Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Is there a mod that allows you to repair vanilla weapons with their GRA counterparts? Or should that already happen and I just have too many mods to notice?

Basically looking for something compatible with WMX that removes the (GRA) tags from weapons and allows mods to work between vanilla and GRA variants.

I don't know about the cross-repairing thing off the top of my head; it's never actually come up for me.

WMX-GRA doesn't remove the GRA tags because of the confusion that would result in, but apart from that it sort of does what you're after itself. Some weapon mods work on both vanilla and GRA weapons, and others can be 'converted' from vanilla/WMX to GRA (and vice-versa), if they're similar enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

gently caress yes! Actual sinks. No more sucking out of that sewer main! The living area looks really great, man. I can't wait.

Edit: also, I see you put a coffee maker in the kitchen. Is it going to be able to brew different drinks like some of the other ones around the wasteland? I think the coffee brewing thing is part of Project Nevada.

Honest Hearts adds the coffee recipe to the campfire recipe list; Project Nevada (I believe) adds a perk that allows you to use any regular coffee machine (which are normally static and not usable) to brew a cup of black coffee, with less resources than it takes to brew at the campfire. That said, the coffee machine and coffee urn are static objects and just there for decoration, and if I'm right about PN, that's unlikely to change, as it'll add the functionality if you use it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Nobody Interesting posted:

The pink faces returned after installing a few new mods, but disabling and re-enabling archive invalidation in NMM fixed that. Good trick to know.

What seems to be one final issue is present now, though. Nevada Skies's skybox seems a bit off. There's some very obvious seamage going on there...

Don't use Nevada skies. URWLNV is better and comes with a really good looking ENB, if that is your thing.

Antistar01 posted:

I don't know about the cross-repairing thing off the top of my head; it's never actually come up for me.

WMX-GRA doesn't remove the GRA tags because of the confusion that would result in, but apart from that it sort of does what you're after itself. Some weapon mods work on both vanilla and GRA weapons, and others can be 'converted' from vanilla/WMX to GRA (and vice-versa), if they're similar enough.

Thanks - I started poking around in FNVEdit, since nothing I wanted did this. I'm going to just rename all the (GRA) stuff to MkII or something along those lines. Also get rid of the Mad Bomber tags, cause I don't need no 'cheevos. Already using WMX, so no worries.

ps antistar when u gonna finish Clockwork dawg?!?

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 28, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fereydun posted:

The phrase "VATS dicks" without being related to groin shots is truly sorely disappointing.

It sort of is, just a different kind of "groin shot."

The thing is, if there was a dick present (because the person who ported the armor to Roberts used the nude version as the base) VATS seemed to want to put that dick front and goddamn center on my screen, both in targeting and killcam.

The Lobotomite and White Legs armors were really bad for this.

"VATS loves the D" is what I'm getting at.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

At last, vindication for never using VATS in my playthroughs.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Berke Negri posted:

At last, vindication for never using VATS in my playthroughs.

How the hell do you manage to shoot bloatflies, then?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Cantorsdust posted:

How the hell do you manage to shoot bloatflies, then?

You line up your sights with them and fire? I never use VATS either unless I'm about to change cells, and know that there's a hostile waiting for me on the other side. Other than that though, all ranged combat is done down the sights.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fereydun posted:

The phrase "VATS dicks" without being related to groin shots is truly sorely disappointing.

VATS dicks are the inevitable evolution of Mole Rat Boobs.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Gyshall posted:

ps antistar when u gonna finish Clockwork dawg?!?

Urrgh... when I stop getting distracted by other projects - like the recent update to WMX, and this tileset for Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead. CDDA has really got its hooks into me - and I normally don't like roguelikes! I'd really recommend it to people who like Fallout, actually; it's a post-apocalyptic roguelike, basically.

Clockwork though... my motivation for it goes up and down over time; forcing myself to work on it when there's something else I'm dying to work on instead doesn't really result in much getting done.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Haha yeah modding the Gamebryo based games is a slog sometimes. I have been working on and off on a Skyrim overhaul for the past year and a half and get to the point where motivation is non existent.

Going to check out Cataclysm though.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I'm sorry I forgot your name, but towards the bit who was doing that huge mod compilation with PN/FOOK; how's that coming along, and what's the ETA on it?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kumaton posted:

I'm sorry I forgot your name, but towards the bit who was doing that huge mod compilation with PN/FOOK; how's that coming along, and what's the ETA on it?

Right now I'm merging some of the scripts together in the GECK which is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Right now I'm adding some elements of CCO to it. Stuff like the perks, companion development (mini-quests that give the companions extra perks etc) and such.

My concern right now is that I might have made Cass a bit too good. I mean, she's already one of the better companions, but now in addition to Whiskey Rose, she can also drink whiskey herself which increases her attack speed/DT when she drinks whiskey/moonshine and you can do an additional quest to give her a much better shotgun.

