Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Caged posted:

Holy poo poo if you need to test the experience that your mobile workers are receiving then just get an ADSL line installed.

We usually just tether our phones or use a MiFi when we need a rough idea of what our customers experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

"This has been my problem for <1 hours."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's not even a new thing, so I shouldn't be this pissed off, but there's been a rash of them lately and I'm in a bad mood.

So this "totally locks up your system" for 10-20 minutes a few times a day, but you "haven't had time" to contact us about it until now? Well let's find out what recently changed on your system... 3 weeks ago.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

GreenNight posted:

Yeah just buy $200+ screens instead of $5 Monoprice adapters. 75% of the people here are still on VGA.

I'd go with cables over the adapters. We've had a couple of the Monoprice adapters break. The cables have been holding up fine so far.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also a cable is one less join and I'm a bit of a sperg about stuff like that for no real reason. I don't like seeing adapters hanging off the ends of things because far too often people assume that it's there for them to steal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Collateral Damage posted:

This is like the people who complain that their browser is slow and takes a lot of memory and you see that they have a hundred tabs open. Just close tabs when you're done with them. "But I might need it later." So bookmark it, that's what bookmarks are there for. :argh:

I had to transfer two dozen open tabs and the browser history between a pair of laptops the other day. Thankfully they used Chrome, so the tabs were actually remarkably simple thanks to an extension, but seriously.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I splurged and ordered the $7 cables instead of the $5 adapters.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
An email came in...

quote:

On Thursday, an application resource elevated himself to root privileges on --------, and then promptly executed an rm –fr /* on this development host.

His intentions were to clean up a file system, unfortunately, the /* means root drive + wildcard and he added the –fr options (force and recursive)

The host is unbootable except for failsafe which is a non-usable state. We have recorded all the pertinent network and config info that hasn’t been removed / damaged in anticipation the host will need to be rebuilt.

Current status:
- A new OS was laid down and patched on Monday/Tuesday
I always thought this happening was a myth.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Roseo posted:

Seriously.

The only way I could see this happening is if it were muscle memory kicking in for a command you run alot and unthinkingly type it in.

But then how often do you run rm –fr /* anyway?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Roseo posted:

An email came in...

How hilariously critical is ---------?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Roseo posted:

An email came in...

Not remotely, although it's generally executed by sysadmins who realize that their "rm -rf ./*" is taking a little long, see the space between the period and slash, and frantically pound Control-C in the hopes that /bin still exists.

e: it's also worth noting that these tend to spawn the most interesting hack stories too, as you try to figure out how to bring your system back into a working state when you're in a running shell but missing cat, ls, bash, rm, and basically everything but netcat.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 28, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

The only way I could see this happening is if it were muscle memory kicking in for a command you run alot and unthinkingly type it in.

But then how often do you run rm –fr /* anyway?

He probably forgot the '.' Which is why when you even think about attempting to rm -fr something you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the full goddamn path.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Paladine_PSoT posted:

How hilariously critical is ---------?

Devolopment deployment manager server. There's some emails flying around about how this is impacting production as there's some deployments targeted for next weekend.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

odiv posted:

I helped with a ticket today:

"The MySQL backups have been failing since August!"

Turned out that he had put 'no beep' in the [client] section of his my.ini file, which was causing mysqldump to choke.

"NO BEEPS!" (said in the same tone as "No capes!" from The Incredibles) has become an instant catchphrase in the office.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Roseo posted:

An email came in...

It happens sometimes. Especially when

quote:

an application resource elevated himself to root privileges

Giving people who have no business being on a server root access will usually bite you in the rear end eventually. We have a few servers at my place where the devs have somehow wrangled root sudo access for themselves, and it's terrifying. It's also annoying because they do poo poo like reboot their production servers in the middle of the day with no notice and make our monitors freak out, but then I also get weekend calls from them wanting me to create a bunch of directories and change permissions or something else that they could easily do with their sudo access (or even sometimes without it), which I can't ignore or refuse because their project is super-critical.

