Seems like that would render any conversation about, well, everything over in a few pages.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 28, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crafty posted:

Well you said the magic words Microsoft spying on people, which we are still awaiting final confirmation on :D

Okay, so, you're being wilfully obtuse? Like I already explained, I was responding to people suggesting it as a preventative fix for Microsoft spying on people. I wasn't the one who brought it up, or posted the article. I think you might be losing it Crafty.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I didn't say it did.

Cool. I think a phone and a laptop are arguably more essential than a video-game console, but that's fine. The problem, though, isn't that people who already have an Xbox One are comfortable with it, it's the perception that gives people who might be thinking about buying an Xbox One, and are considering alternatives. I mean, that's really what started this tangent, was that people were pointing out that if people weren't comfortable with that perception, they should get a PS4, etc. which to an extent, seems to have happened.

I mean to be fair if theyre bothered by that perception they should also chuck those phones and poo poo in a fire. The probability of your phone not recording you given the Xbox is is likely close to zero.

I assume everything is, but that's mostly because my spirit has been broken over the last year when suddenly it seemed like every insane conspiracy theorist turned out to be right. I find myself repeating NYT or Guardian articles and just sounding like an insane man talking about black helicopters.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

Uh...I...can you....are you real?

He was commenting on other peoples suggestions to other people posting measures to prevent Microsoft from spying if Microsoft ever chooses to, not that Microsoft was spying. Did you just see those two words in his post or did you read it?

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

I mean to be fair if theyre bothered by that perception they should also chuck those phones and poo poo in a fire. The probability of your phone not recording you given the Xbox is is likely close to zero.

Well, I don't you should be spied on through your phone, either, I'd rather like it if the potential wasn't in any of these devices, but that's just personal preference for what I use, but I do think when it comes down to 'phone' or 'video game console', there's the obvious issue that for a lot of people a phone is more essential, and the issue with phones is that no matter what phone you're using you'll likely be spied on, whereas Microsoft has two competitors (one, arguably) who don't have all this controversy surrounding them about these issues at the moment.

It's as much a problem of branding, philosophy and recognition as it is anything else, so I don't think these 'just put tape over it' practicality fixes are very good attempts at addressing the issue.

• Locked thread