Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Rage posted:

If anyone is still worried about finding them at retail, here's BBTS pre-order for Swerve and Cosmos:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS23654&mode=retail

annnnnnnnd Shrapnel and Tailgate:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS23657&mode=retail

Aww hell yiss, preordered. (Well, more sitting on a preorder unless I see them in stores first, since the last time I tried getting something from BBTS it was out in retail for two months before they fulfilled their first shipment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Goldskull posted:

they got no3 Gauntlet coming soon.

Oh hell yes, this really needs to happen. I've been jonesing for an Ironfist for way too long.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rita Repulsa posted:

At the very least huffer/pipes could serve as nintendo-label mario and luigi transformers.

G2 masterpiece Sideswipe came in the mail. This is the first masterpiece transformer I've owned. I was expecting him to be far more fiddly like the movieverse toys or alternators, I had seen his transformation in reviews and was uneasy about the feet being assemble like cardboard boxes and his torso assembly, but he's loving G2 comics Sideswipe and far more affordable than most third party transformers for higher quality so I pounced on the preorder. My worries were unfounded really, I'm impressed. All in all once you've gotten the hang of it he's fairly solid. You never have to massage panels into place, and everything is on right angles so there's no weird parts placement to memorize going back and forth. I might take photos at some point.

MP Grimlock, MP10 Optimus, Soundwave, Sideswipe and the Datsun bros are all super simple and satisfying transformations. They're not incredible like Generations Scourge, but they're certainly fun enough to mess with without having to devote 20 minutes and getting the instruction book out. I recommend all of them! I'm pretty sure Grimlock and Soundwave are getting reissued this year, so definitely look at picking them up if you can.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Goldskull posted:

What is the deal with the Mech Ideas thing? Long story short is good for me, I know their Demolition Crue is well regarded and they got no3 Gauntlet coming soon.

Mech ideas release teaser images of upcoming animated-style pipes and huffer (luigi and mario, as envisioned by Spergmaster D. Wyatt). People get reasonably hyped about it. Pre-orders open up on BBTS. Some people wait out for pre-orders on TFsource, captured prey and other outlets.

As such, only a handful (unknown amount at this moment) of preorders are filled. After only 1 day, Mech Ideas then release a statement saying they're pulling the plug because "insufficient preorders blablabla". Self-entitled fans and normal fans find out that both figures were actually BBTS-exclusive. A clash occurs over the TFW thread about the following:
  • Misinformation about the products offered
  • The terrible marketing at Mech Ideas
  • The terrible marketing at 3rd party companies
  • BBTS/TFSource/east side/west side gang rivalry
  • The choice of characters to make figures of (pipes and huffer? more like yikes and bummer rite!?)
  • The terrible tragedy and human loss that was the cancellation of the animated toyline

There's more but I have an actual headache from reading the thread.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Ka0 posted:

...as envisioned by Spergmaster D. Wyatt).

What is it again that Wyatt did to make fans turn on him?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

[*]The choice of characters to make figures of (pipes and huffer? more like yikes and bummer rite!?)

Do people hate Pipes and Huffer that much? They never really did anything of note other than be orange and be a comically small truck.

catch22 posted:

HE WANTED TO BE LORD OF TRANSFORMERS! ALL CONTINUITY FLOWS THROUGH HIM AND NONE SHALL BESMERCH WHAT HE DECIDES!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Do people hate Pipes and Huffer that much? They never really did anything of note other than be orange and be a comically small truck.

Huffer pulled Prime's trailer once and I'm sure that set people off.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

Huffer pulled Prime's trailer once and I'm sure that set people off.

I think it's time they put it behind them, there hasn't been a huffer figure or a prime with a trailer in the same line since G1.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think it's time they put it behind them, there hasn't been a huffer figure or a prime with a trailer in the same line since G1.

That was a joke. The issue with the character choice seems to be the notion that if you're trying to drum up excitement for a new 3rd party line, Huffer and Pipes are probably not the best options for hype building. Almost nobody cares about them, and a lot of the people who did care about the TFA style versions actually wanted Mario/Luigi repaints. Hard to really argue with that, no matter how obnoxiously the point is being made over on TFW.