Back when I was a tier I tech support rep at a web hosting company, one of my fellow reps was trying to remove a customer's directory named "etc" and ran "rm -rf /etc" instead. On a BSDi system, so /etc was where everything that made the system actually function lived. :cripes: Our Unix sysadmin and I ended up staying six hours late trying to fix it, since the server was in California and no one there had or knew how to make a rescue disk. I ended up having to compile sash on another of our BSDi systems (which was a bitch in and of itself), and we had to upload it to the broken server via FTP (one of the few things that still functioned) and overwrite some other executable binary file with it because we couldn't chmod anything. But we finally did get the thing working again eventually.

The rep who broke it learned her lesson and never did anything like that again, but we had another rep there who removed stuff by accident all the time and finally got all the tier I techs except me banned from accessing some of our platforms because he kept breaking 'em. They wouldn't fire him because he was engaged to the owner's friend's niece.

Mustache Ride posted:

He probably forgot the '.' Which is why when you even think about attempting to rm -fr something you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the full goddamn path.

This. rm -rf with wildcards is always, always, always a bad idea. Or really any recursive command with wildcards. If you simply can't avoid it for some reason (and there really is never a reason), at the very least you should take the time to check with an ls using the same pattern to make certain you're only going to touch what you expect to touch.

(Protip: did you know that ".*" will match ".." and run your recursive command on the parent directory of your target and everything underneath it? Learned that one the hard way when I was a terrible newbie; luckily it was only a chown -R and just took an hour or so to clean up... :v: )

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

It's an exit interview. Treat it as such and don't burn bridges.

Companies will schedule this two weeks ahead of time? Or at least tell you they've scheduled it?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

demonachizer posted:

So I guess the lovely management starts at the top. He is setting you up to get screwed over for insubordination or something.

blackswordca posted:

Oh, I know. The first time I try and pull the "No, im not going to do that, its stupid" card, I'll get a monumental smackdown.

:smith: I forgot about that. You poor bastard.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

myron cope posted:

Companies will schedule this two weeks ahead of time? Or at least tell you they've scheduled it?

You're not very familiar with blackswordca's company, are you?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Roseo posted:

An email came in...

and THIS is why gnu tools do things like:
pre:
$ rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

And no, it snot a myth, i've had 2 emergency server rebuilds in 2013 due to this happening on Solaris.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

nitrogen posted:

and THIS is why gnu tools do things like:
pre:
$ rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

And no, it snot a myth, i've had 2 emergency server rebuilds in 2013 due to this happening on Solaris.

ID10T traps like that are cool, but relying on any Unix tool to protect you from doing stupid poo poo is about the worst habit you can develop, because most of the time they won't. You should always assume that whatever command you've typed is exactly what's going to happen and double-check everything before you hit enter.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dennyk posted:

ID10T traps like that are cool, but relying on any Unix tool to protect you from doing stupid poo poo is about the worst habit you can develop, because most of the time they won't. You should always assume that whatever command you've typed is exactly what's going to happen and double-check everything before you hit enter.

In practice, this is like "you should always run SELECT ..." and change it to destructive commands when you get the result set you want. It's nice in theory, but it's extremely easy to make a typo and miss it because you spend your whole day typing in a terminal, which is why many utilities (most of coreutils, yum, etc) prevent you from yourself a bit.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

evol262 posted:

In practice, this is like "you should always run SELECT ..." and change it to destructive commands when you get the result set you want. It's nice in theory, but it's extremely easy to make a typo and miss it because you spend your whole day typing in a terminal, which is why many utilities (most of coreutils, yum, etc) prevent you from yourself a bit.

It's another one of those "You'll gently caress this up exactly once" type of things. I generally don't run SQL commands without a limit either nowadays.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Hey sometimes it takes a while to find le mot juste.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

evol262 posted:

In practice, this is like "you should always run SELECT ..." and change it to destructive commands when you get the result set you want.

Idunno, i've pretty much made it a habit to do "BEGIN; DELETE FROM butts WHERE butt_id > 42; SELECT COUNT(*) FROM butts;" and looking at the result before hitting COMMIT

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
A LED display came in.
Rummaged through a drawer of miscellaneous devices and found this display.

Alternative text asks people to create a ticket to get support, since people here have an awful habit of just walking in demanding to get helped.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Make it say "walk-in support desk", put it above an empty chair, put a housebrick on the chair.