At least now she can drink too much whiskey and get a slight debuff if she overdoes it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alright, while I was looking at mods today, I saw some I'm curious about: Are the Factions Reloaded or Real Time Settler mods any good?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Factions Reloaded is pretty good but it's quite buggy/incomplete and can be pretty straining on your system. I'd say the worst aspect of them are the Followers one because the voice acting is rather dodgy and I'm a stickler for that sort of thing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lotish posted:

Alright, while I was looking at mods today, I saw some I'm curious about : Are the Factions Reloaded or Real Time Settler mods any good?

Factions Reloaded - no.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh, and should I get both New Vegas Bounties mods or just the first one? I noticed to make the second work you need both the first and a separate .esm.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm going to go against the grain and not recommend them. They're rather badly written, the references are glaringly obvious and immersion breaking, and the second one is full of the most ridiculous bullet sponge monster closet encounters I've ever seen.

I hope you like fighting 50+ super mutants with buffed up stats that will attack you relentlessly before you even get to the person you're trying to kill.

I think the most ridiculous one I've encountered is in another one of his mods, "The Inheritance", where there's one segment where so many feral ghouls come at you from infinitely respawning spawners that I literally got bored killing stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fereydun posted:

Somebody must make a mod that adds groin attacks to VATS. Successful hits are instant death.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Somebody must make a mod that adds groin attacks to VATS. Successful hits are instant death.

That'd unfortunately require re-exporting the mesh for every creature, person and outfit you wanted to give a targetable groin - plus various other things that may or may not be possible to make the game support it.

Still, if anyone out there was to put that much effort into groin-related modding... they'd probably be at Lover's Lab. Of course you don't really want to go there, though.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The King of Swag posted:

Honest Hearts adds the coffee recipe to the campfire recipe list; Project Nevada (I believe) adds a perk that allows you to use any regular coffee machine (which are normally static and not usable) to brew a cup of black coffee, with less resources than it takes to brew at the campfire. That said, the coffee machine and coffee urn are static objects and just there for decoration, and if I'm right about PN, that's unlikely to change, as it'll add the functionality if you use it.

Active Wasteland has an option to use coffee makers, too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fereydun posted:

I mean technically it DOES refer to groin shots.

...just, groin shots of the pictorial variety. :v:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Anyone know how safe it is to install The New Bison Steve mod after you've already cleared Primm? I keep finding new drat mods every time I go to launch the game and that one looks great.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Anyone know how safe it is to install The New Bison Steve mod after you've already cleared Primm? I keep finding new drat mods every time I go to launch the game and that one looks great.

Should be fine. It's very well made and should cause no problems if you've already cleared Primm.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I installed it well after I cleared Primm, and it worked just fine. It really is a cool mod.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Jolly good. Actually a little bit amazed at how stable everything is, my loadorder is getting pretty crazy.

Still a little bit disappointed in rePopulated Wasteland though. I wonder how trivial it would be to patch in non-generic AI for the new NPCs?

Edit:
And now I get to Freeside I discover a few things off about Francine...
Where's her shirt at and why is she suddenly a patriot? Still, at least her head isn't triangular.

Incidentally - holy poo poo, Freeside Open. Crashed once but otherwise it's performing nicely and just wow.

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 1, 2014

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Lotish posted:

Oh, and should I get both New Vegas Bounties mods or just the first one? I noticed to make the second work you need both the first and a separate .esm.

Honestly, get both. New Vegas bounties is a really solid pair of mods.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Jolly good. Actually a little bit amazed at how stable everything is, my loadorder is getting pretty crazy.

Still a little bit disappointed in rePopulated Wasteland though. I wonder how trivial it would be to patch in non-generic AI for the new NPCs?

Edit:
And now I get to Freeside I discover a few things off about Francine...
Where's her shirt at and why is she suddenly a patriot? Still, at least her head isn't triangular.

Incidentally - holy poo poo, Freeside Open. Crashed once but otherwise it's performing nicely and just wow.

If youre using something that alters vanilla clothing, thats likely what it is. Shes normally wearing one of the pre-war business suits. If theres something that alters that, thats likely it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
After many months of being too lazy to re-assemble my choice of mods to play this game again, I've decided I'll finally get it done and get back into the Mojave. I have only one question before I begin: I use Mod Organizer extensively for Skyrim, and I'd like to know if it's as up-to-snuff for New Vegas. I know it's listed in the OP, but I wonder if any of you have first-hand experience using it, and if there are any issues I should know about.

Thanks, cowboys!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
For simple plug in and play sort of mods it is fine, but it is much easier to go the manual old school FOMM route for the bigger dogs.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:lol::lol:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55154/

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
FCO has really come on leaps and bounds.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Coughing Hobo posted:

After many months of being too lazy to re-assemble my choice of mods to play this game again, I've decided I'll finally get it done and get back into the Mojave. I have only one question before I begin: I use Mod Organizer extensively for Skyrim, and I'd like to know if it's as up-to-snuff for New Vegas. I know it's listed in the OP, but I wonder if any of you have first-hand experience using it, and if there are any issues I should know about.

Thanks, cowboys!