EthanSteele posted:

MP Grimlock, MP10 Optimus, Soundwave, Sideswipe and the Datsun bros are all super simple and satisfying transformations. They're not incredible like Generations Scourge

Well, there's a figure I never thought I'd see get called out as superior to Masterpieces.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 28, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Small addendum to what was said about the Mech Ideas thing: BBTS is the one that made the decision. There's a chance that they might turn up elsewhere, and if they do, they may be ending noticeably cheaper. We'll likely never know and this is tin hat BS on my part, but BBTS may have put them up for order before MI expected them to and then pulled the plug. The same person does hype for both MI and MMC, so I can't imagine them dropping the ball like that given their track record. Also, BBTS won't take Animated toys in their trade/purchase program because they have a terrible time selling them, so they sort of have decent reasoning for wanting to dump it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

You know, Wyatt's a cool guy, I've met him on a few occasions now. Yeah he had a very concrete vision for Animated, but that gave us a pretty good show, honestly. With characters who have stuck around since and been featured in both later shows and the films. I don't think there's anything wrong with his work, and he's completely disappeared from the scene anyway, he's off working on Ben 10 or something.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think it may just be me and Ka0 that have a problem with Mr. Wyatt. He can be a totally great guy to be around and hang out with, but that doesn't mean I won't think he's acted like a jerk regarding the many other people who worked on Animated, many of whom would have contributed more to making the show what it was than he did. Whether intentional or not, he talks like he was running the show and he's the be-all, end-all of what is or would have been "canon." It isn't helped by the fact that much of the fandom also acts that way too. But he was not the writer or even a writer on the show. The writers did listen to and used some of his ideas because he was a fan and their friend, but the same is also true for David Kaye. He was just a character designer. Many of the final designs in the show aren't even his; they're Eric Siebenaler's reworkings of what DJW came up with and hasbro rejected. I'd have the same problem with, for example, Alex Milne if he acted in any way similarly regarding MTMTE.

Now, with that said, I don't have a hate-on for the guy or even a strong dislike for him. He just comes off as a jerk to me (and I'm sure the same is true for me when it comes to some of you), and I've wasted entirely too much time explaining why, because that's just kind of a thing I do: be over-explainy and such. I think reasons are important. Also because if you don't like something or someone on the internet, people generally take it as having a massive rage-boner after drinking a barrel of haterade.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I hope that 'season 2' of the comics gives the highlight to some guys like Jazz who would be cool to see in the main cast of one of the series instead of just sorta bangin' around in the background.

Edit: Apparently the Takara MP-21 teaser.

I, uh. Huh.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 28, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Keldroc posted:

Well, there's a figure I never thought I'd see get called out as superior to Masterpieces.

I meant specifically the magic trick that is his transformation, I love it!

GrimGypsy posted:

I hope that 'season 2' of the comics gives the highlight to some guys like Jazz who would be cool to see in the main cast of one of the series instead of just sorta bangin' around in the background.

I, uh. Huh.

Quick, someone cooler than me compare it to the 3rd party Bumblebee (Bii?).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

GrimGypsy posted:

I, uh. Huh.

Is he holding a gun? A proper Volkswagonbee with a gun? What world am I living in?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

catch22 posted:

Anyone who cosiders himself to be beyond criticism is a human joke. That is all I'm going to say. That bumblebee looks neat, I'll skip it over Cliffjumper most likely.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

GrimGypsy posted:

I, uh. Huh.

Oh man, he's definitely a VW bug. With a gun. I'm hyped for this. Maybe we can get a MP Jazz too!

I would totally love a Jazz, Hound, Tracks, Ironhide and Ratchet. Then I'd probably be good on MP Autobot cars.

But fo reals, the MP Lambos and Datsuns are like the best Transformers ever made in my book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone needs to make me a Rung figure. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was looking at my favorite users list on Pixiv for some content for the "cool fanart" thread in PYF, and found that one of my favorites has taken a rather big liking to More Than Meets The Eye. It didn't even cross my mind that MTMTE might also be put out in Japan, too, anyone who knows where to check, can you tell me if it's popular there?