If a housebrick isn't available, an oven glove with a face drawn on it will work too.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Why is there hate for dvi now? Vga needs to die, but whats wrong with dvi? Hell DP, HDMI and DVI all work very well and the biggest point when working with them is the sort of plug you want.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Why is there hate for dvi now? Vga needs to die, but whats wrong with dvi? Hell DP, HDMI and DVI all work very well and the biggest point when working with them is the sort of plug you want.

Personally I hate DisplayPort. As far as I can tell it doesn't add anything useful (aside from stricter DRM) and is just another competing standard to come along and gently caress things up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My hate for DVI is mostly due to hating everything with a D-sub connector. Latching connectors are so much easier to work with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My hate for DVI is mostly due to hating everything with a D-sub connector. Latching connectors are so much easier to work with.

That makes sense but holy poo poo gently caress DP forever. Now there is mini-displayport and we have all sorts of cables and connections for everything. It was much easier with only VGA and DVI.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Lum posted:

Personally I hate DisplayPort. As far as I can tell it doesn't add anything useful (aside from stricter DRM) and is just another competing standard to come along and gently caress things up.

I'm not a fan of DP either, but since it's easy to get adapters for it I don't mind it, and it still supports way higher resolutions.
Also, DVI connectors seem to be better quality than VGA, at least they get stuck far less, and the screws seem to break/deform far less.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Roseo posted:

An email came in...

We had something similar happen, with chmod 711 though. It required reimagining regardless.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

GreenNight posted:

That makes sense but holy poo poo gently caress DP forever. Now there is mini-displayport and we have all sorts of cables and connections for everything. It was much easier with only VGA and DVI.

We bought a new laptop and projector for the sales team. The laptop has micro-HDMI out, the projector has mini-HDMI in...

Yeah, we had to buy an adapter to full HDMI and back :( and when that's connected you can't use the charger...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Just get screens with displayport. The sooner DVI dies out the better.

God no. I hate the fact turning off a DisplayPort monitor in Windows disconnects it and shifts everything about.

I'm perfectly happy with DVI. What's wrong with DVI?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SEKCobra posted:

This is exactly why DVI is such a pain in the dick. Oh, it has a DVI port. Is it DVI-I or DVI-D (or god help you, DVI-A)? Is it single- or dual-link? (Trick question, nothing is ever dual link.) Oh, wait, it could also be DMS-59! gently caress yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu. Can we just stick with HDMI?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

God no. I hate the fact turning off a DisplayPort monitor in Windows disconnects it and shifts everything about.

I'm perfectly happy with DVI. What's wrong with DVI?
That's more a problem with Windows than DP though.

I've never had an issue with DP apart from finding out the DP cable I bought wasn't actually DP certified and would prevent my computer from booting. Pin 20 in the DP connector provides utility 3.3v and should not be connected in a regular male-to-male cable, but some cheap crappy cables have all pins connected which in my case made the graphics card throw a hissy fit.

Apart from using a lovely d-sub connector (with all the bullshit that guppy mentioned above), DVI is also limited to 2560x1600@60hz due to bandwidth limitations so it's close to becoming obsolete anyway.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 28, 2014

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Lum posted:

Make it say "walk-in support desk", put it above an empty chair, put a housebrick on the chair.

If a housebrick isn't available, an oven glove with a face drawn on it will work too.

Would probably be more effective than the actual help desk we have.

Also, DVI is fine as is :colbert:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

guppy posted:

This is exactly why DVI is such a pain in the dick. Oh, it has a DVI port. Is it DVI-I or DVI-D (or god help you, DVI-A)? Is it single- or dual-link? (Trick question, nothing is ever dual link.) Oh, wait, it could also be DMS-59! gently caress yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu. Can we just stick with HDMI?

And adding DP and mini DP to the mix really helps.

I mean there's what? 2 different types of DVI (nobody actually uses DVI-A) and 3 types of HDMI. Clearly the solution to this is to add two more plug types, and ones that are not electrically compatible too!

Though I agree with gently caress people who put DVI-D ports on things. At least just put a DVI-I socket and leave the analogue pins disconnected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

guppy posted:

HDMI requires a licence fee, for a start.

• Locked thread