First use FOMM to install Project Nevada and any interface changing mods you might want, like Darnified UI. Then start MO and go from there.

Here are the mods I've installed with FOMM:

Everything else, Mod Organizer should handle.

This is, unironically, how the FCO characters look to me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gyshall posted:

First use FOMM to install Project Nevada and any interface changing mods you might want, like Darnified UI. Then start MO and go from there.

This is basically the response I figured I'd get. That's easily workable, thanks!

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I've run into an issue I've had when playing the original Lombard Station, as well as a handful of other player homes that have item displays: with even moderately packed items, the ray intersection that is used to detect what item you currently have the crosshair over, is dodgy. If you have fully stocked display shelves, the game has problems identifying what item the crosshair is over, until you've taken enough of the surrounding items, that you regain the ability to take it specifically. In other words, if you have several columns of an item sitting on a shelf, you will have no trouble taking the first couple (or few) items out of a single column, but then you'll be unable to take any more out of that column, until you take some out of the columns next to it.

I've spent all day experimenting with different types (and quality) of collision meshes for display items, including custom, more detailed collision meshes for some items that had particularly sloppy meshes. What I've found is that none of that matters, and that only items with generated geometric shapes (by setting the havok collision mesh option from an explicit mesh to a primitive; examples would be cylinder, cube, etc.) don't suffer from this issue. Which leads me to believe that the collision mesh is used as the final check for the ray intersection, but that the bounding box of the model is used as a quick culling method. The collision mesh is always guaranteed to be enclosed by the bounding box (because that's what it is), and checking a ray intersection with the bounding box is a very cheap way of avoiding a more expensive check against the collision mesh. It also explains why items with primitive collisions don't suffer from the problem, because the primitive is just as cheap to check as the bounding box, which means the bounding box check is likely not performed.

I believe the problem itself stems from this initial bounding-box cull. What I believe is happening is that even though an item would pass the collision mesh ray intersection check, it's failing the bounding box check, because the bounding box of other items are partially overlaying the object, depending on the angle you try to take it from; that overlaying object then fails the collision mesh check, because you aren't actually putting the crosshair directly over its collision mesh, so the effect is the same as if you didn't have the crosshair over any object.

I see three options here:

1) Leave it as is; the problem will never prevent you from taking all the items of a type if that's what you want to do, it's just that you might need to alternate what columns you take them out of, if you want to take more than several at a time.

2) Spread everything way out; as I mentioned, the problem surfaces with even moderately packed items, so you need to really spread items apart to prevent it from showing up. This unfortunately means that you can fit fewer different types of items into a display.

3) Reduce the number of items per type, and spread everything way out, just less than in option 2. This is essentially just option 2, except you get to keep more different types of items, at the cost of having a lot fewer of any given type.

Here's two pictures showing a small section of both the kitchen and medical display shelves. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, there are two columns of whiskey bottles in the kitchen display, and 6 columns of Stimpack's in the medical display.

So the question for you folks is, what would you like to see me do? Personally, I think the displays look bitching as they are, and they'll be much less impressive if I take option 2 or 3. I also see the problem as annoying, but relatively minor, as it never prevents you from taking all the items, just from taking them all out of the same column without taking some out of the columns next to it.

I'm not going to generate actual pictures of what it would look like (because that's a lot of extra work), but to give you an idea of what option 2 and 3 would be like; option 2 would give the same impression of a well-stocked shelf (as option 1), but with much less variety. Option 3 would retain the variety (of option 1), but look more sparse and poorly stocked. Using option 2 and the medical shelf as an example: the regular stimpaks would have to be separated enough that they'd cross the entire shelf they're on (or possibly even wider apart), and the auto-inject stimpaks would either need to be eliminated from the displays, or moved to another shelf if there was room. Option 3 for the same items would probably see both the stimpaks and auto-inject stimpaks reduced to just a handful each, but they'd both get to stay on the same shelf.

P.S. Some items, especially in the medical displays, need extra work for custom texturing, as a lot of them share the same models, and some (like the stimpaks) look weird in their default form, because things that should be lit up (like the digital gauge on the auto-inject stimpak) aren't. You can see a good example on the top shelf; three different healing items that all use the same model, that I had to make (admittedly very minor) changes to the textures to distinguish them.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 2, 2014

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Leave it as is. It's only a minor inconvenience, and those displays look great.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Don't see any problem with those Oblivion screenshots.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ouch, that title.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
As a work around, include another option(s) to take gear.

Give an access panel to let us open the storage container wholesale like the weapon walls. Alternatively, a terminal (since that seems to look like a dispenser) to let us take X amount of a given item. Or a quickselect button to give us 10 of each healing item, ideally customizable in or out of game. (Take twenty stimpacks, five super stimpacks, 5 Doctor's bags, 5 of each chem, etc.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Made it to meeting the legion before quitting on this game. One of the worst games I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Hobo on Fire posted:

Leave it as is. It's only a minor inconvenience, and those displays look great.

Agreed. I love how they look and I don't really care about taking from the display shelves, especially if there's a container where I can just grab from what I need.