This dude is the one I was talking about : http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=55792

He's made some great stuff, including a very :3: Cyclonus/Tailgate picture and a rockin' DJD picture.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

You just know they're singing some Megatron tract they musicalized themselves, the DJD are just the worst Megs fanboys.

At the end of the concert the audience explodes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Blackheart posted:

You just know they're singing some Megatron tract they musicalized themselves, the DJD are just the worst Megs fanboys.

At the end of the concert the audience explodes.

I had a :krad: metal remix of the Stonecutter's Song from The Simpsons in my head.

"Who holds back the nucleon core
Who will never stop fighting this war
We doooo, we doooooooooooooo!!!!"

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Heroic Autobot Megatron (tm) will put a gruesome stop to all of them.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

The OP mentioning how ROTF Leader Prime was amazing wasn't kidding. For a while, my local TRU had that DOTM Jetwing Optimus just sitting awkward along with a bunch of Platinum Ultra Magnuses, and on a whim I decided to grab it (and for a lack of a better prime).

It's absolutely amazing, but holy poo poo is it a massive pain to turn into a truck. The G1 stripes on the wings are a nice touch. I'm kinda considering trying to get some other movie figures. Are any of the other leader class figures any good? I kind of have my eye on Jetfire and Sentinel Prime.

Also whoever had the idea to make scout class Ejector is the greatest. I never knew I wanted a toy toaster until seeing a picture of him.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ka0 posted:

Heroic Autobot Megatron (tm) will put a gruesome stop to all of them.

I want to only ever refer to autobot megatron as HAM from now on.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was reading some of the comics packed in with the latest figures, and what's going on with Swoop's design? It's like he transforms into... a guy disguised as a pterodactyl.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Is Revolver going to be FansProjects first complete failure? Everything else was pretty good right?

$23 :iamafag: lookin' good Hasbro

$94 :pwn: oh hey it's kinda G1

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 28, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

Is Revolver going to be FansProjects first complete failure? Everything else was pretty good right?

Eh, it looks like it's a perfectly fine toy... but Hasbro just kind of announced their own Roadbuster right before it came out. Pretty hard to convince me to spend all that cash on the Fansproject one when I can wait a little while longer and get Hasbro's for $25.

What's wrong with it, other than that?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Gammatron 64 posted:

Eh, it looks like it's a perfectly fine toy... but Hasbro just kind of announced their own Roadbuster right before it came out. Pretty hard to convince me to spend all that cash on the Fansproject one when I can wait a little while longer and get Hasbro's for $25.

What's wrong with it, other than that?

It's not bad, I might get one on clearance :/ Didn't Defender become an eBay page...warmer(?) as soon as the triple-changer Springer was released? Or maybe I'll sell all my 3rd party robots, argh :negative:

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 28, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

It's not bad, I might get one on clearance :/ Didn't Defender become an eBay page...warmer(?) as soon as the triple-changer Springer was released?

Yeah, but that Springer was released a couple years before Hasbro did a proper triple changer one. In fact, IIRC that Springer was one of the very first 3rd party figures that was an entire figure and not an add-on kit like City Commander, and people were like "holy poo poo, FP is making an entire Springer figure, that's ballsy as gently caress!"

Now that Hasbro is doing an Arcee, I think MMC is going to cancel theirs, too. That's a shame, the MMC Arcee looked good.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

XavierGenisi posted:

Are any of the other leader class figures any good? I kind of have my eye on Jetfire and Sentinel Prime.

My #1 TF vehicle want is an SR-71 Blackbird, and Jetfire's vehicle mode doesn't disappoint. The robot mode and transformation are unfortunately pretty dire. Like Victory Leo and RID Magnus before him, he suffers from "my main mode is actually Prime's Sunday best" syndrome. Except those other two toys rule, and Jetfire sucks.

I just transformed leader Sentinel Prime into truck mode last night as a matter of fact, and he's a lot cooler than I had remembered. My memory was that he's a fiddly fussy piece of crap with but both modes look pretty good. On re-examination, the transformation wasn't that annoying (maybe because I picked up Knight Morpher Cyclops since I got Sentinel. Cyclops has to have the bitchiest transformation between two great modes ever known) and given today's issues I can't believe I ever thought Sentinel's plastic felt cheap. His biggest issue is his weirdly pale coloring, with lack of paint apps a close second. If you can live with those things, and a somewhat challenging transformation, you'll be golden.

The leader-class guy you should have your eye on, if you don';t have him already, is Ironhide. I'm no fan of the Bayverse but it's such a great TF.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

XavierGenisi posted:

It's absolutely amazing, but holy poo poo is it a massive pain to turn into a truck. The G1 stripes on the wings are a nice touch. I'm kinda considering trying to get some other movie figures. Are any of the other leader class figures any good? I kind of have my eye on Jetfire and Sentinel Prime.
Even moreso than other movie figures, the movie Leaders are a very mixed bag. Sentinel is a figure with some real merits and clever ideas that I greatly enjoy, but if you find Prime to be a pain already, I'm sorry to say his mentor is even worse. Panels, panels everywhere. I don't have a Jetfire, but from what I understand he's even more of a nightmare.

As far as good Leaders go, there's Starscream (of all people) and Ironhide (who has his drawbacks but is really simple, satisfyingly chunky and has a strong sculpt in both modes). Just avoid the Megatrons.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Eh, it looks like it's a perfectly fine toy... but Hasbro just kind of announced their own Roadbuster right before it came out.
I had zero interest in Revolver before even considering the existence of other Roadbusters, to be honest. Its vehicle mode looks silly as hell and just way too 80s. It's like a weird merge of their Warbot and Glacialbot design philosophies, and I don't understand why you would redesign an 80s character with a barely differing aesthetic in mind. Not something I look for in 3P toys.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Now that Hasbro is doing an Arcee, I think MMC is going to cancel theirs, too. That's a shame, the MMC Arcee looked good.

The guys from MMC that post on TFW said they know they're gonna take a hit in sales but they've got no plans to cancel.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Besides Arcee/Chromia, Leader Megatron, and Voyager Brainstorm, what figures are going to be in Generations that we have not seen?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Terry van Feleday posted:

Just avoid the Megatrons.

Is the ROTF one bad as well? I assumed with the prices it fetches it was at least pretty competent.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Is the ROTF one bad as well? I assumed with the prices it fetches it was at least pretty competent.

ROTF megs is pretty boring, but apparently it became hard to get somewhere down the line (and there wasn't a DOTM leader) so it's crazy expensive now, especially the black "shadow command" version (which actually looks pretty OK).

I think revolver looks OK in robot mode, but the vehicle mode is too weird. Still no reason for me to pick it up when the hasbro version is perfectly serviceable.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rita Repulsa posted:

Besides Arcee/Chromia, Leader Megatron, and Voyager Brainstorm, what figures are going to be in Generations that we have not seen?

Legends Cliffjumper, Legends Thundercracker, Legends Nemesis Prime, Gnaw(probably the Skrapnel repaint), Brawn(and maybe Outback) from the leaked Hasbro listings.

Also whatever they're going to repaint Legends Megatron, Tailgate(Windcharger), Skrapnel and Cosmos into.

United Ratbat needs an American release too. There's still the rumor that Deluxe Warpath being repainted into hardhead because he's the only other alternate head guy outside of Lugnut who hasn't been released in some form. There's a hardhead listing in the leaked listings so it could be him.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 28, 2014

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
Revolver looks OK in robot mode from some angles but then in others like this one it looks like he's wearing a big green diaper.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Blackheart posted:

I was reading some of the comics packed in with the latest figures, and what's going on with Swoop's design? It's like he transforms into... a guy disguised as a pterodactyl.

I have no idea, but I really don't like how they render him in the comics either. And I love the comics.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

GrimGypsy posted:

Literally me irl ^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You all should be ashamed about wanting another Bumblebee figure, ASHAMED! :black101: