Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

If there is one thing that Brooke loves to draw, it's a dirty oar.
Clearly a Miyamato Musashi reference.
Here's a Kate Beaton cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Goodness, Gil. What'll happen is you'll make a totally rad domino chain and just as you're about to set the last piece one gust of wind or rogue rear end in a top hat sparrow is gonna knock down your entire afternoon's worth of work.

Retail

With those lost expressions these people better not be discussing anything less than a serious existential crisis!

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

It took you six days to come to that conclusion?! I hope you didn't have to apply the five-step-process of engineering to get to that.

Dustin

Your eating habits aren't much better Dustin so take care you don't turn into your dad when you're over the hill.

On the Fastrack

Get real, AC. Only a magic zap from another guy can do that.

Safe Havens

Maybe you could call it... a wild goose chase?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail
With those lost expressions these people better not be discussing anything less than a serious existential crisis!

Your dialogue is better.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Can't help but think of today's qwantz.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Of course, her favourive Goethe quote is “Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.” so deep down she's convinced they're all hosed.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

Yeah, no problem, I can run through the last 2 stores, which'll take around a month, then have you take over.

1 : I host them on Imgur, which is fairly nice, since you can just go to imgur.com and drag+drop the image straight from a folder into the browser, and have it upload, plus it can spit out IMG links so you don't have to do that manually.

2: Yes, I dunno what you have, but I've been using Photoshop for it.
Auto-corrected colour and contrast.
Set it to Greyscale. ( Although a lot of posters like the warm yellow-ish hue the pages have by themselves. I however love how stark and beautiful the black on while lines can be. :allears: )
( The poster who posted Moominmamma's Maid, where my avatar is from, preferred the warm yellow way. )
I also later started pushing the Levels slightly, making the blacks blacker and cleaning away a lot of the noise/paper texture, making the white even sharper.
Then rescale it down to 1000px wide, cropping away the giant margin beforehand.

Although, the width is kinda up to you, I've been using 1000px just to make sure that nearly everyone can read it without having to scroll side-to-side.
But the lower res does smudge some of the details.

Then I save it as a .gif with 32 colours( It saves a lot of space.), 64-128 for yellower ones, you'll be able to see how many colours you use, anyhow.

End result, fairly sharp and nice black and white comics, at only 400-700 kb a page, despite the size.

I suggest you mess around a bit, and figure out what you like the most, and what's most practical for you, really. It also depends a bit on what kind of result you get right from your scanner.

Comparison: 400KB vs 3.8MB
And my perhaps too agressive Black/White Level scaling on the bottom.

Thanks for the advice. I'll mess around with what I have and see how it turns out.

I had to stare at this a good while before I realised Mary had any eyes in that second panel.

Also love that Johnny is so clearly depressed/uncomfortable in that first panel. Unfortunately his mother is too busy knattering on about nothing and Wilbur is so absorbed by his creeping that no one notices.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or not. http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth12.htm

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

After that many shots, I'm impressed he can still walk.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

9 Chickweed Lane 3/1/2003

Zits

Kevin & Kell

What?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Winding a camera? I think this dates the strip more than anything else I've seen. Well, it dates Bud Grace, at least.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
As someone who did time in the big-box store trenches, that Retail edit was a little too close to the bone. Y'know, Skippy always puts us in a good mood in the morning! Or whenever! What zany childlike mischief is our favorite little 1920s scalawag up to today? Let's take a look...

Oh. :smith:

(December 11, 1926)

Peanuts (March 4, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

All rise for The State of Unrelieved Paranoia vs. Popeye et al.

Rip Haywire

Pogo (March 3, 1956)

A speech therapist could really clean up here.

Out Our Way (July 16-17, 1924)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Nobody forced Swee'pea to take up a life of ghost piracy. Let the scum hang.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, just curious. In today's system, Swee'pea would be tried as a juvenile and even if convicted, he'd spend aw cripes never mind I just realized how utterly depressing everything in Popeye is if you connect it to any kind of reality whatsoever. :drat:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac is a portrait of pre-teen angst.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God that Petey face is amazing. :allears:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm guessing he hangs, but weighs so little that it doesn't do anything.

So they just let him go.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think even Popeye would stop short of showing a child being hanged on the comics page, no matter how poorly it's working.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Man, this FOOB arc is making me nostalgic for a time when people with plane tickets and hotel reservations could just give them to another person to use.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Winding a camera? I think this dates the strip more than anything else I've seen. Well, it dates Bud Grace, at least.

I had to look up the reference from the previous day.

Wiki posted:

Due to PCBs' environmental toxicity and classification as a persistent organic pollutant, PCB production was banned by the United States Congress in 1979

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Basically I hate Piranha Club for its dinosaur sensibilities, and Mother Goose and Grimm for it's nudge-nudge-wink-wink-I-told-a-joke humor. The latest "cartoon oscars please don't sue me" series of strips has been intolerable.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (March 1, 1967)

From several days ago, but I just couldn't get Rage Charlie Brown out of my mind, and since he's STILL mad about that tree...

IT"S A SHOCKING SIGHT!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Sorry to quote my own post, but gently caress me I hate the commenters on GoComics.

Sisyphos posted:

In which, the tables being turned, Travis puts the joking hurt on Owen. (Note the tear trickling down his cheek, panel 3.)

This guy. This loving guy. I don't think he's smart enough to be a troll; he's just the most unfunny, literalminded douche I've seen in a long time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is Mother Goose & Grimm ever not insufferable?

Drimble Wedge posted:

Sorry to quote my own post, but gently caress me I hate the commenters on GoComics.

This guy. This loving guy. I don't think he's smart enough to be a troll; he's just the most unfunny, literalminded douche I've seen in a long time.
Oh dear heavens. This guy indeed.

Bloom County

:laugh: at the days of Bruce Willis being thought of as a TV actor, instead of just a bad one.
And here's Don Knotts:

Gotta have roadies.

Calvin and Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Judging solely from today's strip, Get A Life! is just terrible.

Get Fuzzy was once funny. That was long, long ago.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 1, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Thanks Internet posted:

I honestly don't think that even edits of that caliber justify posting this strip.

Sounds like somebody wants more of The Grizzwells!

This joke wasn't funny the first time, but the second time I laughed and laughed.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

:laugh: at the days of Bruce Willis being thought of as a TV actor, instead of just a bad one.

Don Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1sNImbI2Zw
Bruce Willis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43BZ0FSOAY

Don't say you weren't warned.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Someone make the dad in the penultimate panel an av, and then someone else buy it for me.
Momma

It is interesting to speculate on what drives Momma to object to her children's partners. My theory is that her bad children select awful people.

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008

thank you this is exactly what I was thinking when I read this

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Darn! A klepto-ego-maniacal vigilante liar with a domino mask fetish is a catch you don't find every day.
At least she will always have the memories of his chiseled purple abs oh wait he's going to brainwipe her never mind.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Squishy posted:

Momma

It is interesting to speculate on what drives Momma to object to her children's partners. My theory is that her bad children select awful people.

Momma's a hateful person who is, above all else, afraid to die alone. She sabotages her children's lives in the hope that she'll be all they have left.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

I hope this ends with the reporter waking up in her bed going "what a weird dream" and in the last panel there's the faintest outline of a skull on her cheek, an "or was it" caption and an insert of Phantom grinning impishly, raising his finger to his lips and winking at the reader.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Never forget.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Someone make the dad in the penultimate panel an av, and then someone else buy it for me.

Here's a few options:

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 1, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Julet Esqu posted:

Here's a few options:

You're a treasure.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Darthemed posted:

Never forget.

We won't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WprhxGjq6_c

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

And then she was so impressed that she totally wanted to marry me! Too bad I've already got a hot wife.

Seriously, both Phantom storylines right now read like Walker's writing fanfiction about himself.

Edit: And it's totally pointless because she's getting brainwiped anyway!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the secret mind-wiping formula will give her cancer and there can be a Funky Winkerbean crossover.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope this ends with the reporter waking up in her bed going "what a weird dream" and in the last panel there's the faintest outline of a skull on her cheek, an "or was it" caption and an insert of Phantom grinning impishly, raising his finger to his lips and winking at the reader.

if by cheek you mean rear end cheek*.

* For the ghost who cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Never forget.

Why would I want to?

Jim's Journal

Stay classy, T-Bone.

Johnny Hazard

This strip is really starting to try my patience. :mad:

Krazy Kat

Ye plotte thickeneth!

Classic Mandrake

The World's Strongest Man :3:

Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future

This is what you meant by "back in time", Dan? Are you seriously telling me you've got colonies on Mars and instantaneous lag-free video chat across the solar system but are left completely poleaxed by the concept of "reruns"?!

• Locked thread