Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

goatface posted:

I think even Popeye would stop short of showing a child being hanged on the comics page, no matter how poorly it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

God that Petey face is amazing. :allears:
That Alice face is pretty good too.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

And that, children, is where roofies come from!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know why I decided to look this up. Swimsuit calenders are the skeeviest thing.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

I was so disappointed when I learned that those dogs don't actually carry alcohol with them.

Four Eyes

Same joke as always, but I do have to admit that I like the confused skort.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This is dumb, but at least the plot's moving again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It really is kind of horrifying that whoever is writing The Phantom clearly thinks the Ghost Who Brags is a hero and not a total jerk.

But then, that's kind of true of a lot of things, many of them in this very thread.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

The writer for this is loving awful and so short-sighted. Almost every single strip has featured a stupid FUTURE! deus-ex-machina which means that by the time actual conflict happens the only way to resolve it is another FUTURE! deus-ex-machina. The characters are essentially ungrowable because every single issue they have can be resolved simply by using any of the devices already introduced - the only way to challenge them is to introduce yet more deus-ex-machina that exist only to foil the existing ones, and the plot can never build tension because the audience is just waiting for the next piece of tech to magic them out of the predicament they were just magicked into. Beyond how clusterfucked it is now, it's just going to descend into a constant spiral of needing new things to be introduced to move the plot/action along instead of actions or motives; or the audience constantly questioning why they aren't using their old things.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Sloth, is that you?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

The writer for this is loving awful and so short-sighted. Almost every single strip has featured a stupid FUTURE! deus-ex-machina which means that by the time actual conflict happens the only way to resolve it is another FUTURE! deus-ex-machina. The characters are essentially ungrowable because every single issue they have can be resolved simply by using any of the devices already introduced - the only way to challenge them is to introduce yet more deus-ex-machina that exist only to foil the existing ones, and the plot can never build tension because the audience is just waiting for the next piece of tech to magic them out of the predicament they were just magicked into. Beyond how clusterfucked it is now, it's just going to descend into a constant spiral of needing new things to be introduced to move the plot/action along instead of actions or motives; or the audience constantly questioning why they aren't using their old things.

That's a good complaint. The entire premise of the comic is that he's the last operating private investigator, so it follows that with the old fashioned job the character would use old fashioned equipment. It's not exactly the most original premise ever, but it does at least make it seem natural for the character to use their wits to get out of a situation instead of just whipping out some new gadget.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Wanamingo posted:

That's a good complaint. The entire premise of the comic is that he's the last operating private investigator, so it follows that with the old fashioned job the character would use old fashioned equipment. It's not exactly the most original premise ever, but it does at least make it seem natural for the character to use their wits to get out of a situation instead of just whipping out some new gadget.

And that's why he used a magical talking (but pacificistic LOL) gun instead of just a loving glock or whatever.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well you wouldn't use an atlanticistic gun, would you?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Poor Sir Herald. He supports anything that can be done to save Maude, but really, breaking someone out of prison? That has to be pushing it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainCaveman posted:

Sloth, is that you?
Phil's jaw gets longer with each cartoon strip. He should really get his pituitary gland checked out.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Poor Sir Herald. He supports anything that can be done to save Maude, but really, breaking someone out of prison? That has to be pushing it.

I'll take Modesty Blaise in any shape I can get it, but the return of the well-preserved strips is awesome. Romero's art has really grown on me, and with these clear sharp scans you can really appreciate the detail and composition of every panel. Even the lettering is beautiful. :swoon:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

If there is one thing that Brooke loves to draw, it's a dirty oar.

Please do not tell me that Brooke is going to have Romeo slay Tybalt with a goddamn loving OAR.

Most of this has just been pathetic but NOW YOU ARE MAKING ME ANGRY MCELDOWNEY.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bonestructure posted:

I'll take Modesty Blaise in any shape I can get it, but the return of the well-preserved strips is awesome. Romero's art has really grown on me, and with these clear sharp scans you can really appreciate the detail and composition of every panel. Even the lettering is beautiful. :swoon:

There are honestly times when I'm a bit lost on the story but I have to enlarge these just to check out the gorgeous art. (And not even when Romero gets all cheesecakey! Not necessarily, anyway...)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

This comic is so good.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Maxwell Lord posted:

Please do not tell me that Brooke is going to have Romeo slay Tybalt with a goddamn loving OAR.

Most of this has just been pathetic but NOW YOU ARE MAKING ME ANGRY MCELDOWNEY.

He's good at that.

I mostly try to ignore Mceldowney anymore, but what's getting to me now is swords have weight, and you have to mind your own center of mass to handle one. It's a hella good workout even if somebody's not trying to kill you. You don't dance around with them all floaty and swoopy on tiptoe, dammit. Also, he draws the blade a different length in every. stinkin. panel.

Joining you in the angry corner.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nyeehg posted:

I had to stare at this a good while before I realised Mary had any eyes in that second panel.

Julet Esqu posted:

Here's a few options:

I made a couple as well.

I really hosed up the transparency on that second one though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

This is freaking me out a little because I distinctly remember finding a pile of shoes in the woods near my house when I was a kid. It gave me the willies so I only went into that part of the woods that one time for fear of being raped and murdered by a hobo or something. I've always wondered if it was real or my imagination.

Welp. Comics then!

F Minus

Mary Worth

Can't help but notice he doesn't say he won't do drugs again.

Rex Morgan MD

I don't know if this was made clear earlier, but while RMMD wasn't being posted, Sarah caught her babysitter making out with her boyfriend while she was watching Sarah or something, so I assume she means to blackmail her.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

:allears: Look at that perfect terrier LOOK AT HIM.

Scary Gary

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

She's actually apothecary class. Witches do status effects.

Retail

There are a handful that are still worth mad cash like the Princess Di bear. You just had to have the clairvoyance to know which ones. The rest are children's hospital worthy.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Bleeker could tolerate the dirty socks and snack wrappers littering the ground in Skip's room, but underwear was the last straw.

Dustin

Dustin's mom could help out by not making so many cakes and brownies, and Steve Kelley could diversify the jokes. We hit the "Ed's weight" bingo square yesterday.

On the Fastrack

"She thinks she's the brightest, hottest star in the universe, but really she's just a yellow dwarf."

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

First schools, now churches? Where are they getting the money for tablets?

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 2, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Manually scrolling through 313 hymns sounds like a huge pain in the arse, too.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I get the feeling that the three people involved in the writing, drawing, and coloring of this comic are each competent at their jobs in a vacuum. Somehow, the three of them all working together, however, produce something much worse than any one of them would normally put out.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Bleh. 5:18am on Sunday morning. I've been up for 1.5 hours. What the hell. Oh well, here are some Insomnia Comix

Sorcery now, Wiley?

Heavenly Nostrils is back on track, so here are Saturday's and this morning's:

:v:

Um, I played Atari "Battlezone" when it was brand new. :corsair:

9 Chickweed Lane 3/2/2003

:ughh:

Zits

"Deserving Porcupine"?

Kell's rear end is huge. There's a change for ya.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Is the guy who writes Gil and Retail from New England? I never noticed it before but Gil says all sorts of crap like "wicked" as an intensifier that me and my friends would have said growing up outside Boston and I later found out no one else says.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Whatever you say, Nancy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Whatever you say, Nancy.

Wow, Gilchrist sure is getting bitter.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (March 5, 1967)

The Flying Ace was lost over the Somme during the German offensive in the spring of '18. Some say he was brought down by ground fire. Others say he got bored and decided to be the World's Greatest Grocery Clerk for a while. :patriot:

Funky Winkerbean

Classic Popeye Sunday, in which Olive has a cunning plan (for romance!), but the sailor tries to go all Foxy Grandpa on us. (c. 1941)

Pogo (March 8, 1970)

First-Gen Blondie in which we meet the baby...eventually. (c. 1941)

Out Our Way (July 18-19, 1924)

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Magna Kaser posted:

Is the guy who writes Gil and Retail from New England? I never noticed it before but Gil says all sorts of crap like "wicked" as an intensifier that me and my friends would have said growing up outside Boston and I later found out no one else says.

Yes. RI and MA.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Already answered, but I realized Gil was from Rhode Island when his mom suggested they go the beach and he replied with "Yay Clamcakes!"

I miss clamcakes.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac is too high-brow for the crowd.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Say Nothing posted:

Phil's jaw gets longer with each cartoon strip. He should really get his pituitary gland checked out.

Really this might explain a lot of Phil's design changes in the last year if you think abotu it.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

It's a bustle :colbert:

:golfclap:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When I was a kid, I had glow-in-the-dark Silly Putty, and I knew two things about it. One, the brighter the light it was exposed to, the more it would glow. Two, the more I could stretch it out, the more light it would be able to absorb.

So I found the brightest lamp in the house, spread the putty directly onto the bulb, and left it on all day. Disastrously Bad Idea Comix.

Okay, I guess this proves that Poncho can't be a boston terrier, since those french bulldogs don't resemble allen keys in the slightest.

Ballard Street

It is a warning to the other instruments. Liberate tutame ex inferis.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Story 9 - Moomin Falls in Love

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, I guess this proves that Poncho can't be a boston terrier, since those french bulldogs don't resemble allen keys in the slightest.

I used to think he was something of a miniature bull terrier which is why I made him one in those old edits, mostly because of the schnoz.
I only made him a Boston terrier in the last edit because I thought it was established he was one somewhere.
Frankly I have no idea what breed Hudson is since his mouth is always jumping all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poncho says he is "just dog." http://poochcafe.com/?cat=4

Wikipedia says he's a mutt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooch_Caf%C3%A9

• Locked thread