Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

all japan womens had no problem putting on matches just as good as and better than an extremely large amount of men and drawing legit crowds of 30k+ all on their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it is absolutely sexist to hold women to a lower standard than men and that's why calling Paige/Emma an HM is ridiculous. it was an average match by any metric. I've seen both of them have better.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Cardboard Box posted:

it is absolutely sexist to hold women to a lower standard than men and that's why calling Paige/Emma an HM is ridiculous. it was an average match by any metric. I've seen both of them have better.

Is the womens title sexist? Or women's sports at all? I'm just thinking through whether it's worse to diminish their accomplishment with a B version of a title of to almost completely disavow them because the product so rarely compares. At the same time Wrestling is just as much theater and art as it is athleticism so maybe I'm off base and telling a great story is still the expectation. Please don't take my posts as assertions. My mind is far less made up on this than yours. Just two competing positions in my head with regard to recognition. I haven't seen this particular match yet so nothing to define there. I do know we give HMs out frequently to just decent matches while ignoring things like the Del Rio Ziggler double turn which should have an HM for storytelling alone.

And as far as New Japan goes, that doesn't suss out in our MOTYC threads where there's much fewer women represented. Sample size and all that, obviously is important.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I really didn't want to start that conversation here, or even say "this is what HM should be" - although I suppose it's how it came off because I'm bad at words, so I'll eat the probation if I must, sorry Hulka -, it's just that I find it hard not grading that match on a curve taking into account how bad mainstream women's wrestling in the West has been since, well, its inception - hi, Moolah. I got into wrestling because of 90's joshi, so I really want to see more of what we got today than the usual WWE/TNA fare. I honestly think it was one of the best women's wrestling matches I saw this year, easily the best I've seen since the last Emma/Paige, and the context alone puts it into my favorite matches of the year so far.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

okay, that's fair.

for the record I was not trying to be confrontational with you, we've just had a lot of real dumb arguments in these threads in the past over what an HM should be. you're alright in my book.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 28, 2014

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

I Before E posted:

HM: Adrian Neville/Bo Dallas, NXT Arrival.

2nd.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dias posted:

I really didn't want to start that conversation here, or even say "this is what HM should be" - although I suppose it's how it came off because I'm bad at words, so I'll eat the probation if I must, sorry Hulka -, it's just that I find it hard not grading that match on a curve taking into account how bad mainstream women's wrestling in the West has been since, well, its inception - hi, Moolah. I got into wrestling because of 90's joshi, so I really want to see more of what we got today than the usual WWE/TNA fare. I honestly think it was one of the best women's wrestling matches I saw this year, easily the best I've seen since the last Emma/Paige, and the context alone puts it into my favorite matches of the year so far.

That rule is mostly there for if somebody tries to argue about what an HM should be. Don't worry about it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

John Cena posted:

all japan womens had no problem putting on matches just as good as and better than an extremely large amount of men and drawing legit crowds of 30k+ all on their own

As far as women's stuff goes, as much love as '90s AJW gets (and it's great no doubt) I'd argue that the Crush-era stuff from the '80s is better overall. Lots of great in-ring stuff combined with some of the hottest crowds you'll ever see. Chigusa Nagayo and Dump Matsumoto are easily among the best babyfaces and heels of all time respectively imo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

Is the womens title sexist? Or women's sports at all? I'm just thinking through whether it's worse to diminish their accomplishment with a B version of a title of to almost completely disavow them because the product so rarely compares.

Well, even if the Divas and Knockouts and so on were well supported, the networks that air wrestling tend to frown on male-on-female violence so you have to have separate divisions.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Suben posted:

As far as women's stuff goes, as much love as '90s AJW gets (and it's great no doubt) I'd argue that the Crush-era stuff from the '80s is better overall. Lots of great in-ring stuff combined with some of the hottest crowds you'll ever see. Chigusa Nagayo and Dump Matsumoto are easily among the best babyfaces and heels of all time respectively imo.

Yeah imo Chigusa is almost on par with Hogan as far as best babyfaces go, the only slight against her is that she never drew as much as Hogan did but she was still a major draw and, among AJW's audience, about as over as anyone I've ever seen.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MJBuddy posted:

:words: about women
If you want to watch a really good Women's pro wrestling match from this year, watch Io Shirai vs Natsuki*Taiyo and nominate it for HM. Because it was much, much better and smoother than Paige vs Emma.

Which reminds me, I forgot to nominate it myself.

HM: Io Shirai vs Natsuki*Taiyo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just watched Cesaro/Zayn on NXT Arrival, want to throw in my nod to any HM nomination it has been given. That's the kind of match we should be seeing as the blow-off to an Intercontinental Title feud - these guys should be kings of the midcard ala HHH/Rock back in the day. A very, very good match that made both guys look great, and the commentary was an excellent addition.

Edit: Oh man the post-match stuff was cool as hell too.

Edit Edit: I see everybody else gave it a MOTYC nomination, so I guess this is my nomination for that match as an HM.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 28, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Just watched Cesaro/Zayn on NXT Arrival, want to throw in my nod to any HM nomination it has been given. That's the kind of match we should be seeing as the blow-off to an Intercontinental Title feud - these guys should be kings of the midcard ala HHH/Rock back in the day. A very, very good match that made both guys look great, and the commentary was an excellent addition.

Edit: Oh man the post-match stuff was cool as hell too.

Edit Edit: I see everybody else gave it a MOTYC nomination, so I guess this is my nomination for that match as an HM.

My hope is that Cesaro wins the IC title at WM and they bring up Zayn to do just that. It'd be fun. Maybe put Zayn back under a hood for marketing purposes.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Cardboard Box posted:

I held that match on the same standard as I do men's matches. It had roughly the same quality as Big E/Swagger from EC (with the same issues: poor footwork) for the majority of the match. When they had to take it home with the sitout powerbomb, 2.9999~ first finisher kickout, and Paige going sorta nuts and breaking out a classic Joshi sub it brought the match into its own and made it a solid HM.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Flameingblack posted:

If you want to watch a really good Women's pro wrestling match from this year, watch Io Shirai vs Natsuki*Taiyo and nominate it for HM. Because it was much, much better and smoother than Paige vs Emma.

Which reminds me, I forgot to nominate it myself.

HM: Io Shirai vs Natsuki*Taiyo

I'll give this an HM. Wish the video quality was better. Pretty hot crowd, excellent fighting spirit, beautiful moonsaults, a shining wizard, and my favorite move from WCW vs. nWo World Tour for a finisher.

Don't have the network yet so my Arrival noms will be late. Deal with it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Cesaro and Zayn gets a HM from me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
HM: Laurence Fishburne vs. Mads Mikkelsen, Hannibal, Season 2 Ep. 1, 2/28/14

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
HM: Bo Dallas vs Adrian Nevell - Ladder Match - NXT ArRIVAL - 2/27/14

MOTYC: Sami Zayn vs Cesaro - NXT ArRIVAL - 2/27/14

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM - Elgin/Hero vs. Briscoes vs. Cole/Hardy, ROH TV, 2/15
HM - Andrew Everett vs. Cedric Alexander, ROH TV, 2/22
MOTYC - Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro, NXT Arrival, 2/27
HM - Bo Dallas vs. Adrian Neville, NXT Arrival, 2/27

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maxwell Lord posted:

HM: Laurence Fishburne vs. Mads Mikkelsen, Hannibal, Season 2 Ep. 1, 2/28/14

The reverse suplex spot was great but I think the match relied too heavily on weapon spots :colbert:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM - AJ Styles vs. Jay Lethal, ROH 12th Anniversary, 2/23 (Aired on ROH TV on 3/1)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM - Andrew Everett vs. Cedric Alexander, ROH TV, 2/22

Holy poo poo seconded. That match was surprisingly great. Everett does some insane stuff.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'll third Alexander vs. Everett, that was a great match live.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You know what, an HM for Steen vs O'Reilly from the 2/22 ROH TV. That match was great and would have been a borderline MOTYC if they didn't do the Compton distraction.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

You know what, an HM for Steen vs O'Reilly from the 2/22 ROH TV. That match was great and would have been a borderline MOTYC if they didn't do the Compton distraction.

I was on the fence about this but I'll second it. I initially left it off because I felt like I may have been overrating it because I was there live, but gently caress it, I really enjoyed the match.

Seriously, people. Watch ROH TV. It's really really good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was on the fence about this but I'll second it. I initially left it off because I felt like I may have been overrating it because I was there live, but gently caress it, I really enjoyed the match.

My thoughts exactly and I'll third it. Loved the match live, but I'm a Steen mark and I've been trying to cut back on honorable mentions.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Thauros posted:

I'll third Alexander vs. Everett, that was a great match live.

Fourthed.

Thauros posted:

My thoughts exactly and I'll third it. Loved the match live, but I'm a Steen mark and I've been trying to cut back on honorable mentions.

Fourthed.

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM - AJ Styles vs. Jay Lethal, ROH 12th Anniversary, 2/23 (Aired on ROH TV on 3/1)

Seconded. The ending felt abrupt but it was brilliantly worked. I'll never stop thinking Lethal's grossly underrated as long as he has matches like that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Shield vs Wyatts from Raw. Really good match, interesting storyline undercurrents.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Shield vs Wyatts from Raw. Really good match, interesting storyline undercurrents.

Second.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

MassRafTer posted:

Thirded

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Fourthed.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nthed. The crowd was super hot for it and it had great storytelling and another set of ridiculous spots.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm always reluctant to say "just keep these two in a feud forever" because inevitably too much of anything gets dull, but MAN those two teams just have amazing chemistry.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'll third that. ROH TV has been great lately.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Okada vs Ibushi for HM. Way better than their DDT match from last year.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I liked that match a whole heck a of lot and consider is a fairly strong MOTY contender so...

MOYTC: Okada vs. Ibushi - NJPW 3/6/14

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

I liked that match a whole heck a of lot and consider is a fairly strong MOTY contender so...

MOYTC: Okada vs. Ibushi - NJPW 3/6/14

I'll second this.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hulkamatt can we also add a German Suplex of the Year category because I would also like to nominate it for that

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Thauros posted:

I'll second this.

3rd

quote:

hulkamatt can we also add a German Suplex of the Year category because I would also like to nominate it for that

If I never see anyone take a german like that again I'd feel pretty comfortable jesus christ :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

Next to that German Suplex and the sound of Naito and Ishii headbutting each other that NJPW show was nasty.

• Locked